PDA

View Full Version : Ok I'll ask...

CadaverDawg
04-22-2016, 11:44 PM
How concerned should we be about Hudson? 3 straight starts where he's been hammered pretty good. Is this the real Hudson, or will we see the early season Huddy again? The more I see him get hit, the less confident I am that we can make a deep postseason run.

Thoughts?

gravedigger
04-22-2016, 11:50 PM
He's fine in my opinion. Florida, A&m, LSU, are tough customers.

Skydawg1
04-22-2016, 11:52 PM
How concerned should we be about Hudson? 3 straight starts where he's been hammered pretty good. Is this the real Hudson, or will we see the early season Huddy again? The more I see him get hit, the less confident I am that we can make a deep postseason run.

Thoughts?I'm more concerned with Rigby giving up the grand slam. Hudson is, and always will be, a head case.

messageboardsuperhero
04-22-2016, 11:53 PM
Tough customers who all had several weakly hit balls find holes... I'll be more worried when teams start stringing together hard hit balls in the gap and over the fence.

But yes, you will not find better competition than what we've faced the last three weeks.

JohnnyQuid
04-22-2016, 11:56 PM
He's not being hit hard. ok he's not getting swing and misses but he had a few Ks in huge spots when he NEEDED it.

hudson is fine - it's the sec and lsu at home. also, no ace is always on. in reality he gave up 4 in 7+. the grand slam was an anomaly on a night where rigby just didn't have it.

TLDR - full confidence in hudson

CadaverDawg
04-22-2016, 11:56 PM
He's fine in my opinion. Florida, A&m, LSU, are tough customers.

True, i hope that's all it is. Seems like he needs to get back to pitching like Hump where he knows he throws gas, so he dares you to catch up with it. Seems like that would make his cutter much more difficult to hit. Right now it's like teams are just sitting on his off speed stuff bc he throws it too much. When you throw 96+, throw 96+ a lot.

I may be way off though. I listened on the radio to the first 5 innings or so, so I didn't see the pitches they were ripping...just basing it off of Fla & A&M

JohnnyQuid
04-22-2016, 11:57 PM
I'm more concerned with Rigby giving up the grand slam. Hudson is, and always will be, a head case.

it's one night where he was obviously rattled. he'll be fine too

CadaverDawg
04-22-2016, 11:59 PM
I'm more concerned with Rigby giving up the grand slam. Hudson is, and always will be, a head case.

I think Rigby let the moment get the best of him. Better in a win than a loss. He just jumped onto the scene, so it will be a good learning experience. I think he'll be fine. If we see another bad outing, I'll start to worry some...but he was due for a shaky outing. Dude has been nails this year out of nowhere

gravedigger
04-23-2016, 12:00 AM

Im probably going to regret this cause my pastor reads this board, but im less dissapointed in rigby giving up the granny than i am in him missing their heads.

gravedigger
04-23-2016, 12:01 AM
True, i hope that's all it is. Seems like he needs to get back to pitching like Hump where he knows he throws gas, so he dares you to catch up with it. Seems like that would make his cutter much more difficult to hit. Right now it's like teams are just sitting on his off speed stuff bc he throws it too much. When you throw 96+, throw 96+ a lot.

I may be way off though. I listened on the radio to the first 5 innings or so, so I didn't see the pitches they were ripping...just basing it off of Fla & A&M

Eggggsssactly

JohnnyQuid
04-23-2016, 12:02 AM
Im probably going to regret this cause my pastor reads this board, but im less dissapointed in rigby giving up the granny than i am in him missing their heads.

LOL. by how their fans reacted might as well done that. ****ers shoulda been cheering

CadaverDawg
04-23-2016, 12:03 AM

Haha, well said.

JohnnyQuid
04-23-2016, 12:05 AM

when u have elite stuff I'd rather a guy challenge ppl early and get ahead - and if they hit u fine. getting 2-0 3-1 on guys early immediately gives them a leg up no matter how good u are.

he's gone 2-0 a ton the past 3 weeks.

so yea totally agree

djaymsu5
04-23-2016, 12:25 AM
They were hitting him more and more but people have occasionally hit him all year. Teams are just getting the scouting reports on him now and know his cutter is filthy so they sit fastball. I think he would have given a stronger outing had Collins not dropped that line drive that hit off his glove. We should have been out of the inning their with LSU not scoring. That's what started the rally

Dawg61
04-23-2016, 01:09 AM
Hudson keeps nibbling the plate instead of pumping 96 mph and challenging the hitters on first strike. He needs to get ahead in the counts and then throw the cutter/slider that ends up being a ball. The hitters are forced to swing when they're behind in counts. Basically he's not being aggressive enough.

War Machine Dawg
04-23-2016, 03:03 AM
when u have elite stuff I'd rather a guy challenge ppl early and get ahead - and if they hit u fine. getting 2-0 3-1 on guys early immediately gives them a leg up no matter how good u are.

he's gone 2-0 a ton the past 3 weeks.

so yea totally agree

Also runs up your pitch count and keeps you from getting deeper into games, although that hasn't been a huge problem for Huddy.

msstate7
04-23-2016, 04:48 AM
Remember Hudson hasn't been a full time starter in his career. We've stretched him out a lot this year. I'm concerned he's experiencing fatigue.

engie
04-23-2016, 06:03 AM
Remember Hudson hasn't been a full time starter in his career. We've stretched him out a lot this year. I'm concerned he's experiencing fatigue.

Yep. He's hitting a little bit of a midseason wall. Still think he's going to be fine though.

Jarius
04-23-2016, 06:58 AM
He really didn't pitch bad last night. Collins had what should have been an error at 3rd that cost us 2 runs and the double play that the little fat guy hit into that they called safe at first cost us runs as well. He ran out of gas in the 7th as his pitch count elevated and Cohen waited a little long to pull him. He had a bunch of softly hit ground balls find holes. I'm not worried about him.

msstate7
04-23-2016, 07:05 AM
He really didn't pitch bad last night. Collins had what should have been an error at 3rd that cost us 2 runs and the double play that the little fat guy hit into that they called safe at first cost us runs as well. He ran out of gas in the 7th as his pitch count elevated and Cohen waited a little long to pull him. He had a bunch of softly hit ground balls find holes. I'm not worried about him.

Last 3 starts combined...

18.1 ip 30 h 16 er 6 bb 14 k

That's an era of 7.96 and a whip of 1.99.

You may not be concerned, but I am... Those are horrible numbers

shannondawg
04-23-2016, 07:27 AM
Most if those hits were ground balls that normal would be outs, but were unreal in how they were in the gaps.

whosyourdawgy
04-23-2016, 07:28 AM
I'm no pitching coach and my opinion is for shit but I have watched the last 3 games online and each game it seems teams are just hitting opposite field grouders or singles to the outfield on him a ton. That must be the scouting report. The announcers even said this in each game. For you gurus, what is Hudson doing that these teams have caught on to and are taking advantage of?

dawgoneyall
04-23-2016, 07:37 AM

Thoughts?

Remember the first runs were caused by an error (scorer gave a hit) by Collins.

msstate7
04-23-2016, 07:46 AM
Hudson isn't my only concern though... We've given up 10, 10, 10, and 8 in our last 4 sec games. We desperately need sexton to get our pitching staff going in the right direction today

msstate7
04-23-2016, 07:46 AM
Remember the first runs were caused by an error (scorer gave a hit) by Collins.

Collins should've made the play, but it was a rocket.

GreenheadDawg
04-23-2016, 07:52 AM
LOL. by how their fans reacted might as well done that. ****ers shoulda been cheering

Haha seriously. I'm pretty sure I saw a 90 year old man with a walker beating his chest, ready to fight Rigby.

Taog Redloh
04-23-2016, 08:07 AM

Thoughts?

He's not getting hammered. He got a lot of ground balls last night....which is also a credit to LSU.

basedog
04-23-2016, 09:15 AM
Lsu is 2nd in conference play with hitting. Aggies are #1. Hudson will be fine.

msstate7
04-23-2016, 09:20 AM

Throw Florida in there too... They're all good hitting teams, but Hudson is just as good of a pitcher as they are at hitting... He's just not getting it done. I'm hoping it's just a funk and not fatigue.

Taog Redloh
04-23-2016, 09:34 AM

It really is unreal how LSU reloads. They lost their whole lineup last year and come back with newcomers and still rake.

State82
04-23-2016, 09:40 AM
It really is unreal how LSU reloads. They lost their whole lineup last year and come back with newcomers and still rake.

I hate corn dog baseball for this very reason.

BulldogBacker
04-23-2016, 10:02 AM
If you watch his ball placement, Hudson has given up almost all his bigger hits by getting "up" in the strike zone. Having been a pitcher myself, years ago admittedly, that is an indication of tired legs. A pitcher gets both his power and accuracy from his body mechanics, and that starts with his legs and hips. If he can't rotate his hips fully, it makes the ball go higher. He also added a cut fastball this year, which is most effective delivered on the corners at the knees and forcing the batter to go fishing for it. If it is delivered too high, it takes both a little bend off and speed off and has been hit. The umpires the last few outings have not been kind to him, frequently calling perfect cutters at the corners balls, which forced him to also bring the pitch up.

In short, if I were the pitching coach, I would have him on the bike until the day prior to an outing. I'd also make him wear weights on his ankles all season, with them taken off during warmups and the day prior to an outing. The greatest fastball pitchers know where their power comes from. They had great arms, but strong legs and hips.

AlSwearengen
04-23-2016, 10:51 AM
This is what I was seeing with Hudson last night. He appeared to be using the fastball almost exclusively two times through the lineup and that is when he was giving up the hard grounders through the infield. I was telling myself that he needs to start mixing it up and when he finally did, LSU quit hitting him the way they were early in the game. I'm sure that is a game plan that they were following.

Another thing with Hudson is that he is going to do some head scratching shit from time to time. Trying to flip it home with his glove on the safety squeeze was a bed shitting moment. Still early enough in the game that you just take the out. I was curious as to why lsu made that move, but they might have been seeing if we would screw it up, which we did.

It also seems that he goes through spurts where his command just leaves him for awhile. It seems like we get a lot of good arms that are inconsistent.

weblow
04-23-2016, 11:07 AM
I was at the game last night and I will say this, if LSU was allowed to stand on home plate and throw the ball instead of hit it, they couldn't have placed their hits in better spots. I realize it is what good hitters do but they just simply hit ground balls where our players weren't.

Hudson is fine....I also think he got rattled by their fans last night too. It was so damn loud and he started to unravel a bit.
He will be fine.

My bigger concern is our fielding right now. Collins misses that liner, yes it was screaming, but he had his glove up and just missed it. Plus Gridley and Stovall can't turn what should have been 2 routine double plays. When you are battling a top 10 team at their house, especially at a place like the Box, help your damn pitcher out.

We make those 3 plays and we smoke LSU last night.

I am also a little baffled at how we continue to mess the sheets damn near every time we attempt to field a bunt. I just don't get it.

Lot of fun last night watching the crowd unravel as they realized we were going to lose.

parabrave
04-23-2016, 11:25 AM
Eggggsssactly

Yep and now that its this far into the season all of the teams have film and notes on him. He and the coaches need to make minor adjustments.

War Machine Dawg
04-23-2016, 11:33 AM

This has kinda been my thinking too. Which is why I wish we had managed him a little better a month ago. But it's already done, gotta find a way to work through it.

War Machine Dawg
04-23-2016, 11:38 AM
I was at the game last night and I will say this, if LSU was allowed to stand on home plate and throw the ball instead of hit it, they couldn't have placed their hits in better spots. I realize it is what good hitters do but they just simply hit ground balls where our players weren't.

Hudson is fine....I also think he got rattled by their fans last night too. It was so damn loud and he started to unravel a bit.
He will be fine.

My bigger concern is our fielding right now. Collins misses that liner, yes it was screaming, but he had his glove up and just missed it. Plus Gridley and Stovall can't turn what should have been 2 routine double plays. When you are battling a top 10 team at their house, especially at a place like the Box, help your damn pitcher out.

We make those 3 plays and we smoke LSU last night.

I am also a little baffled at how we continue to mess the sheets damn near every time we attempt to field a bunt. I just don't get it.

Lot of fun last night watching the crowd unravel as they realized we were going to lose.

We miss Belmont really bad. Gridley has zero range and the arm strength of a wet noodle at SS. He needs to be at 2B. Collins is a bad DH, i.e. can hit the occasional bomb but won't crack .260. He's gotten better defensively, but he couldn't have gotten much worse. Cutting Reynolds was just a really dumb decision on so many levels. But no use beating the dead horse, got to find another way to fix it. Belmont getting healthy should go a long way. If no one at 2B is gonna hit, might as well go back to Belmont and our best defensive lineup. We're pretty much screwed at 3B unless we want to give Stovall a shot.

Jarius
04-23-2016, 11:48 AM
Last 3 starts combined...

18.1 ip 30 h 16 er 6 bb 14 k

That's an era of 7.96 and a whip of 1.99.

You may not be concerned, but I am... Those are horrible numbers

The numbers may not be good (and he did get lit up by A&M), but he did not pitch bad last night. If you watched the game you saw a bunch of softly hit ground balls that found a hole, and you saw our infielders not turning routine double plays and dropping line drives that hit them right in the glove.

Tbaen
04-23-2016, 12:00 PM
He's keeping the ball up, falling behind in counts and is very average from his goofy stretch. It all flows from keeping the ball up, which could be a minor mechanics issue or a tired arm. I'm concerned.

PS I hate mid-season "awards". They are almost always a harbinger of late season setbacks.

the59dawg
04-23-2016, 12:16 PM
He's keeping the ball up, falling behind in counts and is very average from his goofy stretch. It all flows from keeping the ball up, which could be a minor mechanics issue or a tired arm. I'm concerned.

PS I hate mid-season "awards". They are almost always a harbinger of late season setbacks.

In his earlier in the year starts, he came out blazing throwing fastballs and 60+% strikes. Now he is hitting batters and walking players in no-out situations in the 1st 3-4 innings which forces him out of the full windup. I think he is very weak from the stretch and loses too much off the fast ball. Somebody can do the stats but I would bet over 50% of his hits against come off him pitching from the stretch.

Jarius
04-23-2016, 01:22 PM

Giving up a bunch of ground balls isn't from keeping the ball up, and that's almost exclusively what he gave up Last night.

msstate7
04-23-2016, 01:26 PM
Giving up a bunch of ground balls isn't from keeping the ball up.
Normally I'd love a ground ball pitcher, but we're really weak defensively on the infield right now. Collins is awful. Gridley is a 2b playing short. Stovall is pretty solid at 2b. Lowe doesn't have any range.

Jarius
04-23-2016, 01:29 PM
Normally I'd love a ground ball pitcher, but we're really weak defensively on the infield right now. Collins is awful. Gridley is a 2b playing short. Stovall is pretty solid at 2b. Lowe doesn't have any range.

That's what I'm trying to get at. Our problem is our infield is very mediocre at times, and last night they cost us 4 runs when Hudson was in the game.

msstate7
04-23-2016, 01:37 PM
That's what I'm trying to get at. Our problem is our infield is very mediocre at times, and last night they cost us 4 runs when Hudson was in the game.

Alexander to SS and Gridley to 2b could go a long way helping Hudson and all our pitchers. Not sure what to do about 3b

State82
04-23-2016, 02:17 PM
Not sure what to do about 3b

You're not alone. Neither does Cohen.

War Machine Dawg
04-23-2016, 03:10 PM
Alexander to SS and Gridley to 2b could go a long way helping Hudson and all our pitchers. Not sure what to do about 3b

You're not alone. Neither does Cohen.

I keep saying that I'd give Stovall a shot. Yeah, we might lose Collins or Kruger's bat, but I'll trade it for good D at the hot corner. And didn't Stovall play some 3B during fall ball? Can't be much worse than playing E5 every day.

ETA: Thought just occurred to me, could Holland play 3B? He's a former SS, suggesting he has the athleticism and arm to make the transition.

basedog
04-23-2016, 04:01 PM
Well it may not seem like we are all that good fielding but take a look:

Fielding pct
------------
1. Florida............. .985
2. Texas A&M........... .980
3. South Carolina...... .980
4. Mississippi State... .976
5. LSU................. .976
6. Arkansas............ .975
7. Vanderbilt.......... .974
8. Ole Miss............ .972
9. Alabama............. .972
10.Kentucky............ .969
11.Tennessee........... .968
12.Georgia............. .967
13.Auburn.............. .961
14.Missouri............ .959

I just looked at all of the stats for Sec teams, we are ranked very high in most of the overall stats. Florida may have the best talent but the Aggies are much better especially in the offensive stats, we are right up there as well.

msstate7
04-23-2016, 04:05 PM
Well it may not seem like we are all that good fielding but take a look:

Fielding pct
------------
1. Florida............. .985
2. Texas A&M........... .980
3. South Carolina...... .980
4. Mississippi State... .976
5. LSU................. .976
6. Arkansas............ .975
7. Vanderbilt.......... .974
8. Ole Miss............ .972
9. Alabama............. .972
10.Kentucky............ .969
11.Tennessee........... .968
12.Georgia............. .967
13.Auburn.............. .961
14.Missouri............ .959

I just looked at all of the stats for Sec teams, we are ranked very high in most of the overall stats. Florida may have the best talent but the Aggies are much better especially in the offensive stats, we are right up there as well.

Fielding % doesn't take into consideration things like Collins should've made that play last night, Stovall/Gridley not turning 2 dp's, and range. Range is a huge fault of fielding %. Nick Markakis was 1.000% for a couple of years in rf... Do you think he was a better rf than Jason heyward?

basedog
04-23-2016, 04:28 PM
Fielding % doesn't take into consideration things like Collins should've made that play last night, Stovall/Gridley not turning 2 dp's, and range. Range is a huge fault of fielding %. Nick Markakis was 1.000% for a couple of years in rf... Do you think he was a better rf than Jason heyward?

Hey, I'm just saying our defensive stats are right at the top, seems other Sec teams have way more problems. As for as Lowe and you being a little down of him because of his range, he has made one error this year, he's pretty good!
I could care less about some ML fielding %, what does that have to do with Msu?
Collins is the one concern, catching was iffy earlier, Gridley is ok at ss, it's not like he is killing us with his glove.

Look ahead and I wish there was more talk about what the good is than crying over the past errors, we are getting better on defense and the stats say we are. Errors, walks and hit batters are part of the game, you want to avoid those but we are overcoming some of our flaws with timely hitting which we are damn good!

I like our "It". Like Big Ben stated last night, "Miss State is for real"!