PDA

View Full Version : Live chat with Scott Stricklin

slickdawg
08-16-2013, 01:15 PM
Live Chat with Athletic Director Scott Stricklin

Friday August 16, 2013
12:52
Scott Stricklin: We are almost ready to start!
1:02
Scott Stricklin: Beginning shortly. Waiting for Bob C.
1:03
Comment From Dave Robertson
What is the status of the expansion and renovation of the softball and tennis complex?
1:06
Scott Stricklin: The design, which is nearly complete, would provide a new brick grandstand at softball and extend the tennis grandstand to run across the length of all six courts. Both facilities would have maroon chairback seats and other amenities.
Initial estimates are the in $5-7 million range for the combined project. Identifying that funding is the next step in the project.
1:08
Comment From Brad
Are we planning to complete the brick all the way around the SW Elevator? Or are we going with rails and leaving it open? Hopefully we continue the pre-cast all the way around the South side at least.
1:08
Scott Stricklin: The plans call for brick on west and south side of elevator shaft. The east side (facing the field) will be painted to match the precast. The railing that is up now is mostly temporary. Final railings will look more "finished"
1:10
Comment From Guest
Hey Scott, how many fans will be able to sit in the north end zone for the first game and will that number increase by the Egg Bowl?
1:11
Scott Stricklin: We anticipate about 1,800 students being able to sit in the north end zone this year. That will stay constant for 2013. Obviously the number will go up substantially next year.
Comment From Kent
I have found the expansion and renovation of DWS to be extremely fascinating. Can you post the layout of the expansion?
Scott Stricklin: Let me see if we can get those layouts posted at MSUbulldogclub.com
1:12
Scott Stricklin: In the meantime, all of our photo galleries, renderings and videos can be found here: http://msubulldogclub.com/reseating/gallery/
1:14
Comment From Michael
I heard Miami Louisville & others are only signing schedule posters at fan day because of the recent news about getting paid to sign autographs. Can MSU fans still bring helmets and footballs to fan day to get signed?
1:14
Scott Stricklin: We are still discussing the best way to handle for our Aug. 24 Fan Day. The approach you mention is something being considered. Obviously, we want to provide our great fans with the chance to interact with our players, but also protect the eligibility of our student-athletes. Recent news events make it more challenging today than in the past.

slickdawg
08-16-2013, 01:19 PM
1:17
Comment From Andrew
How will the in game commercials and advertisements be different this year? I saw you mention it was being addressed last week some time I think.
1:17
Scott Stricklin: Bulldog Sports Properties and our marketing staff have reduced all in-game commercials from 30 seconds to 15 seconds, effectively cutting the amount of commercial time in half on gameday. The time that is gained will be utilized to provide more interaction (music, videos, band, etc) for our fans.
1:18
Comment From John
How much longer will fans be able to purchase engraved bricks that will go in the stadium?
1:19
Scott Stricklin: Dec 31, 2013 to have your brick ready for the 2014 season opener. Again, MSUbulldogclub.com has all the ordering info
Bob Carskadon: Made it! Sorry I'm late, but this seems to be moving along just fine anyway. Keep the questions coming. Facilities and game days seem to be the hot topics.

ShotgunDawg
08-16-2013, 01:20 PM
YEA, less commercials!!!!!

Bulldog Sports Properties and our marketing staff have reduced all in-game commercials from 30 seconds to 15 seconds, effectively cutting the amount of commercial time in half on gameday. The time that is gained will be utilized to provide more interaction (music, videos, band, etc) for our fans.

slickdawg
08-16-2013, 01:21 PM
Comment From David Magee
How many students sat in the north end zone in the old bleachers?
1:20
Scott Stricklin: About 2,600. Game management and ticket office is working with student association to find alternative locations for students in order to ensure all students with tickets can be accommodated.

slickdawg
08-16-2013, 01:29 PM
1:28
Comment From Andrew
What is the status of expansion and renovation of Dudy Noble?
Comment From David Magee
Are there any plans to renovate Dudy Noble Field?
Comment From Steve Brantley
Scott, seems like I heard you say we have a plan for Dudy Noble but must find the funding next. When do you plan to show the plans and can you tell us a few things today?
Scott Stricklin: So, any interest in Dudy Noble ...

We have begun preliminary planning for the future of DNF. Don't know when we will be far enough along to share renderings, but we have some priorities that will shape those conversations. And, at some point, we will engage fans to get their thoughts before we get too far down the road.

Priorities include improving aesthetics, maintaining ability to have large crowds (14,000-plus) without making the place swallow up moderate-sized crowds (say 5,000 or so), adding restrooms and concessions, enhancing and maintaining the Left Field Lounge and providing new premium seat opportunities. And, of course, we always look for ways to enhance the areas that directly impact our players, such as locker rooms.

slickdawg
08-16-2013, 01:30 PM
1:30
Comment From Travis
How much input does the University have on new Adidas uniform designs? They've had a mixed reaction from the fanbase.
1:30
Scott Stricklin: Uniform design is a collaborative effort between our coaches, student-athletes, marketing staff, equipment staff and Adidas. Obviously, uniforms drive a lot of opinions, both good and bad. Makes for interesting conversations.

slickdawg
08-16-2013, 01:31 PM
1:31
Comment From James
Any giveaways to early-arriving fans who get to their seats 3 hours before kickoff?
1:31
Scott Stricklin: Good idea.

slickdawg
08-16-2013, 01:39 PM
1:32
Comment From Andrew
Is there a plan to convert the student ticket process to the ID cards? And is there any chance students will ever be able to convert tickets to non-student tickets for some nominal fee?
1:33
Scott Stricklin: There have been discussions. There is a hardware cost for the number of scanners you would need to accommodate 11,000 students in a short time span. Along with potential internet costs to make sure those scanners are connected.
1:34
Comment From Andrew
Will the block of LSU/Alabama/Ole Miss all being home or away every be broken up? It gives us a really good home schedule one year, and then a less exciting one the next.
1:35
Scott Stricklin: All future schedule models I've seen up to this point from the league office has Alabama, LSU and OM at home in the same years. But we haven't seen a schedule for 2015 or beyond, so I guess there's a chance.
Comment From Will
How many memberships remain available for the new Gridiron Club? Really looking forward to experiencing it in 2014.
Scott Stricklin: About 25 percent of the 750 available memberships have been sold. Still a year to go so the response has been pretty good
1:38
Comment From John
Did you have any input in the new tailgating policy?
Scott Stricklin: All affected parts of campus (athletics, students, alumni, facilities, etc) were consulted and made aware of the recommendation regarding commercial tailgate operators. I agree with the overall plan, but more communication needs to occur to make sure those being affected understand better the University's thought process.
Comment From BOBBY
I HAVE NOT SEEN ANTHING ON MICHEAL CARR SINCE SPRING IS HE STILL ON THE TEAMB
Scott Stricklin: No
Comment From Will
Will elevators be added to the northwest corner of the stadium next season similar to the ones added this year to the southwest corner?
1:39
Scott Stricklin: Yes.

slickdawg
08-16-2013, 01:48 PM
Bob Carskadon: To jump in for a moment, I've been talking with people about the new tailgating policies and am in the process of putting together a story explaining everything that went into it and what the end result is/will be.
Comment From jeff
i will be flying into houston for the game. do you know if there will be shuttles from the hotel to the stadium?
Scott Stricklin: I don't. If I hear of any I will tweet something out
1:42
Comment From Josh Pennington
I'm pretty excited about many of the new features in the expansion, specifically the Gridiron. What's your favorite aspect of the new expansion?
1:42
Scott Stricklin: Hard to pick. Gridiron and Scoreboard Club will both be cool for different reasons. And I'm excited about the new concourse on the west side being ready this season.

But I would probably say the brick facade is my favorite part. Despite the expense, IMO you can't have enough brick.
1:43
Comment From Johnathon
The Famous Maroon Band posted a picture this morning on Facebook with them being in Section P again. Is the band going to be mic'd up so the stadium can hear them?
1:43
Scott Stricklin: It's a possibility.
1:44
Comment From Andrew
Is there a timeline for the installing of the rest of the concrete seating panels? I want it to be loud for the Bama and Ole Miss games.
Scott Stricklin: The concrete seating treads are scheduled to begin installation in Nov., so I'm guessing some will be in place by mid- to late-Nov.
Comment From Travis
The quality and variety of MSU merchandise can be disappointing at times. Is there any discussion within the Ath Dept about moving MSU to the Collegiate Licensing Co.?
1:45
Scott Stricklin: Licensing for MSU isn't handled by Athletics. It's run out of the University Counsel's office. LRG does a good job for us, but I know that CLC is a good firm also.
Comment From Mary Ann
The stadium expansion and the new brick façade is really looking good. I can't wait for all of the fans to see all of the progress that has been made. I am ready for some football!!
Scott Stricklin: me too
Comment From Will
The chairback seats that will be at field level on both sides of the Gridiron Club... who will sit there? I don't see an option to purchase seats in those areas on the Bulldog Club website.
1:46
Scott Stricklin: Good question. Those are 30-person boxes that will be leased on a game-by-game basis. Contact Bart Gregory in the Bulldog Club for more info if you are interested in sitting there for a game.
1:47
Comment From mark
Has any consideration/discussion been given to a back-and-forth cheer of Bull-Dawgs? That is, in addition to and not a replacement of the popular Maroooon-White?
Scott Stricklin: Not that I'm aware of.
Comment From tmsdawgs
I saw where tailgate setup companies will pay a fee to be able to do that next yr. Is the plan to eventually bring all that in house?
Scott Stricklin: No
1:48
Comment From Brian
Is there plans for the Upper Decks to go to Priority Seating next year?
Scott Stricklin: No current plans to do so.
Comment From Kendrick Jacobs
What's the plan for students entering the stadium with the north entrance being unavailable this year?

slickdawg
08-16-2013, 01:52 PM
Comment From Kendrick Jacobs
What's the plan for students entering the stadium with the north entrance being unavailable this year?
1:49
Scott Stricklin: Still have 10 student gates in the SE corner, along with four gates that was cut out on east side (north of alumni house) prior to spring game. Looking at other possibilities as well.

The limited number of gates for 2013 was impetus for opening stadium up three hours before kickoff instead of two hours.
1:49
Comment From Adam
Heard a rumor that AT&T installed towers - or whatever they would be called, at the stadium. Is that true? Because my AT&T phone is normally worthless on gameday.
1:50
Scott Stricklin: They've been installed (and it's a lot of towers). I know our fans who are AT&T customers are happy to hear that.
1:50
Comment From tmsdawgs
Will all the bleachers eventually be Maroon?
1:51
Scott Stricklin: As bleachers on east and west side need to be replaced, I could envision that happening.
Comment From Stephen
Thursday night games are really tough for fans who live more than two hours away from Starkville. Any chance that we can avoid these in the future (or at least limit it to one Thursday home game per year)?
Scott Stricklin: Yes. Fan inconvenience related to Thu games is something that concerns me.
1:52
Scott Stricklin: FYI, right now I don't anticipate us playing a Thu night game in 2014.

slickdawg
08-16-2013, 01:56 PM
1:53
Comment From JD
Will the new ATT towers be enough for people to have service during the game?
Scott Stricklin: I'm sure that's AT&T's hope.
Comment From Anita
What's the plan/timing for softball complex renovation? Did we really pass up on hosting the SEC tournament this year? TGIMF from Madison, AL!!!!
1:54
Scott Stricklin: We slid back to host the 2016 SEC Softball Tournament. We can (and will) get the new softball facility done by then.
1:55
Comment From Brad
Will we brick the concrete walls inside of the north endzone (ie tunnels and concrete field level) like we did the East and West sides last year at field level?
1:55
Scott Stricklin: Yes, but that brick won't be up for this season.

slickdawg
08-16-2013, 01:56 PM
1:56
Comment From Stephen
Will the 100's section of the West Side be getting new chairbacks next year like the 200's did this year?
Scott Stricklin: That's the plan.
Comment From James
What is the fine for streaking onto the field?
Scott Stricklin: Depends on who it is :)

slickdawg
08-16-2013, 01:58 PM
1:57
Comment From Guest
How much longer does our contract with Adidas have on it and is there any chance we go with another company when it does run out?
1:58
Scott Stricklin: Current contract runs through this season. Adidas has been a great partner for MSU, going above and beyond what is contractually obligated.

slickdawg
08-16-2013, 02:03 PM
1:59
Scott Stricklin: Time for a couple more questions ...
Comment From Kent
Is the expansion progressing on the expected timeline or has the weather put it behind?
Scott Stricklin: Pretty much right on schedule. First big hurdle is obviously making sure new elevators and concourse are ready for Sept 7, and I think we're going to make that.
2:00
Comment From Andrew
Is the concession delivery service going to expand to DWS this year?
Scott Stricklin: Going to the Hump this year. Maybe DWS in 2014?
Comment From Dave
If we have suggestions/ideas for game day improvements or marketing opportunities in general, how can we submit those?
2:01
Scott Stricklin: Tweet or email any of our marketing/external staff (Scott Wetherbee, Leah Beasley, Dani Smith, Rhett Hobart, etc)
2:01
Comment From James
Favorite part about your job? and least favorite?
2:02
Scott Stricklin: Favorite part is interacting with fans. And winning!
Comment From Kent
Thanks Scott for your availability and keeping us informed. Much appreciated.

Scott Stricklin: Thanks, Kent.

Appreciate all the questions. Sorry we didn't get to all of them, but we'll try and do this again soon. Hope to see all of you in Houston on Aug. 31.

HAIL STATE!

Ghost of Hank Flick
08-16-2013, 02:17 PM
Two weeks into the job and Bob is late. Unbelievable.**

SnakePlissken
08-16-2013, 02:34 PM
Thank you so much for posting this Slick!!