PDA

View Full Version : Cam Akers to "The" Ohio State U? He apparently has some interest.

Saltydog
04-21-2016, 08:53 AM
http://www.landgrantholyland.com/2016/4/21/11475706/ohio-state-recruiting-cam-akers-mustapha-muhammad-cj-jackson

Jack Lambert
04-21-2016, 08:55 AM
He's probably running away from the shit storm that is moving into Oxford.

Irondawg
04-21-2016, 09:02 AM
If it's not MSU (and that doesn't look good) I hope he goes anywhere outside the SEC.

Tbonewannabe
04-21-2016, 09:08 AM
Are we after him or are we going all in on Hill?

mic
04-21-2016, 09:15 AM
Over / under 2.5
Times he decommits this year...
He is already at 1....

I'm taking the over..

RealHastings
04-21-2016, 09:32 AM
Over / under 2.5
He is already at 1....

I'm taking the over..

Agree. By all indications, this kid is starving for attention. Honestly, he'd fit in perfectly down at Ole Missus. But with everything going on with the investigation I just don't see him (among others) ending up there. Besides, if you compare films- him and Hill are actually pretty similar and equal but I'd give the slight advantage talent wise to Hill but a big boost to Hill due to his character. As it was already mentioned, I too hope Cam ends up outside of the SEC altogether.

ShotgunDawg
04-21-2016, 09:36 AM
Unless you just enjoy the entertainment of following Aker's recruitment, I'd just ignore him till about January 5th. Nothing he does between now and then, will have much bearing on where he goes.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-21-2016, 09:52 AM
I know a lot of people are talking like Cam to OM is a done deal. I'm not 1 of them. I think he heads OOS. UGA, LSU, & Ohio St are my guesses with UGA a slight favorite. He's an EE so he won't have as long & drawn out a circus but a circus it will be.

SDDawg
04-21-2016, 09:58 AM
I know a lot of people are talking like Cam to OM is a done deal. I'm not 1 of them. I think he heads OOS. UGA, LSU, & Ohio St are my guesses with UGA a slight favorite. He's an EE so he won't have as long & drawn out a circus but a circus it will be.

I've written off Cam (more to keep my own expectations low than anything else) and OOS would be just fine with me. We need to battle hard tho to make sure we don't lose him in-state tho, even if it's just a hedge.

TUSK
04-21-2016, 10:17 AM
He wants to go to OSU over Bammer????

Must wanna play early...*

Dawg61
04-21-2016, 10:23 AM
Unless you just enjoy the entertainment of following Aker's recruitment, I'd just ignore him till about January 5th. Nothing he does between now and then, will have much bearing on where he goes.

This is pretty much how I feel about all college football recruiting but it's more like February 5th than January.

MSUDawg99
04-21-2016, 11:35 AM
Over / under 2.5
He is already at 1....

I'm taking the over..

Who'd he decommit from already? I guess I forgot or never heard. I remember that there were rumors flying around Twitter one day about him having committed to UGA maybe (???) but he said he never committed to begin with. What's the story? I don't recall.

msstate7
04-21-2016, 11:37 AM
Who'd he decommit from already? I guess I forgot or never heard. I remember that there were rumors flying around Twitter one day about him having committed to UGA maybe (???) but he said he never committed to begin with. What's the story? I don't recall.

Bama

maroonmania
04-21-2016, 11:37 AM
He wants to go to OSU over Bammer????

Must wanna play early...*

Guess you guys weren't showing enough "love".

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
04-21-2016, 11:38 AM
Anyone that is holding onto hope that we have a shot at signing him is going to be disappointed. It seems like the elite talent is finding its way out of state again.

preachermatt83
04-21-2016, 11:40 AM
State is just as much in it as anyone is. Along with about 10 other places but I assure you he's got PPl in his camp pushing him towards state more than most realize.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
04-21-2016, 11:49 AM
Agree. By all indications, this kid is starving for attention. Honestly, he'd fit in perfectly down at Ole Missus. But with everything going on with the investigation I just don't see him (among others) ending up there. Besides, if you compare films- him and Hill are actually pretty similar and equal but I'd give the slight advantage talent wise to Hill but a big boost to Hill due to his character. As it was already mentioned, I too hope Cam ends up outside of the SEC altogether.

THIS is correct^^ Cam is along the same lines as one AJ(prima donna) Brown.....He is a great talent and would like to have him but I don't think he fits our mold. Hill although does and will be a Bulldog.

I_Spy
04-21-2016, 11:58 AM
Although I don't know Cam, he doesn't appear to be a prima donna sort. He seems to be the one who wants to continually improve his skills so why would he go to OM? Didn't OM just get a decent back? To me it's logic, state or ohio state. Do we even know if OM runs the ball yet? I don't know that. If he stays home MSU, if not, Ohio State. Lsu is a ?, in more ways than one right now and bama is a blend team. To be the IT guy, you gotta show up is all I'm saying.

I_Spy
04-21-2016, 12:00 PM
Jawja, is a ? To me as well.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-21-2016, 12:01 PM
We won't give up on Cam & we're recruiting him very hard. I'm just not holding my breath on this 1. This isn't your normal recruitment.

Tripp McNeely
04-21-2016, 12:05 PM
This isn't your normal recruitment.

Do tell

ShotgunDawg
04-21-2016, 12:30 PM
We won't give up on Cam & we're recruiting him very hard. I'm just not holding my breath on this 1. This isn't your normal recruitment.

This is kind of the problem though....most of the elite players have "irregular recruitments"

AJ Brown's recruitment was "irregular"
Lashley's recruitment was "irregular"
Breeland Speak's recruitment was "irregular"
Javon Patterson's recruitment was "irregular"
Will Redmond's recruitment was "irregular"
Leo Lewis' recruitment was "irregular"
Most of Ole Miss' signing class' recruitment was "irregular"

So..... I'm curious how we build a nationally competitive program without regularly participating & winning "irregular" recruitments?

I_Spy
04-21-2016, 12:58 PM
By being the best, naturally or getting the best out of the program. Good athletes are not always winners. It's about how much you want it and understand the game. Defense, in basketball, perfect example, How much do you want it? Those teams will beat a group of irregular. Passion is powerful. So the best value is the most knowledge in terms of assets later.

I_Spy
04-21-2016, 01:04 PM
Dan Mullen has changed from Clark Kent to superman lately (like literally), I like the guys we already have on the team, the new coaching hires and the overall momentum of state is brimming excitement.

War Machine Dawg
04-21-2016, 01:11 PM
This is kind of the problem though....most of the elite players have "irregular recruitments"

So..... I'm curious how we build a nationally competitive program without regularly participating & winning "irregular" recruitments?

Bingo. Wanna win, gotta get into the slop with the rest of the pigs. Otherwise, be content with signing classes dead last in the West and winning 6-8 games most years while never seriously contending for the division.

War Machine Dawg
04-21-2016, 01:12 PM
State is just as much in it as anyone is. Along with about 10 other places but I assure you he's got PPl in his camp pushing him towards state more than most realize.

We're officially screwed. Preachuh has spoken.
http://i.imgur.com/ocgN41k.jpg

Ifyouonlyknew
04-21-2016, 01:12 PM

There's a difference between irregular & drama.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-21-2016, 01:13 PM
Bingo. Wanna win, gotta get into the slop with the rest of the pigs. Otherwise, be content with signing classes dead last in the West and winning 6-8 games most years while never seriously contending for the division.

Well where is our network?

TUSK
04-21-2016, 01:15 PM
Guess you guys weren't showing enough "love".

Saban may have given him the pitch he used on Julio....

"We're gonna win with, or without you...."

HancockCountyDog
04-21-2016, 01:20 PM
There's a difference between irregular & drama.

I really think this recruiting cycle will be quieter between the in state schools. We will land Hill, my guess is before Big Dawg camp. We won't push for Akers because we have other needs.

The in state talent simply isn't that overwhelming this year. We will land Gay, anyone from Callaway we want. My guess is that the bears get Avery and Bowie, but I don't think they get Akers, just my opinion, no inside info on him.

Both schools are going to have survive this year on out of state prospects. There are simply not enough in state prospects, especially on the OL and DL in the state this year for both teams unless we both want to go back to 6-7 win type seasons.

Out of state recruiting will be crucial this year. Crucial. Yesterday and what I think will happen over the next few weeks in Florida is essential for our program. We have to find SEC talent that does not reside in MS. Have to get it done, I think we will.

HancockCountyDog
04-21-2016, 01:21 PM
Saban may have given him the pitch he used on Julio....

"We're gonna win with, or without you...."

Yeah, y'all only have the number 1 player in the country, who just happens to play RB committed, Im going to take a wild guess and say y'all are fine.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-21-2016, 01:31 PM
I really think this recruiting cycle will be quieter between the in state schools. We will land Hill, my guess is before Big Dawg camp. We won't push for Akers because we have other needs.

The in state talent simply isn't that overwhelming this year. We will land Gay, anyone from Callaway we want. My guess is that the bears get Avery and Bowie, but I don't think they get Akers, just my opinion, no inside info on him.

Both schools are going to have survive this year on out of state prospects. There are simply not enough in state prospects, especially on the OL and DL in the state this year for both teams unless we both want to go back to 6-7 win type seasons.

Out of state recruiting will be crucial this year. Crucial. Yesterday and what I think will happen over the next few weeks in Florida is essential for our program. We have to find SEC talent that does not reside in MS. Have to get it done, I think we will.

I think we end up with Avery also.

preachermatt83
04-21-2016, 01:34 PM
We're officially screwed. Preachuh has spoken.
http://i.imgur.com/ocgN41k.jpg

Haha!! I'm not saying we get him I'm saying we have as good of a chance as anyone right now.

starkvegasdawg
04-21-2016, 01:35 PM
Well where is our network?

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT7gEUYUYMTEptJPS7p_BjyQ3MHhyAyR vc4GfNchtB--jLtCASV

AlSwearengen
04-21-2016, 01:38 PM
I thought this was a good year instate. When everyone was melting down over last years class, I thought I kept seeing everyone talking about this year being a good year in MS and that MSU had ties to most of them.

MSUDawg99
04-21-2016, 01:46 PM

As do I.

Red Sox Dawg
04-21-2016, 01:59 PM
Why does Akers seem to not want to have anything to do with MSU? I have never seen anything that indicates he even likes us a little bit. What gives?

ShotgunDawg
04-21-2016, 02:09 PM
By being the best, naturally or getting the best out of the program. Good athletes are not always winners. It's about how much you want it and understand the game. Defense, in basketball, perfect example, How much do you want it? Those teams will beat a group of irregular. Passion is powerful. So the best value is the most knowledge in terms of assets later.

Name me a winner/difference maker at a high level of sports that isn't an elite athlete?

ShotgunDawg
04-21-2016, 02:11 PM
Why does Akers seem to not want to have anything to do with MSU? I have never seen anything that indicates he even likes us a little bit. What gives?

I actually think we are more in the Akers deal that some realize. I think we are lying in the weeds as a contender. Remember, he's from Clinton. Don't forget that. When is the last time that a player has come from Clinton that MSU wasn't a factor with?

Red Sox Dawg
04-21-2016, 02:15 PM
I actually think we are more in the Akers deal that some realize. I think we are lying in the weeds as a contender. Remember, he's from Clinton. Don't forget that. When is the last time that a player has come from Clinton that MSU wasn't a factor with?

That's why it surprises me. Is there anything else that is a factor? If Akers and Hill both came our RB situation would be in good shape. Anything else going on here? They would both get playing time.

Dawg61
04-21-2016, 02:24 PM
Name me a winner/difference maker at a high level of sports that isn't an elite athlete?

Tom Brady. Some of the worst combine stats in the history of the combine. 4 rings. HOF and greatest QB ever.

I_Spy
04-21-2016, 02:44 PM
I don't know which recruits Dan wants but I just read an article on Cam saying he just wants to compete, so he's the right guy in my book. People overlook MSU because we are not a**-kissers, we as a fanbase have an aversion to that. Simply, we don't know how. If we say we love you, we mean it tho. The other top recruits, when their words are 'well, they hit me up on Twitter' - I know prima Donna

ShotgunDawg
04-21-2016, 02:48 PM
Tom Brady. Some of the worst combine stats in the history of the combine. 4 rings. HOF and greatest QB ever.

You had to pick a QB.....

IMO Tom Brady going in the 7th round is one of the bigger WTFs in the history of scouting & most likely had a lot to do with the fact that he was splitting time with Drew Henson at Michigan.

When you watch Brady's highlights at Michigan & then compare his passing ability to any QB in MSU history, it's clear he was an elite player.

Check out how good this guy is in college.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdgpPZJSC_Q

MSUDawg99
04-21-2016, 02:48 PM

Why do you think he doesn't? Honest question. I haven't heard anything so that's why I'm asking why you think he dislikes us. No clue.

Dawg61
04-21-2016, 03:00 PM
There's plenty of elite athletes that aren't attention seeking whores. Leave the whores for the Old Misses of the world to waste their time on.

HancockCountyDog
04-21-2016, 03:15 PM
I thought this was a good year instate. When everyone was melting down over last years class, I thought I kept seeing everyone talking about this year being a good year in MS and that MSU had ties to most of them.

It reminds me of what people say when you get a new strength and conditioning coach or a new DC. The new strength and conditioning coach is always better than the last one, and the new DC is always going to run a more aggressive defense than the last DC. These are guaranteed.

Same goes for when you are struggling in a recruiting year, next year is always better than the year you are struggling. It helps smooth things over.

Im not sure we will see a year like last year in a long time. I can't remember a year with so many elite players in the GTA and with connections to MSU. Thank God for Simmons and Kobe.

My guess is that by end of the season there will be 5-6 kids with Bama offers from MS - Bowie, Akers, Hill, Gay, Avery and maybe one more. Last year - Lashley, Simmons, Benito, AJ, Kobe, Knott, Metcalf, Raekwon all could have signed with Bama on signing day. Thats a ton.

Bigger issue for me is where is the talent. Position wise, I think Odom is the only SEC talent on the DL this year, by that I mean a difference maker. then again, its always early.

Lumpy Chucklelips
04-21-2016, 03:24 PM

Saw where his brother decided to stay at Memphis. Great news for us.

Red Sox Dawg
04-21-2016, 03:46 PM
Why do you think he doesn't? Honest question. I haven't heard anything so that's why I'm asking why you think he dislikes us. No clue.

I don't know why, that's why I'm asking. I don't follow all the recruiting sites, just 247, and no one has ever said that we have a good chance with him. Paul has just said that we are recruiting him hard. But he commits to Bama, de-commits, and then i read that it was just a matter of time before he commits to umiss. No one ever says he is interested in State. I guess I just assume he doesn't have much interest in us because I never read or hear that he likes State. Has he ever said he likes State and is interested in us? I've never even read where he has commented on us. I'm just trying to find out why no one gives us much of a chance with him.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-21-2016, 04:11 PM
Saw where his brother decided to stay at Memphis. Great news for us.

Cousin but yes he's staying. That was the card OM was playing.

ScoobaDawg
04-21-2016, 05:18 PM

Welp. He ain't coming to State guys... Thanks Matt for the good info.

Todd4State
04-21-2016, 06:35 PM
That's why it surprises me. Is there anything else that is a factor? If Akers and Hill both came our RB situation would be in good shape. Anything else going on here? They would both get playing time.

If I were Dan, I would sell it as:

Cam = Our Percy Harvin

Kylin = Our Feature RB

Todd4State
04-21-2016, 06:39 PM
There's plenty of elite athletes that aren't attention seeking whores. Leave the whores for the Old Misses of the world to waste their time on.

I hate to say it but those whores beat our ass two years in a row and ended up in the Sugar Bowl last year.

Personally, I think in football you need a good mix of guys with some swagger like Smoot, Moulds, and Josh Robinson and guys that are hard workers like Dak, Banks, and Gabe Jackson. They'll balance each other out and you'll have the best of both worlds.

Todd4State
04-21-2016, 06:44 PM
It reminds me of what people say when you get a new strength and conditioning coach or a new DC. The new strength and conditioning coach is always better than the last one, and the new DC is always going to run a more aggressive defense than the last DC. These are guaranteed.

Same goes for when you are struggling in a recruiting year, next year is always better than the year you are struggling. It helps smooth things over.

Im not sure we will see a year like last year in a long time. I can't remember a year with so many elite players in the GTA and with connections to MSU. Thank God for Simmons and Kobe.

My guess is that by end of the season there will be 5-6 kids with Bama offers from MS - Bowie, Akers, Hill, Gay, Avery and maybe one more. Last year - Lashley, Simmons, Benito, AJ, Kobe, Knott, Metcalf, Raekwon all could have signed with Bama on signing day. Thats a ton.

Bigger issue for me is where is the talent. Position wise, I think Odom is the only SEC talent on the DL this year, by that I mean a difference maker. then again, its always early.

Lavonte Epson is being looked at by Alabama as well. LSU is looking at Sahhdiq Charles. I think Paul Gainer, Emmanuel Dabney, Kymbotric Mason, Jordan Murphy, and Ronald Ladd are guys that legit SEC players as well.

HancockCountyDog
04-21-2016, 07:27 PM
Lavonte Epson is being looked at by Alabama as well. LSU is looking at Sahhdiq Charles. I think Paul Gainer, Emmanuel Dabney, Kymbotric Mason, Jordan Murphy, and Ronald Ladd are guys that legit SEC players as well.

I think this summer will say a lot about who has offers and who doesn't.

Dawg61
04-21-2016, 07:48 PM
I hate to say it but those whores beat our ass two years in a row and ended up in the Sugar Bowl last year.

Personally, I think in football you need a good mix of guys with some swagger like Smoot, Moulds, and Josh Robinson and guys that are hard workers like Dak, Banks, and Gabe Jackson. They'll balance each other out and you'll have the best of both worlds.

You talking about those players that are about to get Old Misses butt raped by the NCAA?

Todd4State
04-22-2016, 12:53 AM
You talking about those players that are about to get Old Misses butt raped by the NCAA?

Yes. And that's why we shouldn't go all in and piss off the big boys by stealing their recruits by blatantly cheating. I've always been on wait and see mode as far as what will happen to Ole Miss and how we should proceed further the past two years because I did suspect that Ole Miss would be put on probation- and that appears to be correct. I also knew that there was a chance the NCAA might let them skate- and if that was the case I would be all for cheating like that ourselves.

But there are also players in Mississippi that have a lot of swagger that don't have to be bought. I listed three of them that played for us and could have gone even further. We need to get more of those IMO because last year our guys looked pretty disinterested for at least half of the games. The result was coming out flat multiple times last year- including the Egg Bowl somehow which is a feat given the importance that game in particular had.

HSVDawg
04-22-2016, 02:45 PM

Is there even such thing as a recruitment that is normal?

TimberBeast
04-22-2016, 03:00 PM
If you watched what Mullen did with our RB situation last year with Holloway, would you want any part of that as a great / elite RB prospect?

Ifyouonlyknew
04-22-2016, 03:37 PM
If you watched what Mullen did with our RB situation last year with Holloway, would you want any part of that as a great / elite RB prospect?

Kylin Hill says yes

HancockCountyDog
04-22-2016, 04:08 PM
Kylin Hill says yes

I swear some on this board just say sh!t without any justification and just to bash Mullen.

TimberBeast
04-22-2016, 04:15 PM
I swear some on this board just say sh!t without any justification and just to bash Mullen.

You must have been watching a different running game than me last year. I'm glad Hill is on board, and thank goodness he's from Columbus, but I couldn't blame any RB for watching last season and not wanting to come in to that mess. I hope Mullen gets it back together with the running game but I'm not holding my breath.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-22-2016, 04:17 PM
You must have been watching a different running game than me last year. I'm glad Hill is on board, and thank goodness he's from Columbus, but I couldn't blame any RB for watching last season and not wanting to come in to that mess. I hope Mullen gets it back together with the running game but I'm not holding my breath.

Yes last year looked bad but Mullen could also say I've coached Dixon, Ballard, Perkins, & Robinson all to 1,000yd seasons. His track record of having productive RB's is way more positive than negative.

djaymsu5
04-22-2016, 04:57 PM
If I were Dan, I would sell it as:

Cam = Our Percy Harvin

Kylin = Our Feature RB

They would be a helluva 1-2 punch at RB in the future with Keytaon giving them the rock. More like a Demps and Rainey in my opinion

War Machine Dawg
04-22-2016, 06:13 PM

Except that 2 of the last 3 years he's completely mismanaged the RB situation. It's a valid criticism.

Dawg61
04-22-2016, 06:41 PM
They would be a helluva 1-2 punch at RB in the future with Keytaon giving them the rock. More like a Demps and Rainey in my opinion

Gonna be a minute for Keytaon. Tiano got eyes on the starting job.

djaymsu5
04-22-2016, 06:48 PM

Or Tiano, hell I think he is going to be a damn good one

Ifyouonlyknew
04-22-2016, 08:02 PM

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Keytaon has a chance to be the best QB Mullen has had.

preachermatt83
04-22-2016, 10:54 PM

This!!! C L I N T O N!