PDA

View Full Version : Real Spring games

GTHOM
04-19-2016, 06:37 PM
Just my opinion but I think instead of teams playing FCS schools in the season why shouldnt we just all play a team like that during the spring?? It'd be more valuable than just another practice like most spring games are and it would be good for the smaller schools too. Plus we wouldnt have 2 or 3 weeks of the season where the schedule is complete garbage like the week Gameday went to Florida A&M a while back. no disrespect to the Rattlers but damn. High schools play spring games why not college? Hell if big schools wanna play each other I'd be all for that too. Would y'all be for or against it

SailingDawg
04-19-2016, 07:05 PM
I agree, but I'm sure the NCAA has some problem with it. Besides, Michigan will use it as an excuse to play in Birmingham or somewhere in Florida.

DawgPoundtheRock
04-19-2016, 07:50 PM
Actually, this was proposed by Phil Fulmer while he was HC at TN. You pay a FCS school $250,00 to come in and play in the spring. This does 2 things. It basically pays for their athletic program, and it allows you to add a P5 school to your schedule. There would have to be stipulations. No hitting the QB from either team. Two hand touch. A real hit cost the offending player a 1/2 game suspension. This ship may have sailed, but I like the concept. May put more people in the stands, and it would be played more like a real game rather than a scimmage.

GTHOM
04-20-2016, 09:12 AM
Actually, this was proposed by Phil Fulmer while he was HC at TN. You pay a FCS school $250,00 to come in and play in the spring. This does 2 things. It basically pays for their athletic program, and it allows you to add a P5 school to your schedule. There would have to be stipulations. No hitting the QB from either team. Two hand touch. A real hit cost the offending player a 1/2 game suspension. This ship may have sailed, but I like the concept. May put more people in the stands, and it would be played more like a real game rather than a scimmage.

No way would I go to watch a two hand touch football game where if you make a real hit you can be suspended half a game thats just ridiculous. I understand if they would play it with no kickoffs or something but not that

Tbonewannabe
04-20-2016, 09:17 AM
Saban came out against it because he would lose basically another practice working with his players. He also said the lower team would be going all out to try and knock off a big program. I can see pros and cons both ways. The spring game playing another team you couldn't play 4 QBs like we did and you basically would cut your reps in half. This wouldn't really benefit your team as much as paying for a FCS team's budget and give the fans another game in the Spring.

Johnson85
04-20-2016, 10:47 AM
Playing an FCS team just seems to add a lot of expense for not much benefit. Bringing in an FCS team would hopefully mean lesser competition. You cut down on the reps you can give to your own guys. By adding the competitive element, you maybe make it harder for coaches to focus on improving where they want, as losing even a spring game to an FCS team would have a substantial number of fans pissed. The only benefit to it I see is you get to work your offense and defense against players that don't know what the otherside is going to do. That's probably worth something, but overall it doesn't seem to be worth it.

Jack Lambert
04-20-2016, 10:56 AM
Playing an FCS team just seems to add a lot of expense for not much benefit. Bringing in an FCS team would hopefully mean lesser competition. You cut down on the reps you can give to your own guys. By adding the competitive element, you maybe make it harder for coaches to focus on improving where they want, as losing even a spring game to an FCS team would have a substantial number of fans pissed. The only benefit to it I see is you get to work your offense and defense against players that don't know what the otherside is going to do. That's probably worth something, but overall it doesn't seem to be worth it.

I agree with him because it will not be viewed as a practice game to the smaller schools and fans and they would have to spend too much time preparing for game week when they really would be working on fundamentals.

However it would be fun to watch.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-20-2016, 11:10 AM
No way I would expose my starters to go against another team who's trying to make a name for themselves. It would have to be 2 hand touch because the 1st time my guy gets hit in the knees the scrimmage is over.

HancockCountyDog
04-20-2016, 11:22 AM
No way I would expose my starters to go against another team who's trying to make a name for themselves. It would have to be 2 hand touch because the 1st time my guy gets hit in the knees the scrimmage is over.

Our guys were firing live bullets on defense. Im just not a fan of them at all. All risk/no reward.

mic
04-20-2016, 11:25 AM

Agree.
And our scrimmage this year was as close to a real game as you could ask for with the live QB's...

Dawgology
04-20-2016, 11:48 AM
You could still play every QB and all your back-ups. It would be a Spring Game that didn't count in the W-L column. Basically a time to get your backups some live action where it doesn't impact the entire team. It's a good idea. And no two-hand touch rule. Real football game.

mic
04-20-2016, 11:53 AM
You could still play every QB and all your back-ups. It would be a Spring Game that didn't count in the W-L column. Basically a time to get your backups some live action where it doesn't impact the entire team. It's a good idea. And no two-hand touch rule. Real football game.

Not really.. Bad idea..... and the first time someone blows a ACL or late hit that cause a concussion or an illegal dirty chop block that ends a DL season , Ect...

Liverpooldawg
04-20-2016, 12:09 PM
Spring football is way more likely to be eliminated. My guess is within 10 years it will be.

Political Hack
04-20-2016, 12:18 PM
Injuries and taking too many reps away from your 2's, 3's, and 4's will stop it from happening. Be great from a fan perspective but I can't see them ever doing it.

mic
04-20-2016, 01:05 PM
Injuries and taking too many reps away from your 2's, 3's, and 4's will stop it from happening. Be great from a fan perspective but I can't see them ever doing it.

Better idea would have a "organized " scrimmage game against a fcs a couple weeks before opening weekend .. Get those 2's 3's And 4's feet wet before the year starts... Kind of like ur jamborees in high school football..

But again, the long season, risk for injury, money issues, travel, Ect Ect...