PDA

View Full Version : Zac Houston starting against ULM

Todd4State
04-19-2016, 02:03 PM
And Austin Sexton looks "better" but is still questionable for LSU.

I like the idea of pitching Houston. Assuming he does well tomorrow, I would give him the ball against Ole Miss in Jackson. If he does well in the Governor's Cup, I'd make him our Sunday guy.

I stand by my prediction that against LSU we will start Hudson, Pilkington, and then Keegan James though. We'll see if I am right- I sure hope Sexton pitches though.

We'll see how Cohen plays it with Houston- if Zac looks good early we might pull him with the intention of pitching him against LSU as a starter.

MarketingBully
04-19-2016, 02:13 PM
Good to see him get that start. Will be interested to see how he does.

Jack Lambert
04-19-2016, 02:15 PM
Was it ULM we were playing During Polk's final years that we could not get out in the 9th inning? They scored like 16 runs or something really big?

Taog Redloh
04-19-2016, 02:21 PM
Louisiana Tech. That was during our run from #1 to LT begging to let us in the tournament in 2006.

msstate7
04-19-2016, 02:24 PM
Might not be a bad idea to try em vs lsu. Last year, he pitched twice in the series vs them...

5.0 ip 2 h 0 er 1 bb 5 k
2.1 ip 3 h 0 er 1 bb 3 k

Totals...

7.1 ip 5 h 0 er 2 bb 8 k

Not bad... Not bad at all

maroonmania
04-19-2016, 02:34 PM
And Austin Sexton looks "better" but is still questionable for LSU.

I like the idea of pitching Houston. Assuming he does well tomorrow, I would give him the ball against Ole Miss in Jackson. If he does well in the Governor's Cup, I'd make him our Sunday guy.

I stand by my prediction that against LSU we will start Hudson, Pilkington, and then Keegan James though. We'll see if I am right- I sure hope Sexton pitches though.

We'll see how Cohen plays it with Houston- if Zac looks good early we might pull him with the intention of pitching him against LSU as a starter.

I would assume that even if Sexton can pitch, they will move him to Sunday to give the hammy as much time as possible to improve.

Todd4State
04-19-2016, 03:21 PM
I would assume that even if Sexton can pitch, they will move him to Sunday to give the hammy as much time as possible to improve.

I agree. Plus Pilkington only threw one inning+ on Sunday so moving him up a day shouldn't be a big deal.

What's interesting though is after this week we have the Governor's Cup on Tuesday and then play Thurs, Fri, and Sat against Alabama. That makes me think that there may be a possibility that we see Sexton pitch in the Governor's Cup if he can't pitch against LSU and then maybe come back with Hudson, Pilkington, and Houston against Alabama. After the Alabama series, we don't have a midweek game so we should be able to "re-set" the rotation at that point- and with maybe Houston and Pilkington fighting for the Sunday spot.

It just all depends on Sexton's hamstring.

Todd4State
04-19-2016, 03:23 PM
Might not be a bad idea to try em vs lsu. Last year, he pitched twice in the series vs them...

5.0 ip 2 h 0 er 1 bb 5 k
2.1 ip 3 h 0 er 1 bb 3 k

Totals...

7.1 ip 5 h 0 er 2 bb 8 k

Not bad... Not bad at all

Very interesting. And I guarantee you Cohen saw that too. If Houston pitches like that against them, it would give us a HUGE boost this weekend.

Todd4State
04-19-2016, 10:44 PM

Per twitter, someone in the MSU media (Ben Wait I think) said that Sexton was adamant that he will pitch Saturday.

If that happens we better have someone ready quickly in case he looks off.

Taog Redloh
04-20-2016, 08:48 AM
Per twitter, someone in the MSU media (Ben Wait I think) said that Sexton was adamant that he will pitch Saturday.

If that happens we better have someone ready quickly in case he looks off.
I'd rather him hold off rather than be Superman now and have that hamstring nagging in the postseason. I might base it on what Hudson does....if we win Friday, roll the dice and keep Sexton out.

msstate7
04-20-2016, 08:55 AM
I'd rather him hold off rather than be Superman now and have that hamstring nagging in the postseason. I might base it on what Hudson does....if we win Friday, roll the dice and keep Sexton out.

If sexton starts, expect a lot of early bunts to test that hamstring

Taog Redloh
04-20-2016, 10:05 AM
If sexton starts, expect a lot of early bunts to test that hamstring

And when they do, he should throw at their head, like Graveman did. But yeah, Maneiri will do that for sure.

Maroons
04-20-2016, 10:13 AM
And when they do, he should throw at their head, like Graveman did. But yeah, Maneiri will do that for sure.

So would any other coach or player with a competitive edge.