PDA

View Full Version : Malik Newman

Dawg61
04-19-2016, 01:41 PM
He really not coming back? Is this guy stupid or something? Someone explain it to me please. Is he spoiled and doesn't accept hard facts of life? Is his daddy sheltering him from reality? Wtf is going on here. Why is an obvious upcoming undrafted player choosing to go undrafted? Been hanging with Bear Wilson.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2016mock_draft

MarketingBully
04-19-2016, 01:44 PM
Where are you getting he is defiinitly not coming back? He hasn't even gone to the NBA workouts yet. I don't think we will know anything definitively until after that one way or another.

smootness
04-19-2016, 01:49 PM
He really not coming back? Is this guy stupid or something? Someone explain it to me please. Is he spoiled and doesn't accept hard facts of life? Is his daddy sheltering him from reality? Wtf is going on here. Why is an obvious upcoming undrafted player choosing to go undrafted? Been hanging with Bear Wilson.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2016mock_draft

Please explain the purpose of this thread to me. There is nothing new on Newman, he will go through the process and make a decision.

And if you click on the 2017 mock draft on that little link you shared, you'll see they project him to be drafted next year. Meaning even the link you provided for this post believes he'll return to school.

JOHNHEVESYMADE
04-19-2016, 01:53 PM
I don't think he is coming back. Whether its the right decision or not is up for debate but I think he won't be coming back.

MarketingBully
04-19-2016, 01:54 PM
Please explain the purpose of this thread to me. There is nothing new on Newman, he will go through the process and make a decision.

And if you click on the 2017 mock draft on that little link you shared, you'll see they project him to be drafted next year. Meaning even the link you provided for this post believes he'll return to school.

Personally, I think he comes back unless a team promises to draft him in the first round which is very possible considering he is fully healthy.

Dawg61
04-19-2016, 01:55 PM
Please explain the purpose of this thread to me.

To spark discussion on a player before he ****s his NBA career up. Not just let him do it like Bear Wilson.

MSUDawg99
04-19-2016, 01:56 PM
I don't think he is coming back. Whether its the right decision or not is up for debate but I think he won't be coming back.

I'm of this same opinion as well.

MarketingBully
04-19-2016, 01:56 PM

Your opinion of course but if that were the case the prudent thing would be to hire an agent and Malik and Horstio are pretty knowledgeable about the process. I honestly believe Newman will be back if he doesn't like where his position is now.

ScoobaDawg
04-19-2016, 01:58 PM
I can promise this thread will have no effect in Newmans thought process... So all you are doing is ripping a CURRENT PLAYER.

Noone needs to explain anything to you.. No decisions have been made. Let him go through the workouts and make a decision as HE SHOULD DO.

Coach34
04-19-2016, 01:59 PM
Heard the same- he isn't coming back.

They have their minds made up that he is going to shine at the workouts. And then when he doesn't- he will just go to the D-League and try to make it from there. After years of being told he was "one and done"- they can't accept that not being the case

MSUDawg99
04-19-2016, 02:03 PM

They have their minds made up that he is going to shine at the workouts. And then when he doesn't- he will just go to the D-League and try to make it from there. After years of being told he was "one and done"- they can't accept that not being the case

Agreed. And in the long run it's good for our program as well. If he couldn't make it one & done it reflects badly on Howland's coaching. His dad wants him to be one & done. He wants to be one & done. I know he said he'll come back if he doesn't fall within first round but I don't think he's coming back. He likely will shine at the workouts.

Dawg61
04-19-2016, 02:05 PM
I can promise this thread will have no effect in Newmans thought process... So all you are doing is ripping a CURRENT PLAYER.

Noone needs to explain anything to you.. No decisions have been made. Let him go through the workouts and make a decision as HE SHOULD DO.

The team and other players that could sign with MSU are being held hostage by his process right now. You don't care about their feelings?

msstate7
04-19-2016, 02:07 PM

Then I'm concerned... You're usually plugged in on basketball

MarketingBully
04-19-2016, 02:09 PM
Agreed. And in the long run it's good for our program as well. If he couldn't make it one & done it reflects badly on Howland's coaching. His dad wants him to be one & done. He wants to be one & done. I know he said he'll come back if he doesn't fall within first round but I don't think he's coming back. He likely will shine at the workouts.

The only way it looks bad is if he goes undrafted this year. Coming back for year two doesn't look bad. Players that thought they were one and done at Kentucky came back for year two then go on to get drafted. I do think though that he will get the promise from some NBA team to be drafted in the first round because he is finally healthy so the point is moot.

fishwater99
04-19-2016, 02:20 PM

What makes you thing this? He only had one really good game for us this year. He didn't shine in the HS All-Star games last year either..

maroonmania
04-19-2016, 02:32 PM

If true, that is freaking ridiculous. Seriously, how many players voluntarily go to the D-League when they are fully eligible to play D1 basketball? Can't be many. Now even if he wants to go as a second rounder, that I would disagree with but would understand. Going to the D-League I would not.

engie
04-19-2016, 02:33 PM
You've been trying to kick him off the team for months now, so I don't know why anyone would be surprised by this thread

Dawg61
04-19-2016, 02:35 PM
You've been trying to kick him off the team for months now, so I don't know why anyone would be surprised by this thread

Actually it's the exact opposite. Thanks for trying to read my mind again but as usual you're wrong.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-19-2016, 02:36 PM
I have my own feelings on whether he should go or not. I'll keep them to myself. What I will say is that he will get drafted. It may not be 1st rd but he will get drafted. After that it's up to him to make the most of his situation.

Harrydawg
04-19-2016, 02:43 PM
He gone, Newman will not be returning to MSU. Just was not good fit.

If he gets drafted, he'll go pro. If not, he'll transfer. We'll know soon enough

maroonmania
04-19-2016, 02:44 PM
What I will say is that he will get drafted.

Based on what? I have a feeling he will likely get drafted but its iffy at best.

maroonmania
04-19-2016, 02:45 PM

If he gets drafted, he'll go pro. If not, he'll transfer. We'll know soon enough

He can transfer to 50 different schools and it still won't make him a point guard.

trob115
04-19-2016, 02:46 PM
He informed the coaches that if he's not a guaranteed first round pick, he's returning to school. Who knows whether or not that'll end up holding true.

Irondawg
04-19-2016, 02:55 PM
Let's just say I'm incredibly curious to see how he does in the pre-draft workout camps

Dawg61
04-19-2016, 02:56 PM
He can transfer to 50 different schools and it still won't make him a point guard.

Haha so true

MarketingBully
04-19-2016, 02:58 PM

He isn't transferring. That would be dumb as hell.

msstate7
04-19-2016, 03:00 PM
Hood did it. Good was just as good of an nba prospect too... Maybe better

Tbonewannabe
04-19-2016, 03:12 PM

Hood also transfered out of a dumpster fire where teammates were fighting in the stands. Malik isn't transferring to a different school to sit out one year and play another. He is trying to go pro after one year, he isn't waiting two more.

Johnson85
04-19-2016, 03:16 PM

Hood was getting away from a bad locker room and a walking dead coach. Giving up a year of playing time to go to Duke wasn't a terrible idea for him, as it solidified the chances that he would get drafted. And then his decision was made even easier by Stansbury being replaced with Rick Ray.

Neumann is playing for a well respected coach and will be on a team that has the potential to make noise next year. The only downside to staying at state for Newman is that the back court will be crowded next year, but if that's a problem for him (as opposed to the freshmen), then the NBA is probably a long shot for him.

MafiaDawg
04-19-2016, 03:17 PM
The competition at draft camps will be better than the SEC. So I'm not sure how he will shine there as some predict.

Dawg61
04-19-2016, 03:17 PM

Not as dumb as leaving SEC ball to get paid $30,000 riding the bench in D-League ball. Don't be confused for a second either. Newman will ride the bench in the D-League.

preachermatt83
04-19-2016, 03:50 PM
Hahaha!! This thread is hilarious. Not a single person on here has one clue if he's coming back or not. Anyone insinuating that he will transfer is talking out of there butt.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
04-19-2016, 03:54 PM
If the option to test the waters was not there, Malik would be back no question. BUT since it is so what does he have to lose? He does have much to gain though just from going through the NBA combine. I think he and his father are more intelligent than most think.

Coach34
04-19-2016, 03:56 PM
If the option to test the waters was not there, Malik would be back no question. BUT since it is so what does he have to lose? He does have much to gain though just from going through the NBA combine. I think he and his father are more intelligent than most think.

I know people that talk to Horatio- their mindset is that he is not returning

Schultzy
04-19-2016, 03:57 PM
Not as dumb as leaving SEC ball to get paid $30,000 riding the bench in D-League ball. Don't be confused for a second either. Newman will ride the bench in the D-League.

Some are arguing he'd be in the 300,00 dollar range in the D-league but I have no knowledge of those type contracts.

I_Spy
04-19-2016, 03:57 PM
Malik Newman has elevated the program with his name alone because he is a respected player. To me that's the most important thing in judging our athletes, that he chose to come here and he had some injuries and people got down on him. I expect he will either get drafted or return to accomplish what he wanted to do his first year. I think the dynamics of senior/freshman type team, who will lead? Was odd anyway and Malik never found his role on the team, add injury, add no love. I respect him and hopes he comes back.

Political Hack
04-19-2016, 04:09 PM
Malik Newman has elevated the program with his name alone because he is a respected player. To me that's the most important thing in judging our athletes, that he chose to come here and he had some injuries and people got down on him. I expect he will either get drafted or return to accomplish what he wanted to do his first year. I think the dynamics of senior/freshman type team, who will lead? Was odd anyway and Malik never found his role on the team, add injury, add no love. I respect him and hopes he comes back.

Common sense wins the thread.

mstatefan91
04-19-2016, 04:13 PM

Post more please

CadaverDawg
04-19-2016, 04:16 PM

Winner

JOHNHEVESYMADE
04-19-2016, 04:20 PM
The issue is that this draft class is extremely weak compared to next years which should be a stud class. He might come back and get a lot better but it still might not help his draft stock at all. The best I've heard percentage wise is 50/50 coming back. I am not optimistic and think he won't be back. All signs point to him going pro.

Johnson85
04-19-2016, 05:27 PM
Some are arguing he'd be in the 300,00 dollar range in the D-league but I have no knowledge of those type contracts.

My understanding is that the true D-league contracts are for peanuts, but teams have the option of stashing young players that they sign in the D-league, more like how MLB does it. I think the players that the teams stash there are still paid according to their NBA contract.

tireddawg
04-19-2016, 05:27 PM
Whatever Malik does, he is still & will always be a Dawg & I won't consider him stupid no matter his decision.
Whether he stays or goes I'll root for him & hope for the best & wish him luck.
What he's done for our program, you can't put a price on it.

Johnson85
04-19-2016, 05:36 PM
Common sense wins the thread.

No shit. Crazy to see people bash a MSU player that picked MSU literally over every other NCAA basketball team, performed well for a truer freshman despite injuries (even if he didn't perform up to expectations), seemed to be a good teammate despite all the hype and attention he got and despite some older players maybe having their egos bruised over it.

And not only bash him, but bash him for doing what any non-moron in his place would do. He has the opportunity to work on his game in front of scouts, get feedback, and maybe play his way into a million dollar contract, and none of it impacts his NCAA eligibility. What kind of idiot wouldn't take advantage of that.

And for all the people saying he's already made his mind to go pro, neither he nor his father is ignorant of the process and know a good agent could help him, so he would have an agent if he were dead set against coming back. He may be heavily leaning towards going pro, but I can't believe he wouldn't have an agent if coming back weren't an option.

CadaverDawg
04-19-2016, 05:39 PM
Whatever Malik does, he is still & will always be a Dawg & I won't consider him stupid no matter his decision.
Whether he stays or goes I'll root for him & hope for the best & wish him luck.
What he's done for our program, you can't put a price on it.

Strong post. My thoughts exactly. This is really all that matters

I_Spy
04-19-2016, 05:40 PM
Next years team has the ability to be very exciting and look good doing it if they play smart. Excitement, fan fare, interest is pivotal in draft stock whether it be weak or stud. They just gotta do what they do. However, a great offer should never be turned down.

I_Spy
04-19-2016, 05:41 PM
Erase turnovers, use athleticism, run the floor, put the ball in the others team face every so often and roll on

I_Spy
04-19-2016, 05:47 PM
Some buzz

msbulldog
04-19-2016, 06:25 PM
Hahaha!! This thread is hilarious. Not a single person on here has one clue if he's coming back or not. Anyone insinuating that he will transfer is talking out of there butt.

Agree!

mic
04-19-2016, 06:36 PM
He isn't going to transfer.. No way he loses a year of eligibility .. And no one can blame the kid if he wants to go pro.. He wouldn't have come to college in the first place if the stupid one and done rule wasnt in play..
Shit first round picks sometimes go to the Dleague...

GTHOM
04-19-2016, 06:46 PM
If he's smart and cares about his career not his ego he'll be in stark next season. If I were and NBA GM I wouldnt draft him why would you??? Bear has a better chance of being drafted than him. Dont get me wrong I like him Im not trying to bash the kid but cmon man

Dawg61
04-19-2016, 07:04 PM
It's Malik's talent to do whatever he pleases I just wish the process wasn't holding everyone else hostage till he's decided. It's selfish imo.

mic
04-19-2016, 07:17 PM
It's Malik's talent to do whatever he pleases I just wish the process wasn't holding everyone else hostage till he's decided. It's selfish imo.

I'm sure CBH has a pretty good idea what he is going to do...

K9 Avenger
04-19-2016, 07:17 PM

Harrydawg has as good a source as you can have ....the one talking out of their ass is you...but, then again, that's par for the Elitedawgs course...Hahaha!!

I_Spy
04-19-2016, 07:20 PM
To me, we've clearly been a 'we will watch the paint dry' type team. That changes next year, possibly just due to chemistry.

In a regular mood, you may 'offer' to buy your friend a drink, but while highly excited, you tend to offer, you, and you, and you...well just get one for everybody on me type thing

bobcat91
04-19-2016, 07:34 PM
I think he should stay but understand if he doesn't. The NBA is where he set his heart on and if he comes back another year, they are going to pick his game apart. He is a shooter. Period. He is not a PG, doesn't handle the ball all that well, and has limited court vision. Another year at MSU would seal his fate of playing overseas. I'm good with whatever he does, but I would be more concerned with losing Q to the NBA.

Johnson85
04-19-2016, 08:36 PM
If I were and NBA GM I wouldnt draft him why would you???

Because he has an elite skill. He may ore may not end up being a good all around player in the NBA, but his shooting is good enough that it seems likely that he can carve out a niche as a shooter.

smootness
04-20-2016, 12:59 AM

Good grief, man.

Dawg61
04-20-2016, 01:30 AM
Good grief, man.

Joe Strugg wouldn't like to know if he's playing here next year? All the transfers wouldn't like to know if they can sign with us? Or does everyone else prefer to put their basketball careers on hold till MN makes up his mind?

Johnson85
04-20-2016, 07:26 AM
Joe Strugg wouldn't like to know if he's playing here next year? All the transfers wouldn't like to know if they can sign with us? Or does everyone else prefer to put their basketball careers on hold till MN makes up his mind?

Malik Neuman didn't design the draft process, and it's not his responsibility to limit his options to make it easier on other people.

Having to worry about underclassmen good enough to justify testing the waters is a 'problem' that I hope we have more of in the future.

MarketingBully
04-20-2016, 07:39 AM
Literally the only option that would be stupid for him would be to transfer to another school sit out another year and then play in the next year that would put him in some college limbo for three years. To me, that is the only stupid option he could take. Also msstate7, Rodney Hood never had his eyes set on being a one and done so that case does not apply to this case.

shannondawg
04-20-2016, 07:58 AM
Rodney wouldn't have left if he Ben Howland as coach.

Jarius
04-20-2016, 08:03 AM

It's not Malik's problem that the draft process is what it is. He has potentially millions on the line and you want him to hurry up and make a decision so some other kid can make up their mind about where to play college basketball. You sound like the selfish one.

HSVDawg
04-20-2016, 08:09 AM

Yeah, there is no way in hell he transfers. That takes him from being a one and done to a three and done (at best). He would have to sit out next year.

Dawg61
04-20-2016, 09:14 AM
It's not Malik's problem that the draft process is what it is. He has potentially millions on the line and you want him to hurry up and make a decision so some other kid can make up their mind about where to play college basketball. You sound like the selfish one.

D-League pays millions now? Shit I'd put five other guys plans on hold to play in Iowa City too. My bad Newman.

GTHOM
04-20-2016, 09:17 AM
Because he has an elite skill. He may ore may not end up being a good all around player in the NBA, but his shooting is good enough that it seems likely that he can carve out a niche as a shooter.

He could hardly play 2 games in a row at the end of the year without cramping or being hurt, I wish he would come back because I dont wanna see him in the D league

Tbonewannabe
04-20-2016, 09:22 AM
No shit. Crazy to see people bash a MSU player that picked MSU literally over every other NCAA basketball team, performed well for a truer freshman despite injuries (even if he didn't perform up to expectations), seemed to be a good teammate despite all the hype and attention he got and despite some older players maybe having their egos bruised over it.

And not only bash him, but bash him for doing what any non-moron in his place would do. He has the opportunity to work on his game in front of scouts, get feedback, and maybe play his way into a million dollar contract, and none of it impacts his NCAA eligibility. What kind of idiot wouldn't take advantage of that.

And for all the people saying he's already made his mind to go pro, neither he nor his father is ignorant of the process and know a good agent could help him, so he would have an agent if he were dead set against coming back. He may be heavily leaning towards going pro, but I can't believe he wouldn't have an agent if coming back weren't an option.

There is no downside to what he is doing. As far as people saying he has made up his mind, maybe he has or maybe he is getting his mind set like he is going. Very successful people have the ability to set your mind on a goal and somehow make it happen. If he is healthy with the way he can shoot, he might get drafted in the first round. As much as I love MSU, I hope he does great and stays in the league for a long time.

Jarius
04-20-2016, 09:57 AM
D-League pays millions now? Shit I'd put five other guys plans on hold to play in Iowa City too. My bad Newman.

I guess you will have to forgive the guy for not just taking your word for where he is going to end up. This is a life changing decision, and he could still make hundreds of thousands of dollars in the D league if an NBA team were to draft him and set that up. It pretty much isn't any of your business.

Dawg61
04-20-2016, 10:22 AM
I guess you will have to forgive the guy for not just taking your word for where he is going to end up. This is a life changing decision, and he could still make hundreds of thousands of dollars in the D league if an NBA team were to draft him and set that up. It pretty much isn't any of your business.

Hope there's still a decent grad transfer available when that time comes. I'd hate for MSU to lose out on another player that'll help us next year because we are waiting on a player that at the end of the day is going pro no matter what.

YazooDawg23
04-20-2016, 10:26 AM
Hope there's still a decent grad transfer available when that time comes. I'd hate for MSU to lose out on another player that'll help us next year because we are waiting on a player that at the end of the day is going pro no matter what.

Do you honestly think that we are not going get a grad transfer we want because of Malik? It sounds like you have something personal against Malik. You come off in your posts as extremely unintelligent. Howland is a pro. Trust him and settle down.

Jarius
04-20-2016, 10:36 AM

If he is going pro no matter what and someone like a casual fan like you knows that, don't you think our head coach who has been to 3 final fours knows that as well? And even if he doesn't, it's still none of your business when Malik Newman decides to make a final decision about whether or not he stays in the draft. It's his life, not yours. Whether or not State gets a grad transfer or not because of how long he takes to decide to enter the NBA is not his problem and anyone that tries to make it his problem is wrong.

mic
04-20-2016, 11:17 AM
Do you honestly think that we are not going get a grad transfer we want because of Malik? It sounds like you have something personal against Malik. You come off in your posts as extremely unintelligent. Howland is a pro. Trust him and settle down.

And the thread ends.....

Dawg61
04-20-2016, 11:57 AM

How do you know we haven't missed on a player already? We already missed on Tookie Brown whose an actual true PG last year. I don't have anything personal towards MN I am just not sure he's worth all of this when you start adding up players last year we didn't take for him and players right now we aren't taking for him.

Dawg61
04-20-2016, 12:05 PM
If he is going pro no matter what and someone like a casual fan like you knows that, don't you think our head coach who has been to 3 final fours knows that as well? And even if he doesn't, it's still none of your business when Malik Newman decides to make a final decision about whether or not he stays in the draft. It's his life, not yours. Whether or not State gets a grad transfer or not because of how long he takes to decide to enter the NBA is not his problem and anyone that tries to make it his problem is wrong.

You're correct my problem isn't with Malik it's with Howland letting Newman's decision dictate our roster next year. He's not coming back.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
04-20-2016, 12:07 PM

close to it...Jarnell Stokes gets almost 900K in D-League.

BulldogBacker
04-20-2016, 12:14 PM

Count me in meggaditto's this!

MedDawg
04-20-2016, 12:30 PM
How do you know we haven't missed on a player already? We already missed on Tookie Brown whose an actual true PG last year. I don't have anything personal towards MN I am just not sure he's worth all of this when you start adding up players last year we didn't take for him and players right now we aren't taking for him.

So we aren't "holding a spot open for him" and MSU won't have missed out on any recruit if Malik leaves State. If Malik decides to stay, then we might be one over the limit and will have to process out an underperforming player/signee, which may or may not be a guard.

YazooDawg23
04-20-2016, 12:34 PM

OH NO WE LOST TOOKIE!! We currently have four 4 star guards committed and it's no secret we are in the market for a PF type in the transfer market. Again, Malik's decision has no impact if we decide to take a grad-transfer PF or not. Your argument holds less water every time you type.

mic
04-20-2016, 12:55 PM
OH NO WE LOST TOOKIE!! We currently have four 4 star guards committed and it's no secret we are in the market for a PF type in the transfer market. Again, Malik's decision has no impact if we decide to take a grad-transfer PF or not. Your argument holds less water every time you type.

Again the thread should end with this......

Dawg61
04-20-2016, 12:56 PM
His decision just decides Joe Strugg's future?

RocketCityDawg
04-20-2016, 01:21 PM
Again the thread should end with this......

I agree, mic, but you're dreaming if you think he will stop without getting the last word.

MCsMGs
04-20-2016, 05:18 PM
We already missed on Tookie Brown whose an actual true PG last year.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e224/mkm33/AwJeez.jpg

Dawg61
04-20-2016, 05:27 PM
Sun Belt freshman of the year.

http://www.wjcl.com/news/sports/tookie-brown-hauls-in-another-post-season-honor/165947161/story

Homedawg
04-20-2016, 05:28 PM
His decision just decides Joe Strugg's future?

4 pages of being a ****tard isn't enough? Just stop. Just ****ing stop!!

Dawg61
04-20-2016, 08:17 PM
4 pages of being a ****tard isn't enough? Just stop. Just ****ing stop!!

I'm sorry I didn't notice we've added a grad transfer already. My bad.