PDA

View Full Version : Athletic Dept Finances from Student Activity Fees

AusTexDawg
04-19-2016, 11:52 AM
C-L ran articles about MSU and TSUN athletic department finances. I found this item from the MSU article interesting: "MSU athletics doesn't take any student fee contributions and doesn't receive tution [sic] waivers." The TSUN article didn't say anything about whether or not their athletic department receives money from student activity fees. I know some non-SEC schools that continually run athletic budget deficits get some serious cash through their activity fees. Of course State has SECN $$ and revenue streams that schools in other conferences don't have; regardless, I'm glad that Stricklin and company can stay in the black without activity fees.

Do any of you know if there are SEC schools that have student activity fees that benefit their athletic departments?

civildawg
04-19-2016, 12:35 PM
They may not take the fees, but students are charged an activity fee. It was about 250 dollars a semester when I was there I believe.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-19-2016, 01:28 PM
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0ahUKEwiVksnHqZvMAhUM4yYKHUywBx0QFggrMAI&url=https%3A%2F%2Fhailstatebeat.wordpress.com%2F20 15%2F06%2F03%2Fmsu-investing-in-students-with-sec-revenue-boost%2F&usg=AFQjCNGxsW0QiXk8y5Pm--fkRJSitWBPFA

Johnson85
04-19-2016, 01:31 PM
They may not take the fees, but students are charged an activity fee. It was about 250 dollars a semester when I was there I believe.

When I was there, the student fees went to things like student government, maybe music makers, maybe intramurals, and things like that, not the athletic department. I'm sure it's the same now.

Tbonewannabe
04-19-2016, 01:31 PM

Those fees cover the cost of the Sanderson Center, intramural sports, and everything else students do that doesn't "cost" them anything. They also get cheap tickets to football and free tickets to baseball and basketball.