PDA

View Full Version : Article on Palmerio....

Liverpooldawg
04-19-2016, 11:45 AM
http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/rafael-palmeiro-steroids-over-a-decade-later-the-baltimore-orioles-legend-moves-on-041816

Taog Redloh
04-19-2016, 12:26 PM
?My life now is my sons, and helping them to be better,? he says. ?But for me, what do I want?? he asks. ?I don?t know.?
You want MSU, Raffy. Please move back to Starkville and be a part of the program. His wife is from Tupelo, for crying out loud.

I guess I am the only one who sees this as an obvious fit.

Saltydog
04-19-2016, 12:40 PM
love and adore him and want him here. He might be tainted to others but he's still one of our own.

Dawg61
04-19-2016, 12:45 PM
You want MSU, Raffy. Please move back to Starkville and be a part of the program. His wife is from Tupelo, for crying out loud.

You're not alone. I want Raffy helping MSU baseball. Will Clark too.

ShotgunDawg
04-19-2016, 12:55 PM
Raffy and Will back coaching baseball at MSU sounds great and glamorous, but I wonder how excited they'd be sweating their balls off in 100 degrees and rain at the Perfect Game events all summer in both Florida and East Cobb? Would they be OK chasing down and evaluating a sophomore in high school in a 9:30 PM game after waking up at 5:00 AM to be at the fields for the 7:00 AM start time?

There is so much that goes into being a college coach that is outside of what is written or what fans see. If you want them at MSU, you better make sure they are fully committed to doing the things I mentioned or MSU will get its face beat in on the recruiting trail.

You want to know why Florida is so good? It's because their coaching staff is entirely made up of former MLB scouts and minor league coaches. Guys that know how to evaluate, project, and develop on young talent. That's what wins

msbulldog
04-19-2016, 12:58 PM

I see it!

mparkerfd20
04-19-2016, 01:02 PM
Would love to see him as our hitting coach.

ShotgunDawg
04-19-2016, 01:07 PM
Would love to see him as our hitting coach.

Ok. So you are only allowed 3 full time coaches and our hitting coach is the one that's been landing top 5 recruiting classes and sweating his balls off all Summer. He's attracting top 5 classes to a school that has a poor instate talent base and no scholarship advantages.

You are willing to give that up so Raffy can be our hitting coach?

maroonmania
04-19-2016, 01:10 PM
In some ways its sort of a shame for him and us IMO. The one place that he is universally loved is at Mississippi State University but yet he really hasn't stayed connected with our program in much of any way even after he his professional career was over. And now that both of his sons chose to play baseball somewhere other than MSU, even though both of their parents are MSU alums and their Mother is from Tupelo (thanks again Ron Polk), it just sort of feels like he has turned his back on us about like professional baseball turned its back on him. I would love for him to get back connected with and be supportive of our baseball program but at this point I am not going to lose any sleep over it.

mparkerfd20
04-19-2016, 01:36 PM
Ok. So you are only allowed 3 full time coaches and our hitting coach is the one that's been landing top 5 recruiting classes and sweating his balls off all Summer. He's attracting top 5 classes to a school that has a poor instate talent base and no scholarship advantages.

Before this season, absolutely. We're hitting better this year, so I'd at least have to think about it.

maroonmania
04-19-2016, 01:39 PM

So is Mingione our hitting coach? I was under the impression that Cohen did most of the hitting instruction with more assistance from Will Coggin than Mingione.

Maroonthirteen
04-19-2016, 01:43 PM
Just because a retired millionaire who spent three years of his 51 years in Starkville, isn't clamoring to live in Starkville and work 80 hour weeks, means nothing about his relationship with MSU. He has given more money to MSU than most ever will. He has given at least enough money for us to build an indoor facility. I have seen him at numerous football games. I would say he is supportive of MSU baseball.

Todd4State
04-19-2016, 01:54 PM
Raffy and Will back coaching baseball at MSU sounds great and glamorous, but I wonder how excited they'd be sweating their balls off in 100 degrees and rain at the Perfect Game events all summer in both Florida and East Cobb? Would they be OK chasing down and evaluating a sophomore in high school in a 9:30 PM game after waking up at 5:00 AM to be at the fields for the 7:00 AM start time?

There is so much that goes into being a college coach that is outside of what is written or what fans see. If you want them at MSU, you better make sure they are fully committed to doing the things I mentioned or MSU will get its face beat in on the recruiting trail.

You want to know why Florida is so good? It's because their coaching staff is entirely made up of former MLB scouts and minor league coaches. Guys that know how to evaluate, project, and develop on young talent. That's what wins

Will Clark has a really cushy job with the Giants. I would be shocked if he came back.

But you are right- legendary players coming back doesn't work out a lot of the time because many of them assume that kids are going to come to THEM because of their big name and they will recruit themselves. As we saw with Polk, it doesn't work like that. See Don Kessinger at Ole Miss. Another example is Tony Gwynn at San Diego State- a lot of people on ESPN thought he would turn them into a super power and it didn't happen either. And sorry for the sensitive example there because he did pass away while he was their coach.

Todd4State
04-19-2016, 01:58 PM
So is Mingione our hitting coach? I was under the impression that Cohen did most of the hitting instruction with more assistance from Will Coggin than Mingione.

Mingione is the hitting coach in title so that he can go out and recruit. That's Shotgun's point- he is the one that has been hauling in our really good classes along with Butch. But most of the hitters we have that are currently second in the SEC in hitting after facing statistically the top five pitching staffs in the SEC (if I remember correctly) plus Oregon's staff are guys that he has brought in.

Coggin does assist Cohen more with the hitting and he has done an awesome job this year- but he is technically a "volunteer assistant" coach so he can't recruit off campus.

state66
04-19-2016, 02:00 PM
Will Clark is still involved with MSU baseball. He was helping out at a baseball camp a few years ago.

BrunswickDawg
04-19-2016, 02:00 PM
Just because a retired millionaire who spent three years of his 51 years in Starkville, isn't clamoring to live in Starkville and work 80 hour weeks, means nothing about his relationship with MSU. He has given more money to MSU than most ever will. He has given at least enough money for us to build an indoor facility. I have seen him at numerous football games. I would say he is supportive of MSU baseball.

This is an area where some limitation changes by the NCAA could have a big impact. Programs should be able to have "alumni advisers" work with players during some limited time periods - say fall practices and pre-season in baseball, spring and summer camp in football, etc. If you played in the program, you could come back as a guest instructor. I think you would see a lot of guys like Clark & Raffy do things like that rather than commit to being a coach in the program.

MLB does this really well in spring training. The Braves had Andruw, Murph, Javy, Chipper, Niekro, etc. all come in and add to the instructional staff. Could you imagine what a great pitch that could be in recruiting? "During Fall camp, Raffy and Will come and work with the hitters, Brantley & Thigpen work with the pitchers, etc. etc.

Jack Lambert
04-19-2016, 02:04 PM

My balls don't sweat. I do get condensation every once in a while but I don't have to worry with rust because mine are made of stainless steel.

Todd4State
04-19-2016, 02:12 PM
This is an area where some limitation changes by the NCAA could have a big impact. Programs should be able to have "alumni advisers" work with players during some limited time periods - say fall practices and pre-season in baseball, spring and summer camp in football, etc. If you played in the program, you could come back as a guest instructor. I think you would see a lot of guys like Clark & Raffy do things like that rather than commit to being a coach in the program.

MLB does this really well in spring training. The Braves had Andruw, Murph, Javy, Chipper, Niekro, etc. all come in and add to the instructional staff. Could you imagine what a great pitch that could be in recruiting? "During Fall camp, Raffy and Will come and work with the hitters, Brantley & Thigpen work with the pitchers, etc. etc.

Honestly this is how they would be BEST utilized. Their strength is their baseball knowledge and experience. Not necessarily recruiting. And there are probably ways around it even with the NCAA. Like they could maybe meet Will Clark or Adam Frazier off campus somewhere or something like that.

Taog Redloh
04-19-2016, 02:19 PM
^^^^ YES

Man we got ex-players all over Starkville during the offseason. Raffy should be there too. At least just a presence.

bulldogcountry1
04-19-2016, 02:35 PM
Has any other pro athlete paid so dearly for so little? I think Raffy was just the easy target because he was a quiet guy, and he definitely didn't handle it well. I don't really care whether he did it or not. He was suspended for only 10 games, but it killed his career. ARod got a full season suspension, and he's still playing. Barry Bonds probably should have went to prison, and he's now the hitting coach for the Marlins.

maroonmania
04-19-2016, 02:38 PM

He did certainly give significant money for the indoor facility but when watching "Thunder and Lightning" it seemed pretty clear that that was the first football game (2014) they had been back for in a long, long time. Maybe I'm just putting too much weight on the fact that neither son wanted to play at MSU when we have one of, if not the best baseball atmospheres in the country.

maroonmania
04-19-2016, 02:41 PM
Has any other pro athlete paid so dearly for so little? I think Raffy was just the easy target because he was a quiet guy, and he definitely didn't handle it well. I don't really care whether he did it or not. He was suspended for only 10 games, but it killed his career. ARod got a full season suspension, and he's still playing. Barry Bonds probably should have went to prison, and he's now the hitting coach for the Marlins.

I think if that had happened to Raffy when he was 35 somebody would have brought him back. The fact that he was already 40 when it happened made him not worth taking the black eye to bring him back on your roster. ARod is about to retire and he is just now 40.

Todd4State
04-19-2016, 03:07 PM

I think with Palmeiro a lot of the talking heads would say things like Palmeiro didn't hit for power early in his career before steroids unlike McGwire and Bonds and I think that makes him "an example" for the ignorant who think that you take steroids and you hit 50 home runs automatically. Plus the fact that he was very adamant about not taking steroids to congress.

Todd4State
04-19-2016, 03:13 PM
He did certainly give significant money for the indoor facility but when watching "Thunder and Lightning" it seemed pretty clear that that was the first football game (2014) they had been back for in a long, long time. Maybe I'm just putting too much weight on the fact that neither son wanted to play at MSU when we have one of, if not the best baseball atmospheres in the country.

Some of it was because Cohen wasn't who Polk wanted. Palmeiro's first son Patrick was committed to us until the coaching change happened. He went to UAB to play for Polk and Shoop who was Palmero's hitting coach in college. With Preston I think some of it was because of what I said although Mingione got us in it with him and I think some of it was Preston not wanting to have to deal with the pressure of having his Dad's legacy hanging over his head.

AROB44
04-19-2016, 03:19 PM
He is still my favorite MSU player. Just loved watching him play (and I am not really a baseball person...even though I did own 3 seats in the Dude for 15+ years).

Tbonewannabe
04-19-2016, 03:25 PM

He definitely served as MLB whipping boy in front of congress. You look at McGuire and Sosa after they got off the juice and you can tell they were juicing. Raffy still looks the same as when he was playing. He and Ken Griffey Jr. just had perfect smooth swings that are just God given. It is a travesty that 1 test that showed winstrol condemns him and keeps him out of the Hall of Fame. If he really was taking roids then his test 2 weeks later would have still showed winstrol. People don't pass tests months after they fail because it stays in your system for so long.

Tbonewannabe
04-19-2016, 03:29 PM
I think with Palmeiro a lot of the talking heads would say things like Palmeiro didn't hit for power early in his career before steroids unlike McGwire and Bonds and I think that makes him "an example" for the ignorant who think that you take steroids and you hit 50 home runs automatically. Plus the fact that he was very adamant about not taking steroids to congress.

I read an article once that talked about how his dad was rough on him about not hitting for more power when he first came up with the Cubs. He was hitting over .300 but his dad basically said no one cares if you don't hit the long ball. He said he sacrificed hitting for a higher average after a couple of years in the bigs.

Taog Redloh
04-19-2016, 03:35 PM

It was the finger wag, bro. T&L explained it perfectly. His attorney advised him terribly.

Todd4State
04-19-2016, 03:52 PM
I read an article once that talked about how his dad was rough on him about not hitting for more power when he first came up with the Cubs. He was hitting over .300 but his dad basically said no one cares if you don't hit the long ball. He said he sacrificed hitting for a higher average after a couple of years in the bigs.

George Brett and Ichiro are kind of like that too in that when they were in their prime they could have hit for more power if they wanted to but opted for more hits and a higher average and I could definitely see Palmeiro being like that as well because obviously he hit for power at MSU.

War Machine Dawg
04-19-2016, 08:43 PM
He definitely served as MLB whipping boy in front of congress. You look at McGuire and Sosa after they got off the juice and you can tell they were juicing. Raffy still looks the same as when he was playing. He and Ken Griffey Jr. just had perfect smooth swings that are just God given. It is a travesty that 1 test that showed winstrol condemns him and keeps him out of the Hall of Fame. If he really was taking roids then his test 2 weeks later would have still showed winstrol. People don't pass tests months after they fail because it stays in your system for so long.

I'm just gonna say this once and then not touch it again. There is no way in hell Raffy didn't know what he was taking. I was having a family dinner one night last year and had the Thunder and Lightning SEC Storied episode on in the background. When my mother, a pharmacist, heard Raffy claim he thought he was taking B12 she immediately said "No way. I've given a bunch of B12 shots and I've given testosterone shots. B12 is red and watery. There's no way you're going to mistake a steroid for it." And mind you, my mother could pretty much care less about sports. Raffy juiced. He's one of ours and I'll always appreciate him, but he did it.

That said, virtually every guy from that period is getting totally screwed and Raffy more than most. Everyone knew what was happening. MLB and Bud Selig tacitly signed off on the juicing. The Chase for 62 and the subsequent years of offensive explosion saved baseball. Throwing those guys under the bus after using them is completely shitty. Steroids didn't make anyone a Hall of Famer who wouldn't have been one anyway and didn't keep anyone out who would have made it otherwise. But we've got a bunch of self-righteous, ancient baseball writers who see it as their duty to "protect the integrity of the game" and they've ****ed up the Hall forever. The list is so logjammed it's ridiculous. Then there are the guys who are completely off the ballot like Raffy. It can literally never be fixed because of the assclown writers. If they wanted to put an asterisk - so be it. But the decade plus of vilification after the fact has been completely unnecessary.

Now I'll get off my soapbox and move along.

maroonmania
04-19-2016, 08:48 PM
I'm just gonna say this once and then not touch it again. There is no way in hell Raffy didn't no what he was taking. I was having a family dinner one night last year and had the Thunder and Lightning SEC Storied episode on in the background. When my mother, a pharmacist, heard Raffy claim he thought he was taking B12 she immediately said "No way. I've given a bunch of B12 shots and I've given testosterone shots. B12 is red and watery. There's no way you're going to mistake a steroid for it." And mind you, my mother could pretty much care less about sports. Raffy juiced. He's one of ours and I'll always appreciate him, but he did it.

That said, virtually every guy from that period is getting totally screwed and Raffy more than most. Everyone knew what was happening. MLB and Bud Selig tacitly signed off on the juicing. The Chase for 62 and the subsequent years of offensive explosion saved baseball. Throwing those guys under the bus after using them is completely shitty. Steroids didn't make anyone a Hall of Famer who wouldn't have been one anyway and didn't keep anyone out who would have made it otherwise. But we've got a bunch of self-righteous, ancient baseball writers who see it as their duty to "protect the integrity of the game" and they've ****ed up the Hall forever. The list is so logjammed it's ridiculous. Then there are the guys who are completely off the ballot like Raffy. It can literally never be fixed because of the assclown writers. If they wanted to put an asterisk - so be it. But the decade plus of vilification after the fact has been completely unnecessary.

Well please ask her if someone was taking Stanozol could they fail a test and then pass another test within a couple of weeks? I seriously want to know if that's possible to do. If not, I would really question the validity of the original test. I mean I don't want to go all OJ conspiracy on mishandled urine or blood samples but that does seem very weird to fail a test and then pass another in that short of a time frame.

Percho
04-19-2016, 09:02 PM
Winstrol’s Half-Life
The half-life of Winstrol pills is 8 hours while the half-life for the Winstrol injections is 12 hours. For this reason, most people will take pills twice a day while only using one injection per day. Winstrol is not similar to other injectable forms of anabolic steroids in terms of being a watery suspension, instead of an oil based solution of a compound. This is the reason why it has unordinary pharmacokinetics which does not go well with the half-life of Winstrol. In fact there is a persistent effect that slowly occurs. This lasts only for a week. User’s traces of Winstrol may remain in the injectable site for a longer period of time; however this can leads to failure in drug test.

http://winstrolresults.com/winstrol-half-life/

Todd4State
04-19-2016, 10:52 PM
I'm just gonna say this once and then not touch it again. There is no way in hell Raffy didn't know what he was taking. I was having a family dinner one night last year and had the Thunder and Lightning SEC Storied episode on in the background. When my mother, a pharmacist, heard Raffy claim he thought he was taking B12 she immediately said "No way. I've given a bunch of B12 shots and I've given testosterone shots. B12 is red and watery. There's no way you're going to mistake a steroid for it." And mind you, my mother could pretty much care less about sports. Raffy juiced. He's one of ours and I'll always appreciate him, but he did it.

I don't think it's MLB as an organization that has thrown them under the bus so much as it is the media as you said. They're not banned from baseball or the Hall of Fame for that matter- and MLB allows McGwire and Bonds to coach which in and of itself tells me that they aren't totally black balled from MLB itself. Compare how MLB treats those players compared to Pete Rose. And actually if there is anyone that has been black balled from MLB over this it's Jose Canseco and rightfully so.

It's just that some guys choose to continue to be active in MLB such as McGwire and Bonds and others choose to keep a lower profile such as Palmeiro and Roger Clemens. If Palmeiro wanted to be a part of a MLB organization like Clark or even a coach I'm pretty sure there are a lot of organizations that would be more than happy to have him around. From what I understand Palmeiro just wants to hang out around his son and watch him play for now- and nothing wrong with that at all.

And I agree 110% about the writers making the HOF a joke. The steroid era is an era in and of itself- which is no different than the dead ball era, the live ball era, etc. Players that are nominated for the HOF should be judged based on how they performed against their peers in the era that they played in. So- roided up McGwire hits a home run off of roided up Clemens. Playing field leveled.

War Machine Dawg
04-19-2016, 11:21 PM
I don't think it's MLB as an organization that has thrown them under the bus so much as it is the media as you said. They're not banned from baseball or the Hall of Fame for that matter- and MLB allows McGwire and Bonds to coach which in and of itself tells me that they aren't totally black balled from MLB itself. Compare how MLB treats those players compared to Pete Rose. And actually if there is anyone that has been black balled from MLB over this it's Jose Canseco and rightfully so.

It's just that some guys choose to continue to be active in MLB such as McGwire and Bonds and others choose to keep a lower profile such as Palmeiro and Roger Clemens. If Palmeiro wanted to be a part of a MLB organization like Clark or even a coach I'm pretty sure there are a lot of organizations that would be more than happy to have him around. From what I understand Palmeiro just wants to hang out around his son and watch him play for now- and nothing wrong with that at all.

And I agree 110% about the writers making the HOF a joke. The steroid era is an era in and of itself- which is no different than the dead ball era, the live ball era, etc. Players that are nominated for the HOF should be judged based on how they performed against their peers in the era that they played in. So- roided up McGwire hits a home run off of roided up Clemens. Playing field leveled.

Completely agree. And this is something else that pisses me off about the writers and the steroid era: They act like only the hitters were juicing when we know for a fact that pitchers were too. Hell, the whole Clemens "retirement" garbage those last 3-4 years of his career was so he could cycle on and off an extra couple of months for half a season or so of play. But the hitters get relentlessly slammed while the pitchers essentially skate. The whole situation is just complete garbage. The Hall had never been about comparing players from various eras until the dinosaur writers needed an excuse to keep out Raffy, Big Mac, Bonds, Sosa, et. al.

maroonmania
04-19-2016, 11:24 PM

Yea, the only bad part is that it puts the guys that did apparently stay clean (like a Will Clark) at a disadvantage when being measured against those guys. EVERYBODY played with a dead ball or a live ball, not everyone who played during the steroid era was doing them.

Todd4State
04-19-2016, 11:42 PM
Yea, the only bad part is that it puts the guys that did apparently stay clean (like a Will Clark) at a disadvantage when being measured against those guys. EVERYBODY played with a dead ball or a live ball, not everyone who played during the steroid era was doing them.

I think the solution to that is to take that into account on an individual basis. Using Clark as an example- as a voter with logic I would have to assume that his numbers would have been better had he used steroids and estimate how he would have done had he used them. Also, I'm sure Clark got some hits and home runs off of some guys that used steroids.

The thing about it is we never really will know how many guys actually did use steroids. I think it was so widespread I would imagine that most players during that era used them at one time or another even if it was just a one time deal.

DancingRabbit
04-19-2016, 11:43 PM
Well please ask her if someone was taking Stanozol could they fail a test and then pass another test within a couple of weeks? I seriously want to know if that's possible to do. If not, I would really question the validity of the original test. I mean I don't want to go all OJ conspiracy on mishandled urine or blood samples but that does seem very weird to fail a test and then pass another in that short of a time frame.

Sep 23, 2005
http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2169007

Orioles executive vice president Jim Beattie quickly denied that Tejada supplied steroids to Palmeiro. "Miggy [Tejada] is cleared in any implication that he provided steroids to Palmeiro," Beattie said. "That was investigated by HHPAC [House Health Policy Advisory Committee], and just to be sure they tested the stuff that Miggy had. It was found to be the B-12. That cleared it. End of story."

Feb 11, 2009
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/122763-what-else-did-miguel-tejada-lie-about

Houston Astros shortstop, Miguel Tejada appeared before a federal judge this morning to plead guilty to charges of lying to Congress about his knowledge of, and involvement with, Performance Enhancing Drugs in Major League Baseball.

Evidence shows that if you lie to Congress, or a grand jury, about steroids usage you will be charged and prosecuted for perjury; yet, Congress failed to charge Rafael Palmeiro. Congress had Palmeiro's drug tests, they had inconsistencies in Tejada's testimony, and they interviewed a dozen other people involved.

Why, then, didn't they prosecute Palmeiro, like they have prosecuted Bonds, Tejada, and Clemens? They believed him.

Political Hack
04-20-2016, 07:10 AM
MLB definitely employed a "don't ask, don't tell" strategy when the game started exploding again with Big Mac and Sosa. The media caught it and ran with it, but MLB knew exactly what the hell was going on.

Raffy has paid long enough. He did less and was less belligerent when they came after him, which didn't position him well for a PR comeback. He needs a catalyst now. A new job. A new book. A movie. Something. He had to rebrand himself and ask the MLB fans for forgiveness. He'll never win the media, but if he can win back the fans it would be a start.

Also, if he ever takes a position at State it'll be a cush job where he has to walk around and shake hands. I'd love to see it but I can't see that being his top priority in life. Also, how would Cohen feel about having a bigger legend on campus who's name is on the building behind him? How would fans react if we start losing under Cohen and Raffy was sitting 20 feet away?

BrunswickDawg
04-20-2016, 08:22 AM
MLB definitely employed a "don't ask, don't tell" strategy when the game started exploding again with Big Mac and Sosa. The media caught it and ran with it, but MLB knew exactly what the hell was going on.

3 things that MLB has never wanted to admit; 1)the PED problem long predated Mac & Sosa - it started full force in the mid-80s; 2)MLB juiced the balls; 3)Pitchers have been and always will be the ones who benefit more - they have to to recover. Look at how many more pitchers are getting popped now. 2015 was a 50/50 split between P and position players getting suspended.

Taog Redloh
04-20-2016, 08:42 AM
Also, if he ever takes a position at State it'll be a cush job where he has to walk around and shake hands. I'd love to see it but I can't see that being his top priority in life. Also, how would Cohen feel about having a bigger legend on campus who's name is on the building behind him? How would fans react if we start losing under Cohen and Raffy was sitting 20 feet away?
He doesn't need a position on campus. He's got plenty of money. He just needs to be connected to the program somehow. The hand shaking part is good. Just be seen in Starkville with MSU stuff on. Hold camps or something. Be a mentor. Etc.