PDA

View Full Version : WMD's AC QB: 2016 Maroon & White Game Edition

War Machine Dawg
04-18-2016, 01:08 PM
Gents, I'm back with another edition of AC QB for the 2016 Maroon & White Game. (http://www.forwhomthecowbelltolls.com/2016/4/18/11448418/wmd-armchair-qb-2016-maroon-white-game-edition-msu-bulldogs-dan-mullen) With baseball sucking hind tit this past weekend, let's talk a little pigskin. Hope you enjoy.

GTHOM
04-18-2016, 01:21 PM
I hate to be that guy but Staley will not play SEC QB unless he improves not just his footwork but mentally he struggles to see the field. Also, I get the Cam Newton comparisons because of the height and hell they even wear the same equipment but it stops there. Other than that I didnt find too much I disagreed with, might need to pump the brakes on Alec Murphy he looked good but theres no reason to give up on Aeris Williams dude can ball hes shown it. Just gotta fix the fumbles if he keeps doing that its over for him. If Deion Calhoun and Elgton Jenkins sit the bench this year it is like you said willful ignorance and should be a fireable offense for somebody. No chance in hell desper is better than either one. We hinted at the new looks we're gonna throw out defensively especially up front we had a stand up end on every play, Im sure Sirmon didnt wanna show the 3-4 too early. Cant wait to see who he puts at the viper position because we have got some dawgs at safety that could do it. Peters, McLaurin and Bryant all could walk up in the box. Those 3 are gonna raise hell

Jack Lambert
04-18-2016, 01:30 PM
Fitz will be the guy next year however I think Tiano is the best on the team. I just hope he doesn't leave because he is playing behind Fitz. I was really impress with Tiano Saturday even with the interceptions.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-18-2016, 01:39 PM
Calhoun has started all spring & I think Jenkins & Rankin end up playing the most snaps at OT.

Hypnodawg
04-18-2016, 01:49 PM
Staley caught a TD? I was told in no uncertain terms he wasn't a receiver.

War Machine Dawg
04-18-2016, 01:52 PM
Staley caught a TD? I was told in no uncertain terms he wasn't a receiver.

He's not.

Covercorner2
04-18-2016, 02:07 PM
He's not.

I was actually wondering the other day if we should split him out wide around the goal line. He can obviously jump and probably has decent hands...

TrapGame
04-18-2016, 02:13 PM
Fitz will be the guy next year however I think Tiano is the best on the team. I just hope he doesn't leave because he is playing behind Fitz. I was really impress with Tiano Saturday even with the interceptions.

I was impressed with Tiano too. He has that "it" factor to me. And that's good for the QB stable. I want furious competition with these guys pushing each other to be the best QB they can be.

HoopsDawg
04-18-2016, 02:18 PM

If Tiano is the best, just go ahead throw him out there.

msstate7
04-18-2016, 03:04 PM

Yep... Only qb with sec experience is Williams. All of them will be green

War Machine Dawg
04-18-2016, 09:43 PM

One good scrimmage doesn't trump all the good things we've seen from Fitz so far. Rushing QBs is one of the worst possible things you can do. Based on Mullen's track record with QBs, I'm willing to trust that whoever winds up being The Guy this year will be the one who gives us the best chance of winning and is the most ready.

Todd4State
04-19-2016, 02:36 AM
I was actually wondering the other day if we should split him out wide around the goal line. He can obviously jump and probably has decent hands...

My hope is that Jamal Couch can come in as a freshman and fill that role. No guarantee on that though. If he's not ready, I bet we'll use Peters down there.

It's sad when you have to use a safety as your red zone WR because the rest of the guys are midgets.

Todd4State
04-19-2016, 02:43 AM

I don't care if Tiano is the next Joe Montana- it's going to be Fitzgerald. And we all saw how Dan handled the last QB controversy we had- he just named Dak and Tyler co-starters. And if Fitz struggles, I bet he will go with Staley before he goes with Tiano.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Fitzgerald is fine as the starting QB. If there is one thing I can't criticize about Dan it's QB development.

If anything kills our offense it's going to be our o-line and the fact that we don't have a tank at QB that can pretty much gain yardage more often than not no matter who is blocking.

Reason2succeed
04-19-2016, 03:53 AM
Find an offensive identity.
Get the OL worked out. If that means a new OL coach so be it.
Place Shumpert at Fullback/H-back and run a lot of two tailback sets with a dual threat QB to create a type of triple option look to the offense.
To help with the lack of talent/inexperience/inconsistency on the OL use TEs to occupy LBs and safeties both through blocking and short safety valve dump off routes for QB.
Take at least two shots per quarter deep (30yds or more) down field to WRs to keep the secondary honest.
Be fast and/or physical on offense by going back and forth between near jumbo packages with TEs and two back sets to five wide WR/scatback sets.

Name a feature RB and a primary backup. Screw committee. Get better if you want to play. I like Aeris Williams, Dontavian Lee, and Alec Murphy from everything I've heard and seen.
Use Holloway and Malik Dear as scatback that can play slot in the same way

Let The defense do their thing because Sirmon & Co. will have them ready.

maroonmania
04-19-2016, 09:07 AM
Right now I don't think I would call Staley the best pure passer of the group. He definitely has the strongest arm but often his accuracy and ball placement is poor. Also, he usually seems to just stare down one receiver. Best pure passer to me is a tight race between Fitz and Williams. One of Fitz's INTs on Saturday hit Mixon right in the hands and Mixon popped it up for the interception that likely cost the White a TD. To me the offense just looked more in rhythm with Fitz at QB than anyone else and he seems to bet the best combination of running AND passing at the moment. Have to admit though, with the exception of his first series, Williams looked significantly better than I thought he would. Right now I would go 1. Fitz 2. Williams 3. Tiano 4. Staley but with Tiano loving to run the ball like he does I can see he has a lot of upside in Mullen's offense if he improves in the passing game. And apparently he did have the highest completion percentage in the Spring of all the QBs.

mic
04-19-2016, 09:14 AM
I don't think one of the 2 Staley or Williams will be enrolled come fall... This isn't a shot at either of them...
I don't read much I too the spring game. I do like that The QBs were fair game and live.. I want the QB that has the IT factor.. In the end that might be #14....

mic
04-19-2016, 09:19 AM
Right now I don't think I would call Staley the best pure passer of the group. He definitely has the strongest arm but often his accuracy and ball placement is poor. Also, he usually seems to just stare down one receiver. Best pure passer to me is a tight race between Fitz and Williams. One of Fitz's INTs on Saturday hit Mixon right in the hands and Mixon popped it up for the interception that likely cost the White a TD. To me the offense just looked more in rhythm with Fitz at QB than anyone else and he seems to bet the best combination of running AND passing at the moment. Have to admit though, with the exception of his first series, Williams looked significantly better than I thought he would. Right now I would go 1. Fitz 2. Williams 3. Tiano 4. Staley but with Tiano loving to run the ball like he does I can see he has a lot of upside in Mullen's offense if he improves in the passing game. And apparently he did have the highest completion percentage in the Spring of all the QBs.

I agree with your Staley assessment ..
He might be the best passer 7-7.. No question he throws the best ball.. But in live action not so much.. I just don't think he has the IT factor...
Would love for that light to come on for him...

Maroonthirteen
04-19-2016, 09:34 AM
A closer comparison is Trey Rutland than Newton.

Maroonmania has an accurate take on the QB battle. But let me say this, I would have killed for any of these 4 guys back in 2005-2009. They are all decent to good. Unfortunately everyone will focus on Daks replacement and make comparisons to Daks play. But our biggest concern will not be QB but OL, RB and secondary. Those should be the focus of concern.

QB....Fitz, Tiano will be good but no Dak. Williams will be a guy to handle the position if we have terrible luck injury wise. Staley may can find a role as a third and short QB.

TrapGame
04-19-2016, 09:44 AM
Staley may can find a role as a third and short QB.

From what I saw at the game Saturday I'd bet that's Tiano's role next season. He trucked Richie Brown twice like he was running through smoke.

War Machine Dawg
04-19-2016, 08:46 PM
I don't think one of the 2 Staley or Williams will be enrolled come fall... This isn't a shot at either of them...
I don't read much I too the spring game. I do like that The QBs were fair game and live.. I want the QB that has the IT factor.. In the end that might be #14....

And I made that disclaimer before ever starting. Definitely agree about the QBs being live. Made the game so much better.

Reason2succeed
04-19-2016, 09:40 PM

Maroonmania has an accurate take on the QB battle. But let me say this, I would have killed for any of these 4 guys back in 2005-2009. They are all decent to good. Unfortunately everyone will focus on Daks replacement and make comparisons to Daks play. But our biggest concern will not be QB but OL, RB and secondary. Those should be the focus of concern.

QB....Fitz, Tiano will be good but no Dak. Williams will be a guy to handle the position if we have terrible luck injury wise. Staley may can find a role as a third and short QB.

Wow! You said Trey Rutland. I don't know if I forgot about him or tried to forget about him. Not because he was a bad guy but just because those were some dark days in State history.

No one is going to BE Dak. Remember Dak wasn't even Dak at this time in his development compared to these QBs. Therefore I think that only Mullen can really make the actual call because the most important things will be the intangibles of drive to do the little things right and keep getting better that none of us can see. But I hope that if the guy is Tiano that we would go ahead and let him start getting the experience. Overall though I trust Mullen on QBs.

War Machine Dawg
04-19-2016, 11:29 PM
Wow! You said Trey Rutland. I don't know if I forgot about him or tried to forget about him. Not because he was a bad guy but just because those were some dark days in State history.

No one is going to BE Dak. Remember Dak wasn't even Dak at this time in his development compared to these QBs. Therefore I think that only Mullen can really make the actual call because the most important things will be the intangibles of drive to do the little things right and keep getting better that none of us can see. But I hope that if the guy is Tiano that we would go ahead and let him start getting the experience. Overall though I trust Mullen on QBs.

And this is why I don't get the incessant negativity for Staley around here. Yes, he's got some things to work on. So does every damn QB on the roster, including Golden Boy Fitz. But virtually everyone who sees Staley says the same thing: He's easily the most high upside QB of the group. He could make a huge jump between now and fall or now and next spring. And no one should be surprised if he makes that jump. He's focusing on football full time for the first time since he's been on campus. Way too soon to throw him under the bus or run him off, but apparently a sizable portion of our fan base has their collective mind made up about him.

Cue the lemmings to say: "B...b...but WMD, Staley's supposed lack of work ethic or immaturity or dancing or blah blah ****ing blah."

Todd4State
04-19-2016, 11:45 PM

Staley showed me he was better than Rutland on that one TD pass alone. Even if that is all Staley does during his career at MSU- he is still and forever will be better than Tray Rutland.

PendingTransaction
04-19-2016, 11:47 PM
And this is why I don't get the incessant negativity for Staley around here. Yes, he's got some things to work on. So does every damn QB on the roster, including Golden Boy Fitz. But virtually everyone who sees Staley says the same thing: He's easily the most high upside QB of the group. He could make a huge jump between now and fall or now and next spring. And no one should be surprised if he makes that jump. He's focusing on football full time for the first time since he's been on campus. Way too soon to throw him under the bus or run him off, but apparently a sizable portion of our fan base has their collective mind made up about him.

Cue the lemmings to say: "B...b...but WMD, Staley's supposed lack of work ethic or immaturity or dancing or blah blah ****ing blah."

WMD, give it up. Many would rather have Fitz if it meant going 0fer. I wish they would start some movement to get Williams and Staley to transfer to JSU. That laughing, dancing and superman stuff is way past acceptable for these guys.

Barking 13
04-19-2016, 11:52 PM
just a delirious thought, but I wonder if CDM would play two of the four at the same time in certain situations like goalline or 3rd or 4th and short... line them up side by side and decide on the last second which one to snap it to.....

it's been a rough week and a half, and I played too much backyard ball as a kid......

Todd4State
04-20-2016, 12:20 AM
WMD, give it up. Many would rather have Fitz if it meant going 0fer. I wish they would start some movement to get Williams and Staley to transfer to JSU. That laughing, dancing and superman stuff is way past acceptable for these guys.

Personally, I don't really care who we start. I just think Dan is most likely to start Fitzgerald knowing how Dan operates.

Duckdog
04-20-2016, 05:59 PM
I don't care who we start LETS JUST WIN. Dancing around superman bullshit will not be welcomed by me. I don't care if he's just a kid etc etc have some damn class

GTHOM
04-20-2016, 07:33 PM
I'm all for the dancing superman stuff as long as we win. Hell he's winning us games I dont care if he goes Joe Horn and pulls his cell phone out of the field goal post.

bulldawg28
04-20-2016, 07:37 PM
I don't care who we start LETS JUST WIN. Dancing around superman bullshit will not be welcomed by me. I don't care if he's just a kid etc etc have some damn class

I don't think he or anyone cares if it's accepted By YOU. Dancing has nothing to do with class it's a celebration. Dak acknowledged his God and mother, he Supermans. Get over it....Or just stay in 1951.

Duckdog
04-20-2016, 07:40 PM
I don't think he or anyone cares if it's accepted By YOU.

How classy of you

bulldawg28
04-20-2016, 07:47 PM
I'm going on a limb saying Williams starts the 1st game backed by who knows.

bulldawg28
04-20-2016, 07:49 PM
How classy of you

I could have named called and really been classy. I just dabbed instead.

Coach34
04-20-2016, 08:27 PM
It really doesnt matter who the QB is. Our OL is going to get them hurt. We got to have 2 ready to play

War Machine Dawg
04-20-2016, 09:45 PM
I don't think he or anyone cares if it's accepted By YOU. Dancing has nothing to do with class it's a celebration. Dak acknowledged his God and mother, he Supermans. Get over it....Or just stay in 1951.

No kidding. It's sports. It's supposed to be fun. So long as it isn't vulgar, who cares?

bulldawg28
04-20-2016, 10:05 PM
It really doesnt matter who the QB is. Our OL is going to get them hurt. We got to have 2 ready to play

Whatever guy. Are you campaigning for the OL job?