PDA

View Full Version : Basketball Grad Transfer Visiting

Ifyouonlyknew
04-18-2016, 11:44 AM
According to Jon Rothstein of CBSSports, Darion Clark Forward from USC, is visiting Wednesday. A 6'7" 225lbs 4 man.

smootness
04-18-2016, 11:49 AM
Any idea as to why we're looking at him? His numbers seem to suggest he was a non-factor.

Dawg61
04-18-2016, 11:54 AM
Good rebounder apparently. USC is going to be very good next year so he wouldn't get a lot of minutes thus the transfer I'm guessing.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/la-sp-usc-basketball-20160219-story.html

Dawg61
04-18-2016, 11:56 AM
Howland showing that LA connection. Andy Enfield the USC coach has spoken very highly of this guy. Said he's one of the best rebounders in the nation.

gtowndawg
04-18-2016, 12:00 PM
Lord knows we could use help on the glass.

Eric Nies Grind Time
04-18-2016, 12:04 PM
Any idea as to why we're looking at him? His numbers seem to suggest he was a non-factor.

Great rebounder even in limited minutes. From an article I saw in the LA Times:

"The Trojans struggled in his absence. They went 19-7 when Clark played and 2-6 when he didn't, including a season-ending loss to Providence in the first round of the NCAA tournament."

Dawg61
04-18-2016, 12:05 PM
Any word on Livingston? If we added this guy and Livingston we would have zero issues rebounding the ball.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-18-2016, 12:08 PM
On Clark he was injured this year so that played a part in his minutes decreasing. On Livingston I've heard we've decided to go in a different direction.

Dawg61
04-18-2016, 12:18 PM
On Clark he was injured this year so that played a part in his minutes decreasing. On Livingston I've heard we've decided to go in a different direction.

Dang he looked really good. Character issue?

MarketingBully
04-18-2016, 12:35 PM
I like this guy from what I read. Would give us a big boost on the boards.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-18-2016, 12:47 PM

Well he did have the arrest last year for assaulting a cop but I'm not sure that's why we seem to be going in a different direction.

basedog
04-18-2016, 12:53 PM
Well he did have the arrest last year for assaulting a cop but I'm not sure that's why we seem to be going in a different direction.

I think this would play a big part. We don't need trouble.

Jack Lambert
04-18-2016, 12:56 PM
Howland showing that LA connection. Andy Enfield the USC coach has spoken very highly of this guy. Said he's one of the best rebounders in the nation.

Who knows this could be a charity offer to get someone else later.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
04-18-2016, 01:01 PM
According to Jon Rothstein of CBSSports, Darion Clark Forward from USC, is visiting Wednesday. A 6'7" 225lbs 4 man.

Yes! a post about basketball. I was wondering what Howland and crew have been up to.

mic
04-18-2016, 06:05 PM
Every team needs a guy like this .. Boards, defense, dirty work, Ect... Just think Brandon Vincent
Plus he brings that needed experience we are going to need with our 4 and 5 guys...
If CBH wants this kid I'm all in with him....

MarketingBully
04-18-2016, 06:19 PM
Every team needs a guy like this .. Boards, defense, dirty work, Ect... Just think Brandon Vincent
Plus he brings that needed experience we are going to need with our 4 and 5 guys...
If CBH wants this kid I'm all in with him....

Yep, me too.

MarketingBully
04-19-2016, 05:00 AM
IYOK, quick question. Are there any concerns with grades in our 2016 basketball recruiting class or are some of our 247 posters full of shit? I'm thinking they are full of shit but just want to make sure. And when I say this, if the chances of us getting our full class in is at 70% or higher then that classifies them as full of shit. I just haven't heard that from anyone other then some notorious negative posters on 247.

drummerdawg
04-19-2016, 08:59 AM
Does he play PF at 6'7''?

Ifyouonlyknew
04-19-2016, 09:02 AM
IYOK, quick question. Are there any concerns with grades in our 2016 basketball recruiting class or are some of our 247 posters full of shit? I'm thinking they are full of shit but just want to make sure. And when I say this, if the chances of us getting our full class in is at 70% or higher then that classifies them as full of shit. I just haven't heard that from anyone other then some notorious negative posters on 247.

There's a couple who have to finish some things up & may not be here 1st summer term or perhaps 2nd but everyone last I heard should be here in the fall.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-19-2016, 09:03 AM
Does he play PF at 6'7''?

Yes. Roq was 6'7" & played the 4. I would've killed to have Roq back last season he would've made a huge difference.

MarketingBully
04-19-2016, 09:28 AM
There's a couple who have to finish some things up & may not be here 1st summer term or perhaps 2nd but everyone last I heard should be here in the fall.

That's what I thought. Thanks for the post and thanks for all of your info especially in basketball. I really enjoy your insight!

JOHNHEVESYMADE
04-19-2016, 10:24 AM

The staff doesn't think he is good enough for SEC. They think he would be a role player at best. We know about Clark and are recruiting two more 5th year guys should hear more in the next two weeks.

Dawg61
04-19-2016, 11:20 AM
The staff doesn't think he is good enough for SEC. They think he would be a role player at best. We know about Clark and are recruiting two more 5th year guys should hear more in the next two weeks.

No room unless they taking walkons

C222
04-19-2016, 11:29 AM
No room unless they taking walkons

There will be room

msstate7
04-19-2016, 11:33 AM

Would we take all 3 if we could?

Dawg61
04-19-2016, 11:38 AM
There will be room

How? Gotta wait till they sign kinda thing huh

C222
04-19-2016, 01:25 PM
How? Gotta wait till they sign kinda thing huh

I'm assuming Malik doesn't come back and someone is released.

JOHNHEVESYMADE
04-19-2016, 01:52 PM
We think out of the 3 we will get 2. We only want 2.

MarketingBully
04-19-2016, 02:01 PM
Man, I'm really excited about basketball. Coach Howland is showing me he is going to do whatever it takes to win in all facets of the game. He recruits at a level we have never seen. He has a knowledge of the game second to none and now can play the grad transfer game as well as anyone. This is awesome for a fan that loves basketball best among the big three. :)

Dawg61
04-19-2016, 02:23 PM
We haven't signed a grad transfer so idk if we can deem him playing the grad transfer game as well as anyone just yet.

djaymsu5
04-19-2016, 06:27 PM
We think out of the 3 we will get 2. We only want 2.

Can you not say who the other is? Kind of a hush hush thing right now.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-26-2016, 10:22 PM
UPDATE: Dorian Clark committed to Grand Canyon University tonight. I have to think we passed if he's headed there.

Dawg61
04-26-2016, 10:57 PM
UPDATE: Dorian Clark committed to Grand Canyon University tonight. I have to think we passed if he's headed there.

Wow. Guess he didn't want to wait on Newman any longer? Only half joking.

JOHNHEVESYMADE
04-27-2016, 11:53 AM
Now on to Moorehead State PG and the 4 man from Duquense. I'll be very surprised if we don't get the PG from Moorehead. Just about everybody in the country except for the blue bloods want the post from Duquense so I'm not as confident.

msstate7
04-27-2016, 01:49 PM
Now on to Moorehead State PG and the 4 man from Duquense. I'll be very surprised if we don't get the PG from Moorehead. Just about everybody in the country except for the blue bloods want the post from Duquense so I'm not as confident.

If we get pg, ready gone?

Johnson85
04-27-2016, 01:49 PM

Surprised we would be going after a grad transfer PG. Thought we would have rolled the dice with just Ready and Peters, and then Newman if he comes back.

msstate7
04-27-2016, 01:52 PM
Surprised we would be going after a grad transfer PG. Thought we would have rolled the dice with just Ready and Peters, and then Newman if he comes back.

If Malik returns, I hope it's as a 2. Howland hasn't asked my opinion yet though

mic
04-27-2016, 01:55 PM

IJ can play the 2 some.
I'm sure peters can play the 2 some as well
Q can play the 3 .
And I'm guessing if we take the PG transfer he can also play the 2 some..
This tells me more that We are wanting to redshirting Carter...

And when it comes to MN... I think everyone has a very good idea that he is going to enter the draft...

Johnson85
04-27-2016, 02:10 PM
If Malik returns, I hope it's as a 2. Howland hasn't asked my opinion yet though

Just worrying about State, Malik at the 2 is clearly better, but I assume if he comes back he's going to want to work some at the 1 and that we would let him.

BulldogBacker
04-27-2016, 03:03 PM
Just worrying about State, Malik at the 2 is clearly better, but I assume if he comes back he's going to want to work some at the 1 and that we would let him.

I think it is less than 50:50 that Malik returns. In fact, I would say 75:25 he doesn't. If he does, he starts at the PG.

dparker
04-27-2016, 03:10 PM
I think it is less than 50:50 that Malik returns. In fact, I would say 75:25 he doesn't. If he does, he starts at the PG.

I was at a Road Dawgs lunch today and Coach Howland mentioned that Newman arranged to take online courses over the summer to stay eligible. He even mentioned that he was back on campus at one point making sure everything was in order in case he returns. Newman may want to go pro but to me that signals that he has a good head on his shoulders and hasn't ruled out coming back.

JOHNHEVESYMADE
04-27-2016, 10:04 PM
If we get the PG from Moorehead expect Ready to leave. We want a fifth year guy that can come in and start then Peters will be starting PG as a sophomore. I also don't expect Malik to be back.

DCdawg
04-27-2016, 10:15 PM
If we get the PG from Moorehead expect Ready to leave. We want a fifth year guy that can come in and start then Peters will be starting PG as a sophomore. I also don't expect Malik to be back.

I have no inside info, but Howland was very complimentary of IJ this past season on many occasions. I don't know that I see Ready leaving at this point, though I think he needs to shoot at least 50% fewer times a game than he does.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
04-27-2016, 10:35 PM
I have no inside info, but Howland was very complimentary of IJ this past season on many occasions. I don't know that I see Ready leaving at this point, though I think he needs to shoot at least 50% fewer times a game than he does.

I have no problem with him staying as long as he learns his role. I have a feeling he will.

smootness
04-28-2016, 08:53 AM
I would like to add Corban Collins but not if it means we lose Ready. Ready played really, really well down the stretch last year.

msstate7
04-28-2016, 09:03 AM
I would like to add Corban Collins but not if it means we lose Ready. Ready played really, really well down the stretch last year.

I think if Howland replaces ready, it will bc of ready's defense, not offense. Ready is a pretty good offensive player, but not good defensively at all... Think Garcia at 3b for the braves haha

Johnson85
04-28-2016, 12:22 PM

I'm really surprised by this. Is the PG from Moorehead a stud? As much as Howland played Ready last year, I figured he liked his game. I realize we didn't have any other options, but still surprised he would rather enter the season with no PG that has played for him before, rather than going in with Ready and Peters.