PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know where we stand with Avery Gennesy?

Goat Holder
08-16-2013, 10:21 AM
We really need that guy IMO, to give us 3 OL to help plug that gap coming in 2015/2016. And we need a sure thing, and he's as close as we're going to get. I don't like seeing MS guys in MS JUCO get away, like Donald Hawkins did in 2012. These guys can save us - see James Carmon in 2011.

Big4Dawg
08-16-2013, 10:26 AM
Not good. Behind 4-5 teams.

engie
08-16-2013, 10:26 AM
Gennesy is tough to get a read on... No one seems to know for sure what he's thinking -- but the sheer number of times that he's been constantly visiting us seems like a good sign. He's got a ton of offers -- but at least he's (originally) a Mississippi kid making him less likely to leave IMO...

But as Za'Darius Smith proved last year -- no one ever really knows what's going on with JUCO recruiting...

engie
08-16-2013, 10:28 AM
Not good. Behind 4-5 teams.

I'm 100% sure this is incorrect...

Big4Dawg
08-16-2013, 10:30 AM
"I'd say right now my top ten would be Kentucky, Ohio State, Tennessee, Georgia, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Ole Miss, Kansas State, Mississippi State and I?m not sure about the last one,? he said. Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Kentucky, Tennessee and Georgia are the ones I?m focused on the most."

Just going by what he said yesterday.

hacker
08-16-2013, 10:30 AM
I don't even think he's mentioning us in his top 5 anymore.

See: http://247sports.com/Player/Avery-Gennesy-15527

Coach34
08-16-2013, 10:31 AM
no chance at this point I'd say

jumbo
08-16-2013, 10:31 AM
In his top 10, not in his top 5.

EMCC has another OT that their coach said is even better than AG that our staff is waiting to see this fall

FISHDAWG
08-16-2013, 10:35 AM
but engie is 100 % ... what gives ?

bocfarm
08-16-2013, 10:36 AM
We continue to struggle getting sec caliber tackles...not saying Gennessy is but other big schools seem to think so as well and that's a decent indicator

Coach34
08-16-2013, 10:39 AM
but engie is 100 % ... what gives ?

Engie may know more than me on this one- no idea. I say no chance

Goat Holder
08-16-2013, 10:39 AM
Probably doesn't help that we didn't pursue him out of high school. Seems to me like OL typically go JUCO because they aren't good enough out of HS, but other positions go due to grades. At least the eventual true D1 types.

engie
08-16-2013, 10:40 AM
I didn't read that as naming leaders... I read it more as "focusing on" them because he's never been there and doesn't know anything about them -- and Taylor Hamm probably took it mildly out of context. Just like Aeris was focusing on FSU for awhile and camped down there.

ETA: He visited MSU 12 days ago. You mean to tell me that aTm jumped ahead of MSU sight unseen without ever getting a visit from a MS kid that's never played outside the state simply by offering? Something isn't quite right with that picture IMO

Gennesy has spent a ton of time at Ole Miss and MSU. Hell, he's made a couple of day trips to MSU in the past month. Doesn't mean that he leaves the state at the end of the day IMO... But you never know in JUCO recruiting. It's about twice as crazy as highschool in reality...

That said, I believe I've read where he was an OM placement out of highschool -- so one has to think that if/when they offer him, they've probably got the inside track...

It has also seemed like he wasn't a high priority for us in the class for whatever reason. Not positive that that's true -- but it's been perceived...

Goat Holder
08-16-2013, 10:41 AM
Well Robinson was supposedly a 4*/5* type, plus we got Jake Thomas so I won't get on the staff too much.

engie
08-16-2013, 10:51 AM
Well Robinson was supposedly a 4*/5* type, plus we got Jake Thomas so I won't get on the staff too much.

Yeah, we were really spoiled with Sherrod. I just want a blue-chip highschool bookend tackle that can give us 3 years at the spot...Dunno if we've found that yet or not, but tend to think we haven't... OT is the one spot where we've really got to make a move in recruiting -- because the boys up north are cleaning up on bookend tackles(methods notwithstanding). Tunsil, Golson, the commit Bauer etc....

HancockCountyDog
08-16-2013, 10:59 AM

Flowers is going to be a solid player.

I doubt Jake Thomas is still on the team in 3 years. Just a guy that got a lot of pub that is no where close to being able to help us at this point. That is one of the reasons we are going JUCO, we know that the incoming freshman can't be expected to play next year and actually do much, especially Thomas.

I was hearing this at the AL/MS all star game that he was one of the worst looking OL there. Sometimes it just happens. Now maybe he will make huge jumps in progression, but normally that doesn't happen.

The good news is that I talked to someone this morning and he says that the next Anthony Dixon is on campus and his last name rhymes with Frumpert. Been told that he will be hard pressed to keep off the field, and that next year a backfield with a healthy Nick Griffin and Shumpert, with Dak pulling the strings, will be our best backfield since Dan has arrived on campus.

Goat Holder
08-16-2013, 11:23 AM
Flowers is going to be a solid player.

I doubt Jake Thomas is still on the team in 3 years. Just a guy that got a lot of pub that is no where close to being able to help us at this point. That is one of the reasons we are going JUCO, we know that the incoming freshman can't be expected to play next year and actually do much, especially Thomas.

I was hearing this at the AL/MS all star game that he was one of the worst looking OL there. Sometimes it just happens. Now maybe he will make huge jumps in progression, but normally that doesn't happen.

Well, we are a program that redshirts players, so that's not a big problem to me, and it's expected. I think we're going JUCO because we missed in the 2011 class, namely because Redmond and Maiden left. Mullen sees the gap coming, and glad he's addressing it NOW, instead of in the 2015 class or not at all like Croom would have. He just sat in Green Bay, bitched about the lack of talent instead of getting 2 or 3 JUCOs in 2004, and then went 3-9 for 3 years, which happens when you don't have an OL worth a shit. I wish we'd gotten Mix though. If Clausell can develop into a decent prospect, I'm confident that Mix and Thomas could or would have. I'd like to see another JUCO AND another HS OL taken in this class, but I doubt it happens. Hopefully we'll load up next year, with at least 5.

The good news is that I talked to someone this morning and he says that the next Anthony Dixon is on campus and his last name rhymes with Frumpert. Been told that he will be hard pressed to keep off the field, and that next year a backfield with a healthy Nick Griffin and Shumpert, with Dak pulling the strings, will be our best backfield since Dan has arrived on campus.

I'll agree with that, I said it from the beginning that Shumpert was the next elite Mississippi tailback. Hope we get Williams going soon, because one thing people forget, is using your QB as a bowling ball opens yourself up to injury, see Relf in 2011. Sounds good in theory, especially for one year. But it takes a toll. There aren't many with Tebow's and Newton's durability out there.

HancockCountyDog
08-16-2013, 11:43 AM
Well, we are a program that redshirts players, so that's not a big problem to me, and it's expected. I think we're going JUCO because we missed in the 2011 class, namely because Redmond and Maiden left. Mullen sees the gap coming, and glad he's addressing it NOW, instead of in the 2015 class or not at all like Croom would have. He just sat in Green Bay, bitched about the lack of talent instead of getting 2 or 3 JUCOs in 2004, and then went 3-9 for 3 years, which happens when you don't have an OL worth a shit. I wish we'd gotten Mix though. If Clausell can develop into a decent prospect, I'm confident that Mix and Thomas could or would have. I'd like to see another JUCO AND another HS OL taken in this class, but I doubt it happens. Hopefully we'll load up next year, with at least 5.

I just can't get worked up over losing Mix. He was a project to begin with and Im just not sure he fit the style of offense we want to run. I could be wrong on that, but that is my opinion.

Im kind of like Engie and ready for one of these "four star" high school OT's to pan out. Robinson will most likely be a career backup (I hope) and Thomas isn't someone who will be starting next year either.

Barking 13
08-16-2013, 11:46 AM
There's one more Sherrod brother...;):D I don't think he even plays football, unless it's NCAA2014

sandwolf
08-16-2013, 11:49 AM
I'm 100% sure this is incorrect...

Where are you hearing that? This is what he had to say about his recruitment in an interview that was done yesterday:

"I don't really have a top five or anything like that, but there are a lot of schools that are recruiting me hard," said Gennesy. "Oklahoma, Ohio State, Texas A&M, Kentucky, Georgia and Tennessee are talking with me a lot.

"I talk some with Mississippi State when they get up with me and I have talked with Ole Miss some, but I am not sure if they are going to offer me or not.

"I haven't set up any official visits yet, but I know I want to visit Oklahoma, Ohio State, Texas A&M and probably Georgia.

"I will have to find me another school for that fifth visit."

I hope you are right, but strictly based on the above, I don't really see how you can be 100% sure that we are not behind 4 or 5 teams.

engie
08-16-2013, 12:15 PM
Mississippi State is not and will never be outside of the top 5 for a lifelong Mississippi kid that we want... That's basically a given... That's why I'm saying that something isn't adding up beyond the "norm"...

This makes it sound even more like we've been giving him the cold shoulder to an extent... which I really do not understand. IF we want him and go after him 100%, there is zero chance we finish outside the top 5. Might not get him -- but will not be outside the top 5.

camsu
08-16-2013, 12:24 PM
We also have to remember his OL Coach now is a MSU Grad. That should help. Know soon enough if he is a DEC grad

FISHDAWG
08-16-2013, 12:47 PM
but do we have enough of a chance on him to warrant holding a precious schollie until probably Feb. ?

engie
08-16-2013, 01:01 PM
but do we have enough of a chance on him to warrant holding a precious schollie until probably Feb. ?

Why would we hold a scholly till February for what will, in all likelihood, be a December grad -- or otherwise be of minimal interest to us?

No point in wasting time on a JUCO in the trenches if they aren't an EE and/or total blue chip(read Toby Johnson last year)...That extra practice time is uber-important for guys that you only recruit if you expect them to help you immediately...can get away with late enrollees at skill positions...just not in the trenches.

Barking 13
08-16-2013, 01:04 PM
Mississippi State is not and will never be outside of the top 5 for a lifelong Mississippi kid that we want... That's basically a given... That's why I'm saying that something isn't adding up beyond the "norm"...

This makes it sound even more like we've been giving him the cold shoulder to an extent... which I really do not understand. IF we want him and go after him 100%, there is zero chance we finish outside the top 5. Might not get him -- but will not be outside the top 5.

Could be OUR coach...

FISHDAWG
08-16-2013, 01:15 PM
my bad ... completely forgot about the early JuCo thing ... that was my point, why hold up a schollie if he isn't expected to sign with us ... I assume, if we offer then we would have to hold that schollie in case he accepted .... am I wrong in this assumption ?

Big4Dawg
08-16-2013, 01:36 PM

Mullen and crew must feel fine about the two JUCO T's we have committed and what we have on campus.

engie
08-16-2013, 02:33 PM
my bad ... completely forgot about the early JuCo thing ... that was my point, why hold up a schollie if he isn't expected to sign with us ... I assume, if we offer then we would have to hold that schollie in case he accepted .... am I wrong in this assumption ?

No. We offer 100s of kids every year. 24/7 has us at 223 offers for this class and already 58 for next class. That's completely non-binding to us in the exact same way that a commitment is non-binding to players.

We only send LOIs to 25(or however many we intend to sign) the week before they are eligible to sign.