PDA

View Full Version : This might be the worst o-line I've seen

tireddawg
04-16-2016, 02:30 PM
at State in a loooong time. Dare I say Croom's were better

Saltydog
04-16-2016, 02:34 PM
Gives me a headache just thinking about it........

maroonwhitedawg3ddd
04-16-2016, 02:37 PM
Yep but we keep letting Heavesy hang around!! smh

tireddawg
04-16-2016, 06:56 PM
Is Dan really blinded by their friendship?

dawgoneyall
04-16-2016, 07:13 PM
at State in a loooong time. Dare I say Croom's were better

We either have the best DL in college football or the worst OL line in college football. I like pick door # 2.

Dawgface
04-16-2016, 07:47 PM
Is Dan really blinded by their friendship?

Yep.

Jack Lambert
04-16-2016, 09:22 PM
They had 15 practices over 45 days or so. No way they can jell into a good unit. At this point defenses line is going to whip you. Why not wait until the season to start before thumping your nuts. No one wants to hear a bunch babies go on and on about the same thing for four months.

You really lose all credibility when you start saying this is worse then Croom.

Bothrops
04-16-2016, 09:46 PM
As a whole, the defense looked improved from last year's spring practice. Coaching.

tireddawg
04-16-2016, 11:32 PM
They had 15 practices over 45 days or so. No way they can jell into a good unit. At this point defenses line is going to whip you. Why not wait until the season to start before thumping your nuts. No one wants to hear a bunch babies go on and on about the same thing for four months.

You really lose all credibility when you start saying this is worse then Croom.

Now Mr. Jack Lambert, I can't thump my nuts, can't see em, I'm just a baby.
But I do know what I saw & I have seen, & so have you, some o-lines in the past, under Croom that was better.
When you say it ain't so, when we all know it to be fact, we'll sir I believe you are the one to have lost some credibility.
And that's a shame because you are 1 of my favorite posters. But it won't make me feel any different about ya. So you're good there.
But I guess we'll move on and agree to disagree.
Oh and by the way, this is the first time I've mentioned it.
Hope your evening is swell...

MarketingBully
04-17-2016, 12:59 AM
The Lashley miss still boggles my mind especially considering Lashley will not play for a long time at Alabama and he could have helped us immensely right away.

AROB44
04-17-2016, 03:30 AM
Originally Posted by Jack Lambert

They had 15 practices over 45 days or so. No way they can jell into a good unit. At this point defenses line is going to whip you. Why not wait until the season to start before thumping your nuts. No one wants to hear a bunch babies go on and on about the same thing for four months. You really lose all credibility when you start saying this is worse then Croom

Some have to keep beating that dead horse. I guess it makes them feel important (or they really don't have any thing else to say).

Jack Lambert
04-17-2016, 08:15 AM
Originally Posted by Jack Lambert

They had 15 practices over 45 days or so. No way they can jell into a good unit. At this point defenses line is going to whip you. Why not wait until the season to start before thumping your nuts. No one wants to hear a bunch babies go on and on about the same thing for four months. You really lose all credibility when you start saying this is worse then Croom

Some have to keep beating that dead horse. I guess it makes them feel important (or they really don't have any thing else to say).

I just think we should wait until the finish product is put on the field. Just don't want to read about it over and over and over until the season starts. If the season comes and they suck I will be on board with it. That's all I am saying.

Taog Redloh
04-17-2016, 08:42 AM
The Lashley miss still boggles my mind especially considering Lashley will not play for a long time at Alabama and he could have helped us immensely right away.
Very low probability of him doing anything other than redshirting, had he signed with us.

Taog Redloh
04-17-2016, 08:48 AM
I'm not sure how we could get much worse. Aren't we bringing back 3 of them? I have purposely been avoiding off-field football stuff, but isn't Clayborne, Desper and Senior returning at minimum? Didn't Calhoun, Cochran and Jenkins play a good bit last year too? And surely we will get something out of Johnson and/or Rankin. We also got 3 more who redshirted, not counting the new freshmen.

We are definitely lower than I want to be on numbers, but it seems we could string something together out of that bunch. As always, we will only be as good as the OL.

maroonmania
04-17-2016, 08:53 AM

Nothing about a miss in our OL recruiting should boggle your mind when Hevesy is involved. Pretty obvious that Hevesy's best recruiting has been done with players that know he will not be their position coach.

AROB44
04-17-2016, 09:13 AM
I just think we should wait until the finish product is put on the field. Just don't want to read about it over and over and over until the season starts. If the season comes and they suck I will be on board with it. That's all I am saying.

I agree 100%.....but I just meant that there are still some that will bring it up ad nauesum just to be able to "contribute something".

Coach34
04-17-2016, 09:59 AM
Now Mr. Jack Lambert, I can't thump my nuts, can't see em, I'm just a baby.
But I do know what I saw & I have seen, & so have you, some o-lines in the past, under Croom that was better.
When you say it ain't so, when we all know it to be fact, we'll sir I believe you are the one to have lost some credibility.
And that's a shame because you are 1 of my favorite posters. But it won't make me feel any different about ya. So you're good there.
But I guess we'll move on and agree to disagree.
Oh and by the way, this is the first time I've mentioned it.
Hope your evening is swell...

Actually- the problem with Croom's OL's was that there were so many in the box and the defense knew what we were going to run. We were the most predictable team in the nation. Croom's OL's had David Stewart and Sherrod who were both drafted- and Croom also recruited Gabe Jackson who went on to play in the NFL. So far- a John Hevesy recruit has yet to be drafted.

I Would love a Croom OL talent-wise at this point

mic
04-17-2016, 10:35 AM
I'm not sure how we could get much worse. Aren't we bringing back 3 of them? I have purposely been avoiding off-field football stuff, but isn't Clayborne, Desper and Senior returning at minimum? Didn't Calhoun, Cochran and Jenkins play a good bit last year too? And surely we will get something out of Johnson and/or Rankin. We also got 3 more who redshirted, not counting the new freshmen.

We are definitely lower than I want to be on numbers, but it seems we could string something together out of that bunch. As always, we will only be as good as the OL.

We won't feel the effect of the numbers until about 2018 , that's why this 2017 class better have 7-8 OL in it and we can't miss but on about 3 of them...
And we better hope the Reese kid from Fla we got in 2016 ( thank you TBuck ) is a SEC ready guy sooner than later..

And I agree the OL should be much improved from last year.. I know it's basically the same bunch but our depth should be better and more experienced and we are replacing a TE with what was suppose to be the #1 juco OL...

NCDawg
04-17-2016, 11:28 AM
Nothing about a miss in our OL recruiting should boggle your mind when Hevesy is involved. Pretty obvious that Hevesy's best recruiting has been done with players that know he will not be their position coach.

A lot of us have complained about Hevesy for years, but it does no good as long as Mullen is coach. We might as well accept the fact that Hevesy will be the OL coach as long as Mullen is here. Just like Croom-McCorvey- no matter how bad our OL performs, we are stuck with him.

tireddawg
04-17-2016, 11:35 AM
Actually- the problem with Croom's OL's was that there were so many in the box and the defense knew what we were going to run. We were the most predictable team in the nation. Croom's OL's had David Stewart and Sherrod who were both drafted- and Croom also recruited Gabe Jackson who went on to play in the NFL. So far- a John Hevesy recruit has yet to be drafted.

Me too. And I'm tired of hearing people make excuses for Mullen about it.. It's a "let's wait and see". Wait and see what?
That we have a subpar o-line under Mullen & have had for the most part

Jarius
04-17-2016, 12:36 PM
More than likely the offensive line is going to look a lot like last year since most staters are returning. The problem is they aren't going to have a top 3 round qb behind them to bail out their shitty play this year.

bulldawg28
04-17-2016, 01:24 PM

Croom didn't recruit David Stewart.

maroonmania
04-17-2016, 01:57 PM
A lot of us have complained about Hevesy for years, but it does no good as long as Mullen is coach. We might as well accept the fact that Hevesy will be the OL coach as long as Mullen is here. Just like Croom-McCorvey- no matter how bad our OL performs, we are stuck with him.

I'm not complaining, just an is what it is situation. But no reason to EVER be surprised when we lose out on an OL recruit that we should have the inside track on if they have other good options. And yes, with Croom you were stuck with McCorvey and with Mullen you are stuck with Hevesy. No point in complaining unless you just want to hear yourself talk.

tireddawg
04-17-2016, 02:58 PM
For me, I don't complain much, I just had to get it off my chest. I'm thankful for what Mullen has done & have enjoyed it.
You are right, it is what it is.
I just don't understand why we can't get at least 1 top notch o-lineman, especially when we had Dak.
Does Mullen really leave the Recruiting to Hevesy?
Things I can't understand or put a finger on really big the hell out me.
I know dead horse. I'll try to move on

And if I were Scott it would definitely be a point of contention, but I'm not so...

Coach34
04-17-2016, 03:34 PM
Croom didn't recruit David Stewart.

nope- but he played for him. Just like Sherrod and Jackson played for Mullen- and our OL's have gone downhill ever since Croom's guys left

tireddawg
04-17-2016, 03:49 PM
Should we replace Hevesy with Croom?**

War Machine Dawg
04-17-2016, 05:47 PM

I'm sure I'll get killed for saying it, but that would be a HUGE upgrade. Croom may have been an all-time shitty HC, but he's one hell of an assistant coach. And his personality would play well in crootin. He wouldn't be my first choice or second choice, but we could definitely do worse.

Todd4State
04-17-2016, 07:04 PM

Actually I might be OK with J B Grimes over Hevesey.

Coach34
04-17-2016, 07:09 PM

Corky from Life Goes On would be better on the recruiting trail than Hevesy. Donald Trump would be better than Hevesy recruiting. A Muslim wearing a bomb would be better recruiting than Hevesy.

But he does coach fairly well. However, if I'm Mullen, Ive got to cut him loose. The lack of talent on the OL has already cost us a chance at the playoffs- and its not getting any better. How can Mullen as the OC continue to be limited by a shitty OL?????

tireddawg
04-17-2016, 07:48 PM
Question is does Scott recognize this and has there been any dialogue between them about it?

SallyStansbury
04-17-2016, 07:50 PM
Good question, Coach.

I am ready for the excuses; "poor decision making" by an inexperienced QB, no RB "stepping up" to take on the 290lb DT running untouched after our QB, no RB "hitting the hole" quickly enough? 1. Fitz will be running for his life. 2. Holloway might get killed. 3. There will be no hole.

Let's hope our WRs come back healthy or it will compound 1&2 listed above.

Also, while I fully expect the issues listed above to be the root cause of our troubles, expect comments from Mullen about our 3-4 needing more time, players getting used to new scheme, etc.....

Too predictable. 7 wins will be a homerun.

MarketingBully
04-17-2016, 07:55 PM

Exactly, Croom had Grimes an excellent OL coach.

tireddawg
04-17-2016, 08:06 PM
Grimes is at Auburn, right? Any chance?

raymond21
04-17-2016, 08:10 PM
OL will not be worse than last years

tireddawg
04-17-2016, 08:15 PM
OL will not be worse than last years

If you don't mind, what makes you say that?

bulldawg28
04-17-2016, 08:24 PM
If you don't mind, what makes you say that?

Different playcalling for one will make a difference.

gravedigger
04-18-2016, 03:51 PM
Different playcalling for one will make a difference.

What i think most people have glossed over is that between the 2014 and 2015 seasons the sports world made a big deal of dak and his ability to run. Highlight after highlight.

And so what did every team, especially LSU, decide to do? Stack the box and not let dak or anyone else beat them with the run.

What did we all conclude? Line wasnt blocking. Running backs sucked. Not that teams took that away. Then we decided to go with what they werent taking away. The pass.

Of course i oversimplified it to make a point, but the whole OL croom talk is beyond irrational. Hevesy isnt urinating in kids living rooms and mullen isnt trying to change our fight song to new york, new york.

Its the ebb and flow of college football.

We have a particularly tough row to hoe in the west.

We'll win 7 this year. Not because we r good. But because we arent playcalling to protect draft position.