PDA

View Full Version : 1,000 yard WR

Bullmutt
08-16-2013, 09:49 AM
Guys, this is my first new thread, so don't kick my ass til my nose bleeds, if you please.

There's been an awful lot of talk and positive reporting about several of our young but inexperienced WR's. I'd like to hear everyone's opinion , based on what we know so far, as to which one is most likely the first to have a 1,000 yard year.

bocfarm
08-16-2013, 09:58 AM
No one

Political Hack
08-16-2013, 10:00 AM
Ross. I think he's the most complete and will likely have the most experience coming into next year.

Political Hack
08-16-2013, 10:01 AM
No one

first to have "a 1,000 yd year"... not this year.

Coach34
08-16-2013, 10:03 AM
we'll be more run-oriented next season with Dak/Staley full-time. We arent going to have a 1,000 yd WR anytime soon IMO

SignalToNoise
08-16-2013, 10:07 AM
Based on everything I've been hearing, If I were a betting man then I would bet on Ross.

My gut tells me that Tubby Lewis is going to have a great year but not sure he's a 1000 yard guy like you are asking about.

Sorry for this thread jack, but what is the plan on red shirting at WR this year? I am guessing that Mullen has told the incoming crop they can compete for immediate playing time since we return no starters.

bhamdog54
08-16-2013, 11:12 AM
Rojo

quickstrike2
08-16-2013, 11:18 AM
Can't see us having a 1,000 yard receiver this year. Doesn't mean someone may not emerge and have 10+ TD catches like Bumphis last year though.

smootness
08-16-2013, 11:23 AM
Guys, this is my first new thread, so don't kick my ass til my nose bleeds, if you please.

There's been an awful lot of talk and positive reporting about several of our young but inexperienced WR's. I'd like to hear everyone's opinion , based on what we know so far, as to which one is most likely the first to have a 1,000 yard year.

When was the last time we had one?

I'm not being a d-bag, I seriously am wondering; it has to have been a while. Chad got to 922 last year, but I can't remember anyone coming that close in recent years. Thus, I'm not sure any of them will ever do it.

ETA: Just checked. Our all-time single-season record is McDole with 1,035 yards in 1978, and he may be the only one to ever break the 1,000-yard mark. So, if I were a betting man, I would bet no one currently on our roster gets there.

Although Ross should have a very, very good career.

quickstrike2
08-16-2013, 11:37 AM

I'm not being a d-bag, I seriously am wondering; it has to have been a while. Chad got to 922 last year, but I can't remember anyone coming that close in recent years. Thus, I'm not sure any of them will ever do it.

ETA: Just checked. Our all-time single-season record is McDole with 1,035 yards in 1978, and he may be the only one to ever break the 1,000-yard mark. So, if I were a betting man, I would bet no one currently on our roster gets there.

Pretty sure McDole was the last one to do it.

War Machine Dawg
08-16-2013, 11:51 AM
Hard to believe Moulds never had a 1,000 yard season.

elitedawgs
08-16-2013, 11:55 AM

That's not how this place rolls. This is a good thread by the way.

MSUDawg4Life
08-16-2013, 11:55 AM

Our offenses have been run based for practically all of our history until now. Mullen's offense has been producing guys who have been setting numerous offensive records (Dixon, Russell, Perkins). Didn't Tyler Russell just set the passing yards mark last year? It's not unreasonable to think the Mullen's offense would continue to evolve and records continue to be broken and set.

I think Fred Ross could break the 1000 yard barrier in the next couple of years. Or another WR. It's possible.

Barking 13
08-16-2013, 12:04 PM
They gotta catch the damn ball first.....

MSUDawg4Life
08-16-2013, 12:07 PM
They gotta catch the damn ball first.....

No shit, Sherlock. You're onto something there. You done figured it out.

Sandman14
08-16-2013, 12:28 PM
No one. Not any time soon. Not under Dan Mullen. Our passing numbers are about to go down after Russell leaves. And like has been said, only maybe one person in history of MSU, so even apart from Mullen's offensive philosophy, the answer would be no one.

And it's a shame you have to lead out by begging not to get your ass kicked in until your nose bleeds. Some folks ought to get the message and cut the bullshit. Have a little fun. Don'g get so damn personal.

Hypnodawg
08-16-2013, 12:31 PM
Don't throw it to stone hands! That has been the bane of the MSU passing game for at least the last 20 years. Drive after drive killed from dropped passes, or worse, deflected to a defender.

Barking 13
08-16-2013, 01:41 PM
Don't throw it to stone hands! That has been the bane of the MSU passing game for at least the last 20 years. Drive after drive killed from dropped passes, or worse, deflected to a defender.

exactly what I was trying to say, and from practice reports, I'm not getting a fuzzy feeling... the only one I've heard that has caught anything is Lewis.. not a peep about Rojo, or anybody else, as well as lots of picked passes from TR...

Bothrops
08-16-2013, 02:44 PM
No one. We are probably going to be more of a grind-it-out team this year. I expect to see more rushing yards and shorter routes with TE's, than last year. We may not score as much, but, hopefully, our defense can limit the number of points needed to win. But Fred Ross should be an immediate impact guy at receiver.

Sandman14
08-16-2013, 03:17 PM
That's not how this place rolls.

If what you say is true, why do you think he had to go on and say what he said? He's been reading since April.

mic
08-17-2013, 08:28 AM
if we have one this year , which we wont it will be Lewis.. he has the ability to take a 10 yard pass and turn it into a 70yrd play. With our stable of backs we should have at least a 60/40 run to pass ratio this year..
I think we will have 2 different backs rush for close if not more than a 1000 yrds each

Political Hack
08-17-2013, 09:16 AM
"Not under Mullen?" I don't get that at all. Our QB broke the single season passing record las year and will become MSU's all time leading passer under Mullen.

MSUDawg4Life
08-17-2013, 10:29 AM
"Not under Mullen?" I don't get that at all. Our QB broke the single season passing record las year and will become MSU's all time leading passer under Mullen.

It's not just passing. If you look at rushing yardage, total yardage and points scored, Mullen's offense is among the best we've ever had if not the best.

Some of these people are clueless.

Political Hack
08-17-2013, 11:13 AM
That's my thing... when has CDM had a 6'4" guy in one side and a 6'5" guy on the other with Shump snorting at the LBs?

Bump could've easily went over 1,000 last year if we didnt need to get some young guys experience for this year. I wouldn't be totally shocked if MoJo gets close this year. Id put his over under for a healthy season around 750 yards.

I also expect Staley to spread the wealth and have a lot f success with the WRs we brought in last year once he takes over.