PDA

View Full Version : Mid-season draft risks (hitters).....

Taog Redloh
04-15-2016, 12:45 PM
Robson is probably gone, he's hitting .372. Will probably come down, but still. Foregone conclusion.
Same with Humphreys, he's at .350 with 3 bombs. Plus has a good arm. Another foregone conclusion.

Gets iffy with Rooker and Lowe. Rooker's stats are identical to Humphreys, and Lowe was potentially a high level pick last year allegedly, now hitting .328 with a couple of bombs. Reasonable to expect he'll finish at .310 or so with maybe 4 bombs.

In this day and age, if you are a hitter and have a chance to use leverage as a junior, you do it, because you never know if a slump is coming. So the question is, do these guys get drafted because chances are if they do they are gone. I never really thought about Lowe because we have Gordon ready to take over if leaves, but it would be nice to get 2 back from Humphreys, Collins, Rooker and Kruger to give us some power next year. Seems likely right now it's Collins and Kruger, based solely on stats. Before the year began I figured it was Humphreys and Collins that were likely gone.

Jack Lambert
04-15-2016, 12:46 PM
We only scored two runs against Florida the third game and won. It isn't like you have to score a whole bunch of runs to win.

Taog Redloh
04-15-2016, 12:51 PM
We only scored two runs against Florida the third game and won. It isn't like you have to score a whole bunch of runs to win.
That's great but I ain't worried about pitching for next year, even with the loss of Hudson and likely Sexton. We may lose more than that. Assuming we lose D. Brown and Houston too, we still have a stocked supply. Pilkington, Small, Breaux, James, Cyr, Tatum, Smith, Rigby. I don't expect Ford back just yet and probably not Hughes either.

Add the freshmen, and the high chance we won't lose D. Brown AND Houston, and we're OK.

Homedawg
04-15-2016, 12:54 PM
Houston will get drafted and won't be back.

ShotgunDawg
04-15-2016, 12:55 PM
Robson is probably gone, he's hitting .372. Will probably come down, but still. Foregone conclusion.
Same with Humphreys, he's at .350 with 3 bombs. Plus has a good arm. Another foregone conclusion.

Gets iffy with Rooker and Lowe. Rooker's stats are identical to Humphreys, and Lowe was potentially a high level pick last year allegedly, now hitting .328 with a couple of bombs. Reasonable to expect he'll finish at .310 or so with maybe 4 bombs.

In this day and age, if you are a hitter and have a chance to use leverage as a junior, you do it, because you never know if a slump is coming. So the question is, do these guys get drafted because chances are if they do they are gone. I never really thought about Lowe because we have Gordon ready to take over if leaves, but it would be nice to get 2 back from Humphreys, Collins, Rooker and Kruger to give us some power next year. Seems likely right now it's Collins and Kruger, based solely on stats. Before the year began I figured it was Humphreys and Collins that were likely gone.

SMH..... you think your stats determine your draft value?

Robson - Back for SR year

Hump - Gone

Rooker - Maybe gone

Lowe - Back for SR year

Collins - Gone

Kruger - Back for SR year

So there, check back in 2 months & lets see how I did. Rooker is the only one on the fence.

Stats only help bring conviction tools, but, if a player doesn't have Major League tools, it doesn't matter what his stats are

Taog Redloh
04-15-2016, 01:02 PM

Hump - Gone

Rooker - Maybe gone

Lowe - Back for SR year

Collins - Gone

So there, check back in 2 months & lets see how I did. Rooker is the only one on the fence.

Stats only help bring conviction tools, but, if a player doesn't have Major League tools, it doesn't matter what his stats are
Haha, OK let's do that. Especially the Robson part.

Taog Redloh
04-15-2016, 01:02 PM
Houston will get drafted and won't be back.

Anything on Sexton?

confucius say
04-15-2016, 01:09 PM
It feels like Robson has been forever. Not in a bad way.

Steakonastick
04-15-2016, 01:22 PM
Hudson, sexton, Robson, humpreys are all gone. Houston more then likely is gone along with Collins. Daniel Brown is a wild card because he will get drafted in the top 10 rounds.

The problem is the loss of money now by staying for your senior year. It's the reason why Frazier left. He wanted to play his senior year but it was either sign for 175k or sign for 5k the next.

Political Hack
04-15-2016, 01:31 PM
A lot of people will leave after this season if they get a decent slot. That's what you want as a program though... A lot of 3-year players.

HSVDawg
04-15-2016, 02:58 PM

Hump - Gone

Rooker - Maybe gone

Lowe - Back for SR year

Collins - Gone

Robson is already a 4th year player. He ain't coming back.

Collins has no position in MLB. That alone will probably keep him out of the top 20 rounds. I think he might be back also.

Coach34
04-15-2016, 04:09 PM
Haha, OK let's do that. Especially the Robson part.

Goat has such a way of doing this with the wrong people- it's uncanny

Coach34
04-15-2016, 04:11 PM

Collins has no position in MLB. That alone will probably keep him out of the top 20 rounds. I think he might be back also.

heard a MLB scout today say just the opposite

Todd4State
04-15-2016, 04:31 PM

Hump - Gone

Rooker - Maybe gone

Lowe - Back for SR year

Collins - Gone

You are right about tools and MLB. College baseball is different than the NFL and NBA in that MLB has a very established minor league system where they take guys with potential and develop them- and have time to do so. Which means that stats at this level aren't quite as important. That's why guys like Eddy Furniss are going to be in the college baseball HOF- but still not get past AA ball.

ShotgunDawg
04-15-2016, 04:33 PM

Being that Robson is a 4th year guy, he could certainly leave but it will be a volunteer type situation because no MLB team is giving him more than $40,000 to play pro baseball. If you'd like me to guess the other guy's signing bonuses, I can so and will most likely be within $20,000 of the final number

Todd4State
04-15-2016, 04:36 PM

I can see where the scout is coming from in that you have to watch him to understand their opinion on that. I've seen Robson let a couple of balls get over his head because he was playing too shallow and take some bad routes to balls at times and little things like that. On the play where he scored against Ole Miss from first- he was VERY lucky because he was actually picked off and I think the pitcher for Ole Miss just got excited and corked a bad throw down into foul territory. He has to refine those little things like that if he wants to be drafted high. He also doesn't have a great outfield arm and he still needs to hit for more doubles and triples even though he certainly has improved in that category.

Todd4State
04-15-2016, 04:38 PM
Being that Robson is a 4th year guy, he could certainly leave but it will be a volunteer type situation because no MLB team is giving him more than $40,000 to play pro baseball. If you'd like me to guess the other guy's signing bonuses, I can so and will most likely be within $20,000 of the final number

I could see that happening.

msstate7
04-15-2016, 04:59 PM

Hump... What will his signing bonus be?

HSVDawg
04-15-2016, 10:47 PM

Say just the opposite of what? Robson doesn't have an MLB position? Collins is a future gold glove 3rd baseman? He'd be full of shit either way.

Coach34
04-15-2016, 10:53 PM
Say just the opposite of what? Robson doesn't have an MLB position? Collins is a future gold glove 3rd baseman? He'd be full of shit either way.

We have a MLB scout on the board

HSVDawg
04-16-2016, 09:15 AM
We have a MLB scout on the board

Well what did he say? I may have misinterpreted what you meant by "opposite", and if so I apologize for coming across as a smart ass.

But I don't think Gavin has an MLB position, and if he does I'd sure like to know what it is. I think most here would agree he can't play catcher or 3B at that level. So maybe 1B? As for Robson, he's not an ideal CF as he doesn't have the strongest arm, but he can play that position at least adequately at the next level with some work. I also think with him being a 4th year guy already, he doesn't really gain much by coming back even if he gets drafted in the later rounds. He should already have his degree, and he's not going to be more than an occasional XBH threat pretty much ever. But with Gavin, his struggles with the hand injury were known, and he has come back and shown to be a power hitting asset this year. But his overall hitting still needs work. He could come back next year and hit .350 with 10 - 15 HR's, and an MLB team would certainly find a place for him in the top 15 rounds. In my opinion, he has way more incentive to return than Robson.