PDA

View Full Version : Malzahn wants to move to the SEC East...

fishwater99
04-14-2016, 11:21 AM
http://www.yardbarker.com/college_football/articles/auburn_to_the_sec_east_gus_malzahn_thinks_there_wi ll_be_a_discussion_about_realignment/s1_11536_20683132

Why not move Alabama and Auburn to the East and move Kentucky and Missouri to the West.

I seen it dawg
04-14-2016, 11:23 AM
Of course he does. Along with 6 other west teams

Coach34
04-14-2016, 11:41 AM
Why not move Alabama and Auburn to the East and move Kentucky and Missouri to the West.

Because Fla, Georgia,and Tenn would have a ******* stroke

TrapGame
04-14-2016, 11:48 AM
Auburn goes to the East and Mizzou moves to the West. And when Florida, Tennessee and Georgia start beating AU routinely they'll want to be back in the West.

trob115
04-14-2016, 11:59 AM
SEC East:

Alabama
Auburn
Florida
Georgia
South Carolina
Tennessee
Vandy

SEC West:

Arky
Kentucky
LSU
MSU
OM
Mizzou
A&M

Seems like to me that those are about balanced geographically and competitively.

Coach34
04-14-2016, 12:17 PM
SEC East:

Alabama
Auburn
Florida
Georgia
South Carolina
Tennessee
Vandy

SEC West:

Arky
Kentucky
LSU
MSU
OM
Mizzou
A&M

Seems like to me that those are about balanced geographically and competitively.

Hardly- that would mean 5 teams that had won SEC titles in football in the last 50 years would be in the East....only 1 in the West. Has zero chance of happening

HSVDawg
04-14-2016, 12:34 PM
SEC East:

Alabama
Auburn
Florida
Georgia
South Carolina
Tennessee
Vandy

SEC West:

Arky
Kentucky
LSU
MSU
OM
Mizzou
A&M

The best way to geographically balance the divisions is to rename the SEC West the SEC South, then rename the East the SEC North. Then just swap UF and Arkansas to the opposite division. With this set up, all traditional annual rivalry games would be preserved except the cocktail party between UF / UGA (they can get over it). Would look like this:

SEC North:
Mizzou
Kentucky
Tennessee
South Carolina
Vandy
Georgia
Arkansas

SEC South:
Texas A&M
LSU
Florida
Ole Miss
MSU
Alabama
Auburn

confucius say
04-14-2016, 12:59 PM
The best way to geographically balance the divisions is to rename the SEC West the SEC South, then rename the East the SEC North. Then just swap UF and Arkansas to the opposite division. With this set up, all traditional annual rivalry games would be preserved except the cocktail party between UF / UGA (they can get over it). Would look like this:

SEC North:
Mizzou
Kentucky
Tennessee
South Carolina
Vandy
Georgia
Arkansas

SEC South:
Texas A&M
LSU
Florida
Ole Miss
MSU
Alabama
Auburn

I'm sure ark would approve. Fla not so much.

Dawgbite
04-14-2016, 01:13 PM
Trade Arkansas for Florida? Me not like that idea.

mic
04-14-2016, 01:35 PM
What a ***** Malzahn...
The only way it would work is to move Aub and Bama to east
Mizzu and uk to west..
Aub has to keep UGA and Bama
Bama has to keep Aub ten and LSU

Permanent cross over could be....

LSU / bama
State / aub
Texas am / Fla
UMiss / UGA
Mizzu / USCe
U.K. / vandy
Arky / Tenn

Of course UMiss would bitch about this....but Freeze would get to face his dream school every year..

Dawg61
04-14-2016, 02:06 PM
Or just leave the divisions as is and quit crying about it.

Bothrops
04-14-2016, 02:17 PM
I would be happy if the west just traded Auburn for Mizzou and be done with it. That makes the most sense. Mizzou is no where near any of their division schools anyway, and Auburn isn't far from the eastern time zone, the should go to the east.

War Machine Dawg
04-14-2016, 02:19 PM
Or just leave the divisions as is and quit crying about it.

Or just stop dragging our feet, expand to 16 with NC & VA, then move Mizzou to the West.

Jack Lambert
04-14-2016, 02:24 PM
Hardly- that would mean 5 teams that had won SEC titles in football in the last 50 years would be in the East....only 1 in the West. Has zero chance of happening

The thing is many of those teams in the West who have not won could have won the East.

Bucky Dog
04-14-2016, 02:28 PM
Alex, I will take Missouri for an Auburn and $180,000.

Dawg61
04-14-2016, 02:32 PM
I would be happy if the west just traded Auburn for Mizzou and be done with it. That makes the most sense. Mizzou is no where near any of their division schools anyway, and Auburn isn't far from the eastern time zone, the should go to the east.

I'd be happy with booting Mizzou and adding Oklahoma, Virginia/Virginia Tech and UNC/NC State.

War Machine Dawg
04-14-2016, 02:57 PM
Alex, I will take Missouri for an Auburn and $180,000.

"You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Bucky Dog aGAIN."

mic
04-14-2016, 03:32 PM

Problem with this is Bama loses its Tenn game...
If realignment ever happened Bama and Aub would both have to go.. Or they move Tenn to the west..

Jack Lambert
04-14-2016, 03:40 PM
If realignment ever happened Bama and Aub would both have to go.. Or they move Tenn to the west..

Would Tenn object?

War Machine Dawg
04-14-2016, 09:04 PM

This is why the permanent opponents are stupid. We're holding up common sense realignment for 2 schools, both conveniently in the same state with the SEC Office. **** the entire state of Alabama.

Dawg61
04-15-2016, 01:01 AM
This is why the permanent opponents are stupid. We're holding up common sense realignment for 2 schools, both conveniently in the same state with the SEC Office. **** the entire state of Alabama.

It's not that simple though. Alabama football is a huge reason why the SEC can demand multi-billion dollar tv contracts and get them and why every school in the SEC is getting an extra $50+ million dollars per year. We hate Bama but we have zero problems spending the hundreds of extra millions Bama has brought us. If Bama wants to keep playing Tennessee can we really bitch about it?

mic
04-15-2016, 08:28 AM
It's not that simple though. Alabama football is a huge reason why the SEC can demand multi-billion dollar tv contracts and get them and why every school in the SEC is getting an extra $50+ million dollars per year. We hate Bama but we have zero problems spending the hundreds of extra millions Bama has brought us. If Bama wants to keep playing Tennessee can we really bitch about it?

I'm not so much worried about this.. What bothers me the most is the scheduling..
Bama ALWAYS has a week off before they play LSU, a few years back when there were 2 open dates Bama schedules theirs the week before Texas am..
Bama always has a cupcake game the week before Auburn.. Basically giving them another week off.. There are usually about 3- 4 sec schools that have a game like this this late in the season .. Bama is always one of them..

HeCannotGo
04-15-2016, 09:15 AM
There are two problems with the current alignment: it makes no sense geographically to have Missouri in the East, and the West is much stronger in football (the only sport that really matters enough to force re-alignment) than the East.

Any re-alignment is complicated by the need to retain the following matchups each year: Alabama/Auburn, Alabama/Tennessee and Auburn/Georgia (not as famous as the Bama/UT rivalry but one of the oldest in the South).

The simple solution is to move Bama and Auburn to the East and Missouri and Vandy to the West. This gives the league a decent geographical balance and preserves the rivalries described above. However, it makes the East much tougher than the West. I can't imagine that any of the current Eastern teams would accept having to play Bama and Auburn every year with the only upside being the elimination of a long road trip to Missouri.

sleepy dawg
04-15-2016, 09:54 AM
I'd be happy with booting Mizzou and adding Oklahoma, Virginia/Virginia Tech and UNC/NC State.

North Carolina is not leaving the ACC to join the SEC... It'll never happen, so no reason to even speculate on that one.

sleepy dawg
04-15-2016, 10:01 AM
Divisions should be broken up strictly by their geographical name, not to preserve some team who claims to have 4 rivalry games they need each year. If they aren't broken up by their geographical location, then the divisions should be abandoned.

The SEC should have a duty to make sure each team plays their main rival in conference, then after that you're on your own. The conference is up to 14 teams now, and will probably be 16 at some point. The league should do what's best and makes the most sense for the league, not any 1 team.

Reason2succeed
04-15-2016, 10:25 AM
The SEC now and forever has been run by the mighty $. What makes money makes sense.
Missouri doesn't create a must see match for television with any West team so ESPN and CBS don't care.

No one in this system cares about the student athlete. Travel time is only an issue for the fans. The original institutions probably care very little about Missouri's wishes (especially since they won the East in their first two years). So, if there is going to be a change it will have to be pushed by the other East teams (especially TN, GA, Fla) who don't want to travel to Columbia every other year. Honestly, I don't see them minding that trek every other year unless it seems to give Missouri a competitive advantage. So in a nutshell: don't hold your breath.

Dawg61
04-15-2016, 10:52 AM
North Carolina is not leaving the ACC to join the SEC... It'll never happen, so no reason to even speculate on that one.

So UNC is just going to let NC State become the dominant football program in the state when the SEC offers it to them instead? Seems to me that UNC's hand is forced wether those snooty ****s like it or not. NC State is the better fit culturally anyways and Raleigh is a cool college town so I'm more than fine with the Pack.

1bigdawg
04-15-2016, 11:48 AM
UNC should look at Texas and figure out that it is their interest to join the SEC. A & M instantly became an equal to UT and is on pace to pass them by from a national perspective in a few years.

Dawg61
04-15-2016, 12:13 PM
I'm not so much worried about this.. What bothers me the most is the scheduling..
Bama ALWAYS has a week off before they play LSU, a few years back when there were 2 open dates Bama schedules theirs the week before Texas am..
Bama always has a cupcake game the week before Auburn.. Basically giving them another week off.. There are usually about 3- 4 sec schools that have a game like this this late in the season .. Bama is always one of them..

Every team has a bye week before they play Bama. Remember Saban crying about it?

Bothrops
04-15-2016, 02:27 PM
NC State would love to come to the SEC.