PDA

View Full Version : Tiger High hires Tubby Smith to replace Pastner....

War Machine Dawg
04-13-2016, 09:21 PM
I'll have to make a point to listen to sports radio here in Memphis tomorrow. I bet their fans are on suicide watch. Personally, I think Tubby is a damn good hire for them. But they were talking about Lionel Hollis with Penny Hardaway as his top assistant a few days ago.

Coach34
04-13-2016, 09:22 PM
wow

wasabaka
04-13-2016, 09:44 PM
Huge hire for them. They will be relevant again in 2 years.

Big4Dawg
04-13-2016, 09:54 PM
But but Greg Marshall....

Big4Dawg
04-13-2016, 09:55 PM
Huge hire for them. They will be relevant again in 2 years.

Kidding?? Terrible hire from what they thought they were going to hire. (Greg Marshall, Buzz, Pearl)

War Machine Dawg
04-13-2016, 09:59 PM
But but Greg Marshall....

Hahaha, yeah, that was another name they were being thrown out. Marshall is clearly waiting on a true "blue blood" job like Kansa, NC, Duke, etc. Memphis ain't a blue blood. Tubby is about right for them. But their batshit crazy fans will be ready to hang themselves.

wasabaka
04-13-2016, 10:05 PM
Kidding?? Terrible hire from what they thought they were going to hire. (Greg Marshall, Buzz, Pearl)

Totally not kidding. Tubby is an excellent floor coach and a good recruiter. Yes, he is older, but he will have them relevant in two years, much like Howland has done with us.

C222
04-13-2016, 10:06 PM
Totally not kidding. Tubby is an excellent floor coach and a good recruiter. Yes, he is older, but he will have them relevant in two years, much like Howland has done with us.

He's not a very good recruiter.

DancingRabbit
04-13-2016, 10:07 PM
Tech trying to keep Tubby. He flew back to Lubbock without signing a deal so it's still up in the air. #GodBlessBenHowland

MrKotter
04-13-2016, 10:08 PM
I'll have to make a point to listen to sports radio here in Memphis tomorrow. I bet their fans are on suicide watch. Personally, I think Tubby is a damn good hire for them. But they were talking about Lionel Hollis with Penny Hardaway as his top assistant a few days ago.

Never heard Hollins name ever mentioned. Penny, Buzz and Marshall seemed to be the top wants. Tubby will probably do well there.

Coach34
04-13-2016, 10:32 PM

They were never getting Marshall or Pearl

War Machine Dawg
04-13-2016, 10:56 PM
Never heard Hollins name ever mentioned. Penny, Buzz and Marshall seemed to be the top wants. Tubby will probably do well there.

I definitely heard it one afternoon on one of the afternoon shows. Think it was literally the afternoon after news broke Pastner was leaving. Last Thursday, maybe.

War Machine Dawg
04-13-2016, 10:57 PM
They were never getting Marshall or Pearl

Don't tell the Tiger High fans that. By God, they're a blue blood on the level of Kansas, NC, Dook, or UK. They can hire whoever they want. Just ask them.

Jack Lambert
04-13-2016, 10:57 PM
He lasted 10 years at KY with those crazy fans. He must be able to coach a little.

wasabaka
04-13-2016, 11:36 PM
He's not a very good recruiter.

Completely disagree as someone who was recruitable in the mid to late nineties. He was very good in this area, and I consider him to be a good recruiter. Everyone assumes he won a Natty with Pitino's recruits, which to me means he is above average in coaching on the floor. Memphis could have done way worse with this hire.

wasabaka
04-13-2016, 11:42 PM
Again, please feel free to quote me on this: Tubby will have Memphis relevant again in two years (will have the same or better results than Howland with us in two years). After that two years, the sky is the limit for both Howland and Tubby.

I am Mississippi State through and through, but I know a good hire when I see it, especially in basketball.

Dawg61
04-13-2016, 11:54 PM
Tubby had Texas Tech relevant this year. When's the last time besides during Bobby Knight you could say that? They have to be one of the worst power 5 programs historically. Getting Texas Tech in the tournament is a minor miracle.

preachermatt83
04-14-2016, 12:12 AM
Heckuva coach.

C222
04-14-2016, 06:43 AM
Again, please feel free to quote me on this: Tubby will have Memphis relevant again in two years (will have the same or better results than Howland with us in two years). After that two years, the sky is the limit for both Howland and Tubby.

I am Mississippi State through and through, but I know a good hire when I see it, especially in basketball.

Good coach. Average recruiter. It's not hard to have Memphis relevant. Any competent coach can do it. Hell, even Pastner had them in the tournament 4 straight years and he's a terrible coach.

AusTexDawg
04-14-2016, 09:17 AM
Quote from a Minneapolis sports columnist on Smith's time at Minnesota "In one glorious 12-hour period this fall, star player Mbakwe was avoiding jail in Miami, while Tubby's son and assistant coach, Saul Smith, was getting a DUI in the Twin Cities. Tubby's discipline? Close to nothing." Given that Memphis has had some football success with SEC castoffs, both academic and disciplinary, his approach to discipline might work for him for a while, but I would expect that it bites him in a few years.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/columnists/david-williams/What-theyve-said-good-and-bad-about-Tubby-Smith-375684621.html

thf24
04-14-2016, 09:24 AM
Memphis basketball is much like our football in that there's enough raw local talent to build a strong core with. If he can recruit well enough to hold down the Memphis kids and pull one or two good national prospects every few years, he'll do very well.

DancingRabbit
04-14-2016, 11:56 AM
Damn, Tubby got paid.

Five years $15.45M

Double what he was making at Texas Tech.