PDA

View Full Version : OT......Wifi extender question

Harrydawg
04-11-2016, 08:43 PM
I have an AirPort Extreme wifi router being used with Comcast cable. Works great but it's set up in one far corner of my house and my Apple TV is set up in the damn opposite corner.

So, I purchased a Belkin wifi extender a few years ago and it has worked well up until now. It now stops working (extender) once or so per week. It's no big deal, I just have to reset it but I think this bad boy is going to go out and not come back (one day soon, a game day).

Any recommendations on a fix - do these damn things just wear out?
Or recommendations on an extender?

Also, does anyone have Apple TV hard wired? Not using wifi, bet that's the ticket!

99jc
04-11-2016, 08:47 PM
I Have mine hard wired.....but go on amazon and get the refurbished netgear extender for about $17 they work very well.

Harrydawg
04-11-2016, 08:52 PM
Thank you, we also like to use IPads on the far side of the house as well, so the extender is a must regardless.

RocketDawg
04-11-2016, 08:53 PM
They probably wear out. I've had three or four wireless routers over the years, and they seem to last at most about three years, so I would imagine that a range extender would be about the same. I too have an Airport Extreme, as of about 6 months ago, and love it. I don't need a range extender though ... have it upstairs pretty much right in the center of the house. I also bought my own cable modem, and it works much better than the one the cable company supplied. Don't know why I didn't do it a lot sooner. Saves $7/month, but the best part is that it's better.

Harrydawg
04-11-2016, 09:13 PM
Well damn, good point on the modem

RocketDawg
04-11-2016, 09:24 PM
Well damn, good point on the modem

I got a modem from Amazon for about $70. It was the number one rated cable modem by CNet. So it pays for itself in 10 months. I think it's capable of something like 360 MB down, which is a lot more than my cable provider offers.