PDA

View Full Version : Interesting info

mic
04-11-2016, 02:32 PM
Thought some on here would like to hear this.... Good stuff..

Was on a little golf trip this weekend.. And btw way if going to the Masters is on anyone's bucket list try and check that off if anyway possible.. It's even better than you think...

Played golf with a coach currently coaching at a D1 school in college basketball.
He had coached with Rick Ray in the past..
We got to talking about him, current coaching moves and openings , Ect....
Here is what this coach told me happened around the time we hired RR..

They were together the Thursday before the final four in NoLa that year.. He said RR told him to keep everything kind of hush hush that he was really close to and pretty much thought he was going to offered the Eastern ILL job very soon. (Like within the next few days) And he (RR) was probably going to get a staff together and this guy was a possible choice for him... He said he would have probably gone with him ..

He said that weekend that Rick Ray called him and said You arent going to ****ing believe this...
I just got offered the Mississippi state job.. This guy said he didn't even have a clue Miss State was even interested few days previous .. This coach said what did they offer .. RR said 4 years 4million .. He asked him are you going to take it.. RR said ****ing right I'm taking its 4 million dollars.. This coach said His offer from East ILL was going to be about 1/3 of that..

Still amazes me that's how that went down... With a search committe and our current AD we offer a guy the head job at MSU who 3 days earlier was basically on his way to Eastern ILL...

Shit if Scott had been the AD after LT it would have probably been Hud - football .. Raffo- baseball .. And the full 4 years of RR...
I may never bitch about Mullen or Cohen again....

Thank God for GB and the short time he spent here.....

smootness
04-11-2016, 02:36 PM
Yeah, let's revisit this again. Stricklin has clearly been terrible for our athletic department**

mic
04-11-2016, 02:47 PM
Yeah, let's revisit this again. Stricklin has clearly been terrible for our athletic department**

I'm sorry have you and this coach already talked about this..??.
I'm Not revisiting shit..
Found it interesting to have a current basketball coach tell the story and basically say What The **** .. Which both he and RR said...

Tbonewannabe
04-11-2016, 03:01 PM
I have no clue how RR got the job but other than getting guys to play hard, he was obviously over his head. Can't say I blame him for taking the money though. It will be interesting to see if he does anything at SEMO. It is kind of like watching Ark St in baseball to see if Raffo turns them into a good program.

drunkernhelldawg
04-11-2016, 03:07 PM

He's been great, but this wan't his best day.

Reason2succeed
04-11-2016, 03:18 PM
Rick Ray was a stop gap to clean the program up from Stansbury's mess. He got paid $4 million to make sure that Mississippi State basketball players don't get into fist fights on TV while sitting in the stands.

reno hightower
04-11-2016, 03:22 PM
Rick Ray was a stop gap to clean the program up from Stansbury's mess. He got paid $4 million to make sure that Mississippi State basketball players don't get into fist fights on TV while sitting in the stands.

thats about 4 million too much

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
04-11-2016, 03:23 PM
I have no clue how RR got the job but other than getting guys to play hard, he was obviously over his head. Can't say I blame him for taking the money though. It will be interesting to see if he does anything at SEMO. It is kind of like watching Ark St in baseball to see if Raffo turns them into a good program.

Personally, I'm more interested in seeing how Wes Flanigan does at UALR. I always thought he had a chance to be a good HC some day if he got the right opportunity.

PassInterference
04-11-2016, 03:27 PM
I'm more interested in seeing how Howland does in year 2 and year 3.

DownwardDawg
04-11-2016, 03:41 PM
I'm more interested in seeing how Howland does in year 2 and year 3.

This is all I'm interested in.

MSUDawg99
04-11-2016, 03:53 PM

I don't think they had a good year this year.

17thebears
04-11-2016, 04:05 PM
All that when you could've just typed: "Hey, everyone, I went to The Masters."

C222
04-11-2016, 04:06 PM
Scott got turned down by so many coaches before landing on RR. Rob Jeter turned him down if that gives you an idea of how many coaches Scott talked to.

Tbonewannabe
04-11-2016, 04:07 PM
I don't think they had a good year this year.

I don't think they even won 10 games. Seems like he kicked several people off the team and had some quit. I would have taken another year of Rick Ray as long as we got Howland. We have the best group of coaches on our campus right now than we ever had. Howland is about to put us on the map.

Dawg61
04-11-2016, 04:22 PM
Scott got turned down by so many coaches before landing on RR. Rob Jeter turned him down if that gives you an idea of how many coaches Scott talked to.

Dooley wanted the job.
Payne wanted the job.
Sean Woods wanted the job.
Kermit wanted the job.
Phil Cunningham wanted the job.
Richard Williams wanted the job.

Let's stop acting like the application at the bottom of the pile was the only one that wanted the job. I think SS knew we'd suck no matter what so let's hire a coach we can pay only $1 mill a year and then really get a good one 3-4 years down the road. It worked out perfectly. The Rick Ray hire wasn't completely void of value. It was a necessary one so that we can be better off 4-5 years later. We are preseason ranked so I'd say the idea is working.

Tbonewannabe
04-11-2016, 04:27 PM
Dooley wanted the job.
Payne wanted the job.
Kermit wanted the job.

Let's stop acting like the application at the bottom of the pile was the only one that wanted the job. I think SS knew we'd suck no matter what so let's hire a coach we can pay only $1 mill a year and then really get a good one 3-4 years down the road. It worked out perfectly. The Rick Ray hire wasn't completely void of value. It was a necessary one so that we can be better off 4-5 years later. We are preseason ranked so I'd say the idea is working.

From most accounts, Scott didn't go out and get Howland. I think Scott does a great job but Howland seemed to just fall in his lap. Every sport seems to be on the upswing so Scott is doing a lot right.

Dawg61
04-11-2016, 04:37 PM
From most accounts, Scott didn't go out and get Howland. I think Scott does a great job but Howland seemed to just fall in his lap. Every sport seems to be on the upswing so Scott is doing a lot right.

Scott didn't get us Howland I know but his idea to ensure we suck ass made the Howland hire possible.

mic
04-11-2016, 04:45 PM
All that when you could've just typed: "Hey, everyone, I went to The Masters."

Glad u wasted ur time reading the whole thing..

Next time u should just read more and post less..

FISHDAWG
04-11-2016, 04:45 PM
so Mic brings an inside story to a MSU sports message board and you guys rag him about it ...... I think about half of yall are on the wrong web page

RocketDawg
04-11-2016, 05:02 PM
Thought some on here would like to hear this.... Good stuff..

Was on a little golf trip this weekend.. And btw way if going to the Masters is on anyone's bucket list try and check that off if anyway possible.. It's even better than you think...

Played golf with a coach currently coaching at a D1 school in college basketball.
He had coached with Rick Ray in the past..
We got to talking about him, current coaching moves and openings , Ect....
Here is what this coach told me happened around the time we hired RR..

They were together the Thursday before the final four in NoLa that year.. He said RR told him to keep everything kind of hush hush that he was really close to and pretty much thought he was going to offered the Eastern ILL job very soon. (Like within the next few days) And he (RR) was probably going to get a staff together and this guy was a possible choice for him... He said he would have probably gone with him ..

He said that weekend that Rick Ray called him and said You arent going to ****ing believe this...
I just got offered the Mississippi state job.. This guy said he didn't even have a clue Miss State was even interested few days previous .. This coach said what did they offer .. RR said 4 years 4million .. He asked him are you going to take it.. RR said ****ing right I'm taking its 4 million dollars.. This coach said His offer from East ILL was going to be about 1/3 of that..

Still amazes me that's how that went down... With a search committe and our current AD we offer a guy the head job at MSU who 3 days earlier was basically on his way to Eastern ILL...

Shit if Scott had been the AD after LT it would have probably been Hud - football .. Raffo- baseball .. And the full 4 years of RR...
I may never bitch about Mullen or Cohen again....

Thank God for GB and the short time he spent here.....

I'm afraid you're right, at the time. But I think he's learned his lesson. He's had a couple great hires recently in Howland and Schaefer. Overall, Stricklin has been a very good AD ... much better than Larry Templeton ever though about doing.

shannondawg
04-11-2016, 05:02 PM
Whats sad is that a coach is not paid what he is worth, but has to be a certain amount to be perceived as a viable choice.

Bully13
04-11-2016, 05:04 PM
so Mic brings an inside story to a MSU sports message board and you guys rag him about it ...... I think about half of yall are on the wrong web page

Yep. ..I enjoyed the story. Makes sense too. 17thebears having a bad day

C222
04-11-2016, 06:05 PM
Dooley wanted the job.
Payne wanted the job.
Kermit wanted the job.

We would've been in the same boat with all of them except maybe Dooley.

C222
04-11-2016, 06:07 PM
Scott didn't get us Howland I know but his idea to ensure we suck ass made the Howland hire possible.

Scott had to work to get Howland. He got some help from a certain individual. Howland said no thanks at first.

I seen it dawg
04-11-2016, 06:25 PM

No ****ing shit here.

Dawg61
04-11-2016, 06:28 PM
Scott had to work to get Howland. He got some help from a certain individual. Howland said no thanks at first.

Mr. Adidas?

Coach34
04-11-2016, 06:36 PM

Thats just not true- it was a situation he was literally asked not to **** up. And thankfully- he didnt