PDA

View Full Version : Bullpen is the key

oildawg
04-11-2016, 01:34 PM
During our great CWS run in 2013, one of the keys to our success was having a Girodo and Mitchell to bring out of the bullpen to use when the situation dictated. They pitched great in that role, and Cohen did a great job of deciding when to use them....

After this weekend, in Gainesville, it looks like not only do we have a couple of solid starters, but we have some really great options to use out of the bullpen. I know the season is early, but I think this could be very important come tournament time... Having solid relievers to use during tight situations.

Taog Redloh
04-11-2016, 03:05 PM
Many things can be the 'key'.

UCLA had 2 great starters and a shut-down closer, and they beat us.

bulldogcountry1
04-11-2016, 03:19 PM
The pieces are starting to fall into place. The good news is that we haven't had to lean on anyone out of the pen too heavily, so everyone should still be fresh for the second half. There's still plenty of time for others to emerge and show what they can do.

Harrydawg
04-11-2016, 03:33 PM
Speaking of bullpens, Noah Hughes is out for the season. Haven't seen this mentioned
Elbow

Tbonewannabe
04-11-2016, 04:15 PM
The first time in a while we actually have a legitimate Friday night Ace. It is amazing how Cohen and Butch cobbled together that pitching staff to get us to the title game. We are definitely put together closer to a traditional baseball team this year.

Tbonewannabe
04-11-2016, 04:16 PM
Speaking of bullpens, Noah Hughes is out for the season. Haven't seen this mentioned
Elbow

That sucks. He had good stuff when he was on.

Todd4State
04-11-2016, 06:54 PM
The first time in a while we actually have a legitimate Friday night Ace. It is amazing how Cohen and Butch cobbled together that pitching staff to get us to the title game. We are definitely put together closer to a traditional baseball team this year.

In 2013, we had Graveman and then we cobbled together a staff as you said- it's a shame Lindgren's light didn't go on until the next year.

That is what is different about our team right now- Hudson and Sexton are legit one's and two's. And as Goat said you can conceivably win in Omaha with that plus what we have in Humphreys. The last time LSU won they had little more than four reliable pitchers.

I'm still optimistic about our bullpen- just a week ago Houston was a huge question mark and Billingsley was pretty much an afterthought. And at one point Rigby wasn't considered to be very reliable either. And Girodo really didn't explode until about this time of the year in 2013. If a couple of guys emerge or even get right- all of a sudden our bullpen is pretty deep.

Todd4State
04-11-2016, 06:55 PM
Elbow

I hate to hear that. He has a lot of talent. I figured as much when I heard about him grabbing his elbow against UT-Martin but I wasn't able to confirm anything one way or the other.

Harrydawg
04-11-2016, 07:31 PM
Yep, I had a Prep buddy tell me Friday night that he had a rupture (UCL) on a throw over to first (pick off).

Hate it but they'll do TJ ASAP and hopefully he'll come back better than ever!

Taog Redloh
04-11-2016, 09:30 PM
And as Goat said you can conceivably win in Omaha with that plus what we have in Humphreys.

You mean Rigby.

Todd4State
04-11-2016, 11:50 PM
You mean Rigby.

No- Humphreys is a more traditional closer like Matty Ott was for LSU- which is the team I was comparing us to. Rigby is a long reliever.

LSU didn't really have anyone like Rigby in their bullpen on the team I am making a comparison to.

Taog Redloh
04-12-2016, 09:24 AM
No- Humphreys is a more traditional closer like Matty Ott was for LSU- which is the team I was comparing us to. Rigby is a long reliever.

LSU didn't really have anyone like Rigby in their bullpen on the team I am making a comparison to.
Umm OK. I see no correlation but sure, LSU.

You have yet to realize that Rigby is just a bad ass pitcher period. This was his first "long-relief" stint of the year. He can also start as he showed in JUCO last year.

You'll go down denying this. I realize that. But facts are, Rigby is our #1 reliever, no matter the situation.

shoeless joe
04-12-2016, 09:29 AM
Umm OK. I see no correlation but sure, LSU.

You have yet to realize that Rigby is just a bad ass pitcher period. This was his first "long-relief" stint of the year. He can also start as he showed in JUCO last year.

You'll go down denying this. I realize that. But facts are, Rigby is our #1 reliever, no matter the situation.

#1 reliever and closer are not the same thing.

Taog Redloh
04-12-2016, 09:30 AM
#1 reliever and closer are not the same thing.

He's all the above, for the 3rd time. The guy throws 90 mph from the side. Ask Cohen/Johnson who they are going to FIRST if we're up 2-1 and pull a pitcher in the 8th or 9th inning.

Tbonewannabe
04-12-2016, 09:44 AM
In 2013, we had Graveman and then we cobbled together a staff as you said- it's a shame Lindgren's light didn't go on until the next year.

That is what is different about our team right now- Hudson and Sexton are legit one's and two's. And as Goat said you can conceivably win in Omaha with that plus what we have in Humphreys. The last time LSU won they had little more than four reliable pitchers.

I'm still optimistic about our bullpen- just a week ago Houston was a huge question mark and Billingsley was pretty much an afterthought. And at one point Rigby wasn't considered to be very reliable either. And Girodo really didn't explode until about this time of the year in 2013. If a couple of guys emerge or even get right- all of a sudden our bullpen is pretty deep.

Graveman was good but he would probably be our Sunday guy on this team. We haven't had a Friday dominant guy since Stratton. Graveman was more of an inning eater than a shutdown guy.