PDA

View Full Version : When Robson gets back, bat Mangum 3rd.

cheewgumm
04-11-2016, 09:49 AM
Any reason not to?

War Machine Dawg
04-11-2016, 10:00 AM
I'd bat him 2 or 8/9. He doesn't have the pop you want from the 3 hole and you take away one of his best assets hitting 3 - his speed. Putting him 2 provides protection for Robbie and lets him run. Also gives you a very viable hit-and-run guy when Robbie is on base since Mangum doesn't strike out much. If you hit him 8/9, it gives you an extra leadoff hitter at the bottom of the lineup to help turn over the order. It makes our lineup deeper and keeps teams from having two easy outs at the bottom the lineup, especially late in games.

I seen it dawg
04-11-2016, 10:00 AM
Leave Mangum at leadoff. He's a nightmare and a switch hitter. He's a better hitter than Robson. Sets the tone for our offense. Put Robson in the 2 hole. He can bunt for a hit, pull the ball thru the hole, and on sac bunts gonna be hard to throw out which puts double the pressure on the defense increasing errors. Also hell to double up. Please Cohen do this.

Or hit him 9th.

maroonmania
04-11-2016, 10:12 AM
Yea, I would assume Mangum would move back to the 2 hole and Marrero (or Kruger or whoever) would move back down the order a bit. As long as Mangum keeps up the red hot bat you have to put him early in the order to give him as many ABs as you can. Plus the back-to-back speed of Robson and Mangum is something most teams don't have.

maroonmania
04-11-2016, 10:14 AM
Leave Mangum at leadoff. He's a nightmare and a switch hitter. He's a better hitter than Robson. Sets the tone for our offense. Put Robson in the 2 hole. He can bunt for a hit, pull the ball thru the hole, and on sac bunts gonna be hard to throw out which puts double the pressure on the defense increasing errors. Also hell to double up. Please Cohen do this.

Or hit him 9th.

I think having those 2 guys back to back is definitely what you want. With Robson's bunting ability, putting him in the 2 hole is certainly something to think about.

I seen it dawg
04-11-2016, 10:23 AM
Robson in the 2 with Mangum on base is an absolute nightmare for defenses. The entire infield is completely out of position on every pitch. Opens up routine ground balls turning into hits and 1st and 3rd with no outs. Cohen should have a boner to get Robson back and do this.

CadaverDawg
04-11-2016, 10:24 AM
I wish we could do this, and sit Collins. But I'm not sure about Hump at 3B.

Mangum RF
Robson CF
Hump 3B
Lowe 1B
Rooker DH
Marrero C
Gridley SS
Cody Brown LF
Stovall 2B

Thoughts? Just a quick attempt. Lots of Left/right alternations for consistency. Someone can probably do better, but that's a "no holes" lineup imo. Hump at 3B might make it impossible though...but Collins' bat sucks right now

War Machine Dawg
04-11-2016, 10:28 AM
I wish we could do this, and sit Collins. But I'm not sure about Hump at 3B.

Mangum RF
Robson CF
Hump 3B
Lowe 1B
Rooker DH
Marrero C
Gridley SS
Cody Brown LF
Stovall 2B

Thoughts? Just a quick attempt. Lots of Left/right alternations for consistency. Someone can probably do better, but that's a "no holes" lineup imo. Hump at 3B might make it impossible though...but Collins' bat sucks right now

I'm all for it. Hump at 3B isn't any worse defensively than Collins, but he at least hits the damn ball.

JohnnyQuid
04-11-2016, 10:29 AM

Or hit him 9th.

I like this. I also like

9. Mangum
1. robson
2. marerro

any of that I'd be good with.

CadaverDawg
04-11-2016, 10:29 AM
I'm all for it. Hump at 3B isn't any worse defensively than Collins, but he at least hits the damn ball.

That's what I was thinking. Love Cody at the bottom too. Would be a good table setter for the top of the lineup

CadaverDawg
04-11-2016, 10:30 AM
I like this. I also like

9. Mangum
1. robson
2. marerro

Yea, outside of taking away a few at bats per game from Mangum, that's a great idea. I like it

I seen it dawg
04-11-2016, 10:33 AM
It's kind of one of those things that we are gonna have to have Collins hit to get deep in post season. And to get him to hit we have to keep running him out there. A catch-22 unfortunately. Luckily the 2 freshman are acting all sec at the plate and helping to mask it.

I still believe he will hit. And when he does holy shit. Lowe is a stud and Hump has done what I was saying he had to do. Make some adjustments and change his book. He still is gonna get beat but not near as much as he was a month ago. Kudos to him. His power potential is nice to have if he just hits decent against RH without those shitty 3 pitch K ABs. The 2 rabbits at the top and then Lowe, Hum and Collins is damn hard to deal with. Then you got grinders in Grid, Marrero and Cody when he can get in the lineup. And if Kruger will start swinging it again we've got 10 guys that need to be in the lineup.

CadaverDawg
04-11-2016, 10:35 AM
It's kind of one of those things that we are gonna have to have Collins hit to get deep in post season. And to get him to hit we have to keep running him out there. A catch-22 unfortunately. Luckily the 2 freshman are acting all sec at the plate and helping to mask it.

I still believe he will hit. And when he does holy shit. Lowe is a stud and Hump has done what I was saying he had to do. Make some adjustments and change his book. He still is gonna get beat but not near as much as he was a month ago. Kudos to him. His power potential is nice to have if he just hits decent against RH without those shitty 3 pitch K ABs. The 2 rabbits at the top and then Lowe, Hum and Collins is damn hard to deal with. Then you got grinders in Grid, Marrero and Cody when he can get in the lineup. And if Kruger will start swinging it again we've got 10 guys that need to be in the lineup.

I agree. Collins starts hitting, our opponents are screwed

I seen it dawg
04-11-2016, 10:35 AM
I like this. I also like

9. Mangum
1. robson
2. marerro

Those 3 in a row is good. I'm just totally sold on Mangum as lead off. His plate discipline, aggression, swagger just sets the tone for our offense better than anyone we've had in a long time. And he switch hits. Just a nightmare to deal with at leadoff.

I seen it dawg
04-11-2016, 10:37 AM
I agree. Collins starts hitting, our opponents are screwed

And I know it drives you nuts but his defense is actually getting a lot better. The way he carries himself and moves his feet I know he is working his ass off on his defense. Light years ahead of where he was 6 weeks ago. He won't make all the plays but he will make enough and keep getting better.

And I promise you the defense has been part of his offensive struggles.

CadaverDawg
04-11-2016, 10:39 AM
And I know it drives you nuts but his defense is actually getting a lot better. The way he carries himself and moves his feet I know he is working his ass off on his defense. Light years ahead of where he was 6 weeks ago. He won't make all the plays but he will make enough and keep getting better.

Yea I can agree with that. I don't mind an error here and there if he's hitting. And for God's sake just make the routine plays and it's all good.

Jarius
04-11-2016, 10:45 AM
We need Mangum to get as many at bats as possible. That dude is raking the ball and quickly became my favorite player on the team. He just has it. I wouldn't put him any lower than 3rd. He doesn't have a ton of pop so the 3 hole isn't ideal, but 1st or second is where he can have maximum impact IMO.

missouridawg
04-11-2016, 11:03 AM
Put your best bat 2nd is a growing sentiment amongst the stats nerds. I'd like to see Robson/Mangum bat 1-2.

missouridawg
04-11-2016, 11:05 AM
That's what I was thinking. Love Cody at the bottom too. Would be a good table setter for the top of the lineup

Cody had a nice slam this weekend, but was 0-8 in his other at-bats. He is hitting .200 in SEC play. Can we please pump the brakes on him some?

State82
04-11-2016, 11:11 AM

Or hit him 9th.

Definitely like this setup. It pressures a defense for sure.

CadaverDawg
04-11-2016, 11:13 AM
Cody had a nice slam this weekend, but was 0-8 in his other at-bats. He is hitting .200 in SEC play. Can we please pump the brakes on him some?

Pump the brakes? I have him at 8th, ha. He isn't great, but he's a scrapper and pretty clutch. A contributor, and many like the way he plays bc he leaves it all out there and plays with emotion. I don't think anybody is saying he's our best hitter or anything though.

cheewgumm
04-11-2016, 11:14 AM
Those 3 in a row is good. I'm just totally sold on Mangum as lead off. His plate discipline, aggression, swagger just sets the tone for our offense better than anyone we've had in a long time. And he switch hits. Just a nightmare to deal with at leadoff.

Ok, I'm sold on this. I would go Mangum 1st, Robson 2.

I wouldn't bat him 9th, just because, as someone mentioned, I'd want him to hit as much as possible. I'm, on the "Mangum leadoff" wagon.

msstate7
04-11-2016, 11:18 AM
I really like the idea of mangum 1 and Robson 2, but I want Lowe 3rd. The problem with this is late in games Robson and Lowe would see a lhp, so mangum as a switch would probably be better at 2 to break up the lefties. I do think mangum spraying the ball hard on the ground though could lead to double plays though... Cohen has done a good job with lineups though and he makes the big bucks, so I'll let him figure it out

preachermatt83
04-11-2016, 01:25 PM

Or hit him 9th.

This all day!!!

dawggone
04-11-2016, 02:12 PM
Pump the brakes? I have him at 8th, ha. He isn't great, but he's a scrapper and pretty clutch. A contributor, and many like the way he plays bc he leaves it all out there and plays with emotion. I don't think anybody is saying he's our best hitter or anything though.

Plus he is a premium defender, to be fair he only has 20 AB'S in SEC play, pretty small sample size, plus he did hit over .300 last year. I've always felt on base percentage was a better indicator of a players offensive abilities, we have quite a few at this point over .400 in this area including Brown. To me that's the number to watch on all players. Anyway you slice it though, this team has a lot of depth, who would have thought Kruger would be out of the lineup after his torrid start. Sooner or later someone will get hot and someone will slump, nice knowing we have deep bench to pick up the slack during those times. This is a truly well built team. Speed, power, pitching and attitude, really like where this is headed.

mic
04-11-2016, 02:36 PM

Or hit him 9th.

Absolutely

maroonmania
04-11-2016, 02:45 PM
I really like the idea of mangum 1 and Robson 2, but I want Lowe 3rd. The problem with this is late in games Robson and Lowe would see a lhp, so mangum as a switch would probably be better at 2 to break up the lefties. I do think mangum spraying the ball hard on the ground though could lead to double plays though... Cohen has done a good job with lineups though and he makes the big bucks, so I'll let him figure it out

Well I think I know Cohen well enough to say that no matter what we think, when Robson comes back he will go right back to the leadoff spot and Mangum will likely slide to the 2 hole. That is pretty much the way it had settled in before the injury and I would be surprised if anything gets changed after Robson gets back.

Tbonewannabe
04-11-2016, 02:56 PM

I wouldn't mind him and Rooker platooning until Robson gets back. When Rooker is in the outfield get Kruger some ABs.