PDA

View Full Version : OT: I need to drop 12 pounds

biscuit
04-11-2016, 08:33 AM
I've never had a weight problem or any health issues. At my check up Friday the doc told me to drop the weight. I've never had to lose weight. Need some advice.

starkvegasdawg
04-11-2016, 08:35 AM
Raw sausage always worked for me.**

Count Istvan Teleky
04-11-2016, 08:37 AM
I've never had a weight problem or any health issues. At my check up Friday the doc told me to drop the weight. I've never had to lose weight. Need some advice.

If you can stand the discipline of WHAT you eat, you can eat as much as you want of the things they allow.

In the case of the wife and me, we started it January 1 and did it for 30 days. The main things we did were cut out a) grains, b) dairy, and c) sugars (includes alcohol.) She dropped twenty and i knocked off about 10. We ate all we wanted of protiens, starches (potatoes, sweet potatoes) and vegetables.

There's a book by the same title and it goes into detail.

mcain31
04-11-2016, 08:43 AM
Increase your daily water intake first. That will help your body stay hydrated and help raise your metabolism

civildawg
04-11-2016, 08:43 AM
This is going to sound like a smart ass response but it really isnt. Burn more calories than you take in. To take in less calories and to be full, you will need to incorporate more fruits and vegetables in your diet as well as lean proteins. Kick the beef meat out for the most part.

Political Hack
04-11-2016, 08:47 AM
Eat meat, fruits, veggies, and nuts. That's it. You'll crash at first because of the lack of carbs but then you'll rebound and feel better. Weight will peel off of you like butter melting once you start rebounding and feel your energy pick back up.

Either that or go do an hour of cardio every day.

Eric Nies Grind Time
04-11-2016, 08:48 AM

Just drink water and black coffee for a couple of months. Cutting out all of those calories you drink should help a lot.

ckDOG
04-11-2016, 08:49 AM
Not knowing anything about you, I'd say a reasonable first step to see what happens is cut out the fast food and sodas (replace with water) and walk / run (if you can) 3 to 4 times a week (go 30 minutes or 3 miles - whichever comes first).

You should see some decent results, be able to re-evaluate after a few months of that, and go from there....

MaxedOutMaroon
04-11-2016, 08:49 AM
Working out is very helpful, but they say it's all about eating right than burning calories. Limit (or eliminate) sugar, limit sodium, and finally cut out any drink that's not water or coffee. MyNetDiary app can give you a plan according to your current standing and goal, I recommend it. Little working out, you'll drop 12 in 6 weeks or less (depending on current weight).

Thompson92
04-11-2016, 08:50 AM
Eat more of: Fiber, lean protein, water, leafy greens, sweet potatoes
Eat less of: red meat, alcohol, white flour/sugar/potatoes, empty calories

That's just what has helped me. Also, it never hurts to get about 30 minutes of exercise every day, even if it's just walking. Good luck!

Hunkaburningdawg
04-11-2016, 08:50 AM
Low carb is the way to go. It takes a little discipline, but once you start seeing results, it gets easier. Plus, you can still drink with this diet, but not beer. My personal favorite is Crown and diet coke, but I digress.

What to eat: meat, eggs, cheese, nuts, veggies, or anything made of protein.
What not to eat: rice, pasta, sweets, bread, potatoes, most fruit.

If you eat any carbs, make it in the morning. Oatmeal is a good choice. Plus, you need to have a cheat meal about once a week. Good luck!

Coach34
04-11-2016, 08:52 AM
Eat meat, fruits, veggies, and nuts. That's it. You'll crash at first because of the lack of carbs but then you'll rebound and feel better. Weight will peel off of you like butter melting once you start rebounding and feel your energy pick back up.

Either that or go do an hour of cardio every day.

This is me right now. No bread, pasta, etc. Meat, salad, and some fruits

Dawgface
04-11-2016, 09:00 AM
Sweets during the winter is the down fall of me......beer too. Of course beer is a year round problem. But when I eliminate the sweets, I can usually lose what I need. I'm about 5-8 lb over right now.

tireddawg
04-11-2016, 09:01 AM
Cut out glutein, it blows up your gut. I did & lost my gut in about 2 months. It's been a year, I'm over 40, & have a six pack. I do 25-50 crunches a day.

SignalToNoise
04-11-2016, 09:02 AM
Ignore fad diets that limit you only eating certain foods and abstaining from others. Telling yourself you can't have cake only causes you to want cake.

I suggest learning the basics of nutrition, calorie counting, and macro nutrients. Some people call it "If it fits your macros" (IIFYM), some call it flexible dieting.

The best resource? The bodybuilding.com nutrition forums. No joke. Link. (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13) In particular, the stickied threads that teach calorie counting and other newbie nutrition tips: Link (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380183)

The overall concept is simple: calculate total daily calorie intake required to maintain weight. To lose weight you should eat less than that number; to gain you should eat more. Please keep in mind this number is a starting point and there are many individual factors that may cause it to be different than what you calculated and as such it may take you a trial period of a week or two to find your exact total daily energy expenditure (TDEE).

Recap:
Calculate required daily calories and macronutrients (Protein, Fat, Carbs) based on that.
Hit those macros every day.
Get daily exercise. Doesn't have to be some insane Shaun T. fitness program. Go for a jog, hit the weight room, play basketball with some friends, whatever. Keep in mind the goal is not to be tired and sore and feel like your killing yourself. The goal is to burn fat.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
04-11-2016, 09:08 AM
The MyFitnessPal or other meal tracking apps are a great way to track what you're eating and the nutritional values of the food. It also links to your step counters or other fitness apps to show the impact of your exercise on your diet.

reno hightower
04-11-2016, 09:10 AM
Paleo or wild lifestyle has worked great for me. Same as to what 34 and wmd are saying. Good luck!
43 years old

Coach34
04-11-2016, 09:15 AM
Paleo or wild lifestyle has worked great for me. Same as to what 34 and wmd are saying. Good luck!
43 years old

I'm a couple weeks in and I so badly want a plate of Shrimp alfredo on linguini, side orders of au gratin potatoes, mash potatoes-gravy, and fries, with pepsi and a hot buttered yeast roll. It's hard cutting bread, pasta, potatoes, and soft drinks out. But once you and stay with it- the weight will melt off. Keep hammering the cold water

Dawghouse
04-11-2016, 09:17 AM
Don't change anything to start with. Get a food tracker like my fitness pal and track your food for two weeks. You'll figure out the rest once you start seeing where your wasted calories are.

I found that when I invested 30 minutes of working out 3-5 times a week I eventually got pissed at the food for ruining my workout and quit eating the crap.

Usually the biggest culprits are
Calories in drinks
Fast food
Junk food
Alcohol

Again you'll figure it out.

Taog Redloh
04-11-2016, 09:35 AM
I'm a couple weeks in and I so badly want a plate of Shrimp alfredo on linguini, side orders of au gratin potatoes, mash potatoes-gravy, and fries, with pepsi and a hot buttered yeast roll. It's hard cutting bread, pasta, potatoes, and soft drinks out. But once you and stay with it- the weight will melt off. Keep hammering the cold water
Yes, it will. And, it will most likely come back. Unless you adopt a lifestyle change, which is what diets won't give you.

missouridawg
04-11-2016, 09:35 AM
21 day fix... Do exactly what the diet plan says. I dropped 11 in 3 weeks and didn't exercise one bit. Google it.

Taog Redloh
04-11-2016, 09:36 AM
Yeah, well, we know nothing about you. Height, weight, age, body type?

RC3
04-11-2016, 09:38 AM
it sounds so simple but its hard to do.
1. Cut sugar out of your diet. no sodas, sweet tea, sweets, etc (this alone will make some pounds peel off)
2. Increase water intake
3. Watch what you eat...no fastfood. all homecooked, or salads if you are out. substitute olive oil for butter in everything you cook
4. 20-30 mins of cardio a day

whosyourdawgy
04-11-2016, 09:40 AM
If you drink soft drinks with sugar like Coke Classic, just changing that to a Coke Zero for example should drop a few lbs believe it or not.

Jacksondevildog
04-11-2016, 09:42 AM
I use the LoseIt app. I'm 6-5 and was 237lbs on New Year's Day. I weigh 206 now. I monitor my calorie intake and eliminated sugar. I don't drink soft drinks and I don't eat candy/ice cream. I also eliminated bread.

Op4isabitch
04-11-2016, 09:50 AM
Just use common sense and eat clean! Moderation is the key, reduce portion size of your 3 key meals and have a small handful of nuts or an apple etc to carry you through to the next meal. Don't skip any of your 3 key meals.

There are millions of ways to loose weight but the key is to find a way to stay lean and make the change stick. In my opinion radical diet changes or workouts that you can't do consistently won't work.

I jump rope every day. Just 1000 singles or 350 double unders. Only takes 15 mins to do 1000 singles. In addition I do a workout similar to p90x for an hour three times a week.

Super easy and enjoyable.

biscuit
04-11-2016, 10:04 AM
I don't drink sodas or eat much sugar. I do drink some, but not a lot. I work out 5 days a week.

MetEdDawg
04-11-2016, 10:04 AM
The MyFitnessPal or other meal tracking apps are a great way to track what you're eating and the nutritional values of the food. It also links to your step counters or other fitness apps to show the impact of your exercise on your diet.

This is what I use. It takes discipline to enter in everything every day, but the cool thing is you can scan a bar code and it enters in the nutritional information automatically. I'm a numbers guy so seeing what calories I'm allowed per day, plus all the cholesterol, sodium, sugar, etc numbers that I put in helps me a ton.

If you are a soda or alcohol drinker, cut those out instantly. Replace them with water. If you are a candy or sweets person, cut way back. If you are a carbs person, cut your normal carb portion in half. I eat sandwiches on one piece of bread now instead of two and calories and carbs wise it makes a huge difference.

Coach34
04-11-2016, 10:09 AM
Yes, it will. And, it will most likely come back. Unless you adopt a lifestyle change, which is what diets won't give you.

true- but I'm never giving up all that shit for good. So it is what it is

shoeless joe
04-11-2016, 10:17 AM
If you are disciplined the dukan diet will work. Zero exercise needed. Dramatic losses first couple months but it takes a certain mindset and strong will.

DancingRabbit
04-11-2016, 10:23 AM
Like a lot of others have said, cutting back on carbs is important.

But a simple maxim is portion control. I love to cook and love food, so I have to work at it. Drink a glass of water before a meal. Take smaller portions and eat more slowly.

Cut out bad snacks. I try to eat carrots or celery for a snack. Another key is healthy eating starts at the grocery store.

Martianlander
04-11-2016, 10:47 AM
Exercise is important. I have been working out 4 or 5 times a week for a couple of years now, but the weight didn't really start coming off till I limited my calories. What worked for my wife and me was limit your calories Monday through Thursday, and eat what you want to Friday through Sunday. I started out on the Monday through Thursday at about 1500 calories per day. There is a site caloriecount.com that can help you. Put in a food and it will give you the calories. I have gradually cut back to around 300 calories per day. Losing a pound or two a week (and yes there has been a few weeks that I have had setbacks), since a year ago February I have lost 61 pounds. Started at 250 and weigh 189 now.

msstate7
04-11-2016, 11:05 AM
If all else fails, buy a 1/4 ounce of meth. Do it daily for a month. You'll lose more than 12 lbs. Warning... You might lose wife, house, and everything else in the process

RC3
04-11-2016, 11:09 AM
If all else fails, buy a 1/4 ounce of meth. Do it daily for a month. You'll lose more than 12 lbs. Warning... You might lose wife, house, and everything else in the process

including your teeth and healthy skin complexion

reno hightower
04-11-2016, 11:49 AM

and not OOB lifestyle---sigh-- Paleo is and will have to be a lifestyle. Once you give up carbs--like 50 grams or below a day, you will crash for a few days. Its called the carb flu and you will feel like shit. Just pound water and get through it. Once you do, you will feel pretty damn good. the kicker is once you fall off the wagon, you have to go through the carb flu again. Check out marksdailyapple Once you settle in and figure out what your body can and cant handle, your cheat days will not beat you up as bad and the weight will stay off.
43 years old
6' 3'
185lbs down from a flabby 210
started 5 years ago

lastmajordog
04-11-2016, 12:00 PM
Stop bread / potatoes / soft drinks and limit bourbon. First time in my life I lost significant weight and have always been physically active. Took some time but once it started it peeled off.

M.Fillmore
04-11-2016, 12:35 PM
Feedback request:
I am 6'0" and 181 lbs. I'd like to lose a few simply to allow myself some of my wife's choc/chip cookies a couple times a week (they are made from scratch and they are fabulous).

I eat healthy with lots of veggies, leafy greens, and fruit. Meat is 1x day, usually chicken, beef 1x-2x week. I eat nothing fried. My vice is air blown popcorn and I eat it nightly. I've started eating a handful of nuts mid morning to kill the midday appetite. I eat a lot at night and lunch about 4x per week. Never eat breakfast.

Exercise is 30 min/ 3x week.

Is this an okay track to follow?

Political Hack
04-11-2016, 12:45 PM
This is me right now. No bread, pasta, etc. Meat, salad, and some fruits

I dropped about 40 lbs doing it. I didn't even realize how big I had gotten.

Political Hack
04-11-2016, 12:49 PM
and not OOB lifestyle---sigh-- Paleo is and will have to be a lifestyle. Once you give up carbs--like 50 grams or below a day, you will crash for a few days. Its called the carb flu and you will feel like shit. Just pound water and get through it. Once you do, you will feel pretty damn good. the kicker is once you fall off the wagon, you have to go through the carb flu again. Check out marksdailyapple Once you settle in and figure out what your body can and cant handle, your cheat days will not beat you up as bad and the weight will stay off.
43 years old
6' 3'
185lbs down from a flabby 210
started 5 years ago

It is a lifestyle. Been doing in for 2.5 years now. I cheat on vacation and holidays. Sometimes I'll allow myself one "shock day" a week to eat whatever I feel like. I honestly believe it helps to fuel your body with something different from time to time, and something bad for you. It teaches you how shitty you physically feel after eating poorly and helps your metabolism remain effective (that's just my opinion... I also think fake sweeteners hurt your metabolic rate).

BoomBoom
04-11-2016, 01:30 PM
Most of the solutions on here are a great way to drop some weight....until a year from now when you weigh more than before.

Ignore your weight, and focus on what you can change. Cut out the things you can stand to lose.

Cravings are a hell of a thing. If you try to make your body do something it doesnt want to do, it will amp up the pressure until you break. And everyone breaks. And the more you starve yourself for short term weight loss, the more your body wants to carry extra weight.

Anyway, the point is to cut out the worst things in your diet, little by little. Focus on your life, not your weight. Make changes you don't mind making for life, or you're just making it worse.

RC3
04-11-2016, 01:44 PM
Feedback request:
I am 6'0" and 181 lbs. I'd like to lose a few simply to allow myself some of my wife's choc/chip cookies a couple times a week (they are made from scratch and they are fabulous).

I eat healthy with lots of veggies, leafy greens, and fruit. Meat is 1x day, usually chicken, beef 1x-2x week. I eat nothing fried. My vice is air blown popcorn and I eat it nightly. I've started eating a handful of nuts mid morning to kill the midday appetite. I eat a lot at night and lunch about 4x per week. Never eat breakfast.

i believe in eating for breakfast to lose weight to give your metabolism a jump start in the morning. I used to never eat breakfast...i made the most signifcant weight losses while eating a simple breakfast. I have gotten in the routine of making a kale, fruit and flax smoothie every single day to get going

BulldogDX55
04-11-2016, 01:52 PM
Easiest solution possible: use google to find out your TDEE, and then eat fewer calories than that. Every 2000 or so under that, you'll lose a pound. Do light cardio and add calories burnt to your daily TDEE. I've lost 16lbs in the last 6 weeks (240 to 224 this morning) doing that, and I've eaten fast food 5 of 7 days per week due to my job. Granted, I'm 29 so my metabolism is still somewhat there, but it can work for anyone.

For this quick of results I've also done about an hour of cardio 5 days a week, but that's not as hard as it sounds. Just hop on a treadmill, set it to fat burn, set the heart rate to your optimal fat burn heart rate (another thing you can google based on age and weight) and set a speed you can do for an hour (I do 3.5mph) and just watch something on Netflix or Hulu on your phone.

DancingRabbit
04-11-2016, 02:15 PM
i believe in eating for breakfast to lose weight to give your metabolism a jump start in the morning. I used to never eat breakfast...i made the most signifcant weight losses while eating a simple breakfast. I have gotten in the routine of making a kale, fruit and flax smoothie every single day to get going

I agree you need something for breakfast. My go-to is 1 boiled egg and a banana or apple.

MSUDawg99
04-11-2016, 04:51 PM
Ignore fad diets that limit you only eating certain foods and abstaining from others. Telling yourself you can't have cake only causes you to want cake.

I suggest learning the basics of nutrition, calorie counting, and macro nutrients. Some people call it "If it fits your macros" (IIFYM), some call it flexible dieting.

The best resource? The bodybuilding.com nutrition forums. No joke. Link. (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13) In particular, the stickied threads that teach calorie counting and other newbie nutrition tips: Link (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380183)

The overall concept is simple: calculate total daily calorie intake required to maintain weight. To lose weight you should eat less than that number; to gain you should eat more. Please keep in mind this number is a starting point and there are many individual factors that may cause it to be different than what you calculated and as such it may take you a trial period of a week or two to find your exact total daily energy expenditure (TDEE).

Recap:
Calculate required daily calories and macronutrients (Protein, Fat, Carbs) based on that.
Hit those macros every day.
Get daily exercise. Doesn't have to be some insane Shaun T. fitness program. Go for a jog, hit the weight room, play basketball with some friends, whatever. Keep in mind the goal is not to be tired and sore and feel like your killing yourself. The goal is to burn fat.

Hope this helps and good luck.

THIS! THIS IS ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW! Abs start in the kitchen. It's about 80/20 food to exercise ratio.

MSUDawg99
04-11-2016, 04:54 PM

Agreed. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Gets your metabolism going. And I too, drink a nutribullet smoothie of green apple, berries, kale, spinach & greek yogurt for the probiotic. The green apple helps to mask the task of the kale & spinach. I also take a really good probiotic each day with a glass of hot lemon water. Same concept of pouring hot water down the drain to clean your pipes. Helps clean you out.

BulldogBacker
04-11-2016, 05:06 PM
Back in 2005, I was diagnosed with prostate cancer and told I needed to lose weight. At the time, I weighed 233. In 3 months, the time of my surgery, I dropped to 191. I did it by following my doctor's advise. My Mom, God rest her soul, called it my "No White Diet." I cut out all red meat, all dark meat chicken, and all pork. I was told I could have one white meat chicken breast for dinner or a piece of white meat fish off the grill at night. I ate no white potatoes, no white sugars, nothing made from white flour, including no white bread or white sugar. I started walking 3-4 miles per day, and by the time I had the surgery, I was running 3-5 miles per day. The key is to avoid fats. Eat protein and lots of vegetables. Do not eat starches, but do eat greens and green vegetables. He gave me a cabbage soup recipe that also helped.

Bothrops
04-11-2016, 05:55 PM
Fiber, water, fiber, water. Got to clean out the sludge in the guts.

reno hightower
04-11-2016, 06:06 PM
Back in 2005, I was diagnosed with prostate cancer and told I needed to lose weight. At the time, I weighed 233. In 3 months, the time of my surgery, I dropped to 191. I did it by following my doctor's advise. My Mom, God rest her soul, called it my "No White Diet." I cut out all red meat, all dark meat chicken, and all pork. I was told I could have one white meat chicken breast for dinner or a piece of white meat fish off the grill at night. I ate no white potatoes, no white sugars, nothing made from white flour, including no white bread or white sugar. I started walking 3-4 miles per day, and by the time I had the surgery, I was running 3-5 miles per day. The key is to avoid fats. Eat protein and lots of vegetables. Do not eat starches, but do eat greens and green vegetables. He gave me a cabbage soup recipe that also helped.

Man I'm sorry about your diagnosis and glad you dropped the weight but there is a lot of new science suggesting otherwise. Fats are good for you. That is proven. There are tremendous podcast out there. Robb Wolfe mark Sisson Dave asprey able James to name a few.

Again not knocking you but I just don't buy what the doctors are selling. Listen to Peter glidden or ben fuchs
Big pharma has ruined Healthcare but that is probably a little off topic

lastmajordog
04-11-2016, 06:09 PM
Stop bread / potatoes / soft drinks and limit bourbon. First time in my life I lost significant weight and have always been physically active. Took some time but once it started it peeled off.

I'm 6'4' 235 till i hit 56 yr old. Had run/ played tennis / weight training all my life with no weight loss. Got a SEVERE case of AFIB with other complications and weight went to 250. Just didn't feel like eating as much and lost my taste for bourbon. Quit eating the bread / potatoes / sugar / bourbon / soft drinks. I'm 220-224 now and haven't even started back exercising. I'm a big believer in the cross no carb /gluetin / sugar regiment. I COULD NOT lose weight till this happened. Never was a bread eater but i do miss those late bourbon nights.....sigh.....

99jc
04-11-2016, 08:40 PM
I'm 6'4' 235 till i hit 56 yr old. Had run/ played tennis / weight training all my life with no weight loss. Got a SEVERE case of AFIB with other complications and weight went to 250. Just didn't feel like eating as much and lost my taste for bourbon. Quit eating the bread / potatoes / sugar / bourbon / soft drinks. I'm 220-224 now and haven't even started back exercising. I'm a big believer in the cross no carb /gluetin / sugar regiment. I COULD NOT lose weight till this happened. Never was a bread eater but i do miss those late bourbon nights.....sigh.....

nm

Coach34
04-11-2016, 08:59 PM
He gave me a cabbage soup recipe that also helped.

I'm glad you beat it Backer- but they will bury me before I start eating cabbage soup

greenbean
04-11-2016, 09:28 PM
I'm glad you beat it Backer- but they will bury me before I start eating cabbage soup

A lot of these diets are almost as bad as death. Unless you have health problems, are on the prowl or need to look a certain way for work, live it up! Exercise and eat sensible, but not crazy and save the alcohol for the weekend.

ScoobaDawg
04-12-2016, 02:55 AM
Man I'm sorry about your diagnosis and glad you dropped the weight but there is a lot of new science suggesting otherwise. Fats are good for you. That is proven. There are tremendous podcast out there. Robb Wolfe mark Sisson Dave asprey able James to name a few.

Again not knocking you but I just don't buy what the doctors are selling. Listen to Peter glidden or ben fuchs
Big pharma has ruined Healthcare but that is probably a little off topic

Exactly... Not getting into a long post tonight. But huge difference in fats and how your body handles then. Should you be eating bacon or lard every day no.. But look into using coconut oil in more things. It's very good for you.

Same with sugars. All sugars are not created equally and your liver. Big difference between hfcs and honey or agave syrup.

biscuit
04-12-2016, 08:14 AM
Thanks for the advise. There are some great ideas here.

Mjoelner34
04-12-2016, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the advise. There are some great ideas here.

My advice: Start with changing your username to something like 'kale' or 'protein shake'.**

j/k. Good luck man. I need to do the same and then some.

BiscuitEater
04-12-2016, 08:32 AM
My doctor told me to lose some weight right before Christmas. I started on 1 Jan and reduced carbs. Cut out sugar, bread, white potatoes, & rice. Cut down on alcohol consumption .. less drinks and beer, more red wine. Made sure I had plenty of protein and fiber. Drank more water. Started a 3 time a week workout program .. 30 min of elliptical and 30 min of weight machines and sit ups.

Goal was/is to lose ONE pound a week. Started at 196 and am now at 181 with a goal of 175 by the first week in June. Relatively painless.

Biggest problem is eating out at restaurants. Went to PF Changs the other night and went on line to see what was reasonable and it's not much. Ended up with shrimp and lobster tacos. Some menu items had 108 grams of carbs and many had at least two times the daily recommended sodium.

Good luck with the journey!

MSUDawg99
04-12-2016, 09:19 AM
Feedback request:

Exercise is 30 min/ 3x week.

Eating alot at night & not allowing your body time to process that may have something to do with it. If you ate a lot for breakfast or lunch you'd have time to work it off throughout the day. But portion control has a lot to do with it too.

Other than that, sounds ok. I can relate to the choc chip cookies. That's my vice too. I could never completely quit sugar cause I love choc chip cookies & bday cake too much. But I've found altered recipes. Unfortunately, sugar is the main issue & that leads to sickness & disease. Artificial sweeteners in diet drinks & teas, crystal light are no better for you. Stevia is the only sweetener that's natural that's not bad for you. If you're otherwise healthy, no prob in indulging but portion control & moderation is key, of course...but that goes without saying.

Ok I'm done talking. This has just become one of my main interests. I real a lot on nutrition....a wannabe health/nutrition coach, I guess.

ScoobaDawg
04-12-2016, 11:04 AM
My advice: Start with changing your username to something like 'kale' or 'protein shake'.**

j/k. Good luck man. I need to do the same and then some.

As do I.. I have learned a lot over the past year watching a friend drop over 60lbs by dropping processed foods and sugars from their diet. Having knowledge and acting on it is my biggest problem.

Good luck... the biggest thing is getting started..and being consistent.. and setting yourself up for success. Far too easy to grab upon temptations and vices when trying to change your eating habits.

archdog
04-12-2016, 04:25 PM
The arm weighs about 12 pounds.

Apoplectic
04-12-2016, 04:26 PM
Don't change anything to start with. Get a food tracker like my fitness pal and track your food for two weeks. You'll figure out the rest once you start seeing where your wasted calories are.

I found that when I invested 30 minutes of working out 3-5 times a week I eventually got pissed at the food for ruining my workout and quit eating the crap.

Usually the biggest culprits are
Calories in drinks
Fast food
Junk food
Alcohol

Again you'll figure it out.

This^^^^^ is the only method that works long term. You're first mistake is to say ur going on a diet. Ur not -- ur making a lifestyle change to know what ur eating and balancing calorie intake vs calorie burning. All these other BS fads are gimmicks that are not practical for the long run. Eat what you want when you want in moderation then add exercise and strength training for long term health. Weigh everyday in the morning as soon as u wake and track on fitness pal. If ur not losing weight then ur calorie balance is wrong. Pick a half lb per week loss goal and make sure at the end of the week u have about a 2000 cal deficit (ex for 200 lber). I replaced breakfast with 3 -4 cups coffee and a banana or apple. Gave me about 1800 calls for the rest of the day and long term health benes of coffee. If u can't eat what u want on 1800 cal for lunch/dinner then youve got issues. Stick to the plan and in 3 months you'll be preaching the sermon of the no diet and fad BS and instead a lifestyle change.

preachermatt83
04-12-2016, 05:40 PM
I lost 75 lbs in a yr but I didn't do it in a healthy way. I lost the first 30 in 3 weeks. Just quit eating. That's what lead to my Gallbladder probs. rapid weight loss. Seeing you Dad go thru triple bypass at 58 eighty lbs lighter than you will make you wanna take it off fast. Now I'm maintaining my weight by 1) Drinking NOTHING but water and a lot of it. 2) eat NOTHING fried 3) no desserts.