PDA

View Full Version : "That's baseball" - Ron Polk

somebodyshotmypaw
04-10-2016, 10:48 PM
It's a crazy game. We give up 8 on Friday night with the hottest pitcher in the country on the mound. We were 1 out from a shutout on Sunday while pitching a freshman, a struggling reliever, and an outfielder. That's baseball.

Todd4State
04-10-2016, 10:50 PM
That's good baseball for us.

somebodyshotmypaw
04-10-2016, 10:54 PM
Todd, I was looking at season stats tonight. Look at the strikeouts for Mangum and Marrero. These kids don't strikeout. Very impressive.

dawgoneyall
04-10-2016, 11:01 PM
It's a crazy game. We give up 8 on Friday night with the hottest pitcher in the country on the mound. We were 1 out from a shutout on Sunday while pitching a freshman, a struggling reliever, and an outfielder. That's baseball.

Don't quote Polk...took us 15 years to get rid of that SOB's BS to get back to where we belong.....

preachermatt83
04-10-2016, 11:18 PM
Don't quote Polk...took us 15 years to get rid of that SOB's BS to get back to where we belong.....

What a ridiculous statement. Polk II had personal issues but bulldawg baseball is what it is Bc of Ron polk.

War Machine Dawg
04-10-2016, 11:21 PM
What a ridiculous statement. Polk II had personal issues but bulldawg baseball is what it is Bc of Ron polk.

Horseshit. Polk took it to another level and deserves credit for that. But MSU baseball was damn good long before Polk ever stepped foot in Starkville.

Coach34
04-11-2016, 12:01 AM
Yeah people realize that. We won SEC titles long before Polk got here. Polk's biggest contribution was that baseball could be a money maker. Nobody thought that was possible before him

preachermatt83
04-11-2016, 12:04 AM
Horseshit. Polk took it to another level and deserves credit for that. But MSU baseball was damn good long before Polk ever stepped foot in Starkville.

lol, you just said out of your own mouth he took it to another level. That's exactly what I'm saying. He took it to the level that it is today.

Todd4State
04-11-2016, 12:14 AM
lol, you just said out of your own mouth he took it to another level. That's exactly what I'm saying. He took it to the level that it is today.

Yes but what I think he is saying is we would still be a great program even without him. Paul Gregory won several SEC championships for us and was the first coach to take us to Omaha. Before Gregory, R P Patty won some SEC Championships in the 40's. And before that was Dudy Noble. Really the only completely unsuccessful coach we had since the 1920's was Jimmy Bragan- and he left because he got a job coaching in MLB after being with us for one year.

Now all of that said, I do wish that Polk had not behaved the way he did so that he could still be a part of our program in some way, shape, or form- but he made his decision and will likely regret it someday if he doesn't already. He would be a great ambassador for our program if he were able to keep his hands in the cookie jar and try to undermine Cohen.

Todd4State
04-11-2016, 12:16 AM
Todd, I was looking at season stats tonight. Look at the strikeouts for Mangum and Marrero. These kids don't strikeout. Very impressive.

Marrero doesn't surprise me as much because of his Dad's MLB background. But I never thought Mangum would be hitting .400 at this point. They're both really good at making contact. They're only going to get better too.

War Machine Dawg
04-11-2016, 01:18 AM
Yes but what I think he is saying is we would still be a great program even without him. Paul Gregory won several SEC championships for us and was the first coach to take us to Omaha. Before Gregory, R P Patty won some SEC Championships in the 40's. And before that was Dudy Noble. Really the only completely unsuccessful coach we had since the 1920's was Jimmy Bragan- and he left because he got a job coaching in MLB after being with us for one year.

Now all of that said, I do wish that Polk had not behaved the way he did so that he could still be a part of our program in some way, shape, or form- but he made his decision and will likely regret it someday if he doesn't already. He would be a great ambassador for our program if he were able to keep his hands in the cookie jar and try to undermine Cohen.

Exactly. MSU baseball has a history and tradition of almost 100 years. It didn't start with Polk, and it's surviving - even thriving - despite his best effort to kill it. Pardon me if I'm not rushing to blow him after he acted a ass on his way out the door.

somebodyshotmypaw
04-11-2016, 06:28 AM

My quoting had nothing to do with my thoughts, good or bad, on Polk. Just pointing out that it's a crazy game sometimes. We didn't exactly follow the script this weekend.

Doc
04-11-2016, 08:34 AM
What is ole Ron up to these days?

bhamdawgfan
04-11-2016, 08:41 AM
What is ole Ron up to these days?

http://www.uabsports.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/ron_polk_371420.html

maroonmania
04-11-2016, 12:18 PM
Exactly. MSU baseball has a history and tradition of almost 100 years. It didn't start with Polk, and it's surviving - even thriving - despite his best effort to kill it. Pardon me if I'm not rushing to blow him after he acted a ass on his way out the door.

What are you talking about? Ron Polk IS MSU baseball. And if you doubt it just ask him.**

Jarius
04-11-2016, 12:35 PM
I hate things ended the way they did with him. He could help us a lot even being retired. I don't know how his relationship with Scott and Cohen are currently, but maybe there is a chance for some healing there (if it is still sour).

tcdog70
04-11-2016, 02:43 PM
I think our best pitching staff ever was under Paul Gregory--Duck Profitt, Dennis Hall and Mike Jones--with Whoopstick Henderson--They won the SEC.