PDA

View Full Version : Of all the freshmen pitchers, I never expected Pilkington to be the guy....

Taog Redloh
04-10-2016, 08:57 PM
....that stepped up. Yes others have had bright moments but this dude showed up when we needed it most.

Political Hack
04-10-2016, 09:09 PM
I still think Small is going to blow up still. If he does, and Pilk and Houston throw like they did today, we're going to be very very difficult to deal with come regionals.

AlSwearengen
04-10-2016, 09:15 PM
i haven't seen a lot of the freshmen, but pilkington looked like he was hitting the corners pretty well and when he missed, it was just off the plate.

I imagine that his command is just better right now than the other freshmen and that is what has him getting the ball.

Jack Lambert
04-10-2016, 09:16 PM
We might have found our two Sunday pitchers.

KB21
04-10-2016, 09:44 PM
Ethan Small was hitting 95 on the radar gun Friday night. If that guy rounds into form, he's going to make a major impact this year and is a future Friday night starter.

Brando
04-10-2016, 10:35 PM
i haven't seen a lot of the freshmen, but pilkington looked like he was hitting the corners pretty well and when he missed, it was just off the plate.

I imagine that his command is just better right now than the other freshmen and that is what has him getting the ball.

Pilk got screwed ATLEAST twice in the first and twice in the second with calls that should have been K's looking and the ump called them balls....

Todd4State
04-10-2016, 10:46 PM
Pilkington came VERY close to making the Team USA U18 team last year. Breaux, Gray Fenter, and Elih Marrero all made the team. Pilkington made the 40 man roster.

Eventually I think Small and Breaux will pass him- but for now he is ahead in terms of being able to get through more than one inning. Pilkington will be a major pitcher for us the next two years though as long as he stays healthy.

Todd4State
04-10-2016, 10:47 PM
Ethan Small was hitting 95 on the radar gun Friday night. If that guy rounds into form, he's going to make a major impact this year and is a future Friday night starter.

Once Small learns a third pitch it's going to be scary.

Todd4State
04-10-2016, 10:47 PM
I still think Small is going to blow up still. If he does, and Pilk and Houston throw like they did today, we're going to be very very difficult to deal with come regionals.

Right now, I would use Small like Ole Miss used Drew Pomeranz as a freshman- just put him out there and let him throw gas.

War Machine Dawg
04-10-2016, 11:18 PM
Right now, I would use Small like Ole Miss used Drew Pomeranz as a freshman- just put him out there and let him throw gas.

He'd be perfect in the closer role like Pomeranz was. "So you think you can hit gas? Hit this if you can." Same thing we did with Mitch Moreland in '07.

dawgoneyall
04-10-2016, 11:27 PM
....that stepped up. Yes others have had bright moments but this dude showed up when we needed it most.

Houston stepped up.

dawgoneyall
04-10-2016, 11:28 PM
Houston stepped up.

He was great until he decided to quit throwing strikes

Ralph
04-10-2016, 11:34 PM
Houston stepped up.

Yes he did. I thought we pulled him too early but props to Hump for getting out of a huge jam in the 8th.

Todd4State
04-10-2016, 11:59 PM
He'd be perfect in the closer role like Pomeranz was. "So you think you can hit gas? Hit this if you can." Same thing we did with Mitch Moreland in '07.

I don't think Small would be a bad option as a closer right now. Humphreys is getting it done for now though. Good to have more than one option.

Taog Redloh
04-11-2016, 08:26 AM
Houston stepped up.

He's not a freshman.

Bama_Dawg
04-11-2016, 09:39 AM
I've watched Pilkington each year since he was a HS freshman (many times each year too). On Sunday you saw him keeping the ball down, and hitting his spots (although the home plate ump was horrible calling the low strike and even the inside strikes on a RH hitter). That is good Pilk. Bad Pilk will elevate the ball and get a bit wild. I think this is due to fatigue.

I believe once his confidence, conditioning, and swagger get better...he's gonna be a real good one.

AlSwearengen
04-11-2016, 10:08 AM
I've watched Pilkington each year since he was a HS freshman (many times each year too). On Sunday you saw him keeping the ball down, and hitting his spots (although the home plate ump was horrible calling the low strike and even the inside strikes on a RH hitter). That is good Pilk. Bad Pilk will elevate the ball and get a bit wild. I think this is due to fatigue.

I believe once his confidence, conditioning, and swagger get better...he's gonna be a real good one.

This is the key. A lot of people get hung up on velocity, but if a pitcher throws a 97 mph fastball that is straight and flat over the heart of the plate, SEC hitters will murder you.

A successful pitcher first and foremost is going to have good movement and location. Then they need to be able to change speeds.

Of course, if a kid throws 95 and can do the above, he will be a star.

(The above is for those that didn't play baseball growing up)

tcdog70
04-11-2016, 02:48 PM

Seems like Ethan comes in with runners in scoring position and we need a strike-out. that is a lot of pressure on a Freshman. How about just let him start and get His rhythm, He could be dominate.

baseballfan
04-11-2016, 11:30 PM
I agree I think Small should get a start. He's averaging 18.65 strikeouts per 9 innings. I think if he gets a chance and can get in rhythm you will see he will dominate and get better every outing.

Todd4State
04-11-2016, 11:37 PM
Seems like Ethan comes in with runners in scoring position and we need a strike-out. that is a lot of pressure on a Freshman. How about just let him start and get His rhythm, He could be dominate.

We've tried to stretch him out multiple times this year- and he just hasn't been able to get past one inning yet. If I remember correctly, he was one of the main guys that got hit hard against EKU because we tried to stretch him out.

Now, that said- the same thing applies to Small in that there is absolutely a chance that he could turn the corner at any moment and there is time for him to do so- but if Cohen gives him that opportunity he needs to be careful with him. If he can become a multiple inning guy we could become scary good- and as well as Pilkington has pitched I might have to consider moving him back to midweek if that does indeed happen. But right now that's a huge "what if?" scenario that I don't think we can count on.

baseballfan
04-12-2016, 09:12 PM
Small has never started. Pilkington has never had to go in those high pressure situations. I still say stsrt him even mid week. He will be the guy. It's all there he just needs the same opportunity to start. He has so much talent it's unreal as a freshman. Our coaches need to cultivate that talent.

baseballfan
04-12-2016, 09:12 PM
Lol. Everyone was hit.

tcdog70
04-12-2016, 09:55 PM
We've tried to stretch him out multiple times this year- and he just hasn't been able to get past one inning yet. If I remember correctly, he was one of the main guys that got hit hard against EKU because we tried to stretch him out.

Now, that said- the same thing applies to Small in that there is absolutely a chance that he could turn the corner at any moment and there is time for him to do so- but if Cohen gives him that opportunity he needs to be careful with him. If he can become a multiple inning guy we could become scary good- and as well as Pilkington has pitched I might have to consider moving him back to midweek if that does indeed happen. But right now that's a huge "what if?" scenario that I don't think we can count on.

Well they had a couple of chink hits. One guy did hit him hard. Let Him throw his fastball and don't ask Him to speed up our opponents bats with his number three pitch. Ray Charles can see Small needs a start. So what you are saying is it is ok to bring him in with two on base in a crucial time but not ok to let Him start?

Todd4State
04-12-2016, 10:17 PM
Well they had a couple of chink hits. One guy did hit him hard. Let Him throw his fastball and don't ask Him to speed up our opponents bats with his number three pitch. Ray Charles can see Small needs a start. So what you are saying is it is ok to bring him in with two on base in a crucial time but not ok to let Him start?

I'm saying based on his performance thus far and his experience it's risky. Relief pitching and starting are two different animals. You don't have to worry about getting through the lineup 2-3 times in a relief scenario. And if you don't have a third pitch, it's really hard because even hitters at this level will eliminate and sit fastball.

It's one of those things where if you start him and it works, Cohen is a genius and if it doesn't he's probably going to get criticized pretty hard over it.