PDA

View Full Version : Biggest regular season series of Cohen's tenure?

messageboardsuperhero
04-10-2016, 06:45 PM
Maybe so. To come back and win two against the unanimous #1 team in America, without our most valuable position player, having our ace already spent, and our second best starter having a bad game... BEYOND IMPRESSIVE. I'd like to give a big **** you to all the non-believers in this team at the start of the year. We are legit and it was evident from the very start of the season.

ETA: And let me add, we did that today with one of the most blatantly one-sided strike zones I have EVER seen. Florida got every borderline pitch and we got none. Not to mention that we were robbed of a home run and their 3rd basemen pulled that busch league bullshit that almost got Marrero's ACL torn- we beat #1 and the umps today.

Hunkaburningdawg
04-10-2016, 06:48 PM
Slow clap. I'm too lazy to link a gif.

STATEBALLIN
04-10-2016, 06:50 PM
That's strike zone was ridiculous!

Political Hack
04-10-2016, 06:51 PM
Team has guts. It's nice to see them playing this well. Hope Robson can get healthy quick.

BankerDog
04-10-2016, 06:53 PM
It's like Gavin Collins told me after getting beat by FAU.."Dude we're good. We're going to be GOOD." He was right. What a leader he and those JRs have become.

turkish
04-10-2016, 06:54 PM
What good is a win if the team hates the coach??!!1! *

LC Dawg
04-10-2016, 07:03 PM
I usually write off my issues with strike zones as my maroon colored glasses but Florida had double digit hitters with 4-5 strike at-bats. That made it even more gratifying to beat them. We've got ourselves a special team.

dawgoneyall
04-10-2016, 07:10 PM
Maybe so. To come back and win two against the unanimous #1 team in America, without our most valuable position player, having our ace already spent, and our second best starter having a bad game... BEYOND IMPRESSIVE. I'd like to give a big **** you to all the non-believers in this team at the start of the year. We are legit and it was evident from the very start of the season.

ETA: And let me add, we did that today with one of the most blatantly one-sided strike zones I have EVER seen. Florida got every borderline pitch and we got none. Not to mention that we were robbed of a home run and their 3rd basemen pulled that busch league bullshit that almost got Marrero's ACL torn- we beat #1 and the umps today.

That was some bad umping.
Just glad the people with the strapped coats weren't near by when I went off....several times

State82
04-10-2016, 07:10 PM
Was about to post the exact same thing. I think this is without a doubt the biggest regular season victory in Cohen's tenure.

basedog
04-10-2016, 07:14 PM
"IT". That is all.

Coach34
04-10-2016, 07:14 PM
Outstanding job by our team this weekend

shoeless joe
04-10-2016, 07:22 PM
Outstanding job by our team this weekend

And coaches

BeardoMSU
04-10-2016, 07:29 PM
Slow clap. I'm too lazy to link a gif.

I gotz ya**

https://m.popkey.co/9f6213/7MKka.gif

Saltydog
04-10-2016, 07:48 PM
we've got to find a closer. Lack of a shutdown closer may end up being our Achilles heel.

KB21
04-10-2016, 07:50 PM
Also, I still do not believe their catcher tagged Elih with the ball in his glove on the play at the plate. They never should have sent Elih in that situation, but their catcher threw his elbow out Elih and never tagged him with the ball.

basedog
04-10-2016, 07:58 PM
we've got to find a closer. Lack of a shutdown closer may end up being our Achilles heel.

Houston and Hump did there job. We are on the right track. If your still not sure about this team after winning on the road at Vandy and Florida plus winning 4 straight series you can't be helped. Not a bash as I realize there will always be naysayers.

Fun team to watch.

Eric Nies Grind Time
04-10-2016, 08:01 PM
Also, I still do not believe their catcher tagged Elih with the ball in his glove on the play at the plate. They never should have sent Elih in that situation, but their catcher threw his elbow out Elih and never tagged him with the ball.

Definitely looked like he got tagged.

Todd4State
04-10-2016, 08:11 PM
They missed the obstruction call. It looked to me like Marrero tripped on India's foot which by definition is obstruction. That was BS.

messageboardsuperhero
04-10-2016, 08:19 PM
I'd also like to reinforce how horseshit and busch league that pathetic attempt at a dupe was at third. The third baseman was FIVE FEET off the bag in the middle of Marrero's line to the basepath and didn't move until he was two steps from the base- all but guaranteeing a botched slide. It's one thing to make that play when you're standing on the bag and not obstructing the runner's path- but that was bull shit. It's a miracle that Marrero didn't come up with a bum ankle or worse. That's the kind of stuff that would get you one in the ribs or start a brawl in the big leagues.

You KNOW it's bad when even O'Sullivan comes and chews his own guy out during the pitching change, and even those homer announcers were calling it a crap play.

messageboardsuperhero
04-10-2016, 08:20 PM
They missed the obstruction call. It looked to me like Marrero tripped on India's foot which by definition is obstruction. That was BS.

Again, an obvious BS blown call.

BulldogtheMS
04-10-2016, 08:22 PM
There was definitely some home cookin' in the swamp today. I can think of 3 calls that could have split the game wide open and I didn't even get to watch the whole game.

Coach34
04-10-2016, 08:27 PM
And coaches

agreed. Top to bottom- well done

Political Hack
04-10-2016, 08:28 PM
I'd also like to reinforce how horseshit and busch league that pathetic attempt at a dupe was at third. The third baseman was FIVE FEET off the bag in the middle of Marrero's line to the basepath and didn't move until he was two steps from the base- all but guaranteeing a botched slide. It's one thing to make that play when you're standing on the bag and not obstructing the runner's path- but that was bull shit. It's a miracle that Marrero didn't come up with a bum ankle or worse. That's the kind of stuff that would get you one in the ribs or start a brawl in the big leagues.

You KNOW it's bad when even O'Sullivan comes and chews his own guy out during the pitching change, and even those homer announcers were calling it a crap play.

Dumb freshman mistake. I don't think it was malicious and I bet the kid never does it again.

Coach34
04-10-2016, 08:29 PM
Not often the calls go against us and we still win out. Just a determined team today and they refused to lose.

Pilk, Houston, and Hump all came up big on the mound

Political Hack
04-10-2016, 08:31 PM
I still can't believe that wasn't called a HR.

Cody's play from RF saved us in the 2nd. Also huge for Hump to come in after a rough game and get the final 6 outs. That was outstanding. Elih crushed it too.

messageboardsuperhero
04-10-2016, 08:38 PM
Dumb freshman mistake. I don't think it was malicious and I bet the kid never does it again.

I don't think it was intentional either, but that kid better have learned his lesson real quick. That could have been a season ender for our stud catcher.

DancingRabbit
04-10-2016, 08:41 PM
Pinstripes become a bigger player going forward? Nothing better than winning while looking sharp.

Glad we weren't wearing camo while taking 2 at FL.

Todd4State
04-10-2016, 08:42 PM

It's a miracle Elih didn't kick his ass.

Todd4State
04-10-2016, 08:43 PM
Pinstripes become a bigger player going forward? Nothing better than winning while looking sharp.

I hope so. I'd like to see some this weekend for home. Without the Phillies stripe.

dickiedawg
04-10-2016, 08:49 PM
I'd be shocked if we don't break out the white pinstripes this weekend. Again, the classic ones not the Phillies version.

IMissJack
04-10-2016, 08:49 PM

Loved the pinstripes

bulldogcountry1
04-10-2016, 08:58 PM
I was always taught you weren't allowed to fake tag in baseball. I always believed it because it made sense, and never thought otherwise because I had never seen such a blatant attempt. It's just bad form. Almost as bad as pretending a coach tripped you...

I hope we bust out the ole tyme cream unis on Saturday.

messageboardsuperhero
04-10-2016, 10:01 PM
I was always taught you weren't allowed to fake tag in baseball. I always believed it because it made sense, and never thought otherwise because I had never seen such a blatant attempt. It's just bad form. Almost as bad as pretending a coach tripped you...

I hope we bust out the ole tyme cream unis on Saturday.

A fake tag is absolutely legal- but you can't stand in the basepath and obstruct a runner's progress to do it.

War Machine Dawg
04-10-2016, 10:23 PM
Houston and Hump did there job. We are on the right track. If your still not sure about this team after winning on the road at Vandy and Florida plus winning 4 straight series you can't be helped. Not a bash as I realize there will always be naysayers.

Fun team to watch.

Small could be that guy too. 95+ from the left side in the late innings would be devastating.

Bothrops
04-10-2016, 10:32 PM
Without question, it is.

baseballfan
04-10-2016, 11:47 PM
I liked Houston today. He has worked some things out and seemed at ease. This team fights together. To go the distance we need them working together and pulling for each other. There are so many good things coming together. I think our pen has really turned the corner. One by one someone steps up. We are are getting better every game. Even though we didn't win Friday, we know Hudson is the guy. I like Small. He just keeps getting better. Not so sure Florida didn't steal signals Friday night. Sexton will be ok too and Rigby was good too. Just proud to be a Bulldog!

Ralph
04-10-2016, 11:53 PM

Don't think we sent him. He had a big lead and when hit to 3b he took a step to the bag and realized the 3b was charging towards the line and would've tagged him out. At worst he he should've gotten in a run down to advance runner to third

maroonmania
04-11-2016, 09:00 AM
A fake tag is absolutely legal- but you can't stand in the basepath and obstruct a runner's progress to do it.

Standing slap in the middle of the path to the base was the issue, not the fake tag. The 3rd baseman moved out of the way at the very last second and Eli slid awkwardly because he thought there was about to be a collision. I'm just so glad Eli got up from that without an apparent injury. Could have easily ended his season.

Dawgface
04-11-2016, 09:33 AM
Got a question. I'm not baseball savvy. Just not my sport although I'm very happy our dogs are playing well. Cohen got a lot of heat last year and early this year for meddling too much. Is he just doing a better job of game management now or is it simply a case that this young bunch of guys are that good? Probably a combo but I'm guessing more of the latter.

shoeless joe
04-11-2016, 09:39 AM
Got a question. I'm not baseball savvy. Just not my sport although I'm very happy our dogs are playing well. Cohen got a lot of heat last year and early this year for meddling too much. Is he just doing a better job of game management now or is it simply a case that this young bunch of guys are that good? Probably a combo but I'm guessing more of the latter.

For the most part the players are executing better and doing their job. When they don't...holland bunt attempt, gridley tuff hop...the team battles thru and overcomes. This team is taking on a tuff gritty mentality and we're seeing the results. Also doesn't hurt to have good pitching...successful teams can always go back to that.

War Machine Dawg
04-11-2016, 09:56 AM

Yes and no. I plan to touch on this in a more expansive post later today. Cohen still #meddles, because that's what he does and he just can't help himself. But he's mostly found some guys he trusts and runs them out there regularly instead of random player of the day. The roles of players are more defined. And you're seeing the results.

But as shoeless said, more of it is this team just has a special makeup. When Cohen #meddles and it blows up, they just get pissed and find a way to overcome it. It's fun to watch a team that fights like hell to win.

AusTexDawg
04-11-2016, 09:57 AM

Agree on both counts.