PDA

View Full Version : The NCAA has hit Donnie Tyndall with a 10-year show-cause penalty

MadDawg
04-08-2016, 10:53 AM
https://twitter.com/GaryParrishCBS/status/718452748270903298

BeardoMSU
04-08-2016, 10:54 AM
Yikes....that'll put a damper on a career

starkvegasdawg
04-08-2016, 10:55 AM
Somewhere Freeze and Nix just had their balls crawl back up into their stomachs. The NCAA appears to have found their teeth again.

DawgPoundLazer
04-08-2016, 10:56 AM
Wow....that's a stiff penalty. I know some Bear Sharks who are pretty concerned right now considering how seriously the NCAA handled the punishment. Considering Bjork and Freezus initially tried not to cooperate with the NCAA on Tunsil stuff, this could be a preview of what's to come.

Dawg61
04-08-2016, 10:59 AM
Guess UT made the right call. That's a career ending penalty.

msstate7
04-08-2016, 11:02 AM
What'd he do?

Mjoelner34
04-08-2016, 11:03 AM

Dayum! And he didn't even have a catfish recruiting for him!

YoungB
04-08-2016, 11:03 AM
Guess UT made the right call. That's a career ending penalty.

Yeah, feels like the only strong pivot from that is the Maurice Clarrett speaking tour at coaches conferences. Go 100% honest and just tell everyone, hey this stuff gets you in career ending trouble. Don't do it like I did.

Reason2succeed
04-08-2016, 11:05 AM
If he got 10 years just for prostitutes and strippers what is Bucky and Nix going to get?

Mjoelner34
04-08-2016, 11:09 AM
If he got 10 years just for prostitutes and strippers what is Bucky and Nix going to get? Jobs with Coach Saunders and Professor Powe at Pearl River JUCO.

AROB44
04-08-2016, 11:10 AM
And...How many on here want Mullen to do the exact same thing (maybe not quite to that extent).

ShotgunDawg
04-08-2016, 11:13 AM
It feels like the NCAA is cleaning up the green in order to build precedence to lay down the whammer on others

MedDawg
04-08-2016, 11:21 AM

MadDawg
04-08-2016, 11:30 AM
If he got 10 years just for prostitutes and strippers what is Bucky and Nix going to get?

They aren't lawyering up for nothing...

MSUDawg99
04-08-2016, 11:33 AM
Dan Wolken's twitter is a must follow right now.

starkvegasdawg
04-08-2016, 11:39 AM
Dan Wolken's twitter is a must follow right now.

Just did.

Bubb Rubb
04-08-2016, 11:50 AM
"failed to create an atmosphere of compliance."

You will hear that again. We now have a precedent regarding penalties for such things.

BrunswickDawg
04-08-2016, 11:52 AM
Burner phones, academic fraud, they sound a lot like UNM not USM.

TrapGame
04-08-2016, 11:53 AM
Foreshadowing.

This is it right here. I expect a lot of bears to go silent with some puckered butt holes.

Bully13
04-08-2016, 11:56 AM
Who is donnie? What did he do? What school is this? Usm?

Liverpooldawg
04-08-2016, 12:06 PM
Well we see what happened when one staff and one sport are implicated. What's going to happen when it's multiple sports over multiple staffs?

Political Hack
04-08-2016, 12:18 PM
And...How many on here want Mullen to do the exact same thing (maybe not quite to that extent).

Nobody should. There's a difference in gray area recruiting and paying for player. Paying for players does not work and it's bad for a program. Recruiting lights out from the local cafe to cute girls on campus to the players and the fans knowing players and showing them attention is different. That's what needs to happen at State. No one should be buying prostitutes, supplying drugs, paying 1,000's of dollars for a signature or a visit, or taking kids ACTs for them bough. That's utterly ridiculous and will only serve to destiny the culture of a program in the long run.

ScoobaDawg
04-08-2016, 12:31 PM
Worse then 10 years... If anyone tried to hire him in the next 10 years he can't be a coach or do anything coaching wise at all.
Even if he is hired AFTER 10 years he HAS to be suspended 50% of the first season...

Guy better head to a juco or high school or line to be a line cook.

And its not just him.
They hammered 4 others

A six-year show-cause order for the graduate assistant who completed online assignments for prospects and did not appear at the hearing.
A seven-year show-cause order for the graduate assistant who completed online assignments for prospects and refused to cooperate with the investigation.
A two-year show-cause order for a prospect’s prep school coach because he was employed at an NCAA school during the investigation.
An eight-year show-cause order for the former associate head coach from April 8, 2016, through April 7, 2024.

RocketDawg
04-08-2016, 12:42 PM
Who is donnie? What did he do? What school is this? Usm?

I had to look him up too since I never heard of him. He was basketball coach at USM for some time, then for the past year was BB coach at Tennessee, then got fired. Don't know if he was fired at USM or not, but he had some shady recruiting practices there that caught up with him.

ckDOG
04-08-2016, 12:42 PM
Damn - if this is foreshadowing of what's to come in Oxford, many of us might be owing Bracky and apology and demanding a raise (still will be pissed with the whole Redmond deal though). Appears the NCAA has decided to take back control over compliance.

Political Hack
04-08-2016, 12:47 PM
Damn - if this is foreshadowing of what's to come in Oxford, many of us might be owing Bracky and apology and demanding a raise (still will be pissed with the whole Redmond deal though). Appears the NCAA has decided to take back control over compliance.

The rules changed since then. NCAA now holds coaches more responsible for recruiting violations. But yes, Freeze is hosed. If he gets less than a 1-year show cause at this point I will be stunned. The academic scandal along with the recruiting violations is going to be a double whammy.

Here's another little nugget for y'all... The NCAA has been talking to people about the fake Twitter account even. It's going to be nasty by the time the hammer drops. I feel pretty confident that this is the last year we will be dealing with Freeze for a while.

TrapGame
04-08-2016, 12:47 PM
Well we see what happened when one staff and one sport are implicated. What's going to happen when it's multiple sports over multiple staffs?

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSwpW2PWnFSp4NYTuMYUrsjBxLHZ90PV Lh9Tbi-Rc4H9y5L3klk

shannondawg
04-08-2016, 12:49 PM
Somewhere Freeze and Nix just had their balls crawl back up into their stomachs. The NCAA appears to have found their teeth again.

+1 is that how you give points to someone? If not someone be so kind as to give him some.

Mjoelner34
04-08-2016, 12:53 PM
+1 is that how you give points to someone? If not someone be so kind as to give him some.

Go back to Starkvegas' post and click the star that looks like a sheriff's badge at the bottom left of the post. You'll see the star and a triangle with a '!' in in. Just click the star.

TrapGame
04-08-2016, 12:54 PM
Here's another little nugget for y'all... The NCAA has been talking to people about the fake Twitter account even. It's going to be nasty by the time the hammer drops. I feel pretty confident that this is the last year we will be dealing with Freeze for a while.

Please, please be true. I want a sad, broken fan base for about five years.

Johnson85
04-08-2016, 01:35 PM

Damn. As scummy as recruiting is, I don't think any of it really deserves a ten year show cause. It's not like the NCAA hasn't been turning a blind eye to all this stuff for a while. A 3-5 year show cause would be enough to make people take notice and at least give him a chance to come back coaching at lower NCAA levels. They basically just snuffed his NCAA career. Unless he can find a way to get to the NBA, he's basically JUCO and high school from here on out.

If he was caught red handed supplying prostitutes and/or drugs or something else that endangered his players, ok, but just the normal financial benefits and loosening of academic standards, the NCAA has basically been complicit in that.

DancingRabbit
04-08-2016, 02:27 PM
Damn. As scummy as recruiting is, I don't think any of it really deserves a ten year show cause. It's not like the NCAA hasn't been turning a blind eye to all this stuff for a while. A 3-5 year show cause would be enough to make people take notice and at least give him a chance to come back coaching at lower NCAA levels. They basically just snuffed his NCAA career. Unless he can find a way to get to the NBA, he's basically JUCO and high school from here on out.

If he was caught red handed supplying prostitutes and/or drugs or something else that endangered his players, ok, but just the normal financial benefits and loosening of academic standards, the NCAA has basically been complicit in that.

As is often the case, "the cover-up is more serious than the crime."

In order to disrupt the investigation, the former head coach instructed a staff member to fabricate a document purportedly showing that the university approved the payments from the student-athletes’ former coaches. The former coach used this document to justify his facilitation of the payments, without noting that it had been created more than two years after he stated it was.

The former head coach failed to promote an atmosphere for compliance when he deleted emails relevant to the investigation, provided false or misleading information during interviews, contacted other individuals involved with knowledge of the investigation and directed the academic misconduct.

Mjoelner34
04-08-2016, 02:33 PM
As is often the case, "the cover-up is more serious than the crime."

http://media.salon.com/2014/02/richard_nixon_ap.jpg
I agree with this!

War Machine Dawg
04-08-2016, 07:22 PM
NCAA = Undertaker, Tyndall = Lesnar
http://i.imgur.com/muMTnYY.gif

gravedigger
04-08-2016, 08:03 PM

That seems to be what the real bitching is about. That we dont.

ScoobaDawg
04-08-2016, 08:08 PM
The rules changed since then. NCAA now holds coaches more responsible for recruiting violations. But yes, Freeze is hosed. If he gets less than a 1-year show cause at this point I will be stunned. The academic scandal along with the recruiting violations is going to be a double whammy.

I wondered about that this morning... Steve could turn over the persons identity because tweeting a recruit is by the letter a violation. But what can the NCAA really do about it...

sandwolf
04-09-2016, 12:57 AM

It's not like they caught some boosters cheating and felt like Tyndall knew what was going on and just looked the other way. The guy sent assistant coaches and GA's around the country with the sole purpose of committing academic fraud in an effort to help prospects get eligible, he paid to enroll prospects in online classes to help them get eligible and he made cash and prepaid credit card payments to players and then fabricated documents to try to make those payments look legitimate. Tyndall was personally acting as 'The Network', and the NCAA had the evidence to prove it. When they are able to put together this rock solid of a case and the allegations are this egregious, their response has to send the message that this type of shit won't be tolerated and any coach who allows it is risking their career as a college coach. I think they should have just gone ahead and banned him permanently.