PDA

View Full Version : Pastner to GT

BrunswickDawg
04-08-2016, 09:31 AM
GT just bailed out Memphis.

I grew up going to a lot of GT games in the Cremmins era, and have always followed them (my uncle played FB for GT in the 60s and had season tickets to everything). I can't decide if this move makes sense for them. He is definitely an upgrade from Paul Gregory - but the last 2 years at Memphis would have me concerned if I were a GT fan pining for the days of Lethal Weapon 3.

What do y'all think?

confucius say
04-08-2016, 09:47 AM
I think Memphis should check Stans's buyout with the Hilltoppers.

smootness
04-08-2016, 09:52 AM
He should be able to recruit well, but I think it'll turn out much like the Hewitt era. Some success mixed with inexplicable down years and ultimately fired after 6-7 years.

DancingRabbit
04-08-2016, 09:54 AM
It seems like a win-win for Pastner and Memphis.

Not sure how I think it will be for GT. Pastner's players never got in trouble off the court, but they appeared to have little respect for him on the court. He's a good recruiter, so-so coach. Maybe with a re-boot he'll become a better coach and have some success at GT.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-08-2016, 09:59 AM
I think Memphis should check Stans's buyout with the Hilltoppers.

Don't see that happening even if he was still at A&M.

Westdawg
04-08-2016, 10:02 AM
i think Pastner was strongly "encouraged" to find somewhere else to go. i have a family member who is a BIG TIME donor/alum and is one of their power cigar boys if you would call them that.....he had hinted that Pastner was not going to be fired, but it was well known in his circle that Pastner no longer had the support of the big boosters nor of the admins, and that the only reason he was not already gone was his ridiculous contract.
pastner saw the the writing on the wall, and headed for a lot less of a headache for himself, and i don't blame him.

Big4Dawg
04-08-2016, 10:10 AM
Pastner had a $10 MILLION buyout.

So yeah, Memphis wanted to fire him but couldn't. Rumor is Greg Marshall.

thf24
04-08-2016, 10:19 AM
I heard a rumor last night that the university was somehow unaware until recently that Pastner and their AD have the same agent. Pastner may have suddenly been feeling heat and decided to bolt on his own. If true, there will probably still be some fallout because collusion would explain the VERY questionable contract Pastner had. The $10 million buyout wasn't the only head scratcher in it.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-08-2016, 10:47 AM
Pastner had a $10 MILLION buyout.

So yeah, Memphis wanted to fire him but couldn't. Rumor is Greg Marshall.

That would be hustling backwards. Why leave Wichita for Memphis? Unless Memphis is paying $4-5mil/year it doesn't make much if any sense.

thf24
04-08-2016, 10:50 AM
That would be hustling backwards. Why leave Wichita for Memphis? Unless Memphis is paying $4-5mil/year it doesn't make much if any sense.

You have to remember that in Memphis fans' minds they're a top 10 all-time program. Just about every hot name out there is being thrown around in my office right now just because they believe they can get whoever they want.

Dawg61
04-08-2016, 10:57 AM

Memphis has a higher ceiling than Wichita. Gotta think it's a little deflating to see your team barely make the last four in two years removed from being #1 in the country.

Five-tool Poster
04-08-2016, 10:59 AM

Because its a better job.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-08-2016, 11:08 AM
Because its a better job.

Is it? In what way? He's making $3mil/year & he's pretty much turned Wichita into a Gonzaga lite type mid major where they're a tourney lock no matter the conference tourney results.

Dawg61
04-08-2016, 11:14 AM
Is it? In what way? He's making $3mil/year & he's pretty much turned Wichita into a Gonzaga lite type mid major where they're a tourney lock no matter the conference tourney results.

They aren't a tourney lock though. He got that message this year when they had to play in the first four. Memphis is a much stronger historical program. They are in a better conference. They have more money and better facilities and sit in a recruiting hotbed for basketball. Marshall would be hanging with the Grizzlies every day. He should take that job. It's a good one.

Big4Dawg
04-08-2016, 11:22 AM
For one, you get to play in Fedex forum. Memphis has a lot of basketball talent.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-08-2016, 11:24 AM
So is Memphis willing to pay $4mil/yr?

Dawg61
04-08-2016, 11:29 AM
So is Memphis willing to pay $4mil/yr?

They gave Pastner a $10 mill buyout. I'd say so since they just saved $10 mill.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-08-2016, 11:46 AM
They gave Pastner a $10 mill buyout. I'd say so since they just saved $10 mill.

Yea but part of the reason that Pastner was still employed by Memphis is because they didn't/couldn't pay that $10mil

C222
04-08-2016, 11:52 AM
Memphis job > Wichita St job

Dawg61
04-08-2016, 11:57 AM
Yea but part of the reason that Pastner was still employed by Memphis is because they didn't/couldn't pay that $10mil

True but when you feel like you just saved $10 mill you're thrilled to pay $4 mill when you're getting Gregg Marshall. FedEx man himself (name is escaping me) would probably fly to Wichita and hand it to Marshall himself.

DawgInMemphis
04-08-2016, 12:03 PM
True but when you feel like you just saved $10 mill you're thrilled to pay $4 mill when you're getting Gregg Marshall. FedEx man himself (name is escaping me) would probably fly to Wichita and hand it to Marshall himself.

Koch money > Fred Smith money