PDA

View Full Version : Future Baseball Schedule

messageboardsuperhero
08-15-2013, 02:54 PM
I just saw Msstatebaseball's tweet about us adding UCLA, USC, and Oregon to the schedule in 2016.

I've also heard stuff about us playing in the Minute Maid Classic in 2015, and that tournament always has great competition.

We're also playing a home-and-home series with Arizona in 2014 and 2015.

I LOVE Cohen and Bratton setting us up to play these high RPI teams in the future, and the committee will like the fact that we have a lot of these games away from Dudy Noble. Considering how much the committee takes RPI into account in the hosting discussion, I'm really glad we're ramping up our schedule. Cohen's seriously starting to get it going; this is how you elevate your program. The future looks really bright in baseball.

MsStateBaseball
08-15-2013, 03:25 PM
I think a part of playing these teams is recruiting. We are getting them from California so we need to play there. We are nationwide!

messageboardsuperhero
08-15-2013, 04:40 PM
I think this is a pretty pivotal 3-5 year time period for our baseball program. We just need to keep improving and moving in the right direction.

Todd4State
08-15-2013, 07:00 PM
The Minute Maid Classic is the most prestigious pre-season college baseball tournament out there. MLB.com has covered it before, and they hardly ever cover anything college baseball related that isn't about the draft. It's a huge honor to get invited to that.

I highly suspect that if we are playing UCLA and USC, it's going to be in the Dodgertown Classic which is played at Dodger Stadium. I'm not sure that Oregon would be in that tournament or if that would be a separate series. Playing in the Dodgertown Classic is also very prestigious- I would say it's probably second to the Minute Maid Classic.

It will help our recruiting in California. We're recruiting more and more there (Alex Detz, Gavin Collins and now Aaron Dominguez) and it's hard for our coaches to evaluate recruits because of the distance- but this will give our coaches a chance to see some of these players in person. Being in the SEC, we have a footprint in Florida, Georgia, and Texas.

It will also help us in the CWS as well because some of those teams like Oregon and UCLA are big time small ball teams with outstanding pitching. Playing them head to head will only help us to prepare better.

Todd4State
08-15-2013, 07:03 PM
I think a part of playing these teams is recruiting. We are getting them from California so we need to play there. We are nationwide!

That and also exposing people outside of the South to MSU baseball. We were probably truly national in the late 80's until LSU came along. But from traveling the world in my life, I've come to realize that most people just don't know what we have. Going to Omaha and winning, going out to places like California and Oregon, and being on TV is going to make us even bigger and better.

messageboardsuperhero
08-15-2013, 07:13 PM
The Minute Maid Classic is the most prestigious pre-season college baseball tournament out there. MLB.com has covered it before, and they hardly ever cover anything college baseball related that isn't about the draft. It's a huge honor to get invited to that.

I highly suspect that if we are playing UCLA and USC, it's going to be in the Dodgertown Classic which is played at Dodger Stadium. I'm not sure that Oregon would be in that tournament or if that would be a separate series. Playing in the Dodgertown Classic is also very prestigious- I would say it's probably second to the Minute Maid Classic.

It will help our recruiting in California. We're recruiting more and more there (Alex Detz, Gavin Collins and now Aaron Dominguez) and it's hard for our coaches to evaluate recruits because of the distance- but this will give our coaches a chance to see some of these players in person. Being in the SEC, we have a footprint in Florida, Georgia, and Texas.

It will also help us in the CWS as well because some of those teams like Oregon and UCLA are big time small ball teams with outstanding pitching. Playing them head to head will only help us to prepare better.

I just checked up on it. We do play USC and UCLA in the Dodgertown Classic in 2016. Oregon is a home-and-home series for 2016 and 2017. I think they come to Starkville in 2016, and then we go out there in 2017. It'll be good to play those west coast teams.

And yeah, like you and Msstate said, these games and tournaments around the country against good teams will be huge for exposure and recruiting. Obviously it's great for RPI reasons too if we want to stay in the hosting discussion.

Todd4State
08-15-2013, 07:22 PM
The Dodgertown Classic is sort of like the Governor's Cup with a tournament. USC/UCLA is the marquee game for that tournament.

Also, we're playing in a tournament in New Orleans at Zephyr Field with us, USM, Nicholls State and New Orleans. That's going to be fun!

In the Minute Maid Classic, it's going to be us, LSU, and Texas A&M against Rice, Houston, and maybe Oklahoma.

This per Tyler Bratton via Genespage.

Todd4State
08-15-2013, 07:23 PM
Also, as I have said before- I anticipate us playing some games in Biloxi once their stadium gets built.