PDA

View Full Version : QB competition

Coach007
04-06-2016, 05:55 PM
It sounds like Staley is not doing well. The pecking order is Fitz, Williams and Tano.

Anybody got more info?

chef dixon
04-06-2016, 06:03 PM
Wouldn't surprise me in the least if we see 3 QBs in the first half v. South Alabama

RealHastings
04-06-2016, 08:41 PM
From what I've heard it's Fitz job to lose. At times he's looked phenomenal but is just inconsistent right now but thats to be expected. He'll get better with more time and reps. Staley is battling Williams for the #2 spot with Tiano on their heels. We have a much better QB situation than people are giving us credit for (as always).

DownwardDawg
04-06-2016, 08:48 PM
Been looking forward to seeing Fitz take the reigns. He's got big shoes to fill, but he's got the right attitude, talent, and mental capacity.

Jack Lambert
04-06-2016, 08:56 PM
Talking to a formal QB with State he said that Tano is the best one on the team and everyone likes being around him but he said that Fitz will probably be the guy next year.

missouridawg
04-06-2016, 09:15 PM
Talking to a formal QB with State he said that Tano is the best one on the team and everyone likes being around him but he said that Fitz will probably be the guy next year.

Things on Tiano. Some people have even said he might take the job from Fitz by the end of the year.

Political Hack
04-06-2016, 09:41 PM
I think Tiano is the dark horse here and it wouldn't shock me in the least to see him the #2 by the time the season rolls around.

Coach34
04-06-2016, 09:45 PM
I've heard it Fitz job and everybody knows it- but the coaches are keep up the pushing "competition"

From there- it's Staley and Tiano battling

Damien Williams is 4th and it's obvious. Don't be surprised if a transfer to J-State happens

Jarius
04-06-2016, 09:46 PM
Williams is dead last (or he better be) and it's not even close. He looked like a jr high qb in the scrimmage.

DogsofAnarchy
04-06-2016, 09:55 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but the greatest QB in our history couldn't start until he was a junior under Dan Mullen. So I hope Tiano doesn't get in a hurry.

It sounds like Staley is not doing well. The pecking order is Fitz, Williams and Tano.

Anybody got more info?

Dawg61
04-06-2016, 10:08 PM
I've heard Fitz is the clear #1 right now

msstate7
04-06-2016, 10:11 PM
What's tiano's strengths? Is he a passer, runner, or both? Is his throwing motion improved?

BeardoMSU
04-06-2016, 10:30 PM
Damien Williams is 4th and it's obvious. Don't be surprised if a transfer to J-State happens

That would actually be a nice landing spot for him, and it would give coach Hughes a QB with SEC experience.

gravedigger
04-06-2016, 10:51 PM

Anybody got more info?

fitz, tiano ......................................staley...... .................................................. .................................................. ............williams

Coach34
04-06-2016, 10:51 PM
That would actually be a nice landing spot for him, and it would give coach Hughes a QB with SEC experience.

Yep- and they were waiting for Spring so he could see it to make it easy on the staff

Coach34
04-06-2016, 10:53 PM
Fitz and Staley are battling- Taino is 3rd.

fishwater99
04-06-2016, 10:58 PM
Fitz and Staley are battling- Taino is 3rd.

I don't see anyone getting ahead of him.

Coach007
04-06-2016, 11:08 PM
No disrespect, but there is no battle between Fitz and Staley. Tiano is ahead of him. Staley is not making the reads right now.

Todd4State
04-06-2016, 11:23 PM
What's tiano's strengths? Is he a passer, runner, or both? Is his throwing motion improved?

He reminds me a lot of Tebow. His throwing motion is still better than Tebow's but he's that kind of QB based on the high school footage I've seen of him.

I think he should be really good throwing and running for us.

mic
04-07-2016, 06:06 AM
I think the majority feel that Fitz has the job to lose going forward...
But having ALL the QBs live at the first scrimmage tells me it isn't a given as most think..

Lot different taking live bullets than it is with the protective green vest on...

Coach34
04-07-2016, 06:21 AM
No disrespect, but there is no battle between Fitz and Staley. Tiano is ahead of him. Staley is not making the reads right now.

Staley made the correct reads on his 1st drive in the scrimmage when he led a his group to a TD. The battle for #2 won't be over until the 3rd week of August ends

PassInterference
04-07-2016, 06:28 AM
Making reads has to be the biggest adjustment from high school. Even Dak was night & day better his Sr year compared to his Jr year.

RocketDawg
04-07-2016, 06:35 AM
I've heard it Fitz job and everybody knows it- but the coaches are keep up the pushing "competition"

From there- it's Staley and Tiano battling

Is that Jacksonville State (in Alabama) or Jackson State?

RiverCityDawg
04-07-2016, 08:37 AM
Unless our pass blocking dramatically improves, we're going to need the guy who can make the quickest reads (experience), has the best feet in the pocket, and has escapability to pick up yards on the ground. All of that points to Fitz. Staley's advantage in arm strength becomes less a factor when he has less time to throw. He also currently has the worst footwork out of the four, which doesn't bode well when the pocket breaks down.

Political Hack
04-07-2016, 08:44 AM
Unless our pass blocking dramatically improves, we're going to need the guy who can make the quickest reads (experience), has the best feet in the pocket, and has escapability to pick up yards on the ground. All of that points to Fitz. Staley's advantage in arm strength becomes less a factor when he has less time to throw. He also currently has the worst footwork out of the four, which doesn't bode well when the pocket breaks down.

Fitz's legs bring a different dynamic than Elijah. E could be the best pocket QB in the SEC but with our OL they may have to play Fitz regardless. Thank God the man has legs the size of most people's waist. I actually think he could be a better runner than Dak was. I don't know if he has the vision to run to open space like Dak did, but he's going to be faster, heavier, and just as durable IMO.

BB30
04-07-2016, 08:53 AM
Man, it is great knowing we have 3 talented QBs on the roster for a change. Amazing how far we have come at the QB position in recent years

Lumpy Chucklelips
04-07-2016, 09:13 AM
Is Tiano a lefty or righty?

Coach34
04-07-2016, 09:19 AM
Yeah- Fitz's mobility compared to Staley is a definite advantage with the OL we are putting out there

Tbonewannabe
04-07-2016, 09:27 AM
Man, it is great knowing we have 3 talented QBs on the roster for a change. Amazing how far we have come at the QB position in recent years

The only time I can remember having more than 1 SEC level QBs was with Madkin and Fant. Most of the time we haven't even had a SEC level QB and now we have 3. That is one reason why I would give Mullen some slack. He knows how to evaluate and develop the most important position in football. It is kind of like having one of the best pitching coaches in the country. If you can develop that one position then you at least have a chance in every game.

BankerDog
04-07-2016, 10:28 AM
It's Fitz job to lose. Stanley is nowhere close and that's coming from people on the team. Same guys who told me this, also said Mullen is in love with Tiano and he actually wants him to grow up quick so he can be the starter. Tiano picked apart the defense in the fall as scout team QB.

Coach007
04-07-2016, 10:30 AM
I agree that this is the best MSU has had ... ever!

maroonmania
04-07-2016, 11:00 AM
So the only consensus here seems to be that Fitz is the likely #1. Lots of different opinions on where Staley, Tiano and Williams are in the pecking order. I will be surprised if Williams ends up any better than 3rd in the Fall and most likely 4th. He gets a lot of credit his true FR year for the Ark and UNM games but realistically other than the OT TD run at Ark he really didn't do much. Russell made the plays at Ark and the only score we had against UNM in the Egg Bowl until Dak came in was a 30 yd TD drive on a short field after a Wallace INT. Add that to the fact that Williams did not play well the Fall of 2014 and the recent Spring scrimmage and it just seems Williams is not really an SEC caliber QB.

chef dixon
04-07-2016, 11:08 AM
Of course everyone thinks Fitz is a done deal. Yes he looked alright against Troy, but I'm not ready to crown him in spring ball. We will not know our starter until the end of fall camp at the earliest. People seem to have had a foregone negative conclusion about Staley for no more valid reasons than they are ready to crown Fitz.

Jarius
04-07-2016, 11:09 AM
I will say that Staley looked better than a lot of experts said he looked Saturday (to me at least). I didn't see a huge difference in him and Fitz.

chef dixon
04-07-2016, 11:15 AM
Also I would like to add that v. Troy we did not really move the ball consistently at all, which is concerning to me. Fitz threw one nice deep ball and another decent one that Gray made an incredible play on. Other than that, we pretty much stalled against one of the worst teams in D1. Only 336 yards of total offense. Not saying Fitz will not be improved and effective, just saying we are jumping the gun in thinkings he's light years ahead of the competition.

Reason2succeed
04-07-2016, 11:19 AM
I hate to bring up the black "athletic" QB switching to WR because that seems to happen all the time. But with our lack of an X Receiver and the success of the ex-QB at Ohio State which runs the same offense as us do any of you think that Staley would be able to make that transition? I know he has the height to be a great X. He played basketball so he should have the soft hands and ability to box out like Bear had. What I don't know is about his straight line speed and his agility to make cuts. What say ye?

HancockCountyDog
04-07-2016, 11:23 AM
I hate to bring up the black "athletic" QB switching to WR because that seems to happen all the time. But with our lack of an X Refeiver and the success of the X-QB at Ohio State which runs the same offense as us do any of you think that Staley would be able to make that transition? I know he has the height to be a great X. He played basketball so he should have the soft hands and ability to box out like Bear had. What I don't know if about his straight line speed and his agility to make cuts. What say ye?

There is zero chance of this happening.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-07-2016, 11:25 AM
There is zero chance of this happening.

-100 chance

Coach34
04-07-2016, 11:30 AM
Staley is not fast enough to play WR. Fitz is a much better runner. Staley is a drop back passer that can run a little

Dawg61
04-07-2016, 11:34 AM
Greg McElroy says Fitz is the clear #1. Not even close right now.

Maroons
04-07-2016, 12:34 PM
I will say that Staley looked better than a lot of experts said he looked Saturday (to me at least). I didn't see a huge difference in him and Fitz.

With the exception of a few passes, I thought Staley was pretty inaccurate. He has far and away the most pure arm talent though. He does seem to be a little too aloof and carefree.

Fitz has more command of the offense and obviously brings the option game. He's #1 but the competition for #2 will be fun to watch. Williams is a distant 4th but an excellent 4th if he sticks around.

Jarius
04-07-2016, 12:57 PM
With the exception of a few passes, I thought Staley was pretty inaccurate. He has far and away the most pure arm talent though. He does seem to be a little too aloof and carefree.

Fitz has more command of the offense and obviously brings the option game. He's #1 but the competition for #2 will be fun to watch. Williams is a distant 4th but an excellent 4th if he sticks around.

I left after the first hour, so you may know better than me. The first hour, Fitz looked average if we are being honest. Staley didn't burn it up, but he looked pretty on par with Fitz, and a little better if you ask me. I can't speak to what happened after I left for the baseball game. I do think that our oline had something to do with all of our qb play Saturday. The pass blocking was scary. I also think that Fitz has more escapability and will probably be the best option if the oline doesn't gel.

Reason2succeed
04-07-2016, 01:31 PM
So, is Staley going to be satisfied being a back up quarterback or is he a transfer risk?

Roy Munson
04-07-2016, 01:52 PM
It's Fitz job to lose. Stanley is nowhere close and that's coming from people on the team. Same guys who told me this, also said Mullen is in love with Tiano and he actually wants him to grow up quick so he can be the starter. Tiano picked apart the defense in the fall as scout team QB.

Tiano is ******* guy according to those on the team.

Jarius
04-07-2016, 02:08 PM
So, is Staley going to be satisfied being a back up quarterback or is he a transfer risk?

I don't want to cause any rift, but follow his father on Twitter if you want the answer to that. I would bet a lot
of money that Staley won't stay here as a backup.

War Machine Dawg
04-07-2016, 02:44 PM
Of course everyone thinks Fitz is a done deal. Yes he looked alright against Troy, but I'm not ready to crown him in spring ball. We will not know our starter until the end of fall camp at the earliest. People seem to have had a foregone negative conclusion about Staley for no more valid reasons than they are ready to crown Fitz.

Bingo. This will be a battle all the way into the first game or two of the season. Fitz and Staley will both play. Most here just have a hate on for Staley because he tried to play basketball and didn't graduate HS early. That's it. When he's actually been put into a game and allowed to throw, he threw one of the best passes of the season - better than almost all of Fitz's throws. This competition will be a war. I think Fitz probably edges out Staley early, but it's closer than most of the so-called experts here want people to believe.

Tbonewannabe
04-07-2016, 03:37 PM
Bingo. This will be a battle all the way into the first game or two of the season. Fitz and Staley will both play. Most here just have a hate on for Staley because he tried to play basketball and didn't graduate HS early. That's it. When he's actually been put into a game and allowed to throw, he threw one of the best passes of the season - better than almost all of Fitz's throws. This competition will be a war. I think Fitz probably edges out Staley early, but it's closer than most of the so-called experts here want people to believe.

Staley would have to be a lot better than Fitz to start over him at this point. Fitz has been practicing almost a year longer and seemed to try his best to copy Dak every way he could. Most people just think Staley can't overtake him for the job especially when you throw in his injuries and flirting with basketball. I want to see both. I think Staley has the size, arm, and mobility to be similar to Cam. Fitz is quicker but doesn't quite have the arm and weight of Staley. Although everyone seems to think Tiano is the best combination of the two. It is a great problem to have.

maroonmania
04-07-2016, 05:08 PM
Staley would have to be a lot better than Fitz to start over him at this point. Fitz has been practicing almost a year longer and seemed to try his best to copy Dak every way he could. Most people just think Staley can't overtake him for the job especially when you throw in his injuries and flirting with basketball. I want to see both. I think Staley has the size, arm, and mobility to be similar to Cam. Fitz is quicker but doesn't quite have the arm and weight of Staley. Although everyone seems to think Tiano is the best combination of the two. It is a great problem to have.

Fitz's arm may not be as strong as Staley's in a direct one on one comparison but it should not be implied that Fitz's arm strength is a liability because its not. I would go so far as to say Fitz has better arm strength than the vast majority of college QBs. As long as you have adequate arm strength, excelling as a college QB has MUCH more to do with decision making and accuracy than it does arm strength. Danny Weurffel and many others have demonstrated that over the years. Heck, even Dak this year was so good because of how much his decision making and accuracy had improved every year he was here. And there is no doubt that Fitz is the better runner over Staley. Now, Tiano I've never seen play so I don't know what to really expect from him.

Tbonewannabe
04-07-2016, 05:20 PM
Fitz's arm may not be as strong as Staley's in a direct one on one comparison but it should not be implied that Fitz's arm strength is a liability because its not. I would go so far as to say Fitz has better arm strength than the vast majority of college QBs. As long as you have adequate arm strength, excelling as a college QB has MUCH more to do with decision making and accuracy than it does arm strength. Danny Weurffel and many others have demonstrated that over the years. Heck, even Dak this year was so good because of how much his decision making and accuracy had improved every year he was here. And there is no doubt that Fitz is the better runner over Staley. Now, Tiano I've never seen play so I don't know what to really expect from him.

Dak has said Fitz has a better arm than he does.