PDA

View Full Version : What's everyone's take on Jamal Peters to WR?

HoopsCoach21
04-06-2016, 11:05 AM
I didn't think much about it at first. I thought he was just running some routes due to Gray and Ross being hurt and we might have a small package for him. But I just read the article PJ has on him and it says he has moved to WR for the rest of the spring.

Kinda makes me nervous for a couple reasons. I think he has the potential to be a stud at safety and taking an entire spring worth of practices away has to slow that development. Also the move worries me about our WR position. I know we missed on a couple outside guys in recruiting and maybe it's a bigger concern than I thought to the coaches.

Jack Lambert
04-06-2016, 11:09 AM
It doesn't make me nervous.

msstate7
04-06-2016, 11:10 AM
We either really like our safety depth of really hate our wr depth... Or peters is just better at wr

BeardoMSU
04-06-2016, 11:19 AM
I remember LSU doing a similar thing with Peterson

Coach34
04-06-2016, 11:47 AM
We have no depth at WR thanks to Bear leaving early and misses in recruiting. It's very alarming we are taking a guy that many thought was going to be an NFL-caliber SS and moving him to WR.

Its situations like this that magnify our lack of recruiting. 2014 was the outlier- not the norm. The norm for us is winning 6-8 games- and that is what our recruiting is going to mostly limit us to

Ifyouonlyknew
04-06-2016, 11:50 AM
-. The norm for us is winning 6-8 games-

Yes & no. He's won 9+ games as many times as he's won 6-8 games.

Coach34
04-06-2016, 11:54 AM
Yes & no. He's won 9+ games as many times as he's won 6-8 games.

Thats incorrect- we don't count bowl games because those are extra. We are talking 12 game seasons.

We have only won more than 8 once
We won 6 in 2011 and 2013
We won 8 in 2010, 2012, and 2015

We don't recruit badly- but we don't recruit well enough to really challenge that 10 game threshold

Noah11
04-06-2016, 12:01 PM
Moving peters to wr is a good and bad thing. He has the potential to be a NFL caliber safety but it will take a few years. He is a better wr than safety right now but long term he will be a better safety, so I guess Mullen is trying to temporarily create more depth at wr.

maroonmania
04-06-2016, 12:07 PM
Thats incorrect- we don't count bowl games because those are extra. We are talking 12 game seasons.

We have only won more than 8 once
We won 6 in 2011 and 2013
We won 8 in 2010, 2012, and 2015

We don't recruit badly- but we don't recruit well enough to really challenge that 10 game threshold

I agree with you. We have won more than 8 once and less than 6 once under Mullen. I would consider both outliers at this point. You can only "coach up" so much and it didn't seem like our OL got coached up at all last year. We've got to get out of the lower level of OL/DL recruiting in the SEC to do anything more than what we are doing. I actually think 6 to 7 wins would be the expectation this year given the expected drop in QB play and a still very suspect OL.

Irondawg
04-06-2016, 12:22 PM
It worries me for a couple of reasons:

1) Given our safety play the past few seasons I'd be way more worried about that than depth at WR. Moving him for the rest of the spring basically tells me that the coaching staff determined he wasn't a good fit on defense for some reason. I refuse to believe it's because they just like our depth at safety.

2) Or Dan stole him from the defense because he hates his WR depth and wants to see if he's more impactful at WR

#1 is bad because it means the guy we were hoping would develop into an all-SEC safety is not gong to be that guy. #2 is bad because of how bad our safeties are been and if he's any better than the guy replacing him we need him at S more than WR.

That said maybe they are geniuses and he'll turn into an all-SEC receiver

Beaver
04-06-2016, 12:25 PM
2014 was the outlier- not the norm. The norm for us is winning 6-8 games- and that is what our recruiting is going to mostly limit us to

And this is the tough thing about about being an MSU fan... We're in a division with Bama, Auburn, LSU, and A&M - all who have much more money, pedigree, and in-state talent. Arkansas is the only school in its state, and OM cheats. While I want wish the norm was to win 9-10 games a season, it's just not realistic.

HoopsDawg
04-06-2016, 12:33 PM
We have no depth at WR thanks to Bear leaving early and misses in recruiting. It's very alarming we are taking a guy that many thought was going to be an NFL-caliber SS and moving him to WR.

Its situations like this that magnify our lack of recruiting. 2014 was the outlier- not the norm. The norm for us is winning 6-8 games- and that is what our recruiting is going to mostly limit us to

This is true plus Ross and Gray are injured. We are about to go through a 2 year stretch of 6-7 wins.

confucius say
04-06-2016, 12:36 PM
Did I miss where this was permanent? I was under the impression, perhaps wrongly, that his primary position was to remain safety.

HoopsDawg
04-06-2016, 12:38 PM
Did I miss where this was permanent? I was under the impression, perhaps wrongly, that his primary position was to remain safety.

It will be.

msstate7
04-06-2016, 12:42 PM

If so, I'm really confused. Peters as talented as he is wasn't that good last year. If he's expected to be a safety, he needs to be working on it

miketice
04-06-2016, 01:02 PM
Bowl games count on every season record I have ever seen

mic
04-06-2016, 01:05 PM
Everyone pump the breaks on Peters
This may just be a spring thing
And with the WR core... It's still better than it had ever been here .. We have 2 NFL guys in Ross and gray .. But if Gray goes pro and some of these incoming freshman athletes don't make it as WR next 2017 will be a thin group at WR ..

smootness
04-06-2016, 01:07 PM

We're jumping to several conclusions.

Perhaps he either won't be a WR long-term, or we realize that Bryant and McLaurin are actually better safeties and Peters can actually be a better WR than safety? Recruiting rankings aren't always correct.

Coach34
04-06-2016, 01:15 PM
And that is why I push to add for us to do something different in OL- WHAT WE ARE DOING NOW IS NOT WORKING.

Let's attack the MidWest and Sell playing in the SEC. Doing the same thing over and over isn't working

HoopsDawg
04-06-2016, 01:21 PM
And with the WR core... It's still better than it had ever been here .. We have 2 NFL guys in Ross and gray .. But if Gray goes pro and some of these incoming freshman athletes don't make it as WR next 2017 will be a thin group at WR ..

Not sure where this Gray and NFL talk is coming from though he did have a couple of nice catches last year.

HoopsDawg
04-06-2016, 01:21 PM
And that is why I push to add for us to do something different in OL- WHAT WE ARE DOING NOW IS NOT WORKING.

Let's attack the MidWest and Sell playing in the SEC. Doing the same thing over and over isn't working

I just don't see it getting better under Hev.

Bubb Rubb
04-06-2016, 01:22 PM

I've been saying this for years. There are tons of OL prospects in Big Ten country that would love to come play in the SEC.

Dawg61
04-06-2016, 01:37 PM
Learning the ins and outs at WR can be very helpful for a defensive back. Richard Sherman was a WR at Stanford.

Coach34
04-06-2016, 02:17 PM
Well let's ponder this:

If we plan to keep Peters on D- why in the hell would we move him to offense when we are installing a new defense???

War Machine Dawg
04-06-2016, 02:17 PM
If this is a permanent move, I hate it. It's one of the dumbest coaching decisions I've ever seen. If we're going to ridicule Freezus for declaring what's-his-face an NFL OT then playing him everywhere but OT, we have to call a spade a spade. Dan moving an NFL S to WR is just as damn dumb. Peters, Bryant, and McLaurin would be the best S group in the SEC and maybe the nation. Why **** with that? We've got plenty of WRs. Maybe not a ton of elite guys, but plenty of bodies who can play and contribute.

smootness
04-06-2016, 02:20 PM
If this is a permanent move, I hate it. It's one of the dumbest coaching decisions I've ever seen. If we're going to ridicule Freezus for declaring what's-his-face an NFL OT then playing him everywhere but OT, we have to call a spade a spade. Dan moving an NFL S to WR is just as damn dumb. Peters, Bryant, and McLaurin would be the best S group in the SEC and maybe the nation. Why **** with that? We've got plenty of WRs. Maybe not a ton of elite guys, but plenty of bodies who can play and contribute.

Again, why have 3 great safeties and a hole at WR when you can have 2 great safeties and a great WR, if Peters is potentially great at WR?

What if Peters is even better at WR than at S? We're basically assuming this is stupid simply because we assume the recruiting profiles were correct. That doesn't seem smart. What if Peters is an NFL WR?

Ifyouonlyknew
04-06-2016, 02:26 PM
Thing is Jamal best defensive position isn't at Safety. He's more suited for a Dawg back/OLB position. He should never be more than 15yds away from the LOS. He's a Tony Conner clone. He's not a centerfielder sit back & read type of guy. He's a downhill in the box aggressive kid

HoopsDawg
04-06-2016, 02:50 PM
Thing is Jamal best defensive position isn't at Safety. He's more suited for a Dawg back/OLB position. He should never be more than 15yds away from the LOS. He's a Tony Conner clone. He's not a centerfielder sit back & read type of guy. He's a downhill in the box aggressive kid

Agree with this. That's why I was hoping for a 4-2-5 with Peters playing the Tony Connor role. Perfect spot for him.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-06-2016, 02:56 PM
Agree with this. That's why I was hoping for a 4-2-5 with Peters playing the Tony Connor role. Perfect spot for him.

Yep that's where he got most of his P/T the 2nd half of last season at in that position. Since Sirmon says he'll be multiple I hope he'll put Peters in a position like that some when we go 4 man fronts.

Coach34
04-06-2016, 03:03 PM
We have 2 Sr WR starters and with a big year- Gray could declare. Our back-up WR's are suspect at best. Again, if we are making this move WHILE INSTALLING A NEW DEFENSE- then I'm of the opinion this move is being made with the mindset that it could be permanent

HancockCountyDog
04-06-2016, 03:12 PM
Not sure where this Gray and NFL talk is coming from though he did have a couple of nice catches last year.

I wsa wondering the same thing - this is just crazy talk.

I was worried that something like this would happen with Peters. He should be used the way the bears use Tony Conner. They are very comparable athletes. Conner isn't great in coverage, and I don't think Peters will ever be considered a blanket safety, but they are both tremendous in run support and I don't see why we aren't doing that.

Our WR depth is pretty awful right now, and we don't have an impact WR coming in this year (**** YOU AJ) and we didn't really sign any impact WR's the past few years to where if we don't move him now, 2017 is going to be a poor year at WR.

Im going to lose my mind if Peters moves to WR and catches 20 balls for 280 yards and a few TD's this season and doesn't play on defense. It will be a complete waste if that happens.

HancockCountyDog
04-06-2016, 03:14 PM
Also, out of the two young safeties - McLaurin and Peters, I thought Peters was ahead of McLaurin. My guess is that you see Coman/Bryant at safety with McLaurin playing in spot duty. I still think McLaurin needs to move to LB.

smootness
04-06-2016, 03:48 PM
I think Gray has NFL ability. When, or if, he ever realizes that potential is up in the air, but there's nothing that says it can't happen this year. So I don't think it's completely out of the question that he could leave after this year.

Probably not likely, but not impossible.

maroonmania
04-06-2016, 03:56 PM
We have 2 Sr WR starters and with a big year- Gray could declare. Our back-up WR's are suspect at best. Again, if we are making this move WHILE INSTALLING A NEW DEFENSE- then I'm of the opinion this move is being made with the mindset that it could be permanent

Not only suspect, they are just too few in numbers for the 2 outside receiver spots. Fred Ross and Fred Brown you know are gone after this year. It would really hurt if we somehow lost Gray. Behind that all you have is Jesse Jackson, who so far hasn't lived up to his billing, and a bunch of slot guys (Dear, Thomas, Mixon) and a couple of coverted guys like Myles (former slot) and Spivey (signed as an ATH). Just not much to hang your hat on with that outside group.

Coach34
04-06-2016, 04:01 PM
Some guys are just looking for any reason to declare- and this will be Gray's 4th season in college. A big year and he could easily declare

fishwater99
04-06-2016, 04:47 PM

You forgot about Dear...

djaymsu5
04-06-2016, 04:56 PM

100% agree. This is just Dan trying to reinvent the wheel again. He was the number 2 safety in the country out of highschool for gods sake.

djaymsu5
04-06-2016, 04:58 PM
My biggest concern with this is if the move is permanent then we have to see more Deontae Evans at safety than we have to and that's a huge problem.

maroonmania
04-06-2016, 05:03 PM
100% agree. This is just Dan trying to reinvent the wheel again. He was the number 2 safety in the country out of highschool for gods sake.

Come on guys, we have to have a little faith in competent coaches here. I find it hard to believe that after evaluating him all last Fall at Safety that if they thought he was an All-American candidate there that he would be yanked permanently over to just be a second rate WR. Especially right now because our real need at WR is going to probably come in 2017. First, we don't know if this is permanent, a trial, or if he is possibly going to play both ways.

Dawgcentral
04-06-2016, 05:08 PM
"Let's attack the MidWest and Sell playing in the SEC. Doing the same thing over and over isn't working"

Exactly what I've been telling folks for years. Get some of those guys named Ollie and Sven, with last names that won't fit on the jersey. They spend their time hand-grabbing muskies and pulling locomotives with their teeth.

I was in a bar in Hayward, Wisconsin years ago with a buddy. We were kind of fishing our way up to the Boundary Waters on the Canadian border. I was 6-2 210 and was the 2nd smallest guy in the bar, my friend from Mississippi being the smallest in there.

They play darts well, but I smoked them at the pool tables.

tireddawg
04-06-2016, 06:11 PM
Y'all better not talk bad about Mullen. You might have to eat Dawg61's ass...

Dawg61
04-06-2016, 06:43 PM
Y'all better not talk bad about Mullen. You might have to eat Dawg61's ass...

I laughed. Here's some rep to ease your butthurt.

tireddawg
04-06-2016, 07:02 PM
I laughed. Here's some rep to ease your butthurt.

Glad you laughed. I laughed while typing it. I crack myself up sometimes. My butt eased up after I applied some prep h. Here's to ya...

Dawg61
04-06-2016, 07:24 PM
Glad you laughed. I laughed while typing it. I crack myself up sometimes. My butt eased up after I applied some prep h. Here's to ya...

Lol I'm adding you to my Bulldog gift basket list. Gift basket includes 1 maroon cowbell, 1 tube of Prep h, 1 F**K TSUN warmup jersey, 1 How to Bunt For Power book by Cohen with special instructions from RougeDawg and 1 autographed job application to any one of 128 FBS football head coaching jobs by Danny 2 Gloves himself.

tireddawg
04-06-2016, 07:36 PM
Lol I'm adding you to my Bulldog gift basket list. Gift basket includes 1 maroon cowbell, 1 tube of Prep h, 1 F**K TSUN warmup jersey, 1 How to Bunt For Power book by Cohen with special instructions from RougeDawg and 1 autographed job application to any one of 128 FBS football head coaching jobs by Danny 2 Gloves himself.

I'll take it. But could you add 2 tubes of pre h? Sorry to hijack the thread fellas..

Todd4State
04-06-2016, 11:29 PM
My thought is if we are going to insist on playing Coman over Peters, at least we're doing something to get value out of Peters.

Of course, I would just start Peters and Bryant and bench Coman.

mic
04-07-2016, 06:01 AM
I wsa wondering the same thing - this is just crazy talk.

I was worried that something like this would happen with Peters. He should be used the way the bears use Tony Conner. They are very comparable athletes. Conner isn't great in coverage, and I don't think Peters will ever be considered a blanket safety, but they are both tremendous in run support and I don't see why we aren't doing that.

Our WR depth is pretty awful right now, and we don't have an impact WR coming in this year (**** YOU AJ) and we didn't really sign any impact WR's the past few years to where if we don't move him now, 2017 is going to be a poor year at WR.

Im going to lose my mind if Peters moves to WR and catches 20 balls for 280 yards and a few TD's this season and doesn't play on defense. It will be a complete waste if that happens.

I'm not saying that Gray will or should after the season, but I bet he has a breakout year, he is NFL talent, and he will be eligible...

We have some incoming freshman athletes and Couch that may turn out to be very good SEC calibure WR.. And let's not forget about J Jackson if he can finally stay healthy he could have an impact this year and going forward.
But yes I hope Peters moves back to the defensive side of the ball, and we HAVE to land a can't miss type WR ( Fred Ross) this year In Recruiting.. Either a Frosh or juco that can impact from day one... Going 0-3 with our big targets hurt last year for sure...

Bothrops
04-07-2016, 06:22 AM
I personally wouldn't mind if Peters starts at WR. We missed 2 needed targets in recruiting. Peters would work out very well there.

smootness
04-07-2016, 06:28 AM
What if Peters is potentially Tony Conner as a safety or Kelvin Benjamin as a WR? I would take him at either position, and we will likely need him more at WR.

Reason2succeed
04-07-2016, 08:29 AM
I am going to trust the guys that watch practice every day and have hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars riding on the results.

Didn't Mullen promise JP the opportunity to play on both sides of the ball? I seem to remember that from his recruitment.

If he is going to make the transition then we need to find out this spring so he can work with the QBs all summer. If he shows up in the fall and sucks then we move him back to safety and he can't say we didn't give him a shot. However, if he becomes a good receiver he can then begin playing both positions and he locks up his NFL stock by playing both ways. I'm just not hearing the downside to this.

starkvegasdawg
04-07-2016, 09:56 AM
For what is worth, here is Peter's take on the move:

Personally, Peters doesn't have a preference and is keeping a team-first mindset when his permanent position is decided upon by the Bulldogs' staff.

"It is just a wait-and-see type of deal," said Peters. "It really don't matter where I play. I will do whatever it takes for the team. I do like to hit people and I like to score touchdowns. But like I said, I will do whatever is best for the team."

HancockCountyDog
04-07-2016, 11:29 AM
For what is worth, here is Peter's take on the move:

Jamal is a great kid, he is going to say all the right things.

Im just saying if he is backup WR next year as opposed to an in the box safety, Im going to be disappointed. Its a big decision, with one of our better athletes.