PDA

View Full Version : Clarion Ledger's perpetual lie "filing an open records request"

Political Hack
04-06-2016, 10:06 AM
... Has it ever been followed up on when t related to OM? I can't ever remember a follow up after they throw that BS line out. It's their go-to plan when they know they need to report on something and then they throw their hands up and say "we tried."

When they filed a records request we all know that means "you won't ever see anything substantial about this in the clarion ledger again (unless another news outlets shows us up)."

Why any State fan would buy that rag is beyond me. Do not click a page. Do not buy the newspapers. DO NOT support businesses that advertise with them... And if you do, tell them it'll stop if they continue to give the CL money. Enough is enough people. Do something about it.

MSUDawg99
04-06-2016, 10:09 AM
... Has it ever been followed up on when t related to OM? I can't ever remember a follow up after they throw that BS line out. It's their go-to plan when they know they need to report on something and then they throw their hands up and say "we tried."

When they filed a records request we all know that means "you won't ever see anything substantial about this in the clarion ledger again (unless another news outlets shows us up)."

Why any State fan would buy that rag is beyond me. Do not click a page. Do not buy the newspapers. DO NOT support businesses that advertise with them... And if you do, tell them it'll stop if they continue to give the CL money. Enough is enough people. Do something about it.

And for God's sakes whatever you do, don't bring that shit over here! That outta get a thread locked in a heartbeat.

Commercecomet24
04-06-2016, 10:13 AM

THIS 100%! Don't support them in any way!

Jack Lambert
04-06-2016, 11:06 AM
And for God's sakes whatever you do, don't bring that shit over here! That outta get a thread locked in a heartbeat.

First of all the Moderator can do what he wants to do. Second you need to know what the enemy is doing. You can go to their web site all you want and read for free. Yes the CL is the enemy of Miss State and we need to hold them accountable when possible. Don't pay do use their site. Don't buy their print. But if you get into their site for free and read do it and share what you read. I do it all the time and don't have a problem with someone else doing it.

The Cl Writers and Editors are ass holes.

starkvegasdawg
04-06-2016, 11:18 AM
I have no idea who their advertisers are because I never go there. If someone who does wants to post a list then feel free.

Political Hack
04-06-2016, 11:23 AM
I have no idea who their advertisers are because I never go there. If someone who does wants to post a list then feel free.

That's not a bad idea. I don't know either because I won't visit the site or pick up that paper.

sandwolf
04-06-2016, 11:27 AM
You can go to their web site all you want and read for free.

It doesn't cost you anything, but by contributing to the traffic on their web page, you are helping them generate revenue.

Jack Lambert
04-06-2016, 12:11 PM
It doesn't cost you anything, but by contributing to the traffic on their web page, you are helping them generate revenue.

don't you want to know what they are saying? Someone needs monitor their asses.

MSUDawg99
04-06-2016, 12:15 PM
First of all the Moderator can do what he wants to do. Second you need to know what the enemy is doing. You can go to their web site all you want and read for free. Yes the CL is the enemy of Miss State and we need to hold them accountable when possible. Don't pay do use their site. Don't buy their print. But if you get into their site for free and read do it and share what you read. I do it all the time and don't have a problem with someone else doing it.

I'm well aware of all that you just said. I have read their articles in the past for free. I've never once bought their print. But you're missing the point. When you give them page clicks (free, or not), you're "paying" to keep them in biz.

Dawg61
04-06-2016, 12:42 PM
Where do we stand with increasing MSU's media degrees/programs. Nothing is going to change till MSU has grads filling these jobs instead of Old Misses alumni. I'm guessing nothing has happened. Crickets...

War Machine Dawg
04-06-2016, 02:03 PM
I'm well aware of all that you just said. I have read their articles in the past for free. I've never once bought their print. But you're missing the point. When you give them page clicks (free, or not), you're "paying" to keep them in biz.

Some people can't understand this concept. And others are so obsessed with Northern Miss and what they might be saying about us, they'll continue to go over there regardless. Jack strikes me as one of those in the latter category. Personally, so long as we're beating that ass on the field, I don't really give a damn what they say or think. But much like the GOP Establishment types want the Democrats to love them, some of our own fans want Northern Miss to love them. **** that. Never gonna happen, so you might as well stop trying.

MSUDawg99
04-06-2016, 04:00 PM
don't you want to know what they are saying? Someone needs monitor their asses.

Why would I want to pay (with page clicks) someone that's constantly bashing us while also simultaneously sunshine pumping our opponent out the ass? Umm...yeah, no.

archdog
04-07-2016, 09:46 AM

Advertising dollars are figured off of number of visitors. By even going to their website, you might as well buy their paper and support their advertisers. Same thing. Actually in this day and age, going to their website may help them equally or maybe more than buying their toilet paper propaganda rag.

MadDawg
04-07-2016, 10:01 AM
I've been wondering a while why the Clarion Liar or other news agencies are not suing om to force them to comply with the law. So I looked up what is the penalty for not complying with Mississippi's FOI law. Here's what I found, and if this is true, who the hell can blame om for not complying. $100 fine? LOL. That's like 15 minutes of 1 recruiting visit.

Freedom of Information in Mississippi

The information on this page is provided courtesy of the Mississippi Center for Freedom of Information, a partner with the Mississippi Press Association in preserving and expanding open meetings and public records laws in the state. For more information on the Open Meetings and Public Records acts, please visit the MCFOI website.

Mississippi Public Records Act
MCA ? 25-61-1 et seq.

1. What entities are covered?
Every ?public body,? which includes any department, bureau, division or agency of the state or a political subdivision thereof, and any municipal corporation and any other entity created by the Constitution or by law, executive order, ordinance or resolution. Records of appointed and elected official are covered. The State Legislature is not.

2. What documents are covered?
Any documentary materials, regardless of physical form or characteristics, used in conducting business of any public body or required to be maintained by any public body.

3. What records are exempt from the Act?
a. records developed by judges or their aides;
b. records developed by juries;
c. personnel records and employment applications;
d. employment examination questions and answers;
e. letters of recommendation for employment by public body;
f. work product of any attorney representing a public body, related to actual or prospective litigation;
g. individual tax records;
h. appraisal information concerning the sale or purchase of real or personal property for public purposes;
i. future academic examination questions and answers;
j. archaeological data maintained by the Mississippi Department of Archives and History;
k. records maintained by public hospitals except the official minutes of the board of trustees and financial reports filed as required by statute;
l. records of the State Bureau of Vital Statistics of the Mississippi Department of Health, which are of no legitimate and tangible interest to the requester;
m. records of the Department of Economic Development containing client information about development projects;
n. records of public bodies primarily engaged in the enforcement of criminal laws. (NOT EXEMPT: Records consisting only of identifying data and notations of arrest, the nature and disposition of criminal charges, sentencing, confinement, release, and parole and probation status.);
o. licensure applications;
p. recommendations in the possession of any state board which is authorized to hold examinations and grant licenses or certificates to practice any profession, respecting application of a professional license;
q. future licensing test questions;
r. commercial and financial information of a proprietary nature required to be submitted to a public body, except for information submitted to a regulatory agency by a public utility that is related to the establishment of or changes in rates regulated by the public body;
s. noncontroverted case medical reports of the Mississippi Workers? Compensation Commission;
t. certain records compiled in coroners? investigations;
u. names of people who have gotten, or been denied, concealed weapons permits, for 45 days after issuance or denial of such permits; and
v. any records specifically declared by another statute to be confidential or privileged (e.g. 911, gaming data).

Exemptions are permissive. The exemptions are not mandatory, and release is discretionary with public official.

4. Procedure, time, costs and enforcement
Requester should submit a written request for public records, specifically outlining the records that are being requested, and the desired format (e.g., paper or computer disk). If the agency has no written guidelines on complying with the law, the request must be honored in one working day. If the agency does have guidelines, the agency can take up to 14 working days to respond to a request.
If the agency denies all or part of the request, it must explain the denial in writing. Exempt portions of records must be redacted, with non-exempt portions released.

A public body may charge reasonable costs for the actual cost of searching, reviewing, duplicating and, if needed, mailing the records. In no case can the cost be more than ?actual cost.? The decision to charge for public records is discretionary.

If a public body refuses to release records, the requester first should make informal attempts to resolve differences. If those attempts fail, suit may be filed in the chancery court of the county where the public body is located. The court can provide injunctive relief or writs of mandamus, as well as impose a civil fine not to exceed $100. A prevailing party can be reimbursed for reasonable costs of bringing suit.

drunkernhelldawg
04-07-2016, 12:52 PM
That's not a bad idea. I don't know either because I won't visit the site or pick up that paper.

Great. We already have an incredibly weak media and a thinking man like you is set on making it weaker. Great idea. Boycotts are just wonderful.

drunkernhelldawg
04-07-2016, 12:55 PM
I've been wondering a while why the Clarion Liar or other news agencies are not suing om to force them to comply with the law. So I looked up what is the penalty for not complying with Mississippi's FOI law. Here's what I found, and if this is true, who the hell can blame om for not complying. $100 fine? LOL. That's like 15 minutes of 1 recruiting visit.

The information on this page is provided courtesy of the Mississippi Center for Freedom of Information, a partner with the Mississippi Press Association in preserving and expanding open meetings and public records laws in the state. For more information on the Open Meetings and Public Records acts, please visit the MCFOI website.

Mississippi Public Records Act
MCA ? 25-61-1 et seq.

1. What entities are covered?
Every ?public body,? which includes any department, bureau, division or agency of the state or a political subdivision thereof, and any municipal corporation and any other entity created by the Constitution or by law, executive order, ordinance or resolution. Records of appointed and elected official are covered. The State Legislature is not.

2. What documents are covered?
Any documentary materials, regardless of physical form or characteristics, used in conducting business of any public body or required to be maintained by any public body.

3. What records are exempt from the Act?
a. records developed by judges or their aides;
b. records developed by juries;
c. personnel records and employment applications;
d. employment examination questions and answers;
e. letters of recommendation for employment by public body;
f. work product of any attorney representing a public body, related to actual or prospective litigation;
g. individual tax records;
h. appraisal information concerning the sale or purchase of real or personal property for public purposes;
i. future academic examination questions and answers;
j. archaeological data maintained by the Mississippi Department of Archives and History;
k. records maintained by public hospitals except the official minutes of the board of trustees and financial reports filed as required by statute;
l. records of the State Bureau of Vital Statistics of the Mississippi Department of Health, which are of no legitimate and tangible interest to the requester;
m. records of the Department of Economic Development containing client information about development projects;
n. records of public bodies primarily engaged in the enforcement of criminal laws. (NOT EXEMPT: Records consisting only of identifying data and notations of arrest, the nature and disposition of criminal charges, sentencing, confinement, release, and parole and probation status.);
o. licensure applications;
p. recommendations in the possession of any state board which is authorized to hold examinations and grant licenses or certificates to practice any profession, respecting application of a professional license;
q. future licensing test questions;
r. commercial and financial information of a proprietary nature required to be submitted to a public body, except for information submitted to a regulatory agency by a public utility that is related to the establishment of or changes in rates regulated by the public body;
s. noncontroverted case medical reports of the Mississippi Workers? Compensation Commission;
t. certain records compiled in coroners? investigations;
u. names of people who have gotten, or been denied, concealed weapons permits, for 45 days after issuance or denial of such permits; and
v. any records specifically declared by another statute to be confidential or privileged (e.g. 911, gaming data).

Exemptions are permissive. The exemptions are not mandatory, and release is discretionary with public official.

4. Procedure, time, costs and enforcement
Requester should submit a written request for public records, specifically outlining the records that are being requested, and the desired format (e.g., paper or computer disk). If the agency has no written guidelines on complying with the law, the request must be honored in one working day. If the agency does have guidelines, the agency can take up to 14 working days to respond to a request.
If the agency denies all or part of the request, it must explain the denial in writing. Exempt portions of records must be redacted, with non-exempt portions released.

A public body may charge reasonable costs for the actual cost of searching, reviewing, duplicating and, if needed, mailing the records. In no case can the cost be more than ?actual cost.? The decision to charge for public records is discretionary.

If a public body refuses to release records, the requester first should make informal attempts to resolve differences. If those attempts fail, suit may be filed in the chancery court of the county where the public body is located. The court can provide injunctive relief or writs of mandamus, as well as impose a civil fine not to exceed $100. A prevailing party can be reimbursed for reasonable costs of bringing suit.

Exactly. Our open records law is a cruel joke. That's why we're always shooting in the dark.

Political Hack
04-07-2016, 05:54 PM
Great. We already have an incredibly weak media and a thinking man like you is set on making it weaker. Great idea. Boycotts are just wonderful.

Not supporting a rag that demeans your university is bad? Please explain!

I'd rather see State fans pull together and support news outlets that don't shit all of over the university they love.

blacklistedbully
04-07-2016, 06:50 PM

The thing to do is file the FOIA request, then when they fail to comply go to a judge, who would likely instruct Ole Miss or their law firm to comply with the FOIA request post-haste, and pay the $100 fine.

If there was still non-compliance, the requester could seek civil contempt charges against Ole Miss and their representation. That could then be an additional, larger fine, not for the FOIA breach, but for Contempt of Court. Now you're also talking possible jail time until they comply. I don't think Ole Miss or their lawyers would want the media hit they would get from something like that.