PDA

View Full Version : Watching Clemson vs Georgia

Lumpy Chucklelips
04-05-2016, 09:51 PM
Clemson has a freshman who just hit his 13 homer of the season. Also currently on a 25 game hitting streak.

Was rated the #2 overall player in country by PG. Enrolled in January, therefore did not play his Sr. season of high school and obviously gave up his possibility to be drafted. Never heard of that one. I guess he just wanted to go to college.

msstate7
04-05-2016, 09:54 PM
Surprised he's not at vandy. Can't help but think Riley would be doing something similar here

messageboardsuperhero
04-05-2016, 10:15 PM
Seth Beer is other-worldly and on a completely different level than even Austin Riley- he is a AAA caliber player at worst right now as an 18 year old. This is basically what it would have looked like had Bryce Harper played at a 4 years school.

Here's something that will make you breathe a sign of relief: there was a time when he was strongly considering going to UM.

BeardoMSU
04-05-2016, 10:20 PM
Here's something that will make you breathe a sign of relief: there was a time when he was strongly considering going to UM.

What could have compelled him to do that?

msstate7
04-05-2016, 10:25 PM
Beer...

.420 avg .520 obp .910 slugging
12 hr 9 k 18 bb

That's decent**

CadaverDawg
04-05-2016, 10:31 PM
Beer...

.420 avg .520 obp .910 slugging
12 hr 9 k 18 bb

That's decent**

Intentionally walk that dude every ab

Todd4State
04-05-2016, 10:32 PM
Seth Beer is other-worldly and on a completely different level than even Austin Riley- he is a AAA caliber player at worst right now as an 18 year old. This is basically what it would have looked like had Bryce Harper played at a 4 years school.

He also considered us too. He went to Clemson because of his girlfriend from what I understand.

msstate7
04-05-2016, 10:34 PM

He'll end up in our regional. Daniel brown will cool his butt off**

CadaverDawg
04-05-2016, 10:39 PM
He'll end up in our regional. Daniel brown will cool his butt off**

Haha, no doubt he will face Brown, Houston, or Tatum with a Super on the line.

BeardoMSU
04-05-2016, 10:58 PM

Then send his mom a fruit and chocolate basket just to be on the safe side.

Jack Lambert
04-06-2016, 08:28 AM
how long is the out field in clemson stadium?

KB21
04-06-2016, 08:33 AM
If he had played his senior year of high school, Seth Beer would have likely been the 3rd overall pick by the Braves.

starkvegasdawg
04-06-2016, 08:43 AM

If he didn't go there then that must mean he hates beautiful campuses.

smootness
04-06-2016, 09:06 AM
What he's doing at Clemson is the craziest thing I've ever seen in college baseball. This is a HS senior putting up better numbers than Kris Bryant did as a college junior, and he's doing it in the ACC.

He may hit .500 as a junior while striking out 5 times all year.

Taog Redloh
04-06-2016, 09:35 AM
Isn't this what Swinarski tried to do?

msstate7
04-06-2016, 09:37 AM
What he's doing at Clemson is the craziest thing I've ever seen in college baseball. This is a HS senior putting up better numbers than Kris Bryant did as a college junior, and he's doing it in the ACC.

He may hit .500 as a junior while striking out 5 times all year.

He better hope Clemson can recruit a big time hitter behind him or he'll be on autopilot to 1b

AlSwearengen
04-06-2016, 10:06 AM
I want to see the girlfriend. Graduated early and turned down no telling how much money as the third overall pick to follow her? Must be pretty strong.

Dawgbite
04-06-2016, 10:24 AM
I want to see the girlfriend. Graduated early and turned down no telling how much money as the third overall pick to follow her? Must be pretty strong.

It's been awhile, but as I recall, that stuff was pretty potent at 18 years of age. I really didn't get serious about money til I was 30.

msstate7
04-06-2016, 10:49 AM
It's been awhile, but as I recall, that stuff was pretty potent at 18 years of age. I really didn't get serious about money til I was 30.

I wouldn't know, but I bet you can pick some serious talent wearing a braves' uniform... More than a Clemson one I would think

smootness
04-06-2016, 01:03 PM
He better hope Clemson can recruit a big time hitter behind him or he'll be on autopilot to 1b

Didn't hurt Bonds too much.

msstate7
04-06-2016, 01:13 PM
Didn't hurt Bonds too much.

Bonds' year he hit 77 hr's, he walked 177 times out of 664 plate appearances (26.7%). Imagine if bonds saw pitches that year... I think it hurt him plenty

ShotgunDawg
04-06-2016, 01:16 PM
So, here's the deal with Seth Beer...

He's a stud, but he's 19 years old (A year older than a High School SR) & has lost some speed over the past year & a half. Due to this, he was probably going to go in middle of the first round this year. Because of this, he decided to enroll in college a year early so that he can get back on correct age track, show he can hit against better competition, & probably go in the top 5 picks after his 3rd year at Clemson.

Good player. Jay Bruce like, but no he isn't a AAA type player right now. He's more of an Andrew Benintendi type player.

msstate7
04-06-2016, 01:22 PM
While we're being wooed by beer and rightfully so, check out this freshman's stats...

.439 avg .508 obp .579 slugging 1087 ops

Pretty good, eh? Well that's our freshman, jake mangum

smootness
04-06-2016, 01:36 PM
While we're being wooed by beer and rightfully so, check out this freshman's stats...

.439 avg .508 obp .579 slugging 1087 ops

Pretty good, eh? Well that's our freshman, jake mangum

Yep, Mangum is killing it. His BA will likely drop some, which will obviously cause the rest of his numbers to come down, but he's going to end up with a fantastic freshman year.

With regard to Beer, Shotgun, have you no shame? Benintendi put up an OPS barely over .700 his first year at Arkansas and then put up an OPS of 1.200 the next year. Great numbers, sure, but still nothing all that close to what Beer's doing. Beer would be the #1 pick if he was eligible for this draft.

ShotgunDawg
04-06-2016, 01:50 PM
Yep, Mangum is killing it. His BA will likely drop some, which will obviously cause the rest of his numbers to come down, but he's going to end up with a fantastic freshman year.

With regard to Beer, Shotgun, have you no shame? Benintendi put up an OPS barely over .700 his first year at Arkansas and then put up an OPS of 1.200 the next year. Great numbers, sure, but still nothing all that close to what Beer's doing. Beer would be the #1 pick if he was eligible for this draft.

Uh, no he would not

Let me restate that... Beer may be the number 1 overall pick this year, after what we know from how he is playing at Clemson. However, had he stayed in high school this Spring, he would not have gone in the top 10 picks

Dawg61
04-06-2016, 02:08 PM
Bonds' year he hit 77 hr's, he walked 177 times out of 664 plate appearances (26.7%). Imagine if bonds saw pitches that year... I think it hurt him plenty

Woah I am legitimately shocked someone else on this board besides myself just threw some cred Bonds way. He hit 73 not 77 that year and he stayed locked in the entire year. If you threw a strike it was guaranteed to get destroyed. If Bonds hadn't been blackballed by MLB he would of retired with over 900+ homers. Can you imagine him hitting in Yankee stadium with that joke right field? Btw he is the Marlins hitting coach now and he looks very happy and healthy.

smootness
04-06-2016, 02:18 PM
Woah I am legitimately shocked someone else on this board besides myself just threw some cred Bonds way. He hit 73 not 77 that year and he stayed locked in the entire year. If you threw a strike it was guaranteed to get destroyed. If Bonds hadn't been blackballed by MLB he would of retired with over 900+ homers. Can you imagine him hitting in Yankee stadium with that joke right field? Btw he is the Marlins hitting coach now and he looks very happy and healthy.

I don't know anyone who wouldn't agree with any of the following:

1. Bonds was an all-time great player his entire career.
2. Bonds was the greatest any baseball player has ever been, and really better than anyone thought possible, from 2001-2004.
3. Bonds was definitely juicing at the end of his career, which is what took him from all-time great to the undisputed greatest ever in his late 30s.
4. Bonds was a jerk.

Those are all pretty clear facts at this point. So anyone who takes issue with Bonds is likely doing so because of 3 and 4, not because they don't believe 1 and 2 to be true.

Dawg61
04-06-2016, 02:31 PM
I don't know anyone who wouldn't agree with any of the following:

1. Bonds was an all-time great player his entire career.
2. Bonds was the greatest any baseball player has ever been, and really better than anyone thought possible, from 2001-2004.
3. Bonds was definitely juicing at the end of his career, which is what took him from all-time great to the undisputed greatest ever in his late 30s.
4. Bonds was a jerk.

Those are all pretty clear facts at this point. So anyone who takes issue with Bonds is likely doing so because of 3 and 4, not because they don't believe 1 and 2 to be true.

Who was Bonds a jerk to though? The same media that was trying to kill him everyday? To the fans of 29 other clubs that booed him and screamed nasty shit at him all day everyday? I'd rather he be real than fake friendly. Imagine everyone in the world basically hating your guts. Would you be a jerk under those circumstances too?

smootness
04-06-2016, 03:04 PM
Who was Bonds a jerk to though? The same media that was trying to kill him everyday? To the fans of 29 other clubs that booed him and screamed nasty shit at him all day everyday? I'd rather he be real than fake friendly. Imagine everyone in the world basically hating your guts. Would you be a jerk under those circumstances too?

They hated him because he was a jerk. He just was, to just about everybody, including teammates. People didn't hate Ken Griffey Jr., or Frank Thomas, or Randy Johnson. Because they weren't jerks.

I apparently need to clarify. All of those are undisputed facts, except Dawg61 is the one person who doesn't think Bonds was a jerk.

smootness
04-06-2016, 03:06 PM
Uh, no he would not

Let me restate that... Beer may be the number 1 overall pick this year, after what we know from how he is playing at Clemson. However, had he stayed in high school this Spring, he would not have gone in the top 10 picks

I'm not saying he would have been top-10 out of HS, though I'm pretty sure he was ranked #2 overall in the HS class. But he absolutely would be #1 now, though, which seems to disagree with that Benintendi comparison.

ShotgunDawg
04-06-2016, 03:07 PM

Completely agree.

You don't want your daughter to date professional athletes. Just assume all great players are jerks & then, when you find one that isn't, realize it's rare. It's very very difficult to have the confidence & invisible attitude to perform at the level of Bonds and then just turn it off when you leave the field.

From my experience most fans have difficulty relating to stars because they have never been that good at any one thing in their lifetime. Stars are made differently & we struggle to relate.

Dawg61
04-06-2016, 03:07 PM
They hated him because he was a jerk. He just was, to just about everybody, including teammates. People didn't hate Ken Griffey Jr., or Frank Thomas, or Randy Johnson. Because they weren't jerks.

I apparently need to clarify. All of those are undisputed facts, except Dawg61 is the one person who doesn't think Bonds was a jerk.

I didn't say he wasn't a jerk. I justified his reasoning for being a jerk. Ken Griffey Jr. was definitely a prick too.

ShotgunDawg
04-06-2016, 03:08 PM
I'm not saying he would have been top-10 out of HS, though I'm pretty sure he was ranked #2 overall in the HS class. But he absolutely would be #1 now, though, which seems to disagree with that Benintendi comparison.

The Benintendi comparison was in regards to your AAA statement. Benintendi wasn't a AAA level player last year & Beer is on a similar level.

You take Perfect Game way too seriously. Look at them like 247 or Scout for football or an NFL mock draft prior to the football season. Their information lags behind.

smootness
04-06-2016, 03:46 PM
I'm not the one who said Beer was a AAA player right now. I don't believe that to be true.

I'm not taking Perfect Game too seriously, I'm not even sure if that's the publication that had him rated #2. I'm just saying that based on at least some reports, it may not have been out of the question.