PDA

View Full Version : Ole Miss OL Rod Taylor arrested on Sunday on suspicion of Shoplifting...

CadaverDawg
04-05-2016, 12:35 PM
I could go Oxford PD and say....

https://media.giphy.com/media/3o85xGocUH8RYoDKKs/giphy.gif

(Thanks JDog) But instead I'll just say nothing.

chef dixon
04-05-2016, 12:39 PM
Why he feels the need to shoplift when he has fans that would give their first born to help him out is beyond me

Dawg61
04-05-2016, 12:42 PM
So which newspaper is gonna ask Bucky Freezus about this misdemeanor after their scrimmage?

CadaverDawg
04-05-2016, 12:48 PM
So which newspaper is gonna ask Bucky Freezus about this misdemeanor after their scrimmage?

Sarah Fowler say: "story upcoming : ) "

ShotgunDawg
04-05-2016, 12:57 PM
Ruh roh......

HUGH SHOULD KICK HIM OFF THE TEAM SO HE CAN GO TO JUCO & THEN TRANSFER TO MSU IN A YEAR.......****

So, who's the worse person, a guy that pre-meditated shoplifting or the guy that lost his cool & hit a woman?

I realize that statement may cause some outrage, but really think about it. Pre-meditated vs someone losing their cool. Society deems one completely unacceptable, but if I'm picking players, I'm picking the guy that lost his cool over a guy that pre-mediated doing something wrong to someone else.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-05-2016, 12:58 PM
Ruh roh......

HUGH SHOULD KICK HIM OFF THE TEAM SO HE CAN GO TO JUCO & THEN TRANSFER TO MSU IN A YEAR.......****

So, who's the worse person, a guy that pre-meditated shoplifting or the guy that lost his cool & hit a woman?

I realize that statement may cause some outrage, but really think about. Pre-meditated vs someone losing their cool. Society deems one completely unacceptable, but if I'm picking players, I'm picking the guy that lost his cool over a guy that pre-mediated doing something wrong to someone else.

Let's not do that.

Jack Lambert
04-05-2016, 01:00 PM
I am sure the Clarion Liar will make it out to be like a Robin Hood story line.

ShotgunDawg
04-05-2016, 01:00 PM
Let's not do that.

I get it. It's uncomfortable to talk to about. Just bringing up a point. A crime of passion vs pre-meditated. It's a valid argument

starkvegasdawg
04-05-2016, 01:02 PM
Come on, people. Don't you know? He was stealing baby food and diapers to give to a single homeless mom that lives in a cardboard box under a bridge on Hwy 278. He's just doing the work of St. Freeze the Holy.

mic
04-05-2016, 01:03 PM
I could go Oxford PD and say....

https://media.giphy.com/media/3o85xGocUH8RYoDKKs/giphy.gif

(Thanks JDog) But instead I'll just say nothing.

Post of the day....

BeardoMSU
04-05-2016, 01:04 PM
Come on, people. Don't you know? He was stealing baby food and diapers to give to a single homeless mom that lives in a cardboard box under a bridge on Hwy 278. He's just doing the work of St. Freeze the Holy.

Dammit, beat me too it!

Dawg61
04-05-2016, 01:05 PM
I get it. It's uncomfortable to talk to about. Just bringing up a point. A crime of passion vs pre-meditated. It's a valid argument

Ha you're still doing that

Commercecomet24
04-05-2016, 01:06 PM

Excellent! Well done!

Original48
04-05-2016, 01:10 PM
"The Clarion-Ledger has filed an open records request with the City of Oxford for more information on Taylor's arrest."
This is the most compelling part of the story to me. I wonder if they had to call Steve to figure out how to do that.

BeardoMSU
04-05-2016, 01:18 PM

Maybe he's just taking a method actor approach to prepare for the Robin Hood Men in Tights reboot***

https://33.media.tumblr.com/312b3ce3cc4ebe0e125ce80dd0b51870/tumblr_inline_mzijs1SLmt1rdbi47.gif

ShotgunDawg
04-05-2016, 01:21 PM
Taylor was probably stealing twinkies & milk duds from a Walgreens.

Dawg61
04-05-2016, 01:24 PM
Taylor was probably stealing twinkies & milk duds from a Walgreens.

I'm guessing it was Spice, Tussin & Sprite. Just getting ready for game days in the most beautiful place on earth.

Taog Redloh
04-05-2016, 01:25 PM
One of these days people will realize that you just can't do anything with these thugs. Why anybody expects them to stay out of trouble is what is really beyond me. They are not changing.

Shoplifting. While you are an SEC football player. What kind of ignorant sh*t is that? Not only are they truly ignorant as to how much they have been given, they have also bought the line about 'don't get nuffin' hook, line and sinker.

IDIOTS. And the enablers, while certainly not idiots, are the real slimeballs.

starkvegasdawg
04-05-2016, 01:26 PM
Martha Stewart on the arrest:

http://i.imgur.com/BnYQ8jp.png

Hunkaburningdawg
04-05-2016, 01:28 PM
Ole Miss people say, "It's a good thing. It proves he's not on the payroll if he's desperate enough to shoplift. So this summer, we are going to send him to our field office in Haiti. "

sandwolf
04-05-2016, 01:35 PM
A crime of passion vs pre-meditated. It's a valid argument

No. No, it's not. Sure, if the acts were the same (or even close to the same), then you could try to play this angle.....but no rational person would try to argue that shoplifting is worse than a 270 pound finely tuned athlete pummeling a defenseless female because the shoplifting was premeditated. Speedy Noil just got arrested for driving without a license. Obviously that was premeditated.....so was that act also worse than Simmons'?

Jesus....typing that out made me realize just how delusional someone would have to be to actually feel like that was a valid point. It also provided me with a glimpse of why some people on this board are convinced that you are a troll.

Taog Redloh
04-05-2016, 01:40 PM
No. No, it's not. Sure, if the acts were the same (or even close to the same), then you could try to play this angle.....but no rational person would try to argue that shoplifting is worse than a 270 pound finely tuned athlete pummeling a defenseless female because the shoplifting was premeditated. Speedy Noil just got arrested for driving without a license. Obviously that was premeditated.....so was that act also worse than Simmons'?

Jesus....typing that out made me realize just how delusional someone would have to be to actually feel like that was a valid point. It also provided me with a glimpse of why some people on this board are convinced that you are a troll.
Replace that with male. Do you feel the same way?

I get it, beating someone is worse than shoplifting. No way I'd argue the opposite. But it's the BEATING part, not the FEMALE part.

The white-knighting has gotten a little old.

Jack Lambert
04-05-2016, 01:54 PM
A bag of charcoal. What a dumb ass.

ShotgunDawg
04-05-2016, 01:57 PM

For goodness sakes...... you obviously completely missed my point you faux outrage guy.

And driving without a license isn't even a consideration in this discussion because driving without a license isn't hurting another person. It isn't a sin against another human being. Stealing from another person is consciously choosing to hurt someone. Beating a woman is obviously worse, but what Simmons did is a "Crime of Passion", and not pre-meditated.

I wasn't asking you which crime is worse, I'm simply asking which person is worse. If you were on a within a team environment, which person would your trust more?

Surely, reasonable people can discuss these type of things without having faux outrage so you can seem to have more morality than others. I get sick of society when they don't want to discuss issues because they are afraid that it make them look bad. The same thing you just did is the same thing that people do in racial discussions & it prevents things from moving forward.

Don't condemn others for starting a discussion just so you can seem more moral. I'd argue that's immaturity

And a troll? I'm on MSU's side here genius

Taog Redloh
04-05-2016, 02:05 PM
Surely, reasonable people can discuss these type of things without having faux outrage so you can seem to have more morality than others.
Reasonable people can, yes. But what are you going to do with the unreasonable?

I get sick of society when they don't want to discuss issues because they are afraid that it make them look bad. The same thing you just did is the same thing that people do in racial discussions & it prevents things from moving forward.

Don't condemn others for starting a discussion just so you can seem more moral. I'd argue that's immaturity

You hit that one over the RF trees and into the parking lot.

sandwolf
04-05-2016, 02:06 PM
Replace that with male. Do you feel the same way?

I get it, beating someone is worse than shoplifting. No way I'd argue the opposite. But it's the BEATING part, not the FEMALE part.

The white-knighting has gotten a little old.

In this context, I would feel the exact same way if the person was male, because I feel like it is absolutely ridiculous to compare these two situations.

Now that being said, if Taylor had taken a few shots at a defenseless guy, I still wouldn't feel like that was as bad as doing it to a female. Because I can wrap my head around the idea of a couple of guys jumping on one guy if he got too far out of line, whereas I just can't quite wrap my head around a guy taking shots at a female like that. And before you start in with the 'white knight' stuff, it should be noted that if that heifer had been coming after Simmons and he had popped her, then you wouldn't hear me say a word about it.

Taog Redloh
04-05-2016, 02:13 PM
And before you start in with the 'white knight' stuff, it should be noted that if that heifer had been coming after Simmons and he had popped her, then you wouldn't hear me say a word about it.
Agreed, and it's a point that hasn't been discussed much. Can't really defend Simmons when it comes to this.

blacklistedbully
04-05-2016, 02:18 PM
Ruh roh......

I realize that statement may cause some outrage, but really think about it. Pre-meditated vs someone losing their cool. Society deems one completely unacceptable, but if I'm picking players, I'm picking the guy that lost his cool over a guy that pre-mediated doing something wrong to someone else.

C'mon man, that's ridiculous. By that logic you could argue shoplifting worse than murder. The idea that something premeditated is worse than another crime simply because the other crime was a case of, "losing their cool" is beyond silly.

ScoobaDawg
04-05-2016, 02:19 PM
This is just stupid... and nothing will come of. I believe he legitimately forgot about the 2 bags under the buggy at the self checkout line.
He will go to court and pay the $40 and be done with it.

All the while the CL now gets to say.. LOOK We DO report on the Bears getting in trouble... all by reporting on a "crime" that was an accident and can be joked about it.
While doing no investigative work on anything else that really matters..

ShotgunDawg
04-05-2016, 02:34 PM
C'mon man, that's ridiculous. By that logic you could argue shoplifting worse than murder. The idea that something premeditated is worse than another crime simply because the other crime was a case of, "losing their cool" is beyond silly.

Good point.

BossDawg
04-05-2016, 02:38 PM
This will play right into the hands of UMiss fans, "See! We aren't paying players! Why would he have to be shoplifting?!"

The CL will come out with some long detailed story about how UM players are suffering and not getting enough to eat and whatnot.......and I'm not sure if I need these or not: "****"

MedDawg
04-05-2016, 02:46 PM
In this context, I would feel the exact same way if the person was male, because I feel like it is absolutely ridiculous to compare these two situations.

Now that being said, if Taylor had taken a few shots at a defenseless guy, I still wouldn't feel like that was as bad as doing it to a female. Because I can wrap my head around the idea of a couple of guys jumping on one guy if he got too far out of line, whereas I just can't quite wrap my head around a guy taking shots at a female like that. And before you start in with the 'white knight' stuff, it should be noted that if that heifer had been coming after Simmons and he had popped her, then you wouldn't hear me say a word about it.

The female wasn't 'defenseless'--she was on top of Simmons' sister and hitting her. Simmons pulled the female off of his sister then hit her right then. He shouldn't have hit her, but he was protecting his sister in a real way. Did you see the long version of the video? People seem to think that the female was on her back and Simmons came up and hit her, and that's not at all what happened.

sandwolf
04-05-2016, 03:15 PM
For goodness sakes...... you obviously completely missed my point you faux outrage guy.

I was simply calling you out for making such a ridiculous attempt at putting these two situations on the same playing field. I am in no way outraged....you probably just felt like I was being aggressive because I was very direct in calling out your stupidity.

Stealing from another person is consciously choosing to hurt someone. Beating a woman is obviously worse, but what Simmons did is a "Crime of Passion", and not pre-meditated.

So your position is that taking something that isn't yours hurts people just the same as violent attacks do? And that the people who shoplift are actually worse because their acts are calculated?

Surely, reasonable people can discuss these type of things without having faux outrage so you can seem to have more morality than others. ......

What? Again, I was simply calling you out for trying to draw a parallel between these two situations. There was no faux outrage and I really don't care whether or not people associate an high moral standard with my anonymous user name. I am sorry if you felt like I was condemning you for starting this discussion....my intent was to take part in the discussion by explaining to you how ridiculous your position was. I was hoping that you would see that to be the case after I pointed it out to you, acknowledge that it was not the best comparison and realize that all you actually did was shift the focus from Taylor's **** up back to Simmons' **** up.

I get sick of society when they don't want to discuss issues because they are afraid that it make them look bad. The same thing you just did is the same thing that people do in racial discussions & it prevents things from moving forward.

I agree with everything here except for you saying that this is what I just did. Nothing that I have said has been motivated by political correctness. I can promise you that the last phrase that anyone would ever use to describe me is 'politically correct'......I can think for myself.

And a troll? I'm on MSU's side here genius

I would bet everything I own that there is already a screen shot of your post, that will soon be circulating and being used as an example of how delusional ED and State fans are. Now, I couldn't care less about that, but from what I have gathered, those are the types of posts that trolls make....which is why I said that I could see why some posters might think you were a troll after reading your initial post.

maroonmania
04-05-2016, 03:22 PM

Well let's at least not forget that this "defenseless female" was kicking the crap out of Simmons' sister and yelling senseless remarks about Simmons deceased family members. Its not like Simmons just stalked her into a back alley and went to town on her for the fun of it.

sandwolf
04-05-2016, 03:23 PM
The female wasn't 'defenseless'--she was on top of Simmons' sister and hitting her. Simmons pulled the female off of his sister then hit her right then. He shouldn't have hit her, but he was protecting his sister in a real way. Did you see the long version of the video? People seem to think that the female was on her back and Simmons came up and hit her, and that's not at all what happened.

I have seen the videos. And the female absolutely was defenseless against Simmons......if you were tied up fighting with one guy and another guy ran up and kicked you in the face, I would say that you were defenseless to the kick in the face. And if Simmons had just picked the girl up and thrown her off of his sister, then we would have never heard about this whole situation.

maroonmania
04-05-2016, 03:29 PM
I have seen the videos. And the female absolutely was defenseless against Simmons......if you were tied up fighting with one guy and another guy ran up and kicked you in the face, I would say that you were defenseless to the kick in the face. And if Simmons had just picked the girl up and thrown her off of his sister, then we would have never heard about this whole situation.

OK, I can go with that given that given being "defenseless" against a kick in the face and "deserving" a kick in the face are separate things.

sandwolf
04-05-2016, 03:31 PM
Well let's at least not forget that this "defenseless female" was kicking the crap out of Simmons' sister and yelling senseless remarks about Simmons deceased family members. Its not like Simmons just stalked her into a back alley and went to town on her for the fun of it.

No doubt. And I will even admit to using the phrase 'defenseless female' pretty loosely to fit my agenda.....because I can promise you that if the 'defenseless female' from that video came after me, I would run the other direction, and it wouldn't have anything to do with me not wanting to have to hit a chick.

But none of that brings that whole deal down to the level of shoplifting. And that is why I hated that it was brought up in the first place....because now we are back to talking about Simmons instead of Taylor. If that hadn't been brought up, we probably would have been able to escalate this whole deal into grand theft auto by now.

chef dixon
04-05-2016, 03:44 PM
I would bet everything I own that there is already a screen shot of your post, that will soon be circulating and being used as an example of how delusional ED and State fans are. Now, I couldn't care less about that, but from what I have gathered, those are the types of posts that trolls make....which is why I said that I could see why some posters might think you were a troll after reading your initial post.

Lol. I laugh because this is such a true assessment and the post circulating the internet was the first thing I thought of when I read it.

Coach34
04-05-2016, 03:54 PM

this this this this this

blacklistedbully
04-05-2016, 03:56 PM

Exactly! I have tried to not continue commenting on the Simmons incident because it just looks bad any way you look at it. It looks a lot worse for MSU when we have fans making posts that try like hell to dismiss this or somehow excuse his behavior, or otherwise minimize it by comparing it to less offensive things.

And I'm getting really sick & tired of some MSU fans on these boards attacking others for wanting our school to take the high road in handling this.

A) What Simmons did IS NOT OK! It is not justified. I have read plenty of comments here about how it's a common occurrence in places like his neighborhood. While that is sad, and probably true, it does not excuse the behavior. While I agree the temptation to do wrong is harder to resist in these environments, it is still not something that should excuse the act.

B) How our school handles this is going to say a lot about what kind of school we are, what kind of administration we have. It is going to send a message to our players and the public, and that message isn't going to be how great we were for sticking by our guy unless the, "sticking by" means we take him, but with conditions, including a severe penalty as well as counseling, perhaps also volunteering at a battered-women's facility, unless the court mandates that prior to his coming to MSU.

I love MSU more than I love MSU football. I am damned proud to be an alum of MSU in part because I feel I am part of an institution that has high values, high integrity, etc. One of the things I really like about Dan Mullen is that he really seems like he puts a lot of emphasis on the character of the young men he recruits, as opposed to what the HC of TSUN does.

If maybe being a little more successful on the football field for 2-3 years means we'd have to operate a little more like Ole Miss, then I say HELL NO to that! I love our school way too damned much to damage her reputation in such a way.

C) Before some of y'all come on here accusing posters like me, Sandwolf, Smootness, Coach and others of, "keeping this a hot topic" or, "feeding into Rebel boards", consider that what y'alls side is doing is the same, if not worse. You're perpetuating these threads by posting your opinions publicly, which forces the other side to feel obliged to make a record that not all MSU fans think the way you do.

starkvegasdawg
04-05-2016, 04:03 PM
Only MSU fans could take a post about a tsun player 17ing up and degenerate it into eating our own.

I have seen the enemy and it is us.

Jack Lambert
04-05-2016, 04:06 PM
This is just stupid... and nothing will come of. I believe he legitimately forgot about the 2 bags under the buggy at the self checkout line.
He will go to court and pay the $40 and be done with it.

All the while the CL now gets to say.. LOOK We DO report on the Bears getting in trouble... all by reporting on a "crime" that was an accident and can be joked about it.
While doing no investigative work on anything else that really matters..

If Kroger maybe but if WalMart not.

maroonmania
04-05-2016, 04:16 PM
Exactly! I have tried to not continue commenting on the Simmons incident because it just looks bad any way you look at it. It looks a lot worse for MSU when we have fans making posts that try like hell to dismiss this or somehow excuse his behavior, or otherwise minimize it by comparing it to less offensive things.

And I'm getting really sick & tired of some MSU fans on these boards attacking others for wanting our school to take the high road in handling this.

A) What Simmons did IS NOT OK! It is not justified. I have read plenty of comments here about how it's a common occurrence in places like his neighborhood. While that is sad, and probably true, it does not excuse the behavior. While I agree the temptation to do wrong is harder to resist in these environments, it is still not something that should excuse the act.

B) How our school handles this is going to say a lot about what kind of school we are, what kind of administration we have. It is going to send a message to our players and the public, and that message isn't going to be how great we were for sticking by our guy unless the, "sticking by" means we take him, but with conditions, including a severe penalty as well as counseling, perhaps also volunteering at a battered-women's facility, unless the court mandates that prior to his coming to MSU.

I love MSU more than I love MSU football. I am damned proud to be an alum of MSU in part because I feel I am part of an institution that has high values, high integrity, etc. One of the things I really like about Dan Mullen is that he really seems like he puts a lot of emphasis on the character of the young men he recruits, as opposed to what the HC of TSUN does.

If maybe being a little more successful on the football field for 2-3 years means we'd have to operate a little more like Ole Miss, then I say HELL NO to that! I love our school way too damned much to damage her reputation in such a way.

C) Before some of y'all come on here accusing posters like me, Sandwolf, Smootness, Coach and others of, "keeping this a hot topic" or, "feeding into Rebel boards", consider that what y'alls side is doing is the same, if not worse. You're perpetuating these threads by posting your opinions publicly, which forces the other side to feel obliged to make a record that not all MSU fans think the way you do.

So I have a question, IF Simmons was a regular HS senior with a full ride ACADEMIC scholarship and IF this happened and the incident was treated as a misdemeanor as this will be are there any university conduct policies that would prevent him from being admitted to the University? nullifying his academic scholarship? Just because football players are higher profile than normal students I'm not sure that they should somehow be at a different standard than a normal student. Especially before they even arrive on campus where the coaches have a chance to lay out some ground rules. I fully agree this should probably put him on a much shorter leash than had this not happened but the kid still deserves a right to go to college and if he is going to college why not MSU versus some other college unless what he has done disqualifies him from getting into MSU per MSU policy? Most people out and about talking negatively about this situation saying we should cut him loose just don't want him to play for MSU based on their own personal agenda. I certainly don't hear any of them saying he should be restricted from ever playing D1 football. Heck, just follow the university guidelines, that is what they are there for.

blacklistedbully
04-05-2016, 04:17 PM
Only MSU fans could take a post about a tsun player 17ing up and degenerate it into eating our own.

I have seen the enemy and it is us.

I count 3 posts in this thread from posters trying to equivocate this to the beating before anyone took exception. Has it occurred to you there are some here who think those kinds of comments are making MSU's fanbase look bad?

blacklistedbully
04-05-2016, 04:36 PM
So I have a question, IF Simmons was a regular HS senior with a full ride ACADEMIC scholarship and IF this happened and the incident was treated as a misdemeanor as this will be are there any university conduct policies that would prevent him from being admitted to the University? nullifying his academic scholarship? Just because football players are higher profile than normal students I'm not sure that they should somehow be at a different standard than a normal student. Especially before they even arrive on campus where the coaches have a chance to lay out some ground rules. I fully agree this should probably put him on a much shorter leash than had this not happened but the kid still deserves a right to go to college and if he is going to college why not MSU versus some other college unless what he has done disqualifies him from getting into MSU per MSU policy? Most people out and about talking negatively about this situation saying we should cut him loose just don't want him to play for MSU based on their own personal agenda. I certainly don't hear any of them saying he should be restricted from ever playing D1 football. Heck, just follow the university guidelines, that is what they are there for.

While I do not know what MSU's policies are, I would not be surprised if there were clauses attached to the award that allow for revocation of the scholarship based on rules-of-conduct, just as I am sure there are rules that can get a student kicked out of school entirely.

That said, I have not said Simmons should be kicked out, though I would side with MSU if that's what they decide. Rather, I have advocated a significant suspension from football and counseling. In any case, I would absolutely be in favor of the, "regular high school senior" getting equal punishment, with the difference being we would not be able to suspend that student from representing one of our teams because they wouldn't be on one.

Perhaps a better analogy would be if that student was an academic whiz, in which case I'd be all for that student being prohibited from representing our school in any capacity at events for a significant period of time, etc. Again, Idd also support our school if they decided to pull the scholly.

Now let me ask you...if a regular student at MSU, who was receiving financial aid did the same thing, what would you deem an appropriate action from our university?

maroonmania
04-05-2016, 04:46 PM
While I do not know what MSU's policies are, I would not be surprised if there were clauses attached to the award that allow for revocation of the scholarship based on rules-of-conduct, just as I am sure there are rules that can get a student kicked out of school entirely.

That said, I have not said Simmons should be kicked out, though I would side with MSU if that's what they decide. Rather, I have advocated a significant suspension from football and counseling. In any case, I would absolutely be in favor of the, "regular high school senior" getting equal punishment, with the difference being we would not be able to suspend that student from representing one of our teams because they wouldn't be on one.

Perhaps a better analogy would be if that student was an academic whiz, in which case I'd be all for that student being prohibited from representing our school in any capacity at events for a significant period of time, etc. Again, I;d also support our school of they decided to pull the scholly.

Now let me ask you...if a regular student at MSU, who was receiving financial aid did the same thing, what would you deem an appropriate action from our university?

Well I've already said that in my view appropriate action would be to follow the university policies in place. This is certainly not the first time a HS senior that planned to be a student at MSU has had a run in with the law prior to being enrolled. Of course I personally feel that the fact that this whole incident was instigated over trying to aid and protect a family member should be a huge mitigating factor. Some don't seem to see it that way. Nobody is saying what he did was OK but he wasn't just out looking for trouble either.

MSUDawg99
04-05-2016, 04:48 PM
Geezus H! Threads discussing the JS deal should be locked/closed from now on. Beating a dead horse. Move on folks.

CadaverDawg
04-05-2016, 05:05 PM
Thanks for taking an OM problem and spinning it into a thread about MSU issues. For goodness sakes.

I seen it dawg
04-05-2016, 05:36 PM
Muther****ing idiots. Way to go shotgun for turning the zoo loose.