PDA

View Full Version : 1996 One Shining Moment

WPDawg
04-04-2016, 10:52 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qx-o1m2_HU

Damn that was a fun run in 1996. So close....how sweet it would have been to have played KY in the final. Lucky enough to make that trip to the Meadowlands and still remember sitting there after the game kind of numb that we had lost to Syracuse. But it was sure fun to be there and have that opportunity.

Taog Redloh
04-05-2016, 01:36 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qx-o1m2_HU

Damn that was a fun run in 1996. So close....how sweet it would have been to have played KY in the final. Lucky enough to make that trip to the Meadowlands and still remember sitting there after the game kind of numb that we had lost to Syracuse. But it was sure fun to be there and have that opportunity.

Why do you want to depress everyone?

I go back and forth wondering if we really would have beaten Kentucky in the rubber match. Remember that they had beaten us by 20 earlier in the year. So, that's a little comforting. But then I think, without Bullard getting paid off we probably smoke both Syracuse and Kentucky and it just makes it worse.

smootness
04-05-2016, 01:54 PM
I think Kentucky would have beaten us. That was an all-time great college basketball team, and the odds of beating them twice in a row would have been extremely slim. Even at the time, I remember being mostly resigned to that fact, even before we played Syracuse.

I still think the biggest accomplishment of that team was winning the SEC Tournament, not making the Final Four.

Taog Redloh
04-05-2016, 02:01 PM
I think Kentucky would have beaten us. That was an all-time great college basketball team, and the odds of beating them twice in a row would have been extremely slim. Even at the time, I remember being mostly resigned to that fact, even before we played Syracuse.

I still think the biggest accomplishment of that team was winning the SEC Tournament, not making the Final Four.

Probably right. I remember thinking the same thing about UCLA in 2013 finals. Yeah they didn't seem like much, but they way they were pitching it in that ballpark, they were near unbeatable. I honestly think the basketball team had the better chance, simply because it was the second year in a row to make a run in the tournament. The whole 2013 baseball postseason was an over-achievement from the beginning.