PDA

View Full Version : Well, it looks like another rebel has to start up a new magazine.

AlSwearengen
04-04-2016, 09:50 AM
Blacksburg, Va beat out oxford as the best college town. It wasn't on the front page of the site, so I am thinking gardenandgun is owned by a rebel.

ShotgunDawg
04-04-2016, 10:14 AM
I can assure you that if college football recruiting was about "pretty campuses" Virginia Tech, Colorado, High Point, North Carolina, Cal, Stanford, & Pepperdine would all be national powers in football over Ole Miss.

maroonmania
04-04-2016, 10:43 AM
Amazes me that while Oxford gets pushed as one of the top college towns in America, Starkville still gets universally treated like the armpit of college towns. Has to be the best marketing job around because, though I've not been to Oxford in quite some time, I can't believe at this point there is all that much difference in the two towns. Is a square that big of a college town perk?

BeardoMSU
04-04-2016, 10:49 AM
Amazes me that while Oxford gets pushed as one of the top college towns in America, Starkville still gets universally treated like the armpit of college towns. Has to be the best marketing job around because, though I've not been to Oxford in quite some time, I can't believe at this point there is all that much difference in the two towns. Is a square that big of a college town perk?

Starkville has come a very long way in the past 10 years or so, and I love living here, but Oxford is a nicer town. It just is. Something we really lack are more local restaurants, of the non-sandwich/fried-chicken variety.

That being said, I totally agree that people pick on Starkville unnecessarily, and that scrutiny is often very uniformed. Most of that likely comes from peoples experiences here 15 or 20 years ago, but as I said, it has gotten A LOT better.

There are plenty of college towns that should be singled out before us, but it is what it is.

Bothrops
04-04-2016, 03:35 PM
Those poor bastards. You know they voted every day for that.

miketice
04-04-2016, 04:02 PM
Those poor bastards. You know they voted every day for that.

Funny I went to private browse and voted the other way at least 100 times.

Dawgbite
04-04-2016, 04:11 PM
Funny I went to private browse and voted the other way at least 100 times.

If it weren't for assholes like you tainting the vote, everybody would now know how great Oxford is. Well, at least they know how great they are. Maybe they will at least get a participation tiera.

starkvegasdawg
04-04-2016, 04:28 PM
Them losing is a good thing.

BossDawg
04-04-2016, 04:29 PM
If it weren't for assholes like you tainting the vote, everybody would now know how great Oxford is. Well, at least they know how great they are. Maybe they will at least get a participation tiera.

That's what it wuz! Them stoopid leghumpers from MOO U gettin on there n votin AGAINST Oxford becawz they r so jealous of how awesum our campus and town and WOMEN are!!!! We wooda won it handz down if it weren't fer those trakter drivin rednecks frum STARKGHANISTAN LOLZOMGROTFLAO!!!

bobcat91
04-04-2016, 04:40 PM
If the original Cotton Mills had come to fruition, we would have really spruced up that area. Starkville does us no favors with large sections of blight like the Hwy 82 corridor in town. We need more true restaurants, not fast food, more shopping and upscale housing. Progress is being made but we lag behind.

Dawgbite
04-04-2016, 04:42 PM
That's what it wuz! Them stoopid leghumpers from MOO U gettin on there n votin AGAINST Oxford becawz they r so jealous of how awesum our campus and town and WOMEN are!!!! We wooda won it handz down if it weren't fer those trakter drivin rednecks frum STARKGHANISTAN LOLZOMGROTFLAO!!!

Now give me my dip back!

Bothrops
04-04-2016, 04:45 PM
If the original Cotton Mills had come to fruition, we would have really spruced up that area. Starkville does us no favors with large sections of blight like the Hwy 82 corridor in town. We need more true restaurants, not fast food, more shopping and upscale housing. Progress is being made but we lag behind.

Wasn't there supposed to be an upscale restaurant going in with the Mill project? What happened with that?

Todd4State
04-04-2016, 04:54 PM

Starkville need a Keifer's like type place, a grilled cheese place, a good vegetarian place, and a good local pizza place.

miketice
04-04-2016, 05:05 PM
[QUOTE=Dawgbite;530141]If it weren't for assholes like you tainting the vote, everybody would now know how great Oxford is. Well, at least they know how great they are. Maybe they will at least get a participation tiera.[/QUOTE

lol

BossDawg
04-04-2016, 05:45 PM

What is the main problem here? Why is the city of Starkville and the university so d@#m incompetent when it comes to large scale beautification projects? Or even small ones? I remember all of these grand ideas for Cotton Mills. Man, the original plans would've been spectacular. But now it's just the revamped Cooley building and a Courtyard. There's SO, SO much potential for that area and other areas of Starkville. I just seems like we can't ever get things going full-steam.

greenbean
04-04-2016, 06:45 PM
I've always thought that UM has an effective PR firm working for them. Sports websites like SDS and Bleacher Report look for easy content to publish, UM's PR firm likely writes pro UM articles (prettiest women, nicest campus, best college town, best tailgating) and gets them published in websites. The more people read these articles they more they start to believe the hype.

If we are not already doing this, we need to start ASAP.

HSVDawg
04-04-2016, 07:05 PM
Blacksburg, Va beat out oxford as the best college town. It wasn't on the front page of the site, so I am thinking gardenandgun is owned by a rebel.

Gonna completely depart from the dialogue of the thread so far and just note that I had no idea Blacksburg was even considered a decent college town. After having visited Charlottesville, its very hard to imagine that Blacksburg is even the best college town in Virginia.

BeardoMSU
04-04-2016, 07:07 PM
Athens not winning shows the legitimacy of this poll, IMO.

msstatelp1
04-04-2016, 10:13 PM
What is the main problem here? Why is the city of Starkville and the university so d@#m incompetent when it comes to large scale beautification projects? Or even small ones? I remember all of these grand ideas for Cotton Mills. Man, the original plans would've been spectacular. But now it's just the revamped Cooley building and a Courtyard. There's SO, SO much potential for that area and other areas of Starkville. I just seems like we can't ever get things going full-steam.

IMHO, the main advantage that Oxford has is that Oxford and OM work together to promote each other. The city and the university understand that what benefits one, benefits the other. Starkville, in the past at least, has acted like the worst of the military towns I saw while in the Army. They had an adversarial relationship with MSU and all they wanted was the student money without doing anything to help either the students or the University. The City's leadership had no vision as to what could be nor any desire to change the status quo.

archdog
04-05-2016, 01:10 AM
Starkville need a Keifer's like type place, a grilled cheese place, a good vegetarian place, and a good local pizza place.

Commodore Bob's, Harveys, who gives a shit about vegetarians, and Stromboli's.
Rest Tyler, #flavor, Bulldog Burger. Columbus has Huck's, Old Hickory, and that other place Brassard's downtown that all offer pretty good food.
Any more requirements?

archdog
04-05-2016, 01:12 AM
Starkville needs a huge walking mall that has all the big chains like BestBuy, Dicks, Bass Pro Shop etc. Hate having to drive to Tusc to buy nice stuff. I am thinking like Spanish Fort/Malbus. Something nice. Heck you could put RV spaces on the perimeter and sell those spaces if need be.

Drugs Delaney
04-05-2016, 05:49 AM
Now this is rich (copy and paste from nafoom) " I've been to both Athens and Blacksburg many a time. Blacksburg is a shit hole compared to Athens or Oxford. I don't get it. I guess their side is just all amped up and voting a bunch. I do know they have cultish overly excessive school pride, much like A&M."....Maybe their AD begged people to vote. Maybe they had more nerds camped out on their computer all day.

Dawgbite
04-05-2016, 06:49 AM
Oxford was probably 15-20 years ahead of Starkille with the vision to coordinate the university and the town. That helps or hurts depending on your perspective with Ole Miss being in the center of Oxford and State is its own entity separated from Starkville by hwy 12. I think that for every good restaurant or bar that Oxford has, Starkville has the equivalent. The main difference is that these businesses in Starkville are spread out over the entire city and in Oxford they are primarily concentrated in a small area that is walkable.

Maroonthirteen
04-05-2016, 09:37 AM
No, the square isn't all that. It isn't impressive in the least. Hell, every town in the SE that has NOT progressed beyond 10K residents has a square. So, what if Oxford has a few bars on theirs.

Fact of the matter is, Starkville and Oxford are nice towns for MISSISSIPPI. However, to suggest it is a the nicest college town in America is laughable. Ridiculous......anyone that believes that needs to travel around a little. Fayetteville, AR is nicer and has far more to offer just to name one college town.

Blight.......Oxford has it too. Just cruise up lovely Molly Bar to Lamar and back to the square.....the prettiest projects, convenience/tobacco stores and pawn shops in all of North America.....I'm sure. Just ask 'em. Or better yet...run a poll.

MSUDawg99
04-05-2016, 11:27 AM

Get rid of the city councilmen. They seem to be extremely incompetent. We need the town & the univ to work together in cohesion. We need more adult friendly bars/restaurants that don't cater strictly to college students too. The Guest Room is a start.

MSUDawg99
04-05-2016, 11:28 AM

Not gonna lie...I love me some Stromboli's & Lost Pizza.

BeardoMSU
04-05-2016, 11:31 AM
Not gonna lie...I love me some Stromboli's & Lost Pizza.

CJ's Pizza was actually pretty amazing, but that building got sold out from under them. There was supposed to be a new sonic going there originally, but I don't know what their doing with it now...

MSUDawg99
04-05-2016, 04:03 PM
CJ's Pizza was actually pretty amazing, but that building got sold out from under them. There was supposed to be a new sonic going there originally, but I don't know what their doing with it now...

Nothing. I was there on Sat. & it has a for sale sign up & it's desolate & looks bad. Sonic is down the street a block or two past Montgomery St. I think?

BeardoMSU
04-05-2016, 04:15 PM
Nothing. I was there on Sat. & it has a for sale sign up & it's desolate & looks bad. Sonic is down the street a block or two past Montgomery St. I think?

Ok I see it almost everyday. Looks terrible. I had heard they were going to tear down the old Sonic after they built the new one.