PDA

View Full Version : HS player is decvlaring for NBA draft.

fishwater99
04-04-2016, 08:59 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15127862/five-star-f-thon-maker-plans-declare-draft

He is 19, but only went to 4 years of HS. The NBA will deny his request.

They need to make the rules like MLB, out of HS or 3 years of college.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-04-2016, 09:23 AM
It's going to be a closer deal IMO. Technically he was a member of the 2015 class but stayed in prep school 1 more year to play with his brother. It's a tricky situation.

ShotgunDawg
04-04-2016, 09:28 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15127862/five-star-f-thon-maker-plans-declare-draft

He is 19, but only went to 4 years of HS. The NBA will deny his request.

They need to make the rules like MLB, out of HS or 3 years of college.

Agree, but, if they do that, they are going to have to change other rule as well.

1. They've got to allow high school kids to work out for NBA teams so the kids can make informed decisions.

2. These workouts will either have to take place in the fall or the national signing day for college basketball will have to be moved back till after the high school declare date. With college basketball programs only signing 3 to 5 guys a year, you can't have 1-3 of your signees declaring for the NBA draft & in May, your left with no one else to sign. Could be a disaster for some of the bigger programs that have multiple signees on the fence about going pro or going to college.

fishwater99
04-04-2016, 09:33 AM
It's going to be a closer deal IMO. Technically he was a member of the 2015 class but stayed in prep school 1 more year to play with his brother. It's a tricky situation.

But he didn't reclassify or graduate early. He was only in HS for 4 years.

CrookedLetta
04-04-2016, 09:35 AM
If he gets in, Malik drops another spot.

starkvegasdawg
04-04-2016, 09:40 AM
What I wish they would do is allow kids in basketball to declare out of high school but if they bust then let them come back to college and play college ball after one year. I'm not letting them sit in D league or over in Europe for 4 years trying to make a roster and then come back, but if you come out and realize early on you made a mistake then come back to college. If you committed to a team then that school has right of first refusal. If they pass then you are an open recruit. That said, if you come back to college - you're in college for a minimum three years. No coming back for one year and then trying the draft again. And once you declare for the draft a second time that is it for college eligibility.

I think this would let the select few that are NBA ready out of HS go pro and live the dream while providing a safety net for those that think they are ready to come back, get an education, and still give them another shot at the dream down the road. That gives them every chance to play in the NBA and not risking either making it big or end up just some 19 year old kid with no education and no hope at a decent future.

Westdawg
04-04-2016, 10:44 AM
What I wish they would do is allow kids in basketball to declare out of high school but if they bust then let them come back to college and play college ball after one year. I'm not letting them sit in D league or over in Europe for 4 years trying to make a roster and then come back, but if you come out and realize early on you made a mistake then come back to college. If you committed to a team then that school has right of first refusal. If they pass then you are an open recruit. That said, if you come back to college - you're in college for a minimum three years. No coming back for one year and then trying the draft again. And once you declare for the draft a second time that is it for college eligibility.

I think this would let the select few that are NBA ready out of HS go pro and live the dream while providing a safety net for those that think they are ready to come back, get an education, and still give them another shot at the dream down the road. That gives them every chance to play in the NBA and not risking either making it big or end up just some 19 year old kid with no education and no hope at a decent future.

i have a major problem with what you are suggesting. you would then open this up for kids who sign with MLB teams going to the minors for a year and bombing who then would come back to college.
I have no problem whatsoever with a HS player who wants to take a shot at the pros. BUT, you decide to go that route, there is NO RETURN to amateur ranks.
You cannot open this door. If he wants to go pro and risk it, then let him. there are plenty of avenues to pursue in playing pro ball for him should the NBA draft not work out.

starkvegasdawg
04-04-2016, 11:03 AM
i have a major problem with what you are suggesting. you would then open this up for kids who sign with MLB teams going to the minors for a year and bombing who then would come back to college.
I have no problem whatsoever with a HS player who wants to take a shot at the pros. BUT, you decide to go that route, there is NO RETURN to amateur ranks.
You cannot open this door. If he wants to go pro and risk it, then let him. there are plenty of avenues to pursue in playing pro ball for him should the NBA draft not work out.

The one argument I would make to counter yours is that players enter baseball knowing it can take several years to make it to the show. In the NBA you pretty much can or can't. But I would hold the same premise. If you declare out of high school and realize you made a mistake, you have one year to return to college. I don't see anybody spending a year in rookie league or the D league really gaining a competitive advantage over a freshman in college.

I'm basically coming down on the side of let's give kids as big of a chance of success in life as we can. In the NBA especially, their shot of making it comes down to one of two things...making an NBA roster or getting a college degree. Without either of those, most of these kids wind up right back in the poverty stricken life they're trying to escape. Only this time they have no viable way out. They've lost a shot at a scholarship and they now know they're obviously not going pro so there they are...19 with nothing to look forward to but either a low end minimum wage job or a life on the streets.

And remember, there is precedence for this to a degree. You can already comeback from the pro ranks and play college ball if it is a different sport. Just here recently we were hoping that QB prospect we signed but went to play baseball might reconsider us if he kept bombing in the minors. So this path is already open if you are blessed enough to be a two sport athlete. This is just opening it up to those that are only one sport athletes.

Westdawg
04-04-2016, 02:53 PM
True; however, you are looking at a pool of 10-15 players max that would even attempt going in the NBA draft. If they flop, most likely they have enough talent to make a pro team in Europe, Russia, Asia, or the Middle East. Sure, it won't be where they wanted to be, but making several hundred K a year beats the alternative while still playing the game.

starkvegasdawg
04-04-2016, 03:26 PM
True; however, you are looking at a pool of 10-15 players max that would even attempt going in the NBA draft. If they flop, most likely they have enough talent to make a pro team in Europe, Russia, Asia, or the Middle East. Sure, it won't be where they wanted to be, but making several hundred K a year beats the alternative while still playing the game.

Can't argue that. I just would like to leave the door open to them coming back and getting their degree or most of their degree and then have a shot again at the league here. If you want my personal thought on the matter I wish there was no leaving early for pro leagues. Force them to stay in college and get a degree and have required classes in money mgt. I know that will never happen which is why I have this backup plan, but if I were king for a day...

Ifyouonlyknew
04-14-2016, 02:17 PM
UPDATE BUMP: Thon Maker was declared eligible for the 2016 NBA Draft

Irondawg
04-14-2016, 03:46 PM
Interesting - on what grounds I wonder?

Ifyouonlyknew
04-14-2016, 03:57 PM
He graduated last year & then did another year of prep school in Canada with his brother.

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
04-14-2016, 06:52 PM
Nice he got to play w/ lil bro but is there a reason he didn't play overseas? Not everyone can handle it but seems like he missed out on a paycheck.

Bully13
04-14-2016, 07:08 PM
I say he needs a year under Howlands tutelage. ..

jumbo
04-15-2016, 12:34 PM
Interesting - on what grounds I wonder?

The rule isn't that you have to play 1 year of college. You have to be 19 years old and at least 1 year removed from HS graduation. He meets both those criteria.

fishwater99
04-15-2016, 01:54 PM
He graduated last year & then did another year of prep school in Canada with his brother.

So he got a diploma and went to another school or was it the same one?

Ifyouonlyknew
04-15-2016, 02:14 PM
So he got a diploma and went to another school or was it the same one?

Maker opened another potential avenue on Thursday when the NBA ruled him eligible for this June's draft, a league spokesman confirmed to Yahoo Sports. Maker, 19, completed the requisite coursework to graduate from high school last spring, spent a post-graduate year in prep school and declared for the draft two weeks ago.