PDA

View Full Version : RPI and OOC Opponents

bulldogcountry1
04-04-2016, 08:59 AM
As of right now, we have played 5 games against OOC teams with winning records, compared to 12 at or below .500. UM and Troy are our only remaining OOC opponents with winning records. This is bad, and it's going to hurt us if teams like Oregon, UCLA and USC keep up their downward trend. I keep hearing people say, "Win and we will be okay", but they just don't understand how RPI works.

There is only so much we can do at this point, but there are some options that will make a difference in the end. This is why we cancelled one of the Tuesday games. It wasn't because of pitching. Someone needs to be on the phone trying to schedule a midweek road trip or two with a decent opponent that will give us a boost.

confucius say
04-04-2016, 09:08 AM
Meh, too early to freak out. Rpi is already up to 27. Win one against Florida and it jumps to 20ish. Ole miss rpi actually went up by winning one of three this past weekend. Road wins against high RPI teams will jump your rpi big time.

Saltydog
04-04-2016, 09:15 AM
to win one in Gainesville.

Jack Lambert
04-04-2016, 09:24 AM
to win one in Gainesville.

If we play with no errors we will have a good chance to win one.

sleepy dawg
04-04-2016, 09:27 AM
As of right now, we have played 5 games against OOC teams with winning records, compared to 12 at or below .500. UM and Troy are our only remaining OOC opponents with winning records. This is bad, and it's going to hurt us if teams like Oregon, UCLA and USC keep up their downward trend. I keep hearing people say, "Win and we will be okay", but they just don't understand how RPI works.

There is only so much we can do at this point, but there are some options that will make a difference in the end. This is why we cancelled one of the Tuesday games. It wasn't because of pitching. Someone needs to be on the phone trying to schedule a midweek road trip or two with a decent opponent that will give us a boost.

Win and we will be okay. Don't be so obsessed with RPI. RPI is a tool to help, not a predefined seed guide. Cal State Fullerton was a 1 seed last year and they had an RPI in the twenties.

Ralph
04-04-2016, 09:48 AM
Meh, too early to freak out. Rpi is already up to 27. Win one against Florida and it jumps to 20ish. Ole miss rpi actually went up by winning one of three this past weekend. Road wins against high RPI teams will jump your rpi big time.

Actually road wins vs high SOS teams jump your RPI. Strangely, whether you beat the #240 RPI team or the #1 RPI team the effect is the same. I believe its the SOS that provides the jump on the road.

At least that's how I understand it someone please correct me if Im wrong. Fla SOS 3 and OM's 6. Our's sitting at 23 right now.

Now, you could easily say that a high RPI team is likely to have a high SOS. Otherwise they wouldnt have a high RPI to begin with. But it's actually the SOS on the road that helps big time.

This is what NPI (Nolan Power Index) and others attempt to factor into their rating system.

CadaverDawg
04-04-2016, 10:50 AM
Actually road wins vs high SOS teams jump your RPI. Strangely, whether you beat the #240 RPI team or the #1 RPI team the effect is the same. I believe its the SOS that provides the jump on the road.

At least that's how I understand it someone please correct me if Im wrong. Fla SOS 3 and OM's 6. Our's sitting at 23 right now.

Now, you could easily say that a high RPI team is likely to have a high SOS. Otherwise they wouldnt have a high RPI to begin with. But it's actually the SOS on the road that helps big time.

This is what NPI (Nolan Power Index) and others attempt to factor into their rating system.

There is something wrong with SOS if OM is 6 and we're 20+. Look at those two schedules...it's not even remotely close. I'm sick of these bogus computer rankings.

bulldogcountry1
04-04-2016, 11:24 AM
There is something wrong with SOS if OM is 6 and we're 20+. Look at those two schedules...it's not even remotely close. I'm sick of these bogus computer rankings.

Their opponent's win % is much higher than ours.

maroonmania
04-04-2016, 11:38 AM

Yes, so unless I misinterpret, and this to me is a flaw in RPI, you would seem to do better to play teams that are pretty decent and play mostly crap teams. Because the better your opponents' winning percentage and your opponents' opponents' winning percentage, the better your SOS looks even if your opponents and their opponents played crappy teams for the most part to build that winning percentage. If there is something I'm missing please let me know.

mic
04-04-2016, 11:55 AM
Need to go 7-5 over these 4 series.
2-1 so far.. Need to pick up one in Gainsville..

maroonmania
04-04-2016, 12:10 PM
And Memphis will be an RPI killer next week sitting at 226. UNM managed to avoid them this past weekend with a rainout. And heaven forbid we lose to Memphis, that would be a double killer.

HSVDawg
04-04-2016, 12:46 PM

I don't know why its so hard for some people to understand this. We don't have a tough nonconference schedule....at all. I know we tried to, but it just didn't work out. I think people see the names like Oregon, UCLA, USC, and Oklahoma and assume because of the names on the jerseys that even though they are having down years they are still solid opponents, but they aren't with the possible exception of UCLA. But they are fading fast as well. USM, South Alabama, and Florida Atlantic would all take 2 of 3 at worst (and might sweep) all of those teams.

HSVDawg
04-04-2016, 01:03 PM
Win and we will be okay. Don't be so obsessed with RPI. RPI is a tool to help, not a predefined seed guide. Cal State Fullerton was a 1 seed last year and they had an RPI in the twenties.

Its a tool but its a very important one in regards to the selection committee. What you mentioned about Cal State Fullerton is very much the exception rather than the rule. Its extremely rare for a team to host with an RPI outside of the top 20. I'd bet CSF last year was probably one of only 2 or 3 teams at most in the past 5 years or so that has done it.

HoopsDawg
04-04-2016, 01:55 PM
We need to keep winning and hope the committee uses some measure of common sense. The UCONN women were #3 in the RPI this year so let that sink in.

bulldogcountry1
04-04-2016, 03:05 PM
I don't know why its so hard for some people to understand this. We don't have a tough nonconference schedule....at all. I know we tried to, but it just didn't work out. I think people see the names like Oregon, UCLA, USC, and Oklahoma and assume because of the names on the jerseys that even though they are having down years they are still solid opponents, but they aren't with the possible exception of UCLA. But they are fading fast as well. USM, South Alabama, and Florida Atlantic would all take 2 of 3 at worst (and might sweep) all of those teams.

Our opponent's win % is 0.570
UM's opponent's win % is 0.614

That's half the RPI right there.