PDA

View Full Version : Ole Miss baseball series thoughts- Perception Week Champions! MSU

Todd4State
04-04-2016, 12:12 AM
We won perception week! We beat USM and then took two out of three from Ole Miss and now for the most part our fans feel pretty good about our program right now. Being in first place in the SEC West also helps as well. Obviously, a sweep would have been even better- but there is no shame for MSU fans right now when you are at the water cooler when it comes to baseball. Case in point- some Ole Miss fan tweeted to Kendall Rogers about Bianco being fired after this season after the Saturday game. Another case in point- the huge attendance turnout- including yours truly- from MSU fans. That was AWESOME to see. I have no doubt we will keep that up in two weeks with SBW coming up. Fun series overall. It was a series we HAD to win at home after last season- not just getting swept but overall having a losing season. We restored some order for now at least until the Governor's Cup. Which I think will be big for both teams.

Dakota Hudson pitched about as well as you could ever hope for. He is a legit SEC ace- and not many teams have one like him. His cutter is filthy. Sexton was almost as good- and I felt bad that he didn't get the shutout that he deserved. I don't think he is in Hudson's class- but he's pretty close in terms of college pitchers and while he won't be a first round pick I could definitely see him going in the top five rounds easily. He's making himself some money. Great to see them come back this year and shove it down Ole Miss's throats after what happened to them in Oxford last year. I LOVED it when Hudson struck out one of their hitters and then stared down their dugout. THAT is what I want to see from our pitchers.

I got pissed off when I saw that Daniel Brown was starting. Before the game I saw Houston standing by the bullpen and I actually went through some denial stage where I was hoping that Cohen was going to pull one on Bianco. It didn't happen. The thing I don't understand about Brown starting was they already obviously lost confidence in him before last week- why go back to him when you have Houston, Pilkington, heck- even Breaux or Small as possible options? I could understand if all other options had been exhausted. I know everyone has a different opinion on who should start and most of you know that I think Houston should start. But my reasoning is Houston in his last start was really good- which makes him not getting another shot puzzling to me. In fact at the time he actually had BETTER stats than Brown did AS A STARTER. And that was before Brown fell off the wagon. Houston also had an ERA of 1.68 in the Cape and struck out 24 in 21.3 innings which included four starts. Houston also has an ERA that is a more than respectable 2.68 right now too. That said, I bet they will let Pilkington get the start. They are enamored with the freshmen- well one of them was hitting 98 today so I can understand. But that doesn't mean that they are the best option.

We lost today because of our starting pitcher. Everything else that happened stemmed from his start which I seen it Dawg accurately described as non-competitive.

It forced us to extend our bullpen- and that caused us some problems. Collateral damage basically. I thought Rigby pitched really well. He got the double play ball we needed and then Collins let it go between his legs. Small was electric. I love the way he attacked their hitters. I thought Blake Smith and Tatum pitched pretty well also- again we had to extend Blake to try to steal an inning to make up from the lack of a start we got and he gave up a ground rule double when he really should have been out of the game. Tatum kept the ball down and held a runner at third with less than two outs. Something he can build on. Reid was up and down- he got us out of jam but then got himself into trouble the next inning by walking two guys and hitting another. But then he calmed down and even though he allowed a hit he got it back together.

Elih Marrero had a really good weekend. He controlled the running game for the most part, but what really impressed me was his hitting. He had a key double to tie the game up today. I love the way he plays too.

Lowe is coming around. He still hits a lot of balls right at people- but he hit a home run to left center off of Short who I think is their best pitcher. Plus Short is LH too which makes it even more impressive. By the end of the year I think he is going to be tearing it up. Collins hit a ball that still hasn't landed yet. He has gotten a LOT better defensively- but his error today was a killer. Collins is starting to hit the ball a little bit better too.

Holland is slumping pretty bad right now. It might be about time to bring back LA or go with Stovall. Gridley was pretty solid all weekend. He just battles the pitcher every time up and makes them work.

Robson getting hurt is not good. I don't know what happened other than he can't grip a bat. We saw what he could do on Friday night when he got into their pitchers head and caused the bad throw which he scored all the way from first on to give us a cushion. We need him back for Florida because we need someone that can steal bases against Florida in a low scoring game. I freaking love Jake Mangum because it's pretty apparent that he hates Ole Miss almost as much as me. He gets a home run and then just wreaked havoc on them ALL weekend. The only problem is he has to reign it in because he got a little out of control there trying to catch everything that they hit on Saturday plus he got thrown out at third and picked off second once. They get to deal with him for two more years- I'm sure they are looking forward to it. Cody Brown did his usual. Reid had a good series also outside of a couple of at bats. Especially on Friday against their ace.

With all due respect to the rest of our opponents Florida is probably going to be the best team we see during the regular season. They have three starting pitchers that could/should go in the first round when they are draft eligible. That doesn't include their OF that's a probable first round pick and their third baseman who might win freshman of the year. Plus it's in Florida where they are almost unbeatable right now. In fact they HAVEN'T lost a game at home this year. Hudson and Sexton are going to give us a fighting chance in games one and two, but us getting swept is very possible. I'll be satisfied if we manage to somehow win one. I'm 100% sure that they will be number one in the country- they just swept the former number one team in Texas A&M.

We also have UT-Martin on Tuesday and that is a MUST win because of the EKU debacle. It's not a high pressure game, and I'm not worried about it- but we MUST take care of business. They split a series with Jackson State for Heaven's sakes. So, yeah- cancelling game two was the right move on our part. Playing them twice doesn't do anything for us.

Great weekend and Hail State!

Commercecomet24
04-04-2016, 12:27 AM
Great analysts again, Todd. Really like reading these weekly write ups. Keep em coming. It was good to beat usm(hate them almost as much as unm) and win the series against unm. I'm hoping Zac gets a Sunday start(can't be much worse than what we been getting).

Todd4State
04-04-2016, 12:43 AM
Thank you!

I enjoy writing them.

sbcmortgageman
04-04-2016, 04:55 AM
Wasn't it sexton that stared them down on Saturday after a big K and not Dakota?

msbulldog
04-04-2016, 06:30 AM
Good write-up Todd!

dawgoneyall
04-04-2016, 06:40 AM
Wasn't it sexton that stared them down on Saturday after a big K and not Dakota?

Both but Hudson was the most evident. Twice.

MarketingBully
04-04-2016, 06:49 AM
That is what Wes Johnson has told them to do after a strike out. It's part of the baseball is 90% mental/10% physical mindset Johnson has. Personally, I think Johnson has done a great job as our pitching coach.

RocketDawg
04-04-2016, 07:28 AM
It's obvious you are a dedicated MSU baseball fan. :) I don't follow baseball all that closely, and don't even know all the players' names. But I'm getting there, to an extent. It sure would have been nice to have won yesterday though since we always tend to remember what happened more recently.

From a brief look at the schedule, it looks like we only play the Bears one more time, in Jackson. So there's no series in Oxford?

Seems like a good move by Cohen to cancel one game with MTSU and have a full roster of fresh pitchers for Florida. That will be an interesting series. Is the consensus that Pilkington will move into a starting role for the weekend?

RocketDawg
04-04-2016, 07:29 AM
That is what Wes Johnson has told them to do after a strike out. It's part of the baseball is 90% mental/10% physical mindset Johnson has. Personally, I think Johnson has done a great job as our pitching coach.

Thought it was 90% mental and the other half was physical ....

bulldogcountry1
04-04-2016, 08:10 AM
Good info as usual.

I really like this team. There is an energy in the dugout that I haven't seen since 2013. If we can just clean some things up, we will be a force.

Rooker is a popup machine right now, Kruger looks a bit overwhelmed, and Collins is...batting .261 and fielding .901. He's getting a lot of rope from Cohen, and I guess I just don't see it. His fielding is still pretty rough because he doesn't try to field anything in front of him. If a ball is to his right, he just reaches for it. If its to his left, he tries the position himself for the throw before he fields the ball and still reaches. Either way, if he doesn't field it cleanly, it's in LF. I'd like to see Hump get a shot at 3rd and DH Collins.

Concerning Wes Johnson, I think he's a good hire and will eventually build a good staff, but, we have only 3 guys out of 17 that we can truly count on right now. We have a very small margin of error, and someone is going to have to emerge as an inning eater.

I was quite surprised to see Brown get the start yesterday. I just don't see that what staff sees, I suppose. Also, after dominating UM with two righties Friday and Saturday, they were probably happy to see a lefty for a change. I would have rather seen Houston. I'm not sure why he didn't even make an appearance, unless they plan to start him Tuesday.

basedog
04-04-2016, 08:25 AM
Nice Todd, Florida is probably the best team in the Sec right now especially at home but they can be beat. Baseball has ups and downs and Kentucky proved they are beatable.

If Collins, Kruger and Rooker get hot we will be a dangerous team. I still think we will find that 3rd starter soon, Cohen said last night that we have several arms that haven't had a shot at starting and they will be given a chance starting this week.

BB30
04-04-2016, 08:27 AM
Florida will be tough but you have got to like our chances with the way Hudson and Sexton are throwing the ball. Florida's lineup is a tough one to navigate there is power and speed all through the order it should be a great series.

Dawg496
04-04-2016, 08:34 AM
What's going on with Florida's starting pitcher? Something about a pitcher moving to Sunday and then he got injured and left the game?

CJDAWG85
04-04-2016, 08:37 AM
Someone needs to have a camera on Cole Gordon at all times in the dugout. Especially when Marrero comes up. Funniest damn thing I've ever seen. He had the 1st base side of grandstand in tears and got a standing ovation a few times.

AlSwearengen
04-04-2016, 09:45 AM
Concerning Collins, there is a belief in the baseball world that when a player is trying to learn and adjust to a new defensive position, they will struggle some offensively. That could be what is going on with him. We know the guy can hit and the coaching staff has made it clear in meetings with broadcast personnel that they think he is a top level hitter. I don't really have a problem with him being in the lineup, especially considering we are still early in the season.

maroonmania
04-04-2016, 10:25 AM

Until we have an at least ADEQUATE 3rd starter then I'm not sure you can go any higher than he has done a good job. I just can't believe with the numerous candidates we have with pitchers that we can't find ONE additional guy to step up to be competent as a 3rd starter and at least give us a chance to win on Sundays.

I seen it dawg
04-04-2016, 10:43 AM
It's obvious Collins is working his ass off on his defense. It's light years ahead of where he was a month ago. He made a couple of nice footwork plays this weekend that he couldn't have made a month ago. The errors are bad but it takes a year or 2 to be able to be good at 3rd in the sec and he has had way less than that. As far as I'm concerned he is ahead of where most would be in the same situation.

maroonmania
04-04-2016, 11:03 AM
It's obvious Collins is working his ass off on his defense. It's light years ahead of where he was a month ago. He made a couple of nice footwork plays this weekend that he couldn't have made a month ago. The errors are bad but it takes a year or 2 to be able to be good at 3rd in the sec and he has had way less than that. As far as I'm concerned he is ahead of where most would be in the same situation.

You have to give Collins credit for improving over there. Yes, he made an error yesterday but at this point he is no more of a defensive liability at 3rd than we've had over the past few years with Britton, Reynolds, Detz, Frost, etc.

maroonmania
04-04-2016, 11:15 AM
So how did Robson injure his hand? I guess I missed that play.

Percho
04-04-2016, 11:33 AM
This team cannot have errors on Sunday. They have got to pick up the confidence of the pitchers, then all will be well. IMO

I seen it dawg
04-04-2016, 12:37 PM
This team cannot have errors on Sunday. They have got to pick up the confidence of the pitchers, then all will be well. IMO

The starting pitcher has to set the tone for the team and the game. And the starting pitcher has been doing that...