PDA

View Full Version : 2 weeks from today

msstate7
08-15-2013, 09:02 AM
Vandys gonna whip OM #anchordown. I'm pumped football is almost here

MemphisDawg
08-15-2013, 09:26 AM
And we wonder why they think we are so obsessed with them.

Why not just say

"In 2 weeks football starts!!!"

Everyone always has to find a way to relate it back to the bears.

msstate7
08-15-2013, 09:32 AM
Bc it does start with them. Are you offended by my vandy reference also? If the first game was bama-vt and I said the tide will roll, would you be offended?

Goat Holder
08-15-2013, 09:47 AM
I wouldn't count on this.

ShotgunDawg
08-15-2013, 09:50 AM

Why not just say

I've never understood why it has to be such a dick swinging fest for one fan base to try to ACT less obsessed than the other. As we have seen by the last week, both fan bases are obsessed with each other, and I, honestly, am not sure whats wrong with it.

They steal recruits from, compete with us for every recruit, talk shit to us, blame everything on us, and beat us on the field last year, and I'm supposed to just ignore them?????

No, I want to beat their ass

I think the rivalry ultimately helps both schools, especially when it gets national attention and becomes a game people want to play in. I see nothing wrong with being obsessed with them. Not sure why we try to hide it.

TopDog58
08-15-2013, 10:11 AM
I've never understood why it has to be such a dick swinging fest for one fan base to try to ACT less obsessed than the other. As we have seen by the last week, both fan bases are obsessed with each other, and I, honestly, am not sure whats wrong with it.

They steal recruits from, compete with us for every recruit, talk shit to us, blame everything on us, and beat us on the field last year, and I'm supposed to just ignore them?????

No, I want to beat their ass

I think the rivalry ultimately helps both schools, especially when it gets national attention and becomes a game people want to play in. I see nothing wrong with being obsessed with them. Not sure why we try to hide it.

Exactly. Mississippi fans try to act like the obsession is one sided because they all have this perceived level of success that most of them weren't even alive to witness.

I'm 40 years old. I've seen MSU and Mississippi each have a 10 win season. I've seen each program play in the Cotton Bowl and the Gator Bowl. I've only seen one play for an SEC championship and it wasn't Mississippi.

However, to think the obsession is one sided is idiotic. If that were the case there would be no PIs, Julie Gibberts, Ramada Inns, 20 Buckles, etc

And for a fanbase that tries to play off their lack of obsession with MSU, there sure are a lot of callers on Jacktown radio like Nails and Rebel Jacob whose only mission is to rip on MSU and Mullen in particular.

biscuit
08-15-2013, 10:12 AM
Go Dores

CJDAWG85
08-15-2013, 10:29 AM
Public money will get slaughtered in that one...

OM's DB's will have a nightmare of a game trying to contain the Vandy WR's

RougeDawg
08-15-2013, 10:50 AM
I wouldn't count on this.

That's all I need to know to logically come to a conclusion that Vandy will win going away. If Wallace is not 100% like all reports indicate, this one may get ugly early.

Looking at their schedule, they really only have more talent than SE Mizzou, Idaho, and Troy(though they are tough). They're probably evenly matched talent wise with Mizzou, but could easily lost this one. Those are the 4 best chances they have at W's, if they stay 100% healthy. If Wallace is in the 75% range where it seems, and gets banged up, or is forced to change his running game, their chances begin to decrease. Add in the fact of other teams have had the entire off season to dissect Freeze's offense and tendencies. Yr 2 is never easy, unless you can rent a mule like Cam.

Vandy is damn good. I'm glad we dont play them. They've put together a good 3-4 recruiting classes in a row and Franklin has done a great job motivating them. They had South Carolina dead to rights last year and made some costly mistakes.

hailmari
08-15-2013, 11:08 AM
I never thought I'd ever give a crap about a UMiss/Vandy game, but I actually think this one will be a good watch. I'm not as sold on Vandy winning, though. It'll be a game.

Johnson85
08-15-2013, 11:21 AM
I think you're putting too much stock into coach speak. I'm sure Wallace isn't quite 100%, but I doubt he's any worse off than he was for most of last year. And while UM isn't extremely talented, is there any reason to think they won't be at least as talented, if not more talented, than last year?

It was a close game last year and I would expect it to be a close game this year. I wouldn't be shocked to see UM implode this year, but I don't see anything to make it expected.

RougeDawg
08-15-2013, 11:21 AM

When setting a line like that, early on with Vandy -3 I believe. With most OM fans thinking they are going to be competing for the West this year, the majority of them think Vandy is already a W, so they jump on the points early, putting most public money on OM and moving the line in their favor. As result, now they believe they are favored because their early and heavy betting moved the line that way. Vegas is set for a major pay day on this one unless people load up on Vandy money line in the next 2 weeks.

ShotgunDawg
08-15-2013, 11:27 AM
I think you're putting too much stock into coach speak. I'm sure Wallace isn't quite 100%, but I doubt he's any worse off than he was for most of last year. And while UM isn't extremely talented, is there any reason to think they won't be at least as talented, if not more talented, than last year?

It was a close game last year and I would expect it to be a close game this year. I wouldn't be shocked to see UM implode this year, but I don't see anything to make it expected.

They may be more talented than last year, but this year, Bucky doesn't have the element of surprise with his offense, and D-coordinators will have had all off season to figure it out. Plus, OM played with an energy and chip on their shoulder last year that will be hard to replicate. Last year they never had a let down in energy and effort. My guess is that at some point this year, they do.

Goat Holder
08-15-2013, 11:29 AM
Vandy does not have more talent. Come on. Put the emotions aside, and quit thinking like a talking head. Vandy lost their QB too. This one may get ugly, but not in the Commodores' favor. The bears aren't typically ready to play vs. Vandy either, but this is different, it's a season opener.

CJDAWG85
08-15-2013, 11:48 AM
When setting a line like that, early on with Vandy -3 I believe. With most OM fans thinking they are going to be competing for the West this year, the majority of them think Vandy is already a W, so they jump on the points early, putting most public money on OM and moving the line in their favor. As result, now they believe they are favored because their early and heavy betting moved the line that way. Vegas is set for a major pay day on this one unless people load up on Vandy money line in the next 2 weeks.

Really hoping this line goes up to 4. I absolutely LOVE Vandy getting 4 pts at home.

FISHDAWG
08-15-2013, 11:55 AM
-3 means Vandy is GIVING points ... not getting

Maroons
08-15-2013, 12:28 PM

Pretty sure it's OM -3 right now.

War Machine Dawg
08-15-2013, 12:47 PM

Why not just say

Red Flag.

RougeDawg
08-15-2013, 12:49 PM

Hence the reason I said OM is now favored because the majority of the money was put on them.

Jack Lambert
08-15-2013, 01:02 PM

Why not just say

Who cares what they think. I just like getting under their skin.

bgdog
08-15-2013, 01:26 PM

As soon as vandy hits +4 I'm buying

CJDAWG85
08-15-2013, 02:06 PM
As soon as vandy hits +4 I'm buying

You and me both!

blacklistedbully
08-15-2013, 06:13 PM
Hence the reason I said OM is now favored because the majority of the money was put on them.

I don't think it's just OM money. OM seems to be the fashionable pick for many fans of other teams. Those same folks are pretty sure we're gonna suck this year.

I can't help but blieve these are folks who are:
A) Buying into media hype
B) Not taking more than a cursory look at what actually happened in OM games last year. For instance, folks see their 3-point loss to TAMU and think that means OM was/is very close to closing the gap. But what they aren;t factoring in is OM enjoyed a +4 t/o margin in that 3-point loss. Prognosticators consider a t/o worth -4 to the team giving it and +4 for the team getting it. In a head-to-head matchup, that's an 8-point swing. So in reality, a 3-point loss to TAMU when they had a +4 t/o margin is actually really bad, closer to a 35-point blowout loss if all things were equal. Folks also forget, or discount the way Texas routed them in the first game, perhaps at that time, people thought Texas was a great team. They turned out not to be, but that game was so far in the past, folks don't consider it.

People don't seem to realize that the only D1 team with a winning record they beat last year was us! And we know who shitastic we looked last year. Even given how poorly we schemed and played last year, we still had a tie game at the 1/2. Be just got snow-balled in the 2nd. Considering how we played, in particular in 6 of the last 7 games, how much credit shoudl they be getting for the win over us? (And yes, I know that slams us as well, but we all admit we were not playing well last year, and especially not scheming well on defense).

Radddawg
08-15-2013, 08:24 PM
OM's freshmen have been buying into the hype and reading too many magazines saying they will win 8 or 9 games... Vandy will knock them down a few pegs after they whoop their asses by 2 TDs... The Bears have always been Franklin's bitch during his time in Nashville.

PassInterference
08-15-2013, 08:42 PM
Vandy is Ole Miss's Arkansas. You can usually count on big V to disappoint the Bears. But Vandy has a true freshman QB, right? I'm not real comfortable about that.

Radddawg
08-15-2013, 08:50 PM
Vandy's starting QB is Carta-Samuels... He is a transfer from Wyoming... Dual threat QB who will probably have a career day against the Rebels young, banged up secondary... Vandy signal callers usually register season highs in stats when they play the Gummi Bears.

PassInterference
08-15-2013, 09:00 PM
This Wyoming?

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=252670145

Radddawg
08-15-2013, 09:36 PM
Haha.. Yep... That's the one... I forgot they lost to Wyoming back to back years... Orgeron's teams were just terrible in every facet of the game.