PDA

View Full Version : UT Martin DH now a single game

starkvegasdawg
04-03-2016, 07:26 PM
Haven't heard of a reason for the change.

Coach34
04-03-2016, 07:28 PM
They may not admit it- but it's because we only have 3 pitchers

I seen it dawg
04-03-2016, 07:28 PM
Good move with the stretch we are in.

engie
04-03-2016, 07:32 PM
Avoiding the rpi hit

Todd4State
04-03-2016, 08:09 PM
Avoiding the rpi hit

This. If Keegan starts Pilkington is starting Sunday.

Plus we can't take any chances after losing to EKU.

HSVDawg
04-03-2016, 08:10 PM
Avoiding the rpi hit

It's a good move. UT Martin is basically a SWAC team in terms of the RPI. Playing them twice would suck.

Coach34
04-03-2016, 08:12 PM
The thing is- this would normally be a really good chance to get our back half of the bullpen guys some much needed work. But we can't afford to take the risk

dawgoneyall
04-03-2016, 09:21 PM
Avoiding the rpi hit

Bingo

HSVDawg
04-03-2016, 09:31 PM
The thing is- this would normally be a really good chance to get our back half of the bullpen guys some much needed work. But we can't afford to take the risk

Well how much "work" they'd be getting kind of depends on the opponent anyways. Not really much they can do to get better against an opponent as weak as UT Martin. We could start somebody like Keegan James and he could throw 9 shutout innings, and it still wouldn't really mean anything. It'd be like patting our offensive line on the back after rushing for 300 yards on Alcorn.

Coach34
04-03-2016, 09:36 PM
Any time true freshmen get on the mound in a college baseball game is time well spent

chef dixon
04-03-2016, 10:33 PM
I love how you can just change your schedule like that. Its silly, but probably for the best.

HSVDawg
04-03-2016, 10:45 PM
Any time true freshmen get on the mound in a college baseball game is time well spent

I don't necessarily disagree, but I also don't think that extra work is worth the RPI hit from playing an additional game against a #272 team. As bad as our bullpen has been, we should be able to easily handle UT Martin, and even if we struggled there is still a strong possibilty of us scoring 10 or 15 runs to offset it. The risk of us losing is extremely small. The risk of our RPI dropping an additional 8 to 10 spots just from playing the second game is about 100%. That is why the additional game was cancelled.

Commercecomet24
04-03-2016, 11:07 PM

Yep live reps always for the best no matter who you're playing.

Todd4State
04-03-2016, 11:15 PM
I love how you can just change your schedule like that. Its silly, but probably for the best.

I think UT-Martin is going to be OK with it. $$$$$

maroonmania
04-04-2016, 05:20 PM
Folks like UCLA, Oregon, USC, OK, etc. were supposed to make up for the lousy RPI teams we had scheduled this year. Those teams have not lived up to their billing so we can't afford to play 2 games against a team as bad RPI-wise as UT-Martin. Pretty simple logic really.

Taog Redloh
04-04-2016, 08:09 PM
This damn RPI stuff has gotten old. We have players that need reps. But instead of getting those reps in an easy W (hopefully), we are cancelling games for a damn formula that takes into account our opponents' opponents. And the damned committee listens to it.

chef dixon
04-04-2016, 09:01 PM
This damn RPI stuff has gotten old. We have players that need reps. But instead of getting those reps in an easy W (hopefully), we are cancelling games for a damn formula that takes into account our opponents' opponents. And the damned committee listens to it.

I agree. Obviously the polls think we are pretty damn good regardless and I think that will matter a lot in the end.

maroonmania
04-04-2016, 09:01 PM

Exactly, RPI sucks. #1 item used by the post-season committees and as someone else noted just the fact that RPI would have ANYONE in women's BB #1 other than UCONN tells you its significantly flawed.