PDA

View Full Version : Our Sunday options right now are awful

Coach34
04-03-2016, 04:55 PM
8 runs today- although the defense gave them some help. We are not even giving ourselves a chance on Sunday at this point. We need to throw a Freshman out there and see if he can swim. Brown is not the answer.

Coach34
04-03-2016, 04:56 PM
And not only that- if we have to get in the pen on a Friday or Saturday- we're ****ed. We are a 3 pitcher team right now.

shoeless joe
04-03-2016, 05:15 PM
No doubt. We need someone with an edge that isn't phased by what's going on around them to step up...can mangum pitch?!?!?

I seen it dawg
04-03-2016, 05:22 PM
Our whole team has the tone set by the Sunday starter. And the tone with Brown is total dogshit. Brown doesn't compete and that in turn affects the whole team which is why we are such a clown troupe on Sunday's. We have to run somebody out there the team has a little confidence in that they will at least compete. They don't have to be Hudson or Sexton but ****ing compete goddammit.

Rigby competes. Start him and chase him with Small who goes right at people. Hump is good for 4-6 hitters. Shit that's 21-24 outs right there. We have the rest of the pen to match up with. Or give Pilkington a chance. Anybody but Brown, Houston, or Tatum.

Irondawg
04-03-2016, 05:33 PM
I still say try Tatum. You'll know in 3 batters if it's good or bad

I seen it dawg
04-03-2016, 05:35 PM

Sets the tone from the get go. And if he is bad then we are ****ed again. And on top of that he has done absolutely nothing to earn a Sunday start. Just like Houston.

Coach34
04-03-2016, 05:35 PM
Only problem starting Rigby is we need him to close on Friday-Sat. Hud and Sexton won't keep going 9

I seen it dawg
04-03-2016, 05:36 PM
No doubt. We need someone with an edge that isn't phased by what's going on around them to step up...can mangum pitch?!?!?

He and Stovall can probably play every position on the field. You can bet your ass he will compete.

mic
04-03-2016, 05:38 PM

And if he is bad you have given up a run or 2 and he has but the team behind the eight ball..
If these 2 guys .. Tatum and Houston can't get outs in blow games or mid week games what makes anyone think they are able to in weekend games with games in the balance..

msstate7
04-03-2016, 05:39 PM
Only problem starting Rigby is we need him to close on Friday-Sat. Hud and Sexton won't keep going 9

This is the problem... We have 3 pitchers. Had Hudson or sexton not gone complete games, rigby would've pitched Friday or Saturday and we'd have given up 12 today

I seen it dawg
04-03-2016, 05:39 PM

I know. I'd actually lean to Small and let him rip. And pray like hell Rigby doesn't have to go on a Saturday. As unorthodox as it sounds I wanted Hudson to go Saturday's with the though Sexton may need the pen more than Hudson. You can't think that way thought you just have to find guys that can ****ing compete on Sunday. If you get beat with those guys then so be it at least you competed. Running Brown out there isn't competing bc he won't.

Run the guys out there that will compete and see what happens.

mic
04-03-2016, 05:41 PM
I have zero issue with starting any of these freshman on Sunday
At least Small ran out there and said ****ing hit me and didn't shit himself.. He wasn't stellar but who has been on Sunday..
He ran it up there 94- 96 ( at least that's what the scoreboard gun said)

msstate7
04-03-2016, 05:42 PM
At least Small ran out there and said ****ing hit me and didn't shit himself.. He wasn't stellar but who has been on Sunday..

I love small's potential. We missed a big opportunity today to try pilkington, breaux, or James

smootness
04-03-2016, 05:48 PM
I would play Sunday by ear. If we haven't used Rigby yet in a weekend, or have only pitching him an inning or so, then we should try to piggy-back him and Pilkington. I'm ok with Brown, but he needs to be used situationally.

If Rigby can't go on Sunday, then I would go with Pilkington and Breaux, even though they're both lefties.

Bully13
04-03-2016, 06:11 PM
I know this Sunday shit sux, but damn sure like the aforementioned shit from yesteryear that been our mainstay is no longer our regular sec series outing

mic
04-03-2016, 06:19 PM
Brown goes to the back of the line for Sunday..
Just keep running a different guy out there to start. If they can't get the job done.. Back of the line they go..

IMissJack
04-03-2016, 06:22 PM
So who's it gonna be next year?

MarketingBully
04-03-2016, 06:36 PM
Small pitched pretty well for an inning. Should have had no runs scored on him too since that Ole Miss player was gunned down at the plate. Would have really really sucked if we had lost 6-5 and the blown ump call would have cost us the game.

MarketingBully
04-03-2016, 06:37 PM
So who's it gonna be next year?

We have a number of options. I think Padget, Breaux, and Small will be great starters for us in time.

tcdog70
04-03-2016, 06:43 PM
Start Small and let Him get a rhythm. He should be able to go 5 plus easy. Surely he won't do any worse.

Steakonastick
04-03-2016, 06:51 PM
I start Houston this Sunday vs Florida. He wants to start so here is his shot. If he sucks, you throw Pilkington one or innings vs Memphis. Then he starts Sunday vs A&M.

MetEdDawg
04-03-2016, 06:53 PM
Yeah no Breaux today shocked me. I think him, Small, or Pilkington should get the nod. 3 missed sweep opportunities because we can't find a 3rd starter is awful. It's clearly not Daniel Brown. Let Breaux, Small, or Pilk take a run at it.

parabrave
04-03-2016, 07:50 PM
Pitching by committee will never get you anywhere. Coach Cohen is just going to have to go to one of the guys who he thinks can get the job done and tell him YOU ARE IT and stick with him. This will give the team some sort of Consistency and help the defense adjust to his style of pitching.

HoopsDawg
04-03-2016, 07:55 PM
For me, I go Small 100% and tell him he's going 5.

wasabaka
04-03-2016, 07:56 PM
Guys, this is just like having Trevor Fitts on Sundays a couple of years ago. He could go out there and give you 5 decent innings, or need to be pulled after 25 pitches. You never knew what you were going to get. It is what it is, and that team turned out to be pretty good. As long as we can keep holding serve on Fridays and Saturdays, I'm fine with having a swinging gate from the bullpen if the Sunday starter can't produce. We will be alright.

Todd4State
04-03-2016, 07:58 PM
R
Our whole team has the tone set by the Sunday starter. And the tone with Brown is total dogshit. Brown doesn't compete and that in turn affects the whole team which is why we are such a clown troupe on Sunday's. We have to run somebody out there the team has a little confidence in that they will at least compete. They don't have to be Hudson or Sexton but ****ing compete goddammit.

Rigby competes. Start him and chase him with Small who goes right at people. Hump is good for 4-6 hitters. Shit that's 21-24 outs right there. We have the rest of the pen to match up with. Or give Pilkington a chance. Anybody but Brown, Houston, or Tatum.

Every word about Brown I agree with 100%.

I understand why you feel the way you do about Houston but I think part of the problem there is Houston is better as a starting pitcher and Brown is better out of the bullpen in short relief. I think that's why Brown doesn't compete- he's trying to hold something back for the second- third time through the order. He only has two decent pitches.

The last time Houston started he struck out 10 and walked one. Yes against crap competition but he went five innings and has at least as good a chance as some of the freshmen at succeeding

And I could be totally wrong about Houston- I'd only ask 3-5 innings out of him- but I think it's worth finding out at this point because I don't think Pilkington is ready and Keegan showed us he wasn't last weekend.

Todd4State
04-03-2016, 08:00 PM
Guys, this is just like having Trevor Fitts on Sundays a couple of years ago. He could go out there and give you 5 decent innings, or need to be pulled after 25 pitches. You never knew what you were going to get. It is what it is, and that team turned out to be pretty good. As long as we can keep holding serve on Fridays and Saturdays, I'm fine with having a swinging gate from the bullpen if the Sunday starter can't produce. We will be alright.

I'd kill for Trevor Fitts starting on Sundays right now. Brown reminds me of Lindgren starting in 2013 but worse.

Todd4State
04-03-2016, 08:01 PM
For me, I go Small 100% and tell him he's going 5.

Bad idea. He has gotten hit hard after going one. That's why his ERA is through the roof.

Todd4State
04-03-2016, 08:05 PM
Pitching by committee will never get you anywhere. Coach Cohen is just going to have to go to one of the guys who he thinks can get the job done and tell him YOU ARE IT and stick with him. This will give the team some sort of Consistency and help the defense adjust to his style of pitching.

Brown has made every start except for last week. Consistency has been the problem in this case. I'm 90% sure they are going with Pilkington on Sundays going forward anyway.

I still think my idea about going with Houston would be better but USM is fairly comparable to an average SEC team and if we get that kind of a performance out of our staff on Sunday- I'll take it.

baseballfan
04-03-2016, 08:11 PM
Bad idea. He has gotten hit hard after going one. That's why his ERA is through the roof.

I disagree. He's not a bullpen guy. Been told some of those times he went in he didn't even get to throw 5 pitches before he came in. Gotta use the strengths of the pitchers. Small competes. He can go 5. He did it against our hitters all fall and spring. It's time to start him and let him give it a go.

Coach34
04-03-2016, 08:19 PM
Small could give us 3-4 innings in a start. We haven't gotten that on Sunday yet

preachermatt83
04-03-2016, 08:23 PM
The answer seems obvious to me, Pilkington

It_Could_Happen
04-03-2016, 08:27 PM
What about Noah Hughes?

Saltydog
04-03-2016, 08:30 PM
move the rotation around? Say, move Hudson and/or Sexton back a day. You have to know those two guys are going to have a poor performance sooner or later. Could that somewhat be mitigated by moving one or both of these guys around a day or two? Just trying to think of something because our pitching is shit after our first two guys.

baseballfan
04-03-2016, 08:32 PM

Dude he hit 98 today.

Saltydog
04-03-2016, 08:32 PM
pitched well against Vandy but I seriously doubt he could consistently to that.

maroonmania
04-03-2016, 08:33 PM
Reading this thread, its obvious this board is as confused about who should be thrown out there on Sunday as Cohen and Johnson are.

msstate7
04-03-2016, 08:35 PM
move the rotation around? Say, move Hudson and/or Sexton back a day. You have to know those two guys are going to have a poor performance sooner or later. Could that somewhat be mitigated by moving one or both of these guys around a day or two? Just trying to think of something because our pitching is shit after our first two guys.

We've had a chance to sweep all 3 series. I wouldn't change a thing the 1st 2 games

Ralph
04-03-2016, 08:35 PM
Is Jared Padgett hurt?

cheewgumm
04-03-2016, 09:52 PM
Hughes or Breaux

chef dixon
04-03-2016, 10:30 PM
All I know is as it currently stands, Florida will score 15 runs on Sunday.

CadaverDawg
04-04-2016, 12:08 AM
To me it's this simple....who do you see replacing Hudson and Sexton in the rotation next year? Who is in your future rotation? Whoever those few guys are....pick one and they are the Sunday guy. Sink or swim. We are wasting valuable SEC experience by giving Brown, Houston, Tatum, etc, their weekly whiplash session on Sunday....it's time to realize that the freshmen have higher ceilings, so let them get to those ceilings by beginning to log valuable innings against the big boys on Sunday. They may surprise us after a start or two....definitely can't do any worse than Brown.

Tatum, Brown, Houston don't have the mental makeup to get it done, so it isn't going to magically happen. Let's start prepping our future rotation, and who knows, we may end up with a reliable third starter come later this season if we get him his bumps and bruises Now. Don't wait until later, the Brown/Houston/Tatum experiment is over...it failed. Too many talented arms with high ceilings need valuable innings right now to be wasting them on veterans that don't have the mental makeup to get the job done.

Let's not over complicate it.

Jack Lambert
04-04-2016, 12:14 AM
Pitching did not cost us today. It was ass play by the in field.

Todd4State
04-04-2016, 12:17 AM
I disagree. He's not a bullpen guy. Been told some of those times he went in he didn't even get to throw 5 pitches before he came in. Gotta use the strengths of the pitchers. Small competes. He can go 5. He did it against our hitters all fall and spring. It's time to start him and let him give it a go.

Eventually he will be as good or better than Hudson if he stays healthy. But what he did in the spring doesn't mean squat. Daniel Brown dominated our hitters at times too.

In actual live competition he hasn't shown me that he can go more than one inning. Believe you me I hope he turns the corner soon- but as of today as good as he was I don't think he is ready to go five at all. He gave up a run in ONE inning today.

HSVDawg
04-04-2016, 12:23 AM
To me it's this simple....who do you see replacing Hudson and Sexton in the rotation next year? Who is in your future rotation? Whoever those few guys are....pick one and they are the Sunday guy. Sink or swim. We are wasting valuable SEC experience by giving Brown, Houston, Tatum, etc, their weekly whiplash session on Sunday....it's time to realize that the freshmen have higher ceilings, so let them get to those ceilings by beginning to log valuable innings against the big boys on Sunday. They may surprise us after a start or two....definitely can't do any worse than Brown.

Tatum, Brown, Houston don't have the mental makeup to get it done, so it isn't going to magically happen. Let's start prepping our future rotation, and who knows, we may end up with a reliable third starter come later this season if we get him his bumps and bruises Now. Don't wait until later, the Brown/Houston/Tatum experiment is over...it failed. Too many talented arms with high ceilings need valuable innings right now to be wasting them on veterans that don't have the mental makeup to get the job done.

Agreed. I'd prefer that we go Pilkington with the next chance, then Breaux again if it doesn't work out with him. I would have Houston somewhere in the mix, but after 8 years of Cohen I think one thing we know he is never going to do is have three RHP's as our weekend starters if he can help it. That's probably why Brown has gotten as many chances as he has.

Todd4State
04-04-2016, 12:28 AM

We're going to have several guys competing- Small, Breaux, Hughes, Pilkington, and Keegan James. If we get Mitchell Miller in as a freshman I could see him competing for a spot as well. It's pretty clear to me that our coaches realize that our freshmen have higher ceilings- that's why they have thrown them out there so much. The PROBLEM is they are still freshmen. They have no experience and most of them can barely control their emotions on the mound and are too excited. I mean, Houston and Tatum two of the guys you are calling "failed experiments" have better numbers than most of the guys that are going to compete for spots next year.

And then you HAVE TO BE careful that you don't get freshmen too much exposure because then they can lose confidence. That could really mess us up going forward. I think that's a BIG reason why Breaux and Small aren't quite ready yet because we kept throwing them out there and leaving them out there to "figure it out" and then bad things happen. See FAU game one. And we were more conservative with Pilkington- and that's why he is ahead of those two at the moment.

Todd4State
04-04-2016, 12:33 AM
Agreed. I'd prefer that we go Pilkington with the next chance, then Breaux again if it doesn't work out with him. I would have Houston somewhere in the mix, but after 8 years of Cohen I think one thing we know he is never going to do is have three RHP's as our weekend starters if he can help it. That's probably why Brown has gotten as many chances as he has.

I think it's because they were hoping Houston could take over as the closer and be a guy throwing 100 MPH in the 8th and 9th and they think Brown has a high pitching IQ. The other thing about Houston is he has historically pitched better against LH heavy lineups and Ole Miss is RH heavy. I'm not sure how much that affected their overall decision today because I'm sure Pilkington was at least in the discussion to start as well.

Saltydog
04-04-2016, 08:28 AM
think of any other options. I fully expect us to get swept this weekend at UF. Losing games like the last one to UGA and yesterday is what is going to kill this team.

I seen it dawg
04-04-2016, 08:40 AM

And the starting pitcher sets the tone for the team...

maroonmania
04-04-2016, 10:55 AM
We're going to have several guys competing- Small, Breaux, Hughes, Pilkington, and Keegan James. If we get Mitchell Miller in as a freshman I could see him competing for a spot as well. It's pretty clear to me that our coaches realize that our freshmen have higher ceilings- that's why they have thrown them out there so much. The PROBLEM is they are still freshmen. They have no experience and most of them can barely control their emotions on the mound and are too excited. I mean, Houston and Tatum two of the guys you are calling "failed experiments" have better numbers than most of the guys that are going to compete for spots next year.

And then you HAVE TO BE careful that you don't get freshmen too much exposure because then they can lose confidence. That could really mess us up going forward. I think that's a BIG reason why Breaux and Small aren't quite ready yet because we kept throwing them out there and leaving them out there to "figure it out" and then bad things happen. See FAU game one. And we were more conservative with Pilkington- and that's why he is ahead of those two at the moment.

The fact that we brought in a multitude of high end pitchers this year and still don't have even one of them ready to be an SEC starter at this point would make me have grave reservations about counting on any true freshman that will be coming in next year at least for the first half on next year's SEC schedule, Mitch Miller included. Just have to hope that quite a few of these true freshmen this year take big steps for next year.

baseballfan
04-04-2016, 10:57 AM
Breaux and Small have pitched against higher competition. Our starters give up runs too, but stay out there and are able to work through it and get better. Breaux and Small need innings to work through some things. Facing one batter or pitching 1 inning is not getting them the needed time on the mound. These two are by far the best two freshmen pitchers. Neither one of them has got to start a game and see what they can do.

Bubb Rubb
04-04-2016, 12:18 PM
One important option that would help - score some runs on Sunday.

Saltydog
04-04-2016, 01:03 PM
plenty of runs to win a game but not when you're giving up an average of over 10 rpg.

maroonmania
04-04-2016, 02:09 PM

Our play in the field certainly was not helpful and on the other side I thought UNM played outstanding defense which probably saved them from us scoring an additional 2 or 3 runs. They made several very nice plays in the outfield and Bortles scarfed up at least 2 balls hit down to 3rd base that could have easily gone for hits.

tcdog70
04-04-2016, 05:27 PM
It is really simple. We don't walk anybody we win. We Start giving away free passes to first base we lose. Pound the strike zone. You can't load the base without giving up a hit. You cannot wild pitch and balk runners into scoring position. Throw ****ing strikes!!!

Dawg61
04-04-2016, 05:42 PM
Reading this thread, its obvious this board is as confused about who should be thrown out there on Sunday as Cohen and Johnson are.

Ha yeah it's comical at this point. Everyone is just naming every pitcher on staff.