PDA

View Full Version : How well will TR adapt to being under center in pro sets?

Thick
08-15-2013, 08:18 AM
I ask because of the word "time". He has a history of holding the ball too long, he's not the quickest cat, and our tackles can be suspect at times. Three step drops should not be an issue, but I'm more concerned with 5-7 step drops.

Has anyone heard how often DM plans on running pro sets? I'm just curious to see how the offense plays out; dual qb's, different styles, different schemes, new receiving corp, etc. A lot of different variables/options which can be bad or good.

chainedup_Dawg
08-15-2013, 08:28 AM
Not sure we will know until game time. I just hope coaches are pounding into his head that once he hits the top of his drop, the ball should come out

FISHDAWG
08-15-2013, 08:39 AM
I think the pro-style (with Russell) will set up defenses to be confused when Dak is inserted ... I also think we see Dak throw the ball a lot more this year than last in an effort to keep DC's off balance ... I think Russell will be just fine under center, sets up more roll-out type passing

Dawg61
08-15-2013, 08:42 AM
I'd say the biggest motivator for Russell getting rid of the ball is the threat of him getting hit. Tyler isn't one to shy away from contact but I'm not worried about him holding it too long. If anything this might give him an extra second before he must release it. It's extra plays the defense will have to spend time practicing for so it should help open up some holes to take advantage of. I only see this as a positive for the offense.

Jack Lambert
08-15-2013, 08:45 AM
I think TR is a pretty smart guy and has showed the ability to adapt. He has also improved each and every year from year one. I think this is going to turn out to be his best year.

BHildreth3
08-15-2013, 08:46 AM
under center means more opportunities for PLAY ACTION, which helps get the ball to one of our deepest units, the TIGHT ENDS/H BACKS. Also it helps tremendously with the running game. We've got to get the ball to our runningbacks faster. I hope that we use the Pistol and under center sets more than the Shotgun this year....again....we need to PASS WHEN WE WANT TO, NOT WHEN WE HAVE TO.

codeDawg
08-15-2013, 09:05 AM
I think the pro-style (with Russell) will set up defenses to be confused when Dak is inserted ... I also think we see Dak throw the ball a lot more this year than last in an effort to keep DC's off balance ... I think Russell will be just fine under center, sets up more roll-out type passing

I keep having flashbacks of what Dan and Koenning were able to do with Relf's passing. Dak came into school way ahead of where Relf was when he left. I can't wait to see what Dak is going to be able to do for us over the next three years.

FISHDAWG
08-15-2013, 09:30 AM
has he been more under center in practice ?

deltadawg99
08-15-2013, 09:34 AM
under center means more opportunities for PLAY ACTION, which helps get the ball to one of our deepest units, the TIGHT ENDS/H BACKS. Also it helps tremendously with the running game. We've got to get the ball to our runningbacks faster. I hope that we use the Pistol and under center sets more than the Shotgun this year....again....we need to PASS WHEN WE WANT TO, NOT WHEN WE HAVE TO.

This ^^^^^^^^

Play action out of a pro set is much more believable than out of the shotgun.

IMO I think the biggest thing that will help TR is running pass plays that don't take as long to develop. Last year our WRs had trouble getting seperation and I think that is part of the reason why he held onto the ball so long. I honestly can't remember the last time we ran a quick slant. A successful running game with short/quick routes will help to set up deep ball.

gravedigger
08-15-2013, 10:26 AM
and bingo was his name, O.

I think the biggest thing that will help TR is running pass plays that don't take as long to develop.

Goat Holder
08-15-2013, 10:40 AM
I think he'll be fine wherever he lines up. But if lining up in a pro set will help us get better push for the running game, I'm all for it. We need to get our OLs and RBs falling forward, like they were early in Mullen's tenure.

Coach 57
08-15-2013, 03:16 PM
Pro sets DO allow for PA fakes.......BUT also places ALOT of pressure on your T's too. I am not worried about the interior of our OL what I am worried about it the T's. Normally when you PA fake it is at the least a 5-7 drop which puts more pressure on the OT position to keep the DE or OLB from hitting a QB who is already in his path. Stepping up into the pocket can help this but if it's "hot" then the QB may have to wait on the route to develop behind the LB or CB who is in zone. All the while waiting can be disastrous for Tyler. But I think he will benefit to the pro set move & will also better prepare him for the NFL.

Political Hack
08-15-2013, 03:32 PM
I'm worried about his footwork more than anything else. Hes never had to do this before. It's different... but IMO it does help a QB find a good rhythm when you've got a 3 or 5 step drop and the ball is supposed to come out immediately. Might actually help the issue with him holding the ball too long. Also with the lack of experience at WR, he's going to have to throw into tighter coverage and allow the WRs to get the ball using their body.

Coach 57
08-15-2013, 04:42 PM
Regardless of what some may think although we have less experience at WR this year I think there unit is upgraded a bit with far better playmakers now. So the windows will be slightly bigger I think in my opinion.

CadaverDawg
08-15-2013, 04:54 PM
If lining up in a pro set will help us get better push for the running game, I'm all for it. We need to get our OLs and RBs falling forward, like they were early in Mullen's tenure.

This^

HancockCountyDog
08-15-2013, 05:10 PM
Regardless of what some may think although we have less experience at WR this year I think there unit is upgraded a bit with far better playmakers now. So the windows will be slightly bigger I think in my opinion.

I hope you are right. I've watched Bumphis this pre-season and I think he is getting the Wayne Madkin treatment. You don't appreciate what you had until it is gone.

I think the talent is there, but we are going to need to see some major jumps by the current crop of WR's. I think it can happen, but we are asking a lot of the new guys, which is why Im on Team Dak with our roster the way it is.

Road graders at the OL, stable of proven RB's, question marks at WR and OT in pass protection, and a QB that can hold onto the ball too much. That screams run first offense. And if you are going run first, you might as well go with the running QB. //rant over.

Goat Holder
08-15-2013, 05:18 PM

I agree with this. I also agree with HancockCountyDog in that we'll miss Bumphis too. That part will suck. But Robert Johnson is going to be a big-time playmaker. We know what Tubby can do. Morrow and Chappelle are the X-factors. They have to get it done. Morrow has to quit dropping shit.

CadaverDawg
08-15-2013, 05:20 PM
I hope you are right. I've watched Bumphis this pre-season and I think he is getting the Wayne Madkin treatment. You don't appreciate what you had until it is gone.

I think the talent is there, but we are going to need to see some major jumps by the current crop of WR's. I think it can happen, but we are asking a lot of the new guys, which is why Im on Team Dak with our roster the way it is.

Road graders at the OL, stable of proven RB's, question marks at WR and OT in pass protection, and a QB that can hold onto the ball too much. That screams run first offense. And if you are going run first, you might as well go with the running QB. //rant over.

I agree completely.

However, I am willing to see if Mullen and Co made enough changes to the offensive scheme to get the ground game going with Tyler in at QB. There is no doubt that Tyler is a really good QB, but if we're going to have an East/West running game with Tyler in the game....we will fail on offense this season. N gotta find a way to go North and South in the run game, and I have my doubts that this staff can make that happen with Tyler at the helm.n get him under center and it may work.

Good post

Goat Holder
08-15-2013, 05:22 PM
I think he is getting the Wayne Madkin treatment. You don't appreciate what you had until it is gone.

I get your point but come on, Madkin was pretty average. Since then, I think it's more that our QBs sucked badly (because of the team around them, coach,etc.), than it was was Madkin being that good. I'd say Fant and Conner were both better. Henig and Croom's rag-tag bunch obviously weren't. Relf was about the same, maybe a tad better. Russell is easily better.

Coach 57
08-16-2013, 01:14 PM
No I absolutely agree that Bump was pretty good. But he was pretty much it. Chris Smith was pretty slow, Ceto was avg. The guys we have now are pretty explosive BUT have to understand the fundamentals of the offense.

@ Goat, I agree Malcolm is a NFL draft pick type of talent @ TE. But we have some pretty OTHER versatile guys at that position too that bring a traditional sense of TE to the game as well that will create mismatches on the field if ball placement is high level which Tyler is normally good at.