PDA

View Full Version : Today is huge...

HSVDawg
04-03-2016, 12:28 PM
I think with what we have seen of this team so far, we can all agree that there is a shot of us winning the West, maybe even winning the overall SEC title, and hosting a regional with an outside shot at a national seed. All of those goals are well within reach. Based on history, I think a realistic target for SEC win total to achieve those goals is 20 SEC wins which we are currently on pace to accomplish. Looking ahead to next weekend, we have 3 road games against the #1 RPI team in the country, and nothing helps RPI like playing road games against the #1 team. It's not going to be impossible for us to go down and take 2 in Gainesville, but it is going to be extremely difficult. If our bullpen can step up and help us complete the sweep today, we'll be able to go to UF next weekend and still be able to feel really good about our chances even if we only take 1 of 3. We'll still be on pace for 20, and we will have held serve in terms of RPI and will likely still get a huge bump there. And if we sweep today and win 2 next weekend, even better.

RocketDawg
04-03-2016, 01:19 PM
Our hometown boy Sexton is doing quite well isn't he? I like it when that happens. Think he'll be as big as Jimmy Key was, and as the Atlanta closer (can't remember his name, but he's been traded) is?

Saltydog
04-03-2016, 03:38 PM
a regional that way either. Let's face it, we have a good shot on Friday and Saturday but right now, we're not even competitive on Sundays.

HSVDawg
04-03-2016, 03:59 PM
a regional that way either. Let's face it, we have a good shot on Friday and Saturday but right now, we're not even competitive on Sundays.

Well, I'll make a bet with you. We won't win every Friday and Saturday game, but we won't lose every Sunday game either. I think in the end, the number of losses we have on Fri / Sat might be close to the number of wins we have on Sundays. If that ends up being close to a wash, we will still finish at or close to 20 wins. Hard to complain too much when we are on pace to win every series thus far. Now that Brown will hopefully be resigned to midweek, we can start looking at guys like Small, Breaux, or Pilkington for the Sunday role. Pilkington would be my first choice.

Hypnodawg
04-03-2016, 03:59 PM
Our offense has to catch fire on Sunday for us to have a chance.

HSVDawg
04-03-2016, 04:03 PM
Our hometown boy Sexton is doing quite well isn't he? I like it when that happens. Think he'll be as big as Jimmy Key was, and as the Atlanta closer (can't remember his name, but he's been traded) is?

Well I've only been a Huntsville resident for about 7 years, but I think you're talking about Craig Kimbrel. Had no idea Jimmy Key was even from here. Sexton played at Sparkman which is the same district I live in currently (Harvest / Monrovia area), and I can't believe the number of MSU car tags and bumper stickers I see around here. Wouldn't be surprised if I unknowingly ran across his folks at the grocery store at one time or another.

RocketDawg
04-03-2016, 05:37 PM
Well I've only been a Huntsville resident for about 7 years, but I think you're talking about Craig Kimbrel. Had no idea Jimmy Key was even from here. Sexton played at Sparkman which is the same district I live in currently (Harvest / Monrovia area), and I can't believe the number of MSU car tags and bumper stickers I see around here. Wouldn't be surprised if I unknowingly ran across his folks at the grocery store at one time or another.

Yes, there are lots of MSU alumni here. I think the Huntsville/Decatur group is something like 2500 strong. You should plan on going to the send-off party for entering freshmen from the area. I think it'll be in June or July. It's a very well attended event, and I think last year there were 80+ kids going to MSU in the fall.

Yes, Craig Kimbrel. I think he may be with San Diego now.

Jimmy Key went to Butler and was quite a player. His mother was our main office secretary for many years. And Jimmy had his head screwed on straight too ... many players just blow the millions they make, but Jimmy hired a good financial advisor and kept things in check. Also a good family man from all reports. And he bought his parents a new house some years ago ... they were not well off (lived in the Holiday Homes area for a long time). I don't know where Jimmy went to college, or even if he went.

BossDawg
04-03-2016, 05:42 PM
Our offense has to catch fire on Sunday for us to have a chance.

We had a few chances to win, and I hate to say, but "should've" or "could've" won. Stuff like errors and the blown call at the plate really hurt us. Oh and pitching. I'm just glad we took the series. The loss today sucked but it's an easy pill to swallow.