PDA

View Full Version : Since the midweek meltdown we're 8-2....

CadaverDawg
04-03-2016, 09:29 AM
Including 3 conference series wins over @Vandy, Georgia, and Northern Mississippi, and a midweek win over high RPI Southern Mississippi.

What a difference a few weeks makes.

Baseball is a fickle game. Little things here and there can totally change a season. Imagine if UGA leaves Tyler in against us Friday night....we probably lose that home series to UGA and even these two wins vs OM don't feel as good. But we grab that win & series, and now appear to be one of the elite in this league currently. Gotta catch a few breaks AND play well to get to that Host spot and/or Natty seed.

A sweep would be HUGE. Let's Get It, Guys!

tcdog70
04-03-2016, 09:33 AM
One big fact jumps out. No walks.

msstate7
04-03-2016, 09:35 AM
Both losses on Sundays... Our era in those 2 games is 9.50.

I'm loving this team, but Sunday pitching, lack of bullpen depth, and Collins not hitting are keeping me grounded. I think our 3 weaknesses I listed can be solved though... We have talent there, but guys have to step up

JDog13
04-03-2016, 09:36 AM
A sweep would be YUGE.

FIFY

JDog13
04-03-2016, 09:38 AM
Another thing to think about, we haven't touched our pen. We got Rigby and crew waiting.

DanDority
04-03-2016, 09:39 AM
How is bullpen depth solved in season?
This question was directed at msstate7

Ralph
04-03-2016, 09:44 AM
Also, we play a DH on Tuesday. Imagine the predicament if Hudson and Sexton don't get the CG. 6 games in 4 days and we have plenty of options

msstate7
04-03-2016, 09:47 AM

Breaux, small, pilkington, and James are all freshmen so there's hope they step up. Houston actually pitched well down the stretch last year, so he's capable. Brown pitched well in the summer, so he's capable. There's ability, but at some point those guys have to perform at an sec level

BrunswickDawg
04-03-2016, 09:51 AM
Not msstate7 - but in my mind, depth in the pen hinges somewhat on finding that Sunday starter. Brown going 5+ today would solidify him for me. You start getting 5-6 from him and then you pen becomes super deep - especially if Pilk can keep improving mid week.

basedog
04-03-2016, 10:02 AM
I'm betting our bullpen gets better, watching Hudson and Sexton dominate plus stare down hitters/dugouts was taught and encouraged by Wes Johnson. "Show you are the man", I expect he is working with others and it's a work in progress.

Wes Johnson is way more intense than Butch Thompson.

shoeless joe
04-03-2016, 10:09 AM

Experience

Lot of young guys that lack big time innings. As the season goes they get those innings and gain the confidence needed. That's why it's so huge that Guys like Houston and Tatum step it up. They have the experience...now he's gotta get it done.

Commercecomet24
04-03-2016, 10:48 AM
It's the reason you should never panic in baseball. The games are long and seasons are long and things can change quickly, good and bad. If you don't have patience baseball probably isn't the sport for you.