PDA

View Full Version : Elitedawg Scrimmage Report

Coach34
04-02-2016, 01:35 PM
1. Defensive coaches are coaching their asses off- the offensive coaches are just kinda standing around

2. 3-4 is giving the offense fits

3. The OL is absolutely getting their asses handed to them

4. Williams is the best looking RB- Murphy runs downhill and looks to have potential

5. No QB stood out today- all did good and bad things. Real dropoff in WR's without Ross this Spring and Gray sitting out today. Staley led his group to a TD on his opening Drive throwing 2 pretty passes

6. Leo is running with Ritchie for the 1's right now. Green with 2nd group. Jung is Matt Wells made over- and rumor has it he can see out of both eyes.

7. Brandon Bryant had 2 picks and looks like our best defensive player out there. CB's got up and pressed some- Smokey made a couple of plays.

8. Graves looked good kicking the ball.

Just overall- the D is a mile ahead of the O and dont expect much this year- worst we have looked in awhile...but the D could be pretty salty. DL was wrecking shit- but because we know how bad our OL is- its hard to really gauge.

BossDawg
04-02-2016, 01:43 PM
3. The OL is absolutely getting their asses handed to them.

Well.............damn. Could the DL just be that good? Please tell me that's a possibility. I can't take another season of a super s#!tty ground game.

Duckdog
04-02-2016, 01:47 PM
6-6?

Dawg62
04-02-2016, 01:47 PM
Offense will be out gunned as long as the Hev is on staff. This is well documented.

Dawgowar
04-02-2016, 02:23 PM
I don't get caught up on pro or con on an individual staff member. Not that I do not think the criticisms are not based in fact just that I know I can't effect change. I do however judge a staff on the results. Given the money and assets provided, bowl eligibility is a must. A better run game should be a given but I can read a roster. My concern is we are going to regret scheduling BYU and will find ourselves desperate to get to six. OL recruiting may bite Dan the way JWS missing on JUCO's towards the end did him in. Hope not. He can develop QB's so I have hope there. Not too worked up about spring practice. It is the NCAA equivilant of getting worked up about NFL Pre-season W-L records. Keep everybody healthy and praise the good without hype and accept the bad without doom.

DogsofAnarchy
04-02-2016, 02:36 PM
aBout the OL. It's worse than last year and will not improve until we get new players and a new coach.
1. Defensive coaches are coaching their asses off- the offensive coaches are just kinda standing around

2. 3-4 is giving the offense fits

3. The OL is absolutely getting their asses handed to them

4. Williams is the best looking RB- Murphy runs downhill and looks to have potential

5. No QB stood out today- all did good and bad things. Real dropoff in WR's without Ross this Spring and Gray sitting out today. Staley led his group to a TD on his opening Drive throwing 2 pretty passes

6. Leo is running with Ritchie for the 1's right now. Green with 2nd group. Jung is Matt Wells made over- and rumor has it he can see out of both eyes.

7. Brandon Bryant had 2 picks and looks like our best defensive player out there. CB's got up and pressed some- Smokey made a couple of plays.

8. Graves looked good kicking the ball.

Just overall- the D is a mile ahead of the O and dont expect much this year- worst we have looked in awhile...but the D could be pretty salty. DL was wrecking shit- but because we know how bad our OL is- its hard to really gauge.

AROB44
04-02-2016, 03:00 PM
I would expect nothing less than criticism of the OL. Agenda continues and will never stop...no matter what. That said, I would expect the D to be ahead of the O at this time. Plus....Dan makes some serious $$$$. Whatever he decides to do staff wise is his choice as it should be. It is his job he puts on the line. Personally, I think he will be around for a while longer.

MrKotter
04-02-2016, 03:17 PM
I
I would expect nothing less than criticism of the OL. Agenda continues and will never stop...no matter what. That said, I would expect the D to be ahead of the O at this time. Plus....Dan makes some serious $$$$. Whatever he decides to do staff wise is his choice as it should be. It is his job he puts on the line. Personally, I think he will be around for a while longer.

Agenda or no agenda, he's seeing what many of us have seen for several years. Hevesy sucks

Coach34
04-02-2016, 03:45 PM
I would expect nothing less than criticism of the OL. Agenda continues and will never stop...no matter what.

Not sure what agenda the two guys at the scrimmage had that told me about it- but both agreed the OL was getting absolutely hammered by the DL. Considering we have 5 guys starting on the OL that will be 3rd, 4th, and 5th year players- its very alarming that our D would be that far ahead. It doesnt happen that way at Alabama- and they have the best D in the country year in and year out.

maroonmania
04-02-2016, 03:51 PM
delete

Joe Schmedlap
04-02-2016, 03:56 PM
Offensive line is the one position group that has consistently been subpar or worse during the DM era. Even Crxxm had comparable OL's. There's no excuse for it really.

msstate7
04-02-2016, 04:06 PM
Wouldn't a switch to a 3-4 defense really throw off our oline? Hopefully they'll adapt

Bothrops
04-02-2016, 04:31 PM
The new defensive staff feel like they have something to prove, and they do. We need that in the worse way because we absolutely sucked ass on defense last year.

defiantdog
04-02-2016, 04:33 PM
On the bright side, DeAndre Ward proved that he was worth the scholarship in the 3-4 defense.

CJ Morgan-Walker was all over the damn place.... dude is still 17.

Fitz and Staley didn't look too bad.... Williams threw about 100 INTs and looked like he didn't know the plays.

Mixon is going to be a threat.... that guy is stupid fast. He's faster than Bryant. The defense wasn't ready for him.... He and Staley locked that first TD in no time.

OL did well with the run.... they opened plenty of holes for Aeris and company to hit. Passing plays took too long to develop though. I'm not saying the OL is good by any means, but they aren't worse then last year. Desper is a liability out there.... Williams needs to step up and take that role. Calhoun and Clayborn are solid. Rankin needs to knock the cobwebs off.... he's gotta start moving those feet.

To note.... I like Leo's position in this 3-4 defense. He looks like a lean Reggie Ragland out there.

basedog
04-02-2016, 04:34 PM
It's spring practice, again way to early to write off the OL, they have time to find chemistry and get better.

If I see someone hanging on the Pearl River bridge with maroon and white gear, I think I'm just gonna keep riding by and tell them to jump!

GTHOM
04-02-2016, 04:34 PM
Wouldn't a switch to a 3-4 defense really throw off our oline? Hopefully they'll adapt

No it shouldnt take this long to adjust to it seeing it everyday. If our OL does not improve we will not improve. Simple as that. Thank Dan and the good ol boy system for it. No excuses

defiantdog
04-02-2016, 04:39 PM
No it shouldnt take this long to adjust to it seeing it everyday. If our OL does not improve we will not improve. Simple as that. Thank Dan and the good ol boy system for it. No excuses

Our LBs are fast.... I mean stupid fast. They had their way with the OL whenever they wanted to get in the backfield.

basedog
04-02-2016, 04:42 PM

You are somewhat wrong, spring practice isn't so much about schemes, it's about teaching and developing techniques. It's more one on one's, two on one's and so on with the lineman. Young guys making adjustments and trying to find out who can play and help. Lots of experimenting, far from a finished product after a few weeks.

GTHOM
04-02-2016, 04:42 PM
Our LBs are fast.... I mean stupid fast. They had their way with the OL whenever they wanted to get in the backfield.

I personally can not wait to see us in a 3-4 next year. We are gonna be sick on D I'm willing to bet on it. That said, our OL is terrible so it wont be as easy against LSU, Bama, etc. Our OL must be better or we will be 7-5 at best it doesnt matter how good Fitzy is if they suck as bad as last year. I just believe it cant be any worse, Elgton Jenkins and Deion Calhoun looked good last year they gotta step up

GTHOM
04-02-2016, 04:44 PM
You are somewhat wrong, spring practice isn't so much about schemes, it's about teaching and developing techniques. It's more one on one's, two on one's and so on with the lineman. Young guys making adjustments and trying to find out who can play and help. Lots of experimenting, far from a finished product after a few weeks.

Believe me friend I know what spring practice is and what it involves. I am a coach myself, there is no excuse for our OL to be getting demolished with experienced players in it like it is now. Im not trying to overreact to one scrimmage and no one should. But still we all know we are 7-5 6-6 if our OL is as bad as it was last year.

K9 Avenger
04-02-2016, 05:08 PM
Well, if Paul's unofficial stats from the scrimmage are accurate, we rushed for 376 yds. Doesn't sound like terrible OL play to me....

Coach34
04-02-2016, 05:14 PM
Well, if Paul's unofficial stats from the scrimmage are accurate, we rushed for 376 yds. Doesn't sound like terrible OL play to me....

Did Paul count negative yardage? How many plays? A normal game is 65-70 plays

K9 Avenger
04-02-2016, 05:19 PM
Did Paul count negative yardage? How many plays? A normal game is 65-70 plays

That included 24 negative yds for Staley .... 79 rushes for the 376....lots of plays but still 4.8 yds per carry....just saying it doesnt sound too bad. Pass pro may have been poor, i have no idea on that.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
04-02-2016, 05:25 PM
I think I will look hold out on the offense until the season...it is April!

Coach34
04-02-2016, 05:30 PM
That included 24 negative yds for Staley .... 79 rushes for the 376....lots of plays but still 4.8 yds per carry....just saying it doesnt sound too bad. Pass pro may have been poor, i have no idea on that.

Mullen said in the interview we ran over 120 plays- so thats 2 ballgames worth

defiantdog
04-02-2016, 05:40 PM

The RBs look better with the ball.... we need to figure out how to pass the ball consistently without Dak back there.

smootness
04-02-2016, 05:47 PM
I think I will look hold out on the offense until the season...it is April!

This is the only relevant post in this thread.

Jack Lambert
04-02-2016, 06:05 PM
This is spring training. You get I think 15 practices over a month and a half. There is no way the offense can get in a groove. You are crazy if you think this is what the season is going to be like. I am crazy for reading this thread. I knew it would be a bitch thread. Hell I guess I am crazy to even post on it.

defiantdog
04-02-2016, 06:12 PM
This is spring training. You get I think 15 practices over a month and a half. There is no way the offense can get in a groove. You are crazy if you think this is what the season is going to be like. I am crazy for reading this thread. I knew it would be a bitch thread. Hell I guess I am crazy to even post on it.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lgpg8lnZfW1qgvu4wo1_500.gif

bulldawg28
04-02-2016, 06:22 PM
Every defense in the SEC will dominate their offense during Spring ball. Every single defense....Know why? They know the ****ing plays and every check made on offense. Spring ball is about whose the toughest and play makers making plays inspite of. Dak didn't have gigantic numbers until the Spring game and he played against a broken puzzle defense drafted.

Thrill1
04-02-2016, 06:41 PM
Defense was fun to watch. Loved enthusiasm from staff. Dudes flying around. Bryant, Jung, R Brown stood out. Fletcher Adams stopped Alex Murphy in backfield on 4th & short.

QB's largely inconsistent. Fitz & Tiano were best of bunch today. Staley looks uninterested. Damian was absolutely awful. Should be at a 1-AA by fall.

Aeris was outstanding I thought, given his chances. Is finishing runs like an SEC back should. Punished D Evans on one 20+ run. Shump, true to previous reports, has indeed trimmed up, and showed the quickness he had at Tupelo/Itawamba. Mixon is definitely a playmaker.

Liverpooldawg
04-02-2016, 06:57 PM
Offense will be out gunned as long as the Hev is on staff. This is well documented.

Well, if you go by the numbers the documentation is very much AGAINST what you just said. For the record I am on record as saying the o line has been the biggest question mark going in the last two seasons. Two years ago it turned out to be pretty dang decent. Last year it didn't. It's is once again the big?

Commercecomet24
04-02-2016, 07:23 PM

Jack bringing the truth!

AROB44
04-02-2016, 07:27 PM
These positive threads are going against the agenda and must stop *******

cubswillwinitonedaydawg
04-02-2016, 09:00 PM

So divide yards by about 2 and it's still pushing 200 rushing yards which ain't a bad day. I wasn't there and certainly don't want to rely on just stats - that doesn't tell the whole story a lot of times. But the way some are talking you would think we had about 25 total rushing yards.

djaymsu5
04-02-2016, 10:35 PM
Defense was fun to watch. Loved enthusiasm from staff. Dudes flying around. Bryant, Jung, R Brown stood out. Fletcher Adams stopped Alex Murphy in backfield on 4th & short.

QB's largely inconsistent. Fitz & Tiano were best of bunch today. Staley looks uninterested. Damian was absolutely awful. Should be at a 1-AA by fall.

Aeris was outstanding I thought, given his chances. Is finishing runs like an SEC back should. Punished D Evans on one 20+ run. Shump, true to previous reports, has indeed trimmed up, and showed the quickness he had at Tupelo/Itawamba. Mixon is definitely a playmaker.

I don't even know how Evans is on scholarship. That kid sux!!

ShotgunDawg
04-02-2016, 10:54 PM
Never ever forget this

http://i.imgur.com/PmeLoik.jpg

Also, do you guys think us going to a 3/4 will help us against Alabama? Can't hurt practicing against their defense every day

SDDawg
04-02-2016, 11:31 PM
It's spring practice, again way to early to write off the OL, they have time to find chemistry and get better.

If I see someone hanging on the Pearl River bridge with maroon and white gear, I think I'm just gonna keep riding by and tell them to jump!

This is a good plan. No one should be freaking out about the OL based on this scrimmage, let the spring play out and see where we're at from there. Whole lot of development will happen for this group between now and August.

Dawgface
04-03-2016, 07:41 AM
So divide yards by about 2 and it's still pushing 200 rushing yards which ain't a bad day. I wasn't there and certainly don't want to rely on just stats - that doesn't tell the whole story a lot of times. But the way some are talking you would think we had about 25 total rushing yards.

I'll take 4.8 yards a carry. Hopefully a positive sign. Let's review again after Spring practice is complete.

msstate7
04-03-2016, 07:51 AM
Few questions...

1. Is stamps practicing yet?

2. Has Cleveland improved any?

3. Are Morgan-walker and smitherman our best cb's?

4. How's Jesse Jackson looking?

5. Justin Johnson still te?

I think you see where my concern is... CBs. I really think we can be a really nice defense if some CBs step up

Schultzy
04-03-2016, 08:22 AM
Is it stupid for one to think that our offensive line was good last year except against elite DL's in Bama and OM?

Tbonewannabe
04-03-2016, 08:26 AM
Is it stupid for one to think that our offensive line was good last year except against elite DL's in Bama and OM?

We weren't able to run it against anyone, that includes our ooc games. Pass protection was good except against great dlines but Dak made our oline look better than it was. If we had Relf back there we might not have made a bowl game.

Jarius
04-03-2016, 09:51 AM
I was at the scrimmage for about an hour and there were a few obvious things that I noticed. Williams is the most talented tailback. He is really good. Brandon Bryant is our best secondary player by a long shot. Our offensive line got absolutely destroyed for the entire time I was there.

DogsofAnarchy
04-03-2016, 10:56 AM
I was at the scrimmage for about an hour and there were a few obvious things that I noticed. Williams is the most talented tailback. He is really good. Brandon Bryant is our best secondary player by a long shot. Our offensive line got absolutely destroyed for the entire time I was there.

I agree with you 100%. I just hope Dan doesn't play the dumb rotation game with the RB position this year. We MUST put the talent on the field. Can you imagine where our program would be if Dak had been allowed to play more than 2 years? Mind boggling that T. Russell was better than Dak at any point.

Coach34
04-03-2016, 11:10 AM

yes- we struggled to run on LSU, Troy, and others.

SDDawg
04-03-2016, 12:13 PM
yes- we struggled to run on LSU, Troy, and others.

My biggest fear is that Dak's efficiency got us by without a running game and I don't think we can expect one of the younger QBs to come in and be that effective. O-line HAS TO be better than last year for us to be .500 or better, I don't think there's any way around that.

Jarius
04-03-2016, 05:17 PM
There were multiple plays where the quarterback was sacked but the play was allowed to resume and got
Positive yardage. That would hurt the rushing stats as well. However, when Williams was given a crease he looked really good. He ran a defensive back completely into the ground.

BoomBoom
04-03-2016, 07:24 PM
We weren't able to run it against anyone, that includes our ooc games. Pass protection was good except against great dlines but Dak made our oline look better than it was. If we had Relf back there we might not have made a bowl game.

a crappy run-blocking OL is one explanation for what we saw, but it's not the only one. scheming was a major problem. the zone read is an old scheme now, and even the OOC teams are practiced at defending it. you can't just finesse into a running game like you could only a few years ago. but we were still trying to. we'll have to use run-pass option plays to open up those finesse runs, but i fully expect us to run the zone read into the ground. fans will be groaning when we run it by the 2nd half of the season, and booing by November.

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2015/9/17/9345633/what-happened-to-the-zone-read-how-to-defend-spread-offense-urban-Meyer