PDA

View Full Version : Scouts gotta be drooling over Dakota Hudson....

War Machine Dawg
04-02-2016, 11:36 AM
We're seeing a Chris Stratton level breakout from him so far. He's been lights out this season. We all know about his fastball, but the cutter he's throwing now is nasty. And if he keeps developing his slider, he's going to have 3 legit pitches. Wish I could have watched last night, but I was driving and had to settle for listening to Jim. Here's hoping we see Huddy continue to dominate and work himself into an early round pick.

Brando
04-02-2016, 12:56 PM
He looked very good last night. I believe the guys doing the broadcast on the ESPN app said his fastball hit 97 a couple times last night and was sitting in the low 90s late in the game.

smootness
04-02-2016, 12:57 PM
We're seeing a Chris Stratton level breakout from him so far. He's been lights out this season. We all know about his fastball, but the cutter he's throwing now is nasty. And if he keeps developing his slider, he's going to have 3 legit pitches. Wish I could have watched last night, but I was driving and had to settle for listening to Jim. Here's hoping we see Huddy continue to dominate and work himself into an early round pick.

Early round pick? He's a no-doubt 1st rounder. Baseball America had him 9th in their most recent mock draft.

msstate7
04-02-2016, 01:06 PM
Early round pick? He's a no-doubt 1st rounder. Baseball America had him 9th in their most recent mock draft.

What? Not 3rd?

smootness
04-02-2016, 01:19 PM
What? Not 3rd?

As much as I like Hudson, if the Braves take him, I won't be happy.

msstate7
04-02-2016, 01:22 PM
As much as I like Hudson, if the Braves take him, I won't be happy.

Me either... I was playing

ShotgunDawg
04-02-2016, 01:25 PM
Scouts really like, but don't love Hudson.

He's a for sure 1st rounder but there are still questions about how fragile his makeup is and how, due to his lack of fastball movement, he has to pitch off his cutter. Most MLB starters pitch off their fastball.

Dakota likely goes between 10-15 in the draft but that's more because he's a certain big leaguer rather than a reflection of his overall ceiling. He's certainly making money though every time he shoves like last night.

Coach34
04-02-2016, 01:51 PM
Scouts really like, but don't love Hudson.

He's a for sure 1st rounder but there are still questions about how fragile his makeup is and how, due to his lack of fastball movement, he has to pitch off his cutter. Most MLB starters pitch off their fastball.

Dakota likely goes between 10-15 in the draft but that's more because he's a certain big leaguer rather than a reflection of his overall ceiling. He's certainly making money though every time he shoves like last night.

agreed. He's come a long way since last year though. Shirley he can work on his grip to get a little more movement?

Also- what do you think about the guy at Georgia? He was damn near hitting 100 last night- but he has a long way to go in developing his 2nd and 3rd pitch. They arent even average right now.

ShotgunDawg
04-02-2016, 02:01 PM
agreed. He's come a long way since last year though. Shirley he can work on his grip to get a little more movement?

Also- what do you think about the guy at Georgia? He was damn near hitting 100 last night- but he has a long way to go in developing his 2nd and 3rd pitch. They arent even average right now.

Dakota can add a 2 seamer but his arm action is longer and somewhat deliberate. It's a little bit of a deception issue in addition to a movement issue. It's going to be tough to develop. He'll be fine though. Your looking at more of a 3rd starter than a 1 or 2.

As for Robert Tyler, He's got an elite fastball and physicality. I haven't seen him pitch since he was a freshman and speak to the other stuff. He's had elbow issues and that will effect his stocks. Expect him to go between 15-25.

I'll try to watch some video and offer a better perspective on Tyler

Coach34
04-02-2016, 02:12 PM
Dakota can add a 2 seamer but his arm action is longer and somewhat deliberate. It's a little bit of a deception issue in addition to a movement issue. It's going to be tough to develop. He'll be fine though. Your looking at more of a 3rd starter than a 1 or 2.

I know he long arms- but maybe a little movement can be created by hand placement and grip. For example- Nolan Ryan had to choke the ball more because when he had it out on fingertips- his ball ran all over the place. Will be interesting to see him a couple years from now to see if he really has finally grown up and developing into an MLB mindset

smootness
04-02-2016, 03:16 PM
If a guy is a potential top 10 pick, he's got a high ceiling.

dickiedawg
04-03-2016, 09:44 AM
Hudson will be a first rounder, but what do we expect from Sexton? What are the chances he comes back?

ShotgunDawg
04-03-2016, 09:54 AM
If a guy is a potential top 10 pick, he's got a high ceiling.

#3 starters in MLB baseball get payed 12-17 million dollars a year. I'd call that high ceiling

ShotgunDawg
04-03-2016, 09:57 AM
Hudson will be a first rounder, but what do we expect from Sexton? What are the chances he comes back?

Sexton is a little trickier because he only throws 88-90 mph but has potentially the best secondary pitch in the SEC with his change up. Problem is that he pitches off his change up. If Sexton would try to throw hard and be able to sit 92-93 along with his change up, he could be a poor man's James Sheilds, but if he's intent on throwing 88-90 while throwing 8 change ups in a row, he'll probably top out in AA. Sexton will go in the top 10 rounds due to stats.

HSVDawg
04-03-2016, 11:45 AM
Sexton is a little trickier because he only throws 88-90 mph but has potentially the best secondary pitch in the SEC with his change up. Problem is that he pitches off his change up. If Sexton would try to throw hard and be able to sit 92-93 along with his change up, he could be a poor man's James Sheilds, but if he's intent on throwing 88-90 while throwing 8 change ups in a row, he'll probably top out in AA. Sexton will go in the top 10 rounds due to stats.

Agreed but if he could develop a sinker or splitter in the minor leagues he could pitch in the show for a long time. That's what happened to Graveman, who also only tops out in the low 90's with his fastball. He threw a splitter by accident in a bullpen session in A ball, and the pitching coach liked what he saw and got him to work on it.

Political Hack
04-03-2016, 12:06 PM
Agreed but if he could develop a sinker or splitter in the minor leagues he could pitch in the show for a long time. That's what happened to Graveman, who also only tops out in the low 90's with his fastball. He threw a splitter by accident in a bullpen session in A ball, and the pitching coach liked what he saw and got him to work on it.

Yep. They'll develop a 3rd and 4th pitch for him. I could see him being a solid set up guys in the bigs.

ShotgunDawg
04-03-2016, 12:25 PM

Teaching someone to sink the ball isn't that easy. Graveman did it naturally & had the arm slot for it. I'm going to have disagree with you. You never know though

ShotgunDawg
04-03-2016, 12:27 PM
Yep. They'll develop a 3rd and 4th pitch for him. I could see him being a solid set up guys in the bigs.

Watch some set-up men on TV today in the big leagues. My guess is you won't see one throw under 95 mph, and, if you do, he likely has an elite breaking ball or elite CH like Trevor Hoffman and Houston Street. Not saying your wrong but what your saying is a low percentage bet.

smootness
04-03-2016, 12:36 PM
If Sexton keeps up what he's doing right now, he's going to go a good bit higher than the 9th or 10th round. He's K'ing more than 10 per 9 while walking less than 3 in the SEC. His stuff is much better than Graveman's was at this point.

Political Hack
04-03-2016, 12:40 PM
Watch some set-up men on TV today in the big leagues. My guess is you won't see one throw under 95 mph, and, if you do, he likely has an elite breaking ball or elite CH like Trevor Hoffman and Houston Street. Not saying your wrong but what your saying is a low percentage bet.

He's throwing junk now and striking guys out. Some pitchers don't need a 98 mph fastball to be effective. If he has 4 pitches with a top speed of 92/93 fastball that he's only throwing 25% of the time it'll be damn hard to hit him.

4 pitches, 4 different speeds, 4 different movements. That's hard to chase.