PDA

View Full Version : Hagler-Hearns- best round of boxing ever???

Coach34
03-31-2016, 09:15 PM
my post earlier got me to thinking- was Hagler-Hearns Round 1 the best round of boxing in history? I've never witnessed 2 other fighters even coming close

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VI-M9Yw-28

BeardoMSU
03-31-2016, 09:23 PM
my post earlier got me to thinking- was Hagler-Hearns Round 1 the best round of boxing in history? I've never witnessed 2 other fighters even coming close

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VI-M9Yw-28

Definitely one of the best, but the Ward-Gotti fights also come to mind.

Bigedawg
03-31-2016, 09:46 PM
No doubt. I watched this fight in the Mississippi Coliseum on closed circuit, when I was a young buck. Sparked a life long infatuation with boxing, but no other fight ever measured up.

DownwardDawg
03-31-2016, 09:50 PM
Possibly. I'll never forget it.

Bully13
04-01-2016, 07:22 AM
I forget who won that fight. Was this the one where Hearnes broke his hand? Hearns was the best middle weight imo until he broke his hand. He never recovered from that. His combination of length, speed and strength was awesome. Hagler was a tough Joe Frazier type sob though.

BrunswickDawg
04-01-2016, 07:24 AM
Hagler was one of my favorites. I still think he got jobbed by the judges against Sugar Ray.

Bully13
04-01-2016, 07:35 AM
Hagler was one of my favorites. I still think he got jobbed by the judges against Sugar Ray.

I distinctively remember that fight. Sugar peppered him but never hurt Hagler. Hagler had a good argument because I think he was the one who was champion at the time.

ElitedawgRecruiting
04-01-2016, 07:37 AM
I suggest watching the George Foreman/Ron Lyle fight on YouTube. Might be the best 5 rounds or so of boxing you will ever see. Big George was able to get up just one more time. Wasn't called the fight of the decade for nothing

BrunswickDawg
04-01-2016, 07:58 AM
I distinctively remember that fight. Sugar peppered him but never hurt Hagler. Hagler had a good argument because I think he was the one who was champion at the time.

Hagler was champ, which should have given him the win. I think everyone was just wanting to believe that Leonard was the best pound-for-pound boxer so it threw the votes to him. It was a damn good fight, but at best it was a draw that should have kept the belt with Marvin.

ElitedawgRecruiting
04-01-2016, 08:06 AM
Hagler was champ, which should have given him the win. I think everyone was just wanting to believe that Leonard was the best pound-for-pound boxer so it threw the votes to him. It was a damn good fight, but at best it was a draw that should have kept the belt with Marvin.

I disagree to a certain extent. I think the fight was even 5 rounds a piece going to the last 2. And Ray definitely won the last two rounds

Coach34
04-01-2016, 08:10 AM
I disagree to a certain extent. I think the fight was even 5 rounds a piece going to the last 2. And Ray definitely won the last two rounds

Agreed. Ray won it on points- but he never hurt Hagler. Hagler definitely hurt Ray more- but based on punches landed and points- Ray won the fight

ElitedawgRecruiting
04-01-2016, 08:12 AM
I think Hagler ended up doing what Gerry Cooney did against Larry Holmes. Fought the other mans fight and it cost him

lastmajordog
04-01-2016, 02:33 PM

Thank you for this. All those points scored for jabs to the face and NOT A MARK on Haggler at the end of the fight....

Bully13
04-01-2016, 02:50 PM
I think Hagler ended up doing what Gerry Cooney did against Larry Holmes. Fought the other mans fight and it cost him

Jerry Cooney could have brought a .44 to that fight and still would have gotten the shit beat out of him. He had no bidness being in ring with Holmes. That's why he punched Holmes in the tesiculs as don king described it.