PDA

View Full Version : 3/31 Severe Weather Thread

starkvegasdawg
03-31-2016, 06:18 AM
While it may still be a little too early to call, things look to be lining up for a very high end severe weather event this afternoon and evening. I'm on my phone so I'll let others post the pertinent graphics, but it is looking likely we see storms firing early afternoon capable of baseball size hail and strong to violent tornadoes. The current round of rain and storms looks to be moving out of the area and we may even see some sun later this morning. That will be lighting the fuse to the bomb. If you live birth of I-20 have more than one way to get warnings and heed any warnings you get. Consider postponing any unnecessary travel this adternooon. Let friends/family know where you will be this afternoon. Decide now where your shelter location will be and make sure you can actually get in there.

I seen it dawg
03-31-2016, 07:45 AM
Well shit. I'll be hitting Greenville about noon headed to Starkville.

Uncivilengineer
03-31-2016, 11:09 AM
I am supposed to leave Picayune about 7pm and drive to Vicksburg. Doesn't look like fun. Do you mean North of I-120?

starkvegasdawg
03-31-2016, 11:13 AM
I am supposed to leave Picayune about 7pm and drive to Vicksburg. Doesn't look like fun. Do you mean North of I-120?

Yes. North. Some of the latest models trying to push it a little further south but I'm not sure I buy that. There's a decent chance you'll be fine.

THE Bruce Dickinson
03-31-2016, 11:14 AM
What time do you expect all of this to start ?

Lumpy Chucklelips
03-31-2016, 11:16 AM
How far north are you talking about? Tn. state line north?

starkvegasdawg
03-31-2016, 12:11 PM
I'm looking I-20 north to state line and anywhere from 1:00-4:00pm.

I seen it dawg
03-31-2016, 01:16 PM
Rolling 82 from Greenville to starkville

Brahmabull
03-31-2016, 01:36 PM
I am supposed to leave Madison area at 2:00 headed to Greenville and then headed back to Madison around 6:30. What's it look like???

starkvegasdawg
03-31-2016, 01:46 PM
Tornado watch for MS to be issued shortly. Greatest threat area 82 north in east ms. Still sitting in Winona watching. Gonna get real here soon

I seen it dawg
03-31-2016, 01:51 PM
You think north of 82?

THE Bruce Dickinson
03-31-2016, 01:52 PM
Could you post the link for the live chasers ?

It_Could_Happen
03-31-2016, 02:14 PM
@StarkvegasDawg

Can you give an update on the Starkville/GTR area? Because I keep hearing people talk about it getting bad here but I don't see anything on the radar

starkvegasdawg
03-31-2016, 02:29 PM
Starkville is center of greatest tornado threat. Storms are just now starting to fire in central ms and LA. Ones in la will be ones to watch.

I seen it dawg
03-31-2016, 02:30 PM
Awesome

I seen it dawg
03-31-2016, 02:30 PM
It's hot as balls in Winona

starkvegasdawg
03-31-2016, 02:33 PM
It's hot as balls in Winona

Yes it is. Been in this parking lot last 3 hours.

TheRef
03-31-2016, 02:49 PM
And here we go. Tornado watch has been issued for our area until 10 PM CDT.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ce5oRfkVIAAtOxY.jpg

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
03-31-2016, 02:56 PM
Could you post the link for the live chasers ?

https://tvnweather.com/live

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
03-31-2016, 03:00 PM
It's never good when there's 9 chasers in your state and it reminds me of those storms that follow the same tracks like the one that hit Yazoo City a couple years back.

starkvegasdawg
03-31-2016, 03:13 PM
They're following a similar track but it's a different set up today.

Hattdawg
03-31-2016, 03:31 PM
Will south Mississippi be in a watch as well?

starkvegasdawg
03-31-2016, 03:37 PM
Possible but wouldn't hold my breath.

I seen it dawg
03-31-2016, 04:51 PM
What's popping?

TheRef
03-31-2016, 05:03 PM
What's popping?

Cap has broken, initialization has started, and if you have sunlight over you, you'll have a fun day.

I seen it dawg
03-31-2016, 05:06 PM
In layman terms...is that good or bad in Starkville/West Point?

It_Could_Happen
03-31-2016, 05:08 PM
In layman terms...is that good or bad in Starkville/West Point?

Bad. I'm no weather man but it's hot as hell here and the sun is beaming.

Msujd164
03-31-2016, 05:42 PM
Huntsville? What do we have in store for us? Sun shining now.

TippahDawg
03-31-2016, 05:53 PM
The sun is shining brightly here in New Albany. Plus, it is very muggy here too. We just went to see if our storm house was cleaned out & ready for tonight.

RocketDawg
03-31-2016, 06:23 PM

Tornado watch just issued from 6 p.m. to 1 a.m. Friday. It's not all that warm here though ... 70 at the moment. A little breezy. There's a tornado warning just to the NW in Tennessee and it's been there for a while.

TheRef
03-31-2016, 06:23 PM
Sunlight = fuel = stronger storms.

RocketDawg
03-31-2016, 06:28 PM
Yes it is. Been in this parking lot last 3 hours.

Are you on the Live Chasers network? Just looked at Kelly Williamson's feed from Indianola and it looks pretty dark there.

archdog
03-31-2016, 06:52 PM
One confirmed down in New Hope. Moved on to Alabama already. Restrengthening recycling right now. Lamar county watch it.

TUSK
03-31-2016, 06:52 PM
While it may still be a little too early to call, things look to be lining up for a very high end severe weather event this afternoon and evening. I'm on my phone so I'll let others post the pertinent graphics, but it is looking likely we see storms firing early afternoon capable of baseball size hail and strong to violent tornadoes. The current round of rain and storms looks to be moving out of the area and we may even see some sun later this morning. That will be lighting the fuse to the bomb. If you live birth of I-20 have more than one way to get warnings and heed any warnings you get. Consider postponing any unnecessary travel this adternooon. Let friends/family know where you will be this afternoon. Decide now where your shelter location will be and make sure you can actually get in there.

Meth Labs, Whiskey Stills and National Championship Wal-Mart gear must be Tornado Magnets....

this one was exceptionally close to my crib...

RocketDawg
03-31-2016, 07:06 PM

Tornado warming in northern Madison and Limestone Counties in Alabama now. Moving very slightly south of east, just about along the Tenn/Ala state line. And lots of storms in Mississippi heading up this way in the next few hours.

Bucky Dog
03-31-2016, 07:16 PM
All I know is we have had two near direct hit lightning strikes here in NW Rankin county in the last hour plus. It's dangerous looking and feeling.

notsofarawaydawg
03-31-2016, 08:09 PM
One confirmed down in New Hope. Moved on to Alabama already. Restrengthening recycling right now. Lamar county watch it.

New Hope tornado touched down near the entrance of Lake Lowndes State Park and Lakeover subdivision doing damage in the area and to some houses in the subdivision.

WCBI viewer tornado video (http://www.wcbi.com/local-news/viewer-video-of-new-hope-tornado-march-31st/)

TheRef
03-31-2016, 08:14 PM
New Hope tornado touched down near the entrance of Lake Lowndes State Park and Lakeover subdivision doing damage in the area and to some houses in the subdivision.

According to Lowndes County EMA, no injuries or fatalities.

starkvegasdawg
03-31-2016, 08:19 PM
Pissed beyond words. Had I followed my gut instinct I would have been on that tornado. I didn't and that was that.

I seen it dawg
03-31-2016, 08:22 PM
How much water did West Point get you guys think? Hitting old Waverly in the am...

I seen it dawg
03-31-2016, 08:23 PM
Pissed beyond words. Had I followed my gut instinct I would have been on that tornado. I didn't and that was that.

You got too caught up in that Taco Bell and it's glorious burritos!

starkvegasdawg
03-31-2016, 08:23 PM
Are you on the Live Chasers network? Just looked at Kelly Williamson's feed from Indianola and it looks pretty dark there.

I'm not. I'll stream some live video from my phone on UStream that goes out over my Twitter and Facebook for those that follow me or are friends. I just got a dash cam that i think I can stream from. Just got to figure out how. I'm technologically challenged when it comes to things like that.

starkvegasdawg
03-31-2016, 08:24 PM
You got too caught up in that Taco Bell and it's glorious burritos!

That may have been it.

RocketDawg
03-31-2016, 08:26 PM
OK thanks. It would be interesting to see once you get it up and going. Probably somewhat expensive to do though.

TheRef
03-31-2016, 08:28 PM

Live and learn, buddy.

starkvegasdawg
03-31-2016, 08:30 PM
Live and learn, buddy.

If I hadn't had a reporter from the paper riding it wouldn't have been so bad. The one day I needed to be on my game and I 17 it up kimchee leaving his motel room.

TheRef
03-31-2016, 08:33 PM
If I hadn't had a reporter from the paper riding it wouldn't have been so bad. The one day I needed to be on my game and I 17 it up kimchee leaving his motel room.

Haha. It's okay. Today are days you tell the reporter, "You live and learn when chasing. Sometimes you feast, sometimes you only have famine. We took a risk by going after this cell, it ended up being the wrong cell. This is a daily struggle on large systems like this."

starkvegasdawg
03-31-2016, 08:36 PM
I'm still shocked only one tornado warning in the state.

Liverpooldawg
03-31-2016, 09:03 PM
How much water did West Point get you guys think? Hitting old Waverly in the am...

I don't know exactly about West Point but most of what we got went through there too. We got a LOT. I wanted to mow my yard tomorrow but I doubt that's going to happen. I don't have a 4 wheel drive mower.

RocketDawg
03-31-2016, 09:11 PM
There is a apparently a tornado on the ground near Priceville, AL (power flashes, debris up to 8500 feet) and heading toward my house in Madison. Should be here in about 15 minutes if it holds together. Lots of lightning to my west and southwest. The cats are in the closet, and we may be shortly.

Bucky Dog
03-31-2016, 09:41 PM
There is a apparently a tornado on the ground near Priceville, AL (power flashes, debris up to 8500 feet) and heading toward my house in Madison. Should be here in about 15 minutes if it holds together. Lots of lightning to my west and southwest. The cats are in the closet, and we may be shortly.

Hang on! Following it on Weather Channel

Treemydawg
03-31-2016, 09:55 PM
I'm still shocked only one tornado warning in the state.

Post my pic of it stark if you don't mind.

Treemydawg
03-31-2016, 09:59 PM
How much water did West Point get you guys think? Hitting old Waverly in the am... Waverly is a hell of a course. Last time I played it I came out hot. Shot a 37 on the front and thought that I had her figured out, only to shoot a 49 on the back.

It_Could_Happen
03-31-2016, 10:10 PM
Question for you guys that know.. It seems this thing wasn't near as bad as everybody thought it would be and I'm thankful for it, but what do you guys think caused it? I don't know much about weather but it seems that conditions were pefect for it to be extremely bad today.

RocketDawg
03-31-2016, 10:15 PM
Nothing here but heavy rain. It went south of me and apparently dissipated before reaching the residential areas of south Huntsville. There are reports of damage in Priceville, just outside of Decatur. Not sure how much right now.

TUSK
03-31-2016, 10:16 PM

Dude, I was storm chasin' from my back deck..... it was a pretty decent one....

I saw a lot of whacky cloud stuff goin on....

Mjoelner34
03-31-2016, 10:22 PM
Dude, I was storm chasin' from my back deck..... it was a pretty decent one....

I saw a lot of whacky cloud stuff goin on....

I told Starkvegas that it looked like it was headed toward TUSKnado alley. Guess it was.

TUSK
03-31-2016, 10:35 PM
I told Starkvegas that it looked like it was headed toward TUSKnado alley. Guess it was.

yup, 3 have passed within 2.5 miles the last 2 years........ this one was 'bout a mile away...

I just got off a neighbor's roof from fixin' some stuff..

TUSK
03-31-2016, 10:39 PM
Treemy snapped this pic 'round 'vegas...

TUSK
03-31-2016, 10:44 PM
Here's a pic up my driveway I took from my deck while grillin' deer sausage...

starkvegasdawg
04-01-2016, 02:09 AM
Thanks for posting that pic, Tusk, for Tree. I pretty much just checked out after my last post and just now saw his request.

starkvegasdawg
04-01-2016, 02:19 AM
Question for you guys that know.. It seems this thing wasn't near as bad as everybody thought it would be and I'm thankful for it, but what do you guys think caused it? I don't know much about weather but it seems that conditions were pefect for it to be extremely bad today.
You're right. They were expecting more tornadoes. We did get a ton of severe storms with large hail and wind, though.

This may sound weird but tornadoes are actually pretty delicate things. They have to have a perfect environment to form and if something is just a hair off you can forget about it. What that one thing was yesterday I don't know.

ScoobaDawg
04-01-2016, 10:51 AM
You're right. They were expecting more tornadoes. We did get a ton of severe storms with large hail and wind, though.

This may sound weird but tornadoes are actually pretty delicate things. They have to have a perfect environment to form and if something is just a hair off you can forget about it. What that one thing was yesterday I don't know.

Exactly... it would be interesting to hear a more advanced look at the conditions.
Over here in DFW, Steve Mccauley (Who got his degree at State) posts a lot of info on his facebook now that he is a teacher instead of on air weathermen. I remember he broke down some info about the Day after Christmas tornado that did such damage in East Dallas.
It was also interesting that he posted Yesterday morning explaining what happened overnight and why we did NOT get the 2nd round of storms that was very possible to happen. Some of the better models were showing Strong supercells marching towards DFW early thursday morning. There was a strong dryline to the west. No CAP at all and energy in the Atmosphere was primed, peaking at around 3000 over the entire DFW metroplex.. which should have feed any storms coming off the dryline. Instead... nothing because sinking air moved in over the area after the first wave of storms wed morning.

I say Let's put Ref to the test haha...

TheRef
04-01-2016, 10:56 AM
Exactly... it would be interesting to hear a more advanced look at the conditions.
Over here in DFW, Steve Mccauley (Who got his degree at State) posts a lot of info on his facebook now that he is a teacher instead of on air weathermen. I remember he broke down some info about the Day after Christmas tornado that did such damage in East Dallas.
It was also interesting that he posted Yesterday morning explaining what happened overnight and why we did NOT get the 2nd round of storms that was very possible to happen. Some of the better models were showing Strong supercells marching towards DFW early thursday morning. There was a strong dryline to the west. No CAP at all and energy in the Atmosphere was primed, peaking at around 3000 over the entire DFW metroplex.. which should have feed any storms coming off the dryline. Instead... nothing because sinking air moved in over the area after the first wave of storms wed morning.

I say Let's put Ref to the test haha...

Put me to the test on what? Why it wasn't as bad as some thought? I mean we weren't expecting a tornado outbreak yesterday. But it certainly was a little lackluster on the tornado side. The reason was because this quickly turned from an isolated cell event to a QLCS (Quasi-linear Convective System) event, so the chances for strong supercells to have energy all to themselves died off. Usually when you have a cell all by itself, it has an endless supply of energy to draw from, which means you're more likely to have the strongest possible cell for development and spin. Alas, yesterday quickly turned linear, and became more of a straight-line wind event. But we did have 70 MPH winds associated with this system. So to say this wasn't a severe weather event is simply wrong. But we didn't have as many tornados as some thought we would. Just remember, when everything is in a line (especially when the line is oriented almost completely N/S) each cell is eating the energy and cold air from the other cell. This means a weaker set of cells as a whole.

starkvegasdawg
04-01-2016, 11:12 AM
I'll admit I spent most of the say zoomed in on particular storms on radar and not the system as a whole but I thought I remembered a lot of discrete or semi-discrete cells. I know the storms I finally made a play on around Canton and Jackson went linear 15 minutes after I took off after them and fizzled, but I don't remember a lot of other line segments. Not doubting you. I just honestly didn't notice.

TheRef
04-01-2016, 12:09 PM
I'll admit I spent most of the say zoomed in on particular storms on radar and not the system as a whole but I thought I remembered a lot of discrete or semi-discrete cells. I know the storms I finally made a play on around Canton and Jackson went linear 15 minutes after I took off after them and fizzled, but I don't remember a lot of other line segments. Not doubting you. I just honestly didn't notice.

If you looked at the system as a whole, after about an hour or two of discrete cells, everything meshed together and turned into a QLCS.

ScoobaDawg
04-01-2016, 12:27 PM
Put me to the test on what? Why it wasn't as bad as some thought? I mean we weren't expecting a tornado outbreak yesterday. But it certainly was a little lackluster on the tornado side. The reason was because this quickly turned from an isolated cell event to a QLCS (Quasi-linear Convective System) event, so the chances for strong supercells to have energy all to themselves died off. Usually when you have a cell all by itself, it has an endless supply of energy to draw from, which means you're more likely to have the strongest possible cell for development and spin. Alas, yesterday quickly turned linear, and became more of a straight-line wind event. But we did have 70 MPH winds associated with this system. So to say this wasn't a severe weather event is simply wrong. But we didn't have as many tornados as some thought we would. Just remember, when everything is in a line (especially when the line is oriented almost completely N/S) each cell is eating the energy and cold air from the other cell. This means a weaker set of cells as a whole.

Ok that was too easy for you.....

was21
04-01-2016, 12:42 PM
practicing