PDA

View Full Version : For those worried about RPI

BrunswickDawg
03-30-2016, 07:01 PM
For those worried about RPI - guess Baseball America isn't too worried about it - project us hosting as #6 national seed

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/projected-field-of-64-march-30/#2oV97coz2lY693IX.97

Yes, it's early, but it's not a bad place to be.

Todd4State
03-30-2016, 07:32 PM
I think the bottom line is we win approximately 18 SEC games we are going to host.

We also need to win all of our OOC games left too.

Lumpy Chucklelips
03-30-2016, 08:22 PM
From the article:

MSU?s RPI (45) is troublesome, but winning in the SEC generally takes care of that. The Bulldogs won a head-to-head series win at Vanderbilt?the reason they get the nod over Vandy?and get Ole Miss in Starkville this weekend.

Being worried about the RPI is justifiable. We can't lose many series at all and expect to host with an RPI of 45 at the end of the year. Having an RPI of 10 lets you lose a couple of series and still be in contention to host. Long, long way to go.

BrunswickDawg
03-30-2016, 09:07 PM
SEC baseball and football are a lot alike in the sense that if you take care of business in conference, it offsets OOC.

Todd4State
03-30-2016, 09:55 PM
SEC baseball and football are a lot alike in the sense that if you take care of business in conference, it offsets OOC.

This is true. Also, winning the Governor's Cup will help some as well if Ole Miss can maintain their RPI. That will be a big game for us.

And to be honest- I really think Oregon will end up having a pretty solid season and end up a 2-3 seed somewhere. Their pitching is outstanding plus they have a really good closer. If they sweep Michigan State they could make a big move this weekend.

Taog Redloh
03-31-2016, 10:38 AM
Great. Last thing we need is our team thinking we are the 6th best out there. We play better as underdogs.

Jack Lambert
03-31-2016, 10:44 AM
This is true. Also, winning the Governor's Cup will help some as well if Ole Miss can maintain their RPI. That will be a big game for us.

And to be honest- I really think Oregon will end up having a pretty solid season and end up a 2-3 seed somewhere. Their pitching is outstanding plus they have a really good closer. If they sweep Michigan State they could make a big move this weekend.

Unless ole miss gets it problems fix they might not even make the SEC tournament. It's early but they are committing a lot of errors.

Dawg61
03-31-2016, 11:14 AM
Great. Last thing we need is our team thinking we are the 6th best out there. We play better as underdogs.

Lot of truth to this but when Hudson and Sexton are pitching we are the 6th best out there.

BeardoMSU
03-31-2016, 11:32 AM
Lot of truth to this but when Hudson and Sexton are pitching we are the 6th best out there.

..then Sunday rolls around, and all our pitchers channel their inner Henry Rowengartner**

http://i.imgur.com/s8whhdD.gif

Dawg61
03-31-2016, 11:39 AM
Haha maybe we should give Hump a try

bulldogcountry1
03-31-2016, 12:45 PM
..then Sunday rolls around, and all our pitchers channel their inner Henry Rowengartner**

http://i.imgur.com/s8whhdD.gif

I found something interesting this morning. On the HailState site, there is a special report showing statistics for starters only.

In Houston's two starts: 9.2 IP, 0.92 ERA, 1 ER, 13K, 5BB.

The walks and the inning per start aren't impressive, but should be good enough to earn another chance to start. That's obviously what he wants to do, and he isn't exactly thriving as a reliever.

maroonmania
03-31-2016, 12:51 PM
I found something interesting this morning. On the HailState site, there is a special report showing statistics for starters only.

The walks and the inning per start aren't impressive, but should be good enough to earn another chance to start. That's obviously what he wants to do, and he isn't exactly thriving as a reliever.

Apparently Houston really wants to be a starter so I'm onboard with others on here that say try Houston as the 3rd starter with Brown ready to come in behind him if he falters. We already know that Brown is normally good for 2-3 innings but usually not much more than that. Tatum really can't be used in key situations any more until he shows improvement and the freshmen for the most part have been erratic. We are halfway through the year now and its time for 1 or 2 of the FR to step up and be a factor in SEC play. Is Paul Young never going to give us any help?

Todd4State
03-31-2016, 01:03 PM

Exactly why I've been saying he should get another chance as a starter. His starts haven't been bad at all. The only caveat is his starts were agianst South Dakota State and Nicholls. If we can basically piggy back him with Brown who I like better out of the bullpen we could get 5-7 innings out of them easily.

If it works like I hope it does.

Todd4State
03-31-2016, 01:05 PM
Apparently Houston really wants to be a starter so I'm onboard with others on here that say try Houston as the 3rd starter with Brown ready to come in behind him if he falters. We already know that Brown is normally good for 2-3 innings but usually not much more than that. Tatum really can't be used in key situations any more until he shows improvement and the freshmen for the most part have been erratic. We are halfway through the year now and its time for 1 or 2 of the FR to step up and be a factor in SEC play. Is Paul Young never going to give us any help?

Paul Young's command has been off the past couple of times he has pitched. He looked good before that though.