PDA

View Full Version : Did Ben Simmons cost himself 40+ million by going to LSU...

fishwater99
03-30-2016, 08:39 AM
http://nypost.com/2016/03/29/ben-simmons-couldnt-reach-lebron-heights-now-hes-out-40-million/

mic
03-30-2016, 08:45 AM
Easy solution to the problem..

You can go straight out of high school to NBA
Or if you chose not to, you have to spend 2 years in college..

Coach34
03-30-2016, 08:47 AM
and LSU cant fire Jones either. Its hilarious that at a time LSU would have fired both coaches- they havent been able to because the University cant manage money- crippling their one department that makes a ton of money. And Manieri is struggling this year also- tough year for the Tigahhhhhhs

Coach34
03-30-2016, 08:48 AM
Easy solution to the problem..

You can go straight out of high school to NBA
Or if you chose not to, you have to spend 2 years in college..

I still say 3- make it the same across the board for the Big 3

MSUDawg99
03-30-2016, 08:56 AM
I still say 3- make it the same across the board for the Big 3

AGREED!

Political Hack
03-30-2016, 09:10 AM
Free market. He should be able to go immediately after high school.

Coach34
03-30-2016, 09:16 AM
Free market. He should be able to go immediately after high school.

if it was a free market- football would do it too. Sometimes you have to do whats best for kids and the league as a whole. More mature players would do nothing but benefit the league

Beaver
03-30-2016, 09:26 AM
More mature players would do nothing but benefit the league

Also would improve the quality of CBB

Irondawg
03-30-2016, 09:45 AM
Was Summons really being compared to LeBron? I never heard anything like that. I thought he was considered more along the lines of Wiggins all along

BeardoMSU
03-30-2016, 09:50 AM
Was Summons really being compared to LeBron?

He was only in the regard that they are both big guys who can pass the ball really well/have court vision.

Dawg61
03-30-2016, 10:15 AM
Simmons lack of giving a fu*k has cost him money. Has nothing to do with LSU.

RocketCityDawg
03-30-2016, 10:59 AM

I agree with this. He did it to himself.

mic
03-30-2016, 11:13 AM

Totally agree...
That's why they have to do the option of 2 years or straight from high school
He never wnat d to go to college
Did embrace the college game
And didn't have a coach that could get him to buy into the one and done ..

HSVDawg
03-30-2016, 11:25 AM
http://nypost.com/2016/03/29/ben-simmons-couldnt-reach-lebron-heights-now-hes-out-40-million/

Just a ridiculous article, and not the first one like that from the NY Post. Simmons averaged 19 points, 12 rebounds, and 5 assists per game. For those keeping score at home, those are elite shooting guard scoring numbers, elite big man rebounding numbers, and elite point guard assist numbers all rolled into one player. He had probably the most dominant year statistically of any major college basketball player in the last quarter century. And they are saying his shoe deal will be less because he played at LSU instead of Duke? That's just flat out dumb. If the shoe companies are dumb enough to lowball him because of where he played college ball, then whoever doesn't sign him deserves every bit of lost earnings they get because they didn't want to offer a better deal.

Political Hack
03-30-2016, 12:53 PM
if it was a free market- football would do it too. Sometimes you have to do whats best for kids and the league as a whole. More mature players would do nothing but benefit the league

Most of the time yes, but the majority should not dictate the regulations at the expense of the minority. Maurice Clarret (sp?) wouldve benefited from coming straight out. Marcus Dupree? Ben Simmons? Lester Earl? I'm sure we could name a hundred.

I don't understand why sports leagues don't have to follow the same rules as other businesses. If they want to require a degree, I get that. But this quasi-education threshold is stupid. Either go to college for the purpose of finishing it, or don't.

confucius say
03-30-2016, 01:04 PM
Meh, it's not an education threshold it's an age limit. They don't have to go to college at all. Just have to be a certain age/number of years removed from high school to be eligible. And several professions have age limits. Law, medicine, etc.

Maroonthirteen
03-30-2016, 02:00 PM
Just a ridiculous article, and not the first one like that from the NY Post. Simmons averaged 19 points, 12 rebounds, and 5 assists per game. For those keeping score at home, those are elite shooting guard scoring numbers, elite big man rebounding numbers, and elite point guard assist numbers all rolled into one player. He had probably the most dominant year statistically of any major college basketball player in the last quarter century. And they are saying his shoe deal will be less because he played at LSU instead of Duke? That's just flat out dumb. If the shoe companies are dumb enough to lowball him because of where he played college ball, then whoever doesn't sign him deserves every bit of lost earnings they get because they didn't want to offer a better deal.

What he said.

fishwater99
03-30-2016, 04:20 PM

No, I think because he went to college at all is what cost him money with a shoe deal.

Dawg62
03-30-2016, 06:07 PM
That's why these types should go to Kentucky or Mississippi State