PDA

View Full Version : USM Game Thoughts- Perception Week Continues

Todd4State
03-30-2016, 12:38 AM
I have a special dislike for USM baseball ever since they tried to arrest Ron Polk for arguing with an umpire. So, I always enjoy beating the ever living crap out of them.

We have some bullpen issues- but we also have some potential solutions in Rigby and Humphreys. Both need to pitch more. If that means DH Humphreys from here on out, so be it. And I like Kruger a lot- but we have more issues with the bullpen than we do with the offense right now. Rigby was lights out tonight- and he proved he could go three against a RH heavy lineup. Humphreys was the pleasant surprise to me in that he was able to go two and dominate. That is potentially HUGE for us if he can eat up 3-4 innings weekend as opposed to 1-2. Tatum is STILL keeping the ball up in the zone too much- and it's as straight as an arrow. He's a fly ball pitcher at this point. I did feel bad in that he had some bad luck on the check swing hit that we should have eaten up in hindsight- but I have no problem with us trying to make that play at that point in the game. Tatum is allowing WAY too much solid contact lately. I'm no pitching guru- but my guess is Tatum needs to get his arm up a little more to get the ball to go DOWN. Sorry for going RogueDawg on everyone there for a second with mechanics.

Pilkington did a good job. Tonight was his chance to show that he was ready for the SEC- and while I can't say he failed the test, I can't say he passed it either. He just didn't go quite deep enough and he was pretty much done by the fourth inning. Don't get me wrong- he pitched well overall and did a good job. He's just not ready yet- like a freshman QB wouldn't be ready either. If we do throw him on Sunday's, we're going to have to manage it like we did tonight with the exception of using Tatum. Everyone sees the result, and it may very well get down to that.

Also- no walks and 11 K's. It doesn't get a lot better than that.

Everyone that started on offense had a hit tonight except for Cody Brown- and even he had good at bats and walked twice and part of that was because USM matched up a lot of his AB's. One thing that stood out to me was how well we ran the bases. Honestly, it was probably the best I have ever seen under Cohen. That's one reason why we were able to put pressure on them. I will say that USM's OF's weren't very good defensively- and we took FULL advantage of it. And at the risk of this turning into another long ridiculous thread- we bunted the ball VERY well tonight. The squeeze play by Gridley was beautiful and I think it swung momentum back into our favor. THAT is why I like bunting- because if you use it properly you can do things like that sometimes. Two other times we bunted to lead off an inning- so that obviously wasn't a SAC situation. We did have a SAC bunt- and we cashed it into a run. Good execution on our part there as well. When you combine small ball with the power that we now have added to the lineup, we all see the results and it's pretty good. I was also very impressed at how we took quality at bats throughout the game even though they threw a lot of different pitchers at us.

Marrero is really good- he has had his issues defensively but most of that is being a freshman and not being all that familiar with our pitchers as he will when he is a junior. Very good hitting approach as well.

GREAT to see Nate Lowe have a good night at the plate after all the rotten luck he has had. The "double" he had USM's LF lost the ball I guess- and their SS did a great job to even get a glove on it. I thought Gavin had the key play of the game turning a double play in the first inning on a rocket that could have put USM up a couple of runs with one out. He doesn't make that play three weeks ago- and he looks so much better than he did even against Oregon. Kudos to whomever is hitting him ground balls in Starkville because no doubt they are spending hours doing it.

Gridley was outstanding tonight- he had several key hits and did a great job on the squeeze play. He did make an error but I can live it because we were up by several runs and it was a really tough play to make. Holland did OK- he does look better defensively to me than he did last year.

Mangum is playing very well. He did a nice job in the first inning getting Robson home and that along with Robson's triple set the tone for us. I'll be honest- I thought Robson was about to have ANOTHER inside the park home run. A little surprised we stopped him. No worse for wear though. Robson also had the SAC bunt- which is not the worst idea because he is more likely to beat it out than anyone else on our team. Cody had a tough night- but still battled. I wish he had made the over the shoulder diving grab when Tatum was pitching but that was an extremely tough play. Even when he doesn't get a hit, I LOVE the way he plays.

Humphreys had two of the worst AB's for us early- but to his credit he picked it up later and came up with some big hits. He has improved a lot.

Next up is Ole Miss in Starkville. It's going to be tough because they will sell their wives to beat us. See their football recruiting as exhibit A. They've played pretty well this year up until last week and they play Memphis at Autozone tomorrow. We need to keep doing what we are doing- and hopefully we find someone that can pitch on Sunday.

Finally- good to see Ross Mitchell throw out the first pitch tonight.

Hail State my friends.

Dawg61
03-30-2016, 03:45 AM
Legs/balance, landing point and follow through have much more to do with where the pitch ends up than the arm slot. Pitching like most actions in sports are more about correct use of your body weight and balance control than your arms. Legs are 80% of pitching.

Todd4State
03-30-2016, 06:17 AM
It certainly could be that he is not following through like he needs to. Not doing that can lead to the ball being left up as well. Tatum does seem to finish sort of high naturally based on his delivery.

I'm not sure what it is that he is doing wrong- but whether it's his arm slot being slightly down, not following through or something else- the coaches need to figure it out and fix it.

shoeless joe
03-30-2016, 07:07 AM
It certainly could be that he is not following through like he needs to. Not doing that can lead to the ball being left up as well. Tatum does seem to finish sort of high naturally based on his delivery.

I'm not sure what it is that he is doing wrong- but whether it's his arm slot being slightly down, not following through or something else- the coaches need to figure it out and fix it.

Arm slot CAN be a huge factor. Not saying it is or isn't with Tatum but in my mind it's always beneficial to create as much down angle as possible. Especially on a flat fastball. If the ball has sink or run to it then the down angle isn't as important but it still is a big way for the pitcher to increase his odds of succes over the hitter.

BB30
03-30-2016, 08:25 AM
Arm slot does factor in if the kid is throwing at a slot he is not naturally comfortable with. I think it is extremely important to find the players natural arm slot. Great example was Chad his natural slot all along was the 3/4 once that was figured out the ball came out much smoother and the BB had better action. Not every kid is the same.

Dawg61
03-30-2016, 09:06 AM
Looks to me like Tatum is too upright and isn't following through low enough. If he tries "sitting down" while in his windup and scraping the ground with his hand on his follow through he will have no problems keeping the ball down.

GTHOM
03-30-2016, 10:05 AM
Todd4State do we win the series vs OM or no

Ralph
03-30-2016, 10:16 AM

I've been talking so much trash on Twitter lately I hope like hell we do.

Political Hack
03-30-2016, 10:48 AM
Arm slot does factor in if the kid is throwing at a slot he is not naturally comfortable with. I think it is extremely important to find the players natural arm slot. Great example was Chad his natural slot all along was the 3/4 once that was figured out the ball came out much smoother and the BB had better action. Not every kid is the same.

This is so true. It kills me to watch coaches tell every kid that they need the same throwing motion. Everyone's body is slightly different and has different mechanics. You have to go with what feels natural to them, so long as they're not slinging their arm out of socket.

War Machine Dawg
03-30-2016, 11:57 AM
I have a special dislike for USM baseball ever since they tried to arrest Ron Polk for arguing with an umpire. So, I always enjoy beating the ever living crap out of them.

We have some bullpen issues- but we also have some potential solutions in Rigby and Humphreys. Both need to pitch more. If that means DH Humphreys from here on out, so be it. And I like Kruger a lot- but we have more issues with the bullpen than we do with the offense right now. Rigby was lights out tonight- and he proved he could go three against a RH heavy lineup. Humphreys was the pleasant surprise to me in that he was able to go two and dominate. That is potentially HUGE for us if he can eat up 3-4 innings weekend as opposed to 1-2. Tatum is STILL keeping the ball up in the zone too much- and it's as straight as an arrow. He's a fly ball pitcher at this point. I did feel bad in that he had some bad luck on the check swing hit that we should have eaten up in hindsight- but I have no problem with us trying to make that play at that point in the game. Tatum is allowing WAY too much solid contact lately. I'm no pitching guru- but my guess is Tatum needs to get his arm up a little more to get the ball to go DOWN. Sorry for going RogueDawg on everyone there for a second with mechanics.

Pilkington did a good job. Tonight was his chance to show that he was ready for the SEC- and while I can't say he failed the test, I can't say he passed it either. He just didn't go quite deep enough and he was pretty much done by the fourth inning. Don't get me wrong- he pitched well overall and did a good job. He's just not ready yet- like a freshman QB wouldn't be ready either. If we do throw him on Sunday's, we're going to have to manage it like we did tonight with the exception of using Tatum. Everyone sees the result, and it may very well get down to that.

Everyone that started on offense had a hit tonight except for Cody Brown- and even he had good at bats and walked twice and part of that was because USM matched up a lot of his AB's. One thing that stood out to me was how well we ran the bases. Honestly, it was probably the best I have ever seen under Cohen. That's one reason why we were able to put pressure on them. I will say that USM's OF's weren't very good defensively- and we took FULL advantage of it. And at the risk of this turning into another long ridiculous thread- we bunted the ball VERY well tonight. The squeeze play by Gridley was beautiful and I think it swung momentum back into our favor. THAT is why I like bunting- because if you use it properly you can do things like that sometimes. Two other times we bunted to lead off an inning- so that obviously wasn't a SAC situation. We did have a SAC bunt- and we cashed it into a run. Good execution on our part there as well. When you combine small ball with the power that we now have added to the lineup, we all see the results and it's pretty good. I was also very impressed at how we took quality at bats throughout the game even though they threw a lot of different pitchers at us.

Marrero is really good- he has had his issues defensively but most of that is being a freshman and not being all that familiar with our pitchers as he will when he is a junior. Very good hitting approach as well.

Hail State my friends.

Way to go all red herring. No one is complaining about Robson or Gridley dropping down a leadoff bunt and using their speed. That's what they SHOULD be doing, especially Robson. Honestly, I love seeing him drop one down and beat it out. What people are complaining about are the SACs with our power guys early in the game. Just stop calling for a SAC before at least the 7th inning, preferably the 8th, and most of the complaining (minus Will James/Blackout/Dawg62) would disappear.

Definitely like seeing the progress from Marrero. He's going to be a beast for us.

Why is no one talking about Padgett as a potential Sunday guy? He's looked pretty good when he's been out there. At this point, I'd start one of Pilk/Breaux/Small/Padgett on Sunday and basically have them do a Trevor Fitts - one time through the order, then the next guy comes in. Tatum and Houston need to stop even dressing out, because they're killing us. If we're going to get shelled out of the pen, I'd rather go with the freshmen - at least they might improve. Tatum and Houston are juniors. If they haven't put it together by now, they never will.

maroonmania
03-30-2016, 12:28 PM
Like what I'm seeing with this team overall. The biggest drag on the team right now is the quartet of Daniel Brown/Zac Houston/Vance Tatum/Paul Young. Those are all talented guys that have pitched or at least been in our program for multiple years. Even without depending on freshmen, I can't believe out of that group we can't get enough out of at least one or two of them to make us competitive on the SEC 3rd day. That's not a lot to ask for given what Hudson and Sexton are giving us the first 2 days so far. Dang, Tatum has just become a BP pitcher lately.

Tbonewannabe
03-30-2016, 12:39 PM
Like what I'm seeing with this team overall. The biggest drag on the team right now is the quartet of Daniel Brown/Zac Houston/Vance Tatum/Paul Young. Those are all talented guys that have pitched or at least been in our program for multiple years. Even without depending on freshmen, I can't believe out of that group we can't get enough out of at least one or two of them to make us competitive on the SEC 3rd day. That's not a lot to ask for given what Hudson and Sexton are giving us the first 2 days so far. Dang, Tatum has just become a BP pitcher lately.

Crazy thing is that group of guys have a chance to get drafted in the first 20 rounds. The freshmen at least look like we might get something out of them before they get drafted. We have had several pitchers over the last 10 years that come in and don't do much and then still get drafted. I just wish those guys would put it together and we would be a really tough team.

BB30
03-30-2016, 03:59 PM
Several of those kids have some upside and projection to them. They will get drafted and get the opportunity to get a ton of innings in rookie ball/short season and either they will develop or they won't. That is the great thing about the minor leagues you get run out there no matter how you are performing and will get your innings whereas in college every game and every inning matters and if you are not performing you won't play. Doesn't matter if you have a 95mph fb if you can't throw strikes you don't play. In minor league ball you get out there till you figure it out.

Todd4State
03-30-2016, 05:38 PM

I will be satisfied if we win two out of three. At home, and if Hudson and Sexton pitch like they have been and we keep hitting like we have been, it could happen. Ole Miss will play us tough though and they have some good hitters- plus Robinson and Cloyd have killed us at the plate in years past. So, it won't be easy.

I also want to see how Ole Miss does against Memphis tonight.

Todd4State
03-30-2016, 05:44 PM
Way to go all red herring. No one is complaining about Robson or Gridley dropping down a leadoff bunt and using their speed. That's what they SHOULD be doing, especially Robson. Honestly, I love seeing him drop one down and beat it out. What people are complaining about are the SACs with our power guys early in the game. Just stop calling for a SAC before at least the 7th inning, preferably the 8th, and most of the complaining (minus Will James/Blackout/Dawg62) would disappear.

Definitely like seeing the progress from Marrero. He's going to be a beast for us.

Why is no one talking about Padgett as a potential Sunday guy? He's looked pretty good when he's been out there. At this point, I'd start one of Pilk/Breaux/Small/Padgett on Sunday and basically have them do a Trevor Fitts - one time through the order, then the next guy comes in. Tatum and Houston need to stop even dressing out, because they're killing us. If we're going to get shelled out of the pen, I'd rather go with the freshmen - at least they might improve. Tatum and Houston are juniors. If they haven't put it together by now, they never will.

I wasn't talking to/about the people that think we should bunt with guys like Robson. I agree we shouldn't bunt our power hitters.

Padgett has a high ceiling- but his command isn't where it needs to be right now. He has 3 BB's and allowed a hit in only 2 IP with 1 K. We'll see where he is next when we play UT-Martin.

Todd4State
03-30-2016, 05:46 PM
This is so true. It kills me to watch coaches tell every kid that they need the same throwing motion. Everyone's body is slightly different and has different mechanics. You have to go with what feels natural to them, so long as they're not slinging their arm out of socket.

And to be clear- I don't think we should completely overhaul Tatum's mechanics or do anything drastic like that. I'm talking about him getting his arm up less than an inch.

All they need to do is look at some video of him against Oklahoma and some video of him now and compare it side by side. They'll probably pick up on whatever is wrong pretty quickly.